PDA

View Full Version : Primer question, et. al.

Lead melter
02-15-2008, 08:51 AM
I just started viewing this portion of the site, as I have been kicking an idea around in my head for a little while and figure I could get some info here. Seems you guys have done a lot more than me on the matter, so lets go forth.

1] The idea of using 444 Marlin brass for a 410 bore shotshell is intriguing. Is this brass loaded using standard recipes for shotshells, or are they reduced in any way?

2] Since the 444 uses a rifle primer which is considerably smaller than a shotshell primer, is there any problem with the firing pin striking center, or with the pin piercing the primer? It seems that a spent shotshell primer has a much deeper indentation than a rifle primer.

3] Can standard shot cups be used in the 444, or must they be trimmed, or does the length of the brass require filler wads over the powder to raise the shot cup to near the mouth of the brass? I really like the idea of using the 44 caliber gas check crimped in the mouth to keep the shot inside the case. Good thinking!

4] According to the Lee literature, their 12 gauge slug can be loaded into a standard shotcup, then fold crimped. It seems to me [mind you, I'm a novice at this] that this setup could well be used in a rifled slug barrel. The soft lead slug, as well as the shot cup would swage to fit the rifling, while the rifling would impart spin to the slug, making its flight much more stable. Problems might arise from the spinning shot cup deflecting the slug flight, or the cup being torn when engaging the rifling. Other than these, I can't see any problems.

I'm sure I have missed something, so enlighten my feeble mind, please.

Several years ago I made up a batch of 41 magnum and 45 Colt shot loads for snakes, rats and such. I used my case chamfering tool to put a keen inside edge on an empty cartridge, then used it as a cookie cutter to cut out wads from a piece of waxed cardboard. Standard primer, 6 grains Winchester 231, over-powder wad, enough #9 shot to fill the case near the top, another wad over the shot, heavy crimp, then a few drops of melted paraffin to seal. These are simply death on any varmint within 25 feet, but that soft shot will make the barrel look like a lunar landscape if too many are used. Just my 2 cents worth. [I just discovered my keyboard doesn't have a "cent" symbol. Damn commies! :x]

Lightning22
02-15-2008, 03:17 PM
You may find this (http://www.endtimesreport.com/410reloading.html) interesting.

Rich

kycrawler
02-17-2008, 11:29 AM
large rifle or large pistol primer work well in al of my 410's no pierced primers yet depending on the load i do have to trim 410 wads when used in 444 cases

if your going to crimp a gas check over the load run it through a 430 sizer first then crimp it in i just glue a piece of .030 cardboard cut with a sharpened 44 mag case over the shot to keep it in i use the gas checks for 3 ball loads and buck loads to keep them seperate