PDA

View Full Version : Viridain ECR green laser

Lee
12-07-2014, 06:04 PM
Anyone have a clue how the Viridian R5 Green laser works. Just got one, and it claims to be off in the holster, turns on when you pull it out. I've looked, and can not discover the technology (other than Penn&Teller Magic) that does this. Magnets? Capacitance? I've been around the block, and this one has me puzzled. Email to Viridian, but I don't expect an answer. Reason? Anything that senses anything needs energy to do that. If that is so, then how long will the battery last sitting there sensing anything.
Don't want to pick up a dead battery in the middle of the day/night!!!

Thanks .... Lee

MaryB
12-07-2014, 09:30 PM
Motion sensor maybe, senses a large movement. Many different versions out there that are tiny.

Artful
12-07-2014, 09:42 PM
How about a simple switch that is pushed into off by holster and when you remove from contact from the holster it turns on.

Menner
12-07-2014, 10:28 PM
A small magnet could open the circuit (micro switch) when in the holster and micro switch could close when removed from the magnet

Lee
12-07-2014, 11:01 PM
Menner!

I needed a bigger magnet to test!
There is a small magnet(s) sewn in the holster. My big kitchen magnet turns it on and off! Bingo! Good FYI for anyone who is wondering.
BUT..... it needs some sensing circuitry during the quiescent state. I'm questioning Viridian as to battery life while holstered. Hate to grab it and find dead batteries when needed.

Lithium batteries, so should last a while. I'll report back if I hear from them.... Later ..... Lee

Omega
12-07-2014, 11:07 PM
Menner!

I needed a bigger magnet to test!
There is a small magnet(s) sewn in the holster. My big kitchen magnet turns it on and off! Bingo! Good FYI for anyone who is wondering.
BUT..... it needs some sensing circuitry during the quiescent state. I'm questioning Viridian as to battery life while holstered. Hate to grab it and find dead batteries when needed.

Lithium batteries, so should last a while. I'll report back if I hear from them.... Later ..... LeeSooo...it only works with that holster? Seems they would make it work with any holster since I have more holsters than guns.

BDJ
12-08-2014, 04:57 AM
Ω check out the video. The guy built a IWB holster for Viridain laser.
Some guys down the street from me make (leather) holsters, I bet they could make me one that would work with the Viridain system. I'll be lookin' into this for the wife.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFEViz2XGfI

tomme boy
12-08-2014, 09:55 AM
Battery will be fine. It does not use any power until it is out of the holster. If the lights inyour house are turned off, are they using any power?

Menner
12-08-2014, 07:22 PM
The magnets just pull a switch which opens the circuit there should be no power drain while in the holster it would be a mechanical operation no need for circuitry just magnets and a spring flat or coil prob a flat spring
Tony

MaryB
12-08-2014, 08:52 PM
Reed switch is used with magnets.

Lee
12-09-2014, 07:49 PM
From a CSR at Viridian, and read it carefully, it makes some sense....................

1) It is a powerful magnet that turns the laseroff and then on.
2) Yes there will be a slow drain no matter if“on” or in the off mode. Battery life inside unit without use 6 months. Andwith the unit on 1 hour.
3) You can test the ECR function by sliding it onthe outside of the holster if you would like.

The holster sticks to the side of the fridge. Magnet verified!

Hall effect semiconductors also will work with magnets!

"OFF" in the holster I don't know if there is any battery drain. I'll try to pursue that question..............

"ON" and holstered there WILL be a battery drain, (according to them), as the laser has to sense the presence/absence of a magnet near the unit, and turn it on with the pre-selected mode. Read what they say ..... 6 months. I'll try to get more specific on that, but if I need to leave it turned "OFF" in order to avoid battery drain, that kinda defeats the purpose of a lithium battery.......

6 months ..... 1 hour.........

Menner
12-09-2014, 09:42 PM
I think he talking about the natural life of an installed battery
Yes there will be a slow drain no matter if“on” or in the off mode. Battery life inside unit without use 6 months
The 6 month timeline is a pretty safe estimate of the battery life basically saying that you should change the battery every 6 months to ensure reliable operation of the laser
I agree that leaving it in the off mode defeats the purpose and intended use to have a laser that comes on automatically when drawn from the holster looks like a nice unit I bought a grip laser ( Crimson Trace notch off) for my 1911 and was not happy with it, it soon came off but I think I like this one may have to have one