PDA

View Full Version : Dixie guns Pedersoli Sharps rifles

weasel 21
02-15-2008, 04:41 AM
I was checking out the 1874 long range target model 34" barrel that weighs 12lbs. What do you guys think of the quality of these guns? I guess Dixie is respected in this business.

218bee
02-15-2008, 06:36 PM
First off let me say I do not own a Pedersoli. I have seen ONE and was able to shoot it.
It seemed to be a decent rifle. The quality is not the same as a C. Sharps, Shiloh Sharps or other current made "semi-custom" rifles available. I personally would shop for a used one of the above makers and if I could find one for a few hundred dollars more than a new Pedersoli, would go that route. I believe the Pedersoli's are around a $1000. ?? Having said that, the Pedersoli may suit your needs just fine for informal target work and fun. You may get a really good one. Just my opinion for what its worth(not much), hope I did not confuse you more.

13Echo
02-15-2008, 07:01 PM
I have a Pedersoli Long Range Rifle in 45-90. Pedersoli barrels are first rate and the actions are well made. Inletting on my stock is excellent but the shaping of the stock isn't as crisp as on a Shiloh. None-the-less it is a very accurate rifle, consistently grouping 1 to 1.5" at 100yds. When I bought it it cost a heck of a lot less than a Shiloh. Would I prefer a Shiloh? Yes and with today's exchange rate I might have gone the much smaller extra difference to get the Shiloh. That said I'm very pleased with my Pedersoli and I intend to keep it. It just plain shoots too good to let go.

Jerry Liles

freedom475
02-15-2008, 07:16 PM
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_92_184&products_id=984

I have had 2 pedersoli's.........accuracy is amazing! and the guns are built very well. I sold one of them and then realized that I couldn't live without it, so back to the store I went and bought it back for plenty more $ than I sold it for.(lol)

This has been talked about A LOT lately, and usually gets pretty heated ....so I would do a search here too.

http://www.csharpsarms.com/1874_hartford.php. I would have a long look at this American made rifle before I'd buy. This is a Suggested retail price so if you have a dealer friend you could probly get this number shaved down a bit. The resale and quality of this rifle is way better. And well worth the cost difference.

Blkpwdrbuff
02-16-2008, 09:26 PM
Guys, I read about looking for used Shiloh and C.Sharps rifles.
Where are you looking? I am considering a Dixie Pedersoli also, as soon as I can peddle my IAB. IF the prices are near each other, I'd rather have a Shiloh or C.Sharps.
Any info is much appreciated.
Blkpwdrbuff:castmine:

Razor
02-16-2008, 09:46 PM
There are some on www.gunbroker.com right now..
you might try www.auctionarms.com also.

Razor
:castmine:

montana_charlie
02-16-2008, 10:16 PM
I am considering a Dixie Pedersoli also, as soon as I can peddle my IAB. IF the prices are near each other, I'd rather have a Shiloh or C.Sharps.
Any info is much appreciated.
You said 'any info'...and it all depends on which model you are looking at on the Dixie site.

You just will never (never say never?) find a used Shiloh or used C. Sharps for $950, but you'll find a new Pedersoli Business Rifle for that price at Dixie.
It is not their fanciest gun, but it still has the Pedersoli barrel...and that is the heart of any BPCR. The rear barrel sight is pretty primitive, but it can be replaced (down the line) if you like the ladder sight better.

The next two in price are the Lightweight Hunter and the Silhouette at $1150.
Dixie has had them listed at that price for close to a year, now, and the only difference between them is the buttstock.

That Silhouette is the same configuration as the Shiloh Montana Roughrider...but at least seven hundred dollars cheaper when you add the excise tax to the Big Timber price.

I have watched used Shiloh prices (at the online sites) pretty religiously for over a year, and their prices are never much below the current 'new' price. In addition, even for a five year old gun that is still unfired...the price jumps every time Shiloh posts a price increase.

I recently saw a Shiloh offered by a private party for $1000. It was the wrong caliber and wrong barrel (for me) but it was a nice gun...and the only 'low price' I have ever seen for a Shiloh. Before I could even wonder about it, she was gone...
CM

Blkpwdrbuff
02-16-2008, 11:41 PM
Thanks, guys.
It looks like I'll be trying to get a Pedersoli 1874 Sharps Target rifle from Dixie.
It lists for $1025.
I can get tht past the wife a lot easier than a $1500-$2000 gun.
If I showed up with that I'd be headed for the big"D" in a hurry!
I believe my local gun dealer can do a little better than list, at least that is what the guys in my blackpowder club tell me.
Thanks again for the input. You guys are a wealth of information!
Blkpwdrbuff:castmine:

Bull Schmitt
02-17-2008, 02:42 PM
If it is the same as my Pedersoli 1874 long range target model with a 34" barrel it is too heavy for "sillywet".

Bull Schmitt