PDA

View Full Version : Just starting out with .32 Win Special

Knipper
12-07-2014, 05:33 PM
I was thinking of getting into casting bullets for my .32 Winchester special since my "go-to" guy at Montana Bullet Works is getting out of the business. The last batch he sent me were just fantastic, with all the specs listed on the bullet package. He sized these to .322 with a BNH around 22, since I'm loading them to shoot at about 2170 fps.

My question is, should I get the RCBS 08-170FNGC, which lists at .323 diameter, and then try to size them down to .322, or just get the mold listed at .321? I know I have some equipment to buy, but this caliber seems to be disappearing from retailer listings and I want to be able to shoot it for years to come. I have a lot of research to do before starting, but the bullet mold ( and possibly sizing dies) are the heart of the process, and I want to get that first. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Knipper

roharmon
12-07-2014, 06:14 PM
For what it's worth, I use the Lee 8mm mold. They come out of the mold at .324, and I load and shoot them un-sized.

cuzinbruce
12-07-2014, 06:43 PM
First, let me say Welcome!
If the bullets come out at .323, you would have no problem sizing to .322. Sizing a bullet down a couple thousandths is normal, done all the time. As you get into this, you will find that different mixes of metal will affect the diameter of the bullets you are casting. If the bullets you bought were sized .322, that is a pretty good place to start. If you are loading to 2000+ fps, you will want a pretty hard bullet. Later you can learn about slugging barrels and the like. The RCBS mold you mention looks fine. Just get into it and have fun. When you have a question, just post here and you will get plenty of help.
Bruce

Scharfschuetze
12-07-2014, 09:15 PM
Yes, welcome to the forum!

Your rifle will eventually tell you what sizing die to use after some testing with various diameters. I use a Lyman design sized to .322" in my Model 64 Winchester with good results, but that may or may not work for you.

By the way, what rifle model do you have and what does the bore slug out at?

Nrut
12-07-2014, 09:29 PM
I was thinking of getting into casting bullets for my .32 Winchester special since my "go-to" guy at Montana Bullet Works is getting out of the business. The last batch he sent me were just fantastic, with all the specs listed on the bullet package. He sized these to .322 with a BNH around 22, since I'm loading them to shoot at about 2170 fps.

My question is, should I get the RCBS 08-170FNGC, which lists at .323 diameter, and then try to size them down to .322, or just get the mold listed at .321? I know I have some equipment to buy, but this caliber seems to be disappearing from retailer listings and I want to be able to shoot it for years to come. I have a lot of research to do before starting, but the bullet mold ( and possibly sizing dies) are the heart of the process, and I want to get that first. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Knipper
If you like the Montana Bullet Works bullet then send a couple to Tom at Accurate Molds and have him make you a copy..
Check out his website..
He may already be making a copy of your bullet..

photomicftn
12-07-2014, 09:52 PM
You might want to check out Mountain Molds at www.mountainmolds.com

The site allows you to design and view depictions of molds of your own design, which will then be created in aluminum or brass blocks. No HPs, but very good otherwise. I have bought 1/2 dozen from him, from .32 S&W Long to .500 Linebaugh. I'm very satisfied.

451whitworth
12-11-2014, 10:36 AM
I use LBT LFN's and NOE RD 325-180 both sized @ .325" in a pre micro groove and micro groove Marlin

Harter66
12-11-2014, 12:34 PM
I use a 323 170 R2 in a 32 Rem ,a very close cousin of the Winchester. The bbl is .316x.321 they shot well enough for me sized at .323 from water dropped WW.