PDA

View Full Version : Cartridges not ejecting cleanly from LNL AP

Jtarm
12-07-2014, 04:42 PM
I just started using it loading .38 spls and the loaded rounds are not ejecting cleanly.

Most look like the picture below. It's no big deal, I just give em a shove & they drop.

I tried dropping the ram harder and they eject, but the wrong way. That retention coil is just like a slingshot.

Maybe 10% eject cleanly.

lancem
12-07-2014, 04:50 PM
Don't have time to run out and look at mine, but I think the spring isn't on correctly. I'm thinking by time it gets to the eject station the spring is completely out of the way of the cartridge. I'm thinking it like runs under the shell plate at that point.

blaser.306
12-07-2014, 04:50 PM
Check for a burr where the retainer spring is supposed to start to drop out of the way, it looks like your retainer is staying up too high and slipping up onto the top of the rim on your brass ( they should be "free" when they go to position #5) . I have loaded MANY thousands of 38 spec. loads with my LNL and they should just about jump into the box when finished.

JASON4X4
12-07-2014, 09:18 PM
Like they all say check your spring it doesn't look like its seated in the groove

Guardian
12-08-2014, 02:15 PM
As stated, the spring is not in the groove in the subplate (under the shellplate) between stations 5 and 1. This is step 6 on page 7 of the LNL AP manual (http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/manuals-current/metalic-reloading/LNL_AP.pdf) (though, they don't do a great job of illustrating it). With the shell plate empty and the handle in the up position, place your finger on the spring in station 5. While holding the spring, cycle the handle down until the shellplate advances, then return the handle to the up position (short stroking the press). Remove your finger and repeat the short stroke. It should be good to go.

You'll have to repeat this every time you remove the shellplate.

Jtarm
12-08-2014, 03:09 PM
Yeah it was the spring.

Thanks!