PDA

View Full Version : mini 14 target not too bad.

HARRYMPOPE
12-07-2014, 03:30 PM
I picked up one of the stainless laminate stock target minis a couple of weeks ago .hadn't really expected much but Jacket groups are shooting 1" and sometimes a under.With some lead loads I had for another gun that didn't cycle the action completely but shot under 2" at a hundred.all in all not a real bad option if you don't like the AR15.

these are the last two groups of the day one of the left is it 200 on the right is it 100 with a hand load with the nosler of varmageddon.

LoopSoosStroop
12-07-2014, 04:12 PM
Very nice!

Artful
12-08-2014, 01:07 AM
I'm glad you Mini-14 shoots so well, A lot of the older ones we had to work to get even close to your groups.

HARRYMPOPE
12-08-2014, 01:25 PM
I'm glad you Mini-14 shoots so well, A lot of the older ones we had to work to get even close to your groups.

that was my experience as well. Generally I found them to be a three or four minute of angle gun once they warmed up. Sometimes when the barrels were cold and shot slowly Id get under 2".

Bonz
12-08-2014, 01:28 PM
I always wanted one but heard from just about everyone that they were really bad once the barrels got warmed up. Is this fixed now ?

dragon813gt
12-08-2014, 02:10 PM
I was expecting to see a panorama pic of the side of a barn w/ holes spread out all over it. I know some of them can shoot. But there have been so many horror stories over the years.

runfiverun
12-08-2014, 11:20 PM
a few years ago ruger stopped production of the mini-14 and revamped the whole process.
they now shoot like a normal rifle.

dilly
12-09-2014, 12:33 AM
I looked into getting a mini 14 but all of what I'm about to say is hearsay and I could be mistaken.

The older minis had the pencil barrels and they were not very accurate at all. The newer minis have a little more thickness along the barrel and they're pretty accurate. Aesthetically the difference is not terribly obvious. The target models, which is what this the OP has have a big vibration dampener on the front that almost looks like a suppressor. They are supposed to be very accurate for a mini 14 but it kind of takes the handiness out of them which does not appeal to me.

DR Owl Creek
12-09-2014, 01:42 PM
Very nice! It looks like you've really done your part too.

Dave