PDA

View Full Version : Pressure casting with lyman ladle

str8shot426
12-07-2014, 02:28 PM
I have been using a lee ladle up until now. I just aquired a lyman spout ladle and tried pressure casting, I get beautiful boolits but ugly sprues.

Thoughts...experience.

country gent
12-07-2014, 02:34 PM
Who cares about the sprue? Its going to get remelted anyways. I opened the spout on my Lymann to .205 dia hole for a faster pour with the heavier bullets I cast and cut vents on my sprue plates so I can pour a full ladle allowing to flow of and giving a consistent sprue everytime.

newrib
12-07-2014, 03:58 PM
In my limited casting experience I have found that the most consistent bullets (30cal) are pressure cast, however I let the ladle make a puddle on top of the sprue plate. I make the pour over the pot after the cavity is filled I wait about 2 seconds and while tilting the mold slightly the ladle is lifted making the puddle. This will take a little practice but it produces a good bullet with a nice sharp base. Good Luck.

bangerjim
12-07-2014, 04:33 PM
I use pressure casting all the time on certain molds with my 4-20 pot and with a bottom-side pour ladle. If you stick the spout down in the sprue, you have virtually NOT sprue! Don't worry about it. Just remelt anything you cut off.

bangerjim

44man
12-07-2014, 04:35 PM
Not really pressure casting but hold the ladle just long enough for the boolit to take molten lead from the ladle and tip off. No need for a huge sprue since the boolit has all it needs.
Consider it molten lead feed. Better then trying to let the boolit pull from a hardening sprue.