PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Gunsmith, S&W

Tatume
12-07-2014, 02:25 PM
Hello Folks,

If you were going to commission a custom N-frame hunting gun, who would you get to build it? What would you specify for your gun?

Thanks, Tom

crabo
12-07-2014, 07:45 PM
What are some of your requirements? Are you talking custom barrel profile and length? How do you want to carry it? What caliber. With Smiths you are limited on how hot you can load them. The Rugers can take load levels the Smiths cannot.

Having a 7.5" PC gun in 44, I wonder what you are really trying to do without more info.

KYCaster
12-07-2014, 11:43 PM
Cylinder & Slide

Jerry

StrawHat
12-08-2014, 08:17 AM
If it were my revolver, I would want a 4" or 5" (whatever is legal) barreled N frame chambered for the 45 long Colt or maybe the 45 ACP. As for customizing, I would find a local engraver and have it prettied up and then carry it in a custom holster.

I have used both the 45 long Colt and the 45 ACP for hunting and find them fine as they come from the S&W factory, just a change of grips and lots of firing to wear in the action. for my style of hunting, I have used stock sights but recently I am considering using a gold bead front sight for added visibility.

Not so much custom as customized for me.

FlatTop45LC
12-08-2014, 02:06 PM
I would want a 45 Colt with a 4" barrel. Barrel would be a heavy taper with a perfect bore. Sights would be pre-war rear adjustable and a fine gold bead front. Sights regulated with rear all the way down to a 255 grain cast boolit at 900 fps.

Grips would be mesquite burl fitted to my hand.

Finish would be high luster blue.

It would ride in a custom holster patterned after a Keith 120.

Ballard
12-08-2014, 05:57 PM
Jim Stroh Alpha Precision did mine on a 629 Mountain Gun. Slicked up the action, and Taylor throated it. I believe he's retired now.