PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for a new press

LUCKYDAWG13
12-07-2014, 02:12 PM
i would like to up grade my single stage press after the new year. this will just be used for 223 up to 30/06
I load about 1500 to 2000 rifle rounds a year. i have been using a Lyman press that my Dad bought back in the
early 1960 / Late 1950 and its been on my bench for the last 30 years. it time to move on so help me pick
a new press this needs to go 123826

country gent
12-07-2014, 02:30 PM
An u[pgrade towhat style press, Turret, progressive, or just a newer single satage unit? That old lymann is probably better built than most on the market now and a family hierloom to boot. If ugrading to a newer single station press look at the new RCBS Summit ( mounts flush with bench face) or the Bonnanza Co AX a nice set up and very useable. Both of these have some restrictions to what can be done in them as the over head linkage and some taller wider tooling interferes with the handle or linkage. The Rock chucker is an old stand by thats been around for many years. Ive never used a turret press but there are several available still. Progressives Im a fan of the dillons ( I have 2 650s) get the case feeders and plenty of tool heads. Look around hit shops that have displays if possible and look them over, see what you like. Get one with plenty of leverage as this makes case sizing reforming much easier and saves on fatige when loading. I have both the summit and co ax and use them alot. Also an old rock chucker, lymann mag press, a little lee c-frame, and the dillons. All are good units and useable, some are heavier and have more leverage than others. Most overhang the front of the bench.

W.R.Buchanan
12-07-2014, 02:37 PM
I would say a general clean up and a coat of paint would get you where you need to go. I have never seen a worn out Reloading Press, and that one is far from it.

If you are looking at a new one, an RCBS Rockchucker is about the Gold Standard. There are plenty of other single stage presses out there and every company that makes reloading equipment sells them, however none are better than the RCBS Press, and none are that much worse. And none will do anything that the one you've got already won't do.

There are a lot of guys here, myself included, that "restore" tools like you have. I am working on a C&H Shotshell press right now.

It requires disassembling the tool wire brushing all the metal parts to remove any rust, applying a little elbow grease, and then painting the castings with a spray can of whatever color paint you deem appropriate. This is actually fun and usually only costs the price of the can of paint.

I prefer Rustoleum, or some kind of Crackle Finish.

You will find that you will have a sense of accomplishment as well as effectively a new tool. And one that will fit right back on your bench where it has been for the last 30 years and be good to go for another 30+.

Something to consider before you spend a bunch of money that you could spend on other things you actually need.

Or you could also buy a Dillon 550B which will do everything you want and much faster, and you can keep that Lyman Press as you are going to need it to break down fired cases, and do other case prep work.

I see little reason to replace a single stage press with another newer one, if you really want to upgrade then buy the Dillon. It sounds like you shoot enough to justify the purchase.

Just some thoughts to mull over in your head before Christmas.

Randy

LUCKYDAWG13
12-07-2014, 03:07 PM
i guess the main thing that i don't like on this press is the shell holder its the J type so i have to ues a J to X adapt
for my shell holders and they just don't fit right and come lose. maybe i will just look for some old J type shell holders

zuke
12-07-2014, 03:40 PM
LEE Classic Turret used as a single stage. That's what I just upgraded to.

jmort
12-07-2014, 03:45 PM
Really more a question of how much $$$ is in your budget for the new press. Some people can afford to get a 1050 but get a Classic Cast or Classic Turret.

sw282
12-07-2014, 04:00 PM
Lucky--After 30+yrs l decided to treat myself to a new bench.. l chose a Harbor Freight oak bench l caught on sale.. Great bench..lt has drawers to put stuff in like calipers and small tools..After setting the bench up l realized my 0le RockChucker was gonna block HALF those precious drawers.. No way was that happening.. So l start looking for a press that will mount atop the bench..After a long hunt l fell upon the RCBS Summit press...l bought and simply love it...l got the RCBS mounting plate to distribute the load better..lts fast and neat for me and with this new bench has made loading more fun too.

LUCKYDAWG13
12-07-2014, 05:07 PM
Really more a question of how much $$$ is in your budget for the new press. Some people can afford to get a 1050 but get a Classic Cast or Classic Turret.

$200 tops just looking for a good single stage

VHoward
12-07-2014, 06:03 PM
A Lee Classic Cast single stage is in your budget and is every bit as good as the RCBS Rockchucker.
https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-classic-cast-press-90998.html
It has an insert so you can use standard 7/8 x 14 dies also.

Petrol & Powder
12-07-2014, 06:37 PM
That old Lyman is a fine press. Because it is a "C"-frame as opposed to an "O"-frame it may not be as strong as an "O" frame but it is more than strong enough. Sort of like saying a 100 pound anvil is stronger than a 99 pound anvil.
Now the shell holder issue would bug me and provide justification for an up-grade in my eyes.
The prior posts covered the options well. The RCBS Rock chucker is a fine press but frankly most of the "O"-framed single stage presses are pretty good. Even some of the aluminum framed presses will give good service.

I think Randy's suggestion of keeping the Lyman and adding a Dillon 550 makes the best sense. I would never be without a good single stage press.

HeavyMetal
12-07-2014, 07:00 PM
I like the Classic Cast by Lee, matter of fact just scored one in swap and sell !!

For the amount of rounds you load I consider a Lee Classic Cast or the new Lyman Turret press with the compound linkage.

The Redding turret is nice but real spendy!!

Of course painting up the old one should be in the mix as well, I never could seem to load without at least two press's on hand, LOL!

LUCKYDAWG13
12-07-2014, 07:06 PM
the Dillon would be nice but more then i can spend right now. one more thing does the Dock Rock work well

jmort
12-07-2014, 07:16 PM
RCBS Rock Chucker or RCBS Summit or Redding Boss or Big Boss or Lyman Crusher or Lee Classic Cast would all be great choices. Lot of good choices and I don't think you could go wrong with with any of these.

1hole
12-07-2014, 07:24 PM
I have a Lyman turret and a Rock Chucker 2. I'm passing both on to family and will replace them with a Lee Classic Turret. It's as "strong" as any single stage and is, with its unique auto-indexing turret, almost as fast as a progressive. The die heads are inexpensive enough to make having one set up for each cartridge practical, which isn't true for other turret presses.

A "C" press is much stronger and spring resistant than many people believe so you won't gain as much there as you may think. What you WILL gain is a greatly reduced effort to FL size those -06 cases. And clip-in shell holders are nice too.

jmort
12-07-2014, 07:30 PM
Using the Classic Turret as a single stage is a great option. I used my Lee turret that way.

gpidaho
12-07-2014, 07:37 PM
I own two Rockchuckers, a Redding T-7 that I love and a small Lee that is dedicated to my RCBS strip priming system so haven't needed a new press but in the price range you would like to say with I think the big LEE single stage would be hard to beat, that and the Rockchucker would be my choice. GP

Mike Kerr
12-07-2014, 07:49 PM
Lucky:

Here is what you've told us:

1."this will just be used for 223 up to 30/06"

2."i guess the main thing that i don't like on this press is the shell holder its the J type so i have to ues a J to X adapt
for my shell holders and they just don't fit right and come lose. maybe i will just look for some old J type shell holders

3. "$200 tops just looking for a good single stage"

------------------------------------------------------------------
Loose shell holders seem very common with conversions from one type to another, plus with a single stage you take the case in and out more frequently than with a turret or a progressive. It has always been a curse (to me) with older equipment like my old Herters, and some older presses are cumbersome in operation. So you deserve a new press.

$200 is a reasonable budget for a Rockchucker, or a Lee Classic Cast or other current single stage designs. Co-Ax and Summits are neat but maybe not right for you. I liked my Classic Cast but did not use it as much as I thought I would. I've tried Rockchuckers but they are not really any better than the Lee Classic Cast. Both have semi effective on press priming attachments as extra cost options.

Randy is right about cleaning up and painting an older C frame like you already have. Maybe you should keep it as a backup.

The Lee Classic Turret with its iron and steel construction would give you the "feeling of strength" we all associate with a stout single stage, and Lucky, it is under $200 as well as strong and smooth. Since you load primarily rifle rounds you would enjoy its low cost and fast ease of operation. I sold my Classic Cast Single stage because I preferred a Turret operation for speed and they can be used easily as single stages. Something to think about

1911KY
12-07-2014, 08:00 PM
Lee classic turret is a nice press. Used as a single stage, manual or auto indexing turret will give you functionality you didn't have before. Changing turrets is extremely fast and convienent. It is also well within your price range.

MT Chambers
12-07-2014, 08:10 PM
Save up and get a Co-ax, the best press out there, quickest caliber change with no turrets to buy, prolly reloads more accurate ammo then any other press. Since Forster started making the press, the clearance has been increased and now will do all my long calibers, very positive priming as well.

waltherboy4040
12-07-2014, 08:14 PM
Heres my advice to you, instead of getting rid of that press keep it. Size and deprime on that press in batches. Now pick up a lee classic cast turret to prime, load powder, seat bullet and crimp all on one press.

LUCKYDAWG13
12-07-2014, 08:21 PM
Randy is right about cleaning up and painting an older C frame like you already have. Maybe you should keep it as a backup.

oh i will keep as a back up the J to X adapter do break they are not that well made i broke one last week i did have a spare
one on hand but there $20 +S/H and this is not my only press i do have two turret presses set up for my pistols Lyman S/T
so i just need a good single stage the Rockchuccker is looking good to me 123873

country gent
12-07-2014, 08:30 PM
If the only issue is the shell holders, while its downb being cleaned stripped and painted ( its disassembled any ways) take the ram to a machine shop ( also vocational schools with a machine trades class) and the new universal shell holder and have a new ram made for it that uses the universal shell holders. Its probably a standard size od and a little machine work you have a clean rebuilt press and the ram you want. The local vocational schools machine trades class is always looking for projects and normally only charge for the materials.

troyboy
12-07-2014, 08:31 PM
I'd get an original rock chucker if that is the way you are leaning. Should match the age and will at home with your comet.

Mike Kerr
12-07-2014, 08:59 PM
Lucky,

Go for that Rockchucker.

BTW are those Spar T's still smooth?

LUCKYDAWG13
12-07-2014, 09:15 PM
[QUOTE=Mike Kerr;3037483]Lucky,

Go for that Rockchucker.

BTW are those Spar T's still smooth?

yep still going strong

Petrol & Powder
12-07-2014, 10:07 PM
If the only issue is the shell holders, while its downb being cleaned stripped and painted ( its disassembled any ways) take the ram to a machine shop ( also vocational schools with a machine trades class) and the new universal shell holder and have a new ram made for it that uses the universal shell holders. Its probably a standard size od and a little machine work you have a clean rebuilt press and the ram you want. The local vocational schools machine trades class is always looking for projects and normally only charge for the materials.

/\ Well there's a good idea /\

seagiant
12-07-2014, 10:29 PM
Hi,
Kick it up a couple of notches and get one of these! It loads rifle ammo like you've never seen! You only live once and resale value is there!

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Ponsness_Warren-Metallic-II-Rifle-Pistol-Reloader/productinfo/161MET2/

LUCKYDAWG13
12-07-2014, 10:33 PM
What kind of press is that

VHoward
12-08-2014, 12:10 AM
A $500 single stage that the shell holder swings to the various stations. Manual operation. Save your money for the Rockchucker.

VHoward
12-08-2014, 12:15 AM
http://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/presses/412090
CH4D has universal rams that fit most "c" and "o" presses. It is 25 dollars and uses the standard snap in shell holders.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
12-08-2014, 12:46 AM
I have a like new Lee Classic Turret I will sell you. I think I have 3 or 4 extra turrets for it too. Of course it comes with the safety prime (both large and small) and the priming arms. Also included is the Pro auto disc with the powder discs. I think I have loaded maybe 100 rounds on it. Maybe. Just throwing this out there.

Just shoot me a PM if you are interested. Thanks!

LUCKYDAWG13
12-08-2014, 08:36 AM
http://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/presses/412090
CH4D has universal rams that fit most "c" and "o" presses. It is 25 dollars and uses the standard snap in shell holders.

thank you for the link

Frosted Boolits

IllinoisCoyoteHunter's
I have a like new Lee Classic Turret I will sell you. I think I have 3 or 4 extra turrets for it too. Of course it comes with the safety prime (both large and small) and the priming arms. Also included is the Pro auto disc with the powder discs. I think I have loaded maybe 100 rounds on it. Maybe. Just throwing this out there.

Just shoot me a PM if you are interested. Thanks

thank you for the offer

seagiant
12-08-2014, 10:14 AM
A $500 single stage that the shell holder swings to the various stations. Manual operation. Save your money for the Rockchucker.

Hi,
You guys have no imagination!

Guardian
12-08-2014, 01:42 PM
http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-equipment/reloading-presses/single-stage-presses/rcbs-rockchucker-supreme-press-prod38027.aspx

I generally recommend a LEE Classic Cast (LCC) because of the typical price differential between it and a RCBS RockChucker (RC) is $50 or more. The RC is worth every bit of $19 more (plus shipping) than a LCC, as Sinclair is currently advertising.

My suggestion is to set that classic Lyman up for your most used caliber with a J type shellholder and enjoy the use of an heirloom. Get the RC and use it for swapping to whatever other caliber. One of the Hornady LNL press inserts (and multiple die inserts) will make die changes quicker and less hassle, if you swap calibers frequently.

I hope to have one of those PW presses on my bench one day, Seagiant. It offers nothing over a T-7 turret, but would be a fun item to play with in a lesser used caliber.

Jtarm
12-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Save up and get a Co-ax, the best press out there, quickest caliber change with no turrets to buy, prolly reloads more accurate ammo then any other press. Since Forster started making the press, the clearance has been increased and now will do all my long calibers, very positive priming as well.

+1 on that, were I sticking to an SS. Keep your dies adjusted & swap quickly.

Better yet, the RCBS turret is just a hair over your price range. I haven't used it but I'd trust anything green, I've had good results with every RCBS product I've tried. My Rock Chucker is maybe a decade younger than your Lyman and still going strong.

seagiant
12-08-2014, 04:08 PM
Hi,
Ok! I get it! How bout an RCBS A2? Cast STEEL not iron and big enough to swage! RCBS= Rock Chucker Bullet Swage!

LUCKYDAWG13
12-08-2014, 05:01 PM
That looks like a good press

rfd
12-08-2014, 06:02 PM
single stage, the lee classic cast breech lock, along with as many bushing breech lock rings as dies ya have.

turret, the redding t7.

in all cases, i prime off the press with a lee auto xr.

Clark
12-09-2014, 01:08 PM
For single stage presses, I have two co-ax presses in the reloading room and two RCBS partner presses in the vehicle and next to the desk.124020

trixter
12-09-2014, 03:23 PM
drink the green koolaid, whatever your wallet can handle.

dragon813gt
12-09-2014, 03:38 PM
I wouldn't spend the money for a Rock Chucker. A Lee Classic Cast will do everything it does for less money. And it has a hollow ram for primer disposal. There are guys that swage bullets on the Lee w/ a few modifications. It's plenty strong if you were worried. I personally like getting the most from my money. The LCT is another great option if you wanted to speed up production. I like the CoAx but rarely use it. These are all presses I own and use. Not just talking about things I don't know. I also have a RCBS JR3 and Lyman Spartan that get used from time to time. But it's very rare that I use them.

seagiant
12-09-2014, 07:04 PM
drink the green koolaid, whatever your wallet can handle.

Hi,
Ha! Well color me green!:veryconfu

I think an old press from the 50/60's has SOUL....a modern LEE...not so much![smilie=s:

LUBEDUDE
12-09-2014, 07:23 PM
Hi,
Ha! Well color me green!:veryconfu

I think an old press from the 50/60's has SOUL....a modern LEE...not so much![smilie=s:

I agree 100% !

That older stuff Rocks!
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/09/1db72255322c7a7a6f22ecb4f4b8a441.jpg

seagiant
12-09-2014, 07:54 PM
Hi Lube,
Ha! Thats a scary pic! I almost died one night in a SS Chevelle like that in S.Georgia one night in the early 70's!

The boy that owned it, pulled the engine and had it balanced before it had a 100 miles on the odometer! It was scary fast (to fast) for a young kid!

That car in good shape today would be worth a lot of bucks today!

r1kk1
12-09-2014, 07:57 PM
Hey seagiant,

Does your A2 drop primers through the ram? How about your Bair?

My Champion has a drilled through SOLID ram. A monster that I love.
The Reddings have a hollow ram and a tube attached, I have the Ultramag.
The COAX has excellent primer catcher. I have a B3
The Summit drops spent primers into a cup. Mine is RWB #24

take care

r1kk1

seagiant
12-09-2014, 08:16 PM
Hey seagiant,

Does your A2 drop primers through the ram? How about your Bair?

My Champion has a drilled through SOLID ram. A monster that I love.
The Reddings have a hollow ram and a tube attached, I have the Ultramag.
The COAX has excellent primer catcher. I have a B3
The Summit drops spent primers into a cup. Mine is RWB #24

take care

r1kk1

Hi,
The Bair drops the primers in a square cup that fits behind it. These come through a hole in the large ram. The A2 drops them where ever I think. I'm not home just going on (bad) memory!

The thing is I could care less where the primers go cause I am in my shop and just sweep it out every couple days anyway! Some people seem to be bothered about used primer managment but I could care less!

Here's the Bair loading another batch of .223 for my AR-15!

EddieNFL
12-09-2014, 09:20 PM
I agree 100% !

That older stuff Rocks!
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/09/1db72255322c7a7a6f22ecb4f4b8a441.jpg

LS6 by chance?

LUBEDUDE
12-09-2014, 11:07 PM
I have no idea what engine. That is not my car.

Hey SG, glad you survived the 70's! I did as well. I used to street race daily and all night long in high school on the second largest unofficial drag strip in the U S according to Hotrod Magazine, Sunset Strip was #1.
That would be Forest Lane in Dallas, Texas. It was about 5-6 miles of 3 lanes each direction, divided by stop lights about every half mile or so. Just too tempting for teens with 4 wheeled rockets. I raced a 68 SS396 Camero, 69 GTO, 47 Wileys Jeep with a 327.

It's true that God and his Angels watch over kids, drunks, idiots, and any combo of thereof, for I was surely guilty of all charges!

seagiant
12-09-2014, 11:47 PM
Hi,
Yea at 59yrs. I still count on my Angels! Especially on my Kawi!

LUBEDUDE
12-10-2014, 01:06 AM
Sweet! That sure is pretty.

Yup, at 59 here as well I'm still alive because I don't ride two wheelers anymore . I'm not mature enough to stay off the throttle. I'm just too addicted to speed.

When I almost became a grease spot in the road going Mach 1, I said never more and sold my bike many years ago.

charlie b
12-10-2014, 05:29 PM
LOL different strokes :) My bike is an antique and I ride it slower since I almost went off a cliff (Moto Guzzi).

My Lee Loadmaster press is a newer one. My 30 year old Lee turret press I gave away to a new reloader. It only had a 100k rounds loaded on it. Just don't make em like they used to :)

For the OP, since he already has other presses for most duties, the Lee single stage makes the most sense. I just picked a used one up at the local gun shop for $30. Will outlast me and probably my kids.

gwpercle
12-10-2014, 06:07 PM
CH4D has a Universal C Press Ram for "virtually" all C and O type presses. 13/16 inches in diameter , 5 inches long, and made for snap in shell holders. $24.00. A quick call or E-mail will verify if it will work. I like the old ones too. Got a Lyman All-American Turret ( red paint and wood handle) last week. Old presses need love too.
Gary
daily driver is a 1968 Chevelle

BucolicBuffalo
12-10-2014, 07:04 PM
I had a Rockchucker in the past. It was a good press. 30 some odd years later I got back into reloading and shooting. I bought a Forster Co-Ax this time. I really like the shell plate that is used instead of shell holders. The quick change die thing is nice. But most have some way of doing that nowadays.

We shot at an indoor range and when we were done we swept up our shooting boxes and the guys gave it all to me. Dumped it in a gallon ziplock and brought it home. Popped in a decapping die and knocked out primers on everything we swept up. 9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP, 38 Special, 357 mag, and 45LC. As I decapped I sorted, and never worried about having to change shell holders. As long as you feel your way though the pile and when you feel that Berdan primer case, you won't break a decapping pin.

The Forster looks like it is in short supply. But it's in stock if you look around. Yeah, I am a fan. Just because of that shell plate system. Everything else it does is just gravy. But you do have a nice press now as some of the fellows pointed out.

LUCKYDAWG13
12-10-2014, 07:46 PM
I have a gun show by me next weekend so i will be looking for a deal on a press. i would like to find a Rockchucker if not that's OK
i want a new press i don't need one. I did find a J type shell holder that i need for 223 and found one for my 30/06
so im not in a rush now. thank you all

nitro-express
12-10-2014, 09:48 PM
Buy the new one, you deserve it.

Then restore the old Comet. It may be possible to buy a replacement ram and fit it in your press. at one time RCBS made a ram that fir quite a few old presses, to convert to their shell holders.

I have a Tru-Line Jr, and the "J" shell holders are out there, but they want about $25 for them. If you want to play, you play. I bought what I needed, a #1, #2, #6, #7 and #26, at a cost of app $100. Worst is some don't fit, Lyman quality. Honestly, I don't know how Lyman stayed in business.

My main presses are a Redding Ultra-Mag, a RCBS RC and a Redding T-25. The feature of having a tube for the primers and crud on the U-M is nice. A super strong press, but awkward to use, the bars get in the way. My old RC is nice, gap and stroke are the limiting factors, and the primer **** gums up the ram after a while. The old T-25 is a joy to use, decapping is a joke though, primers fly all over. I mostly decap everything in the U-M and then use either the RC or T-25 or both to finish off.

For the price a Classic Cast single station is full featured and inexpensive.

seagiant
12-10-2014, 09:58 PM
Hi,
I'm sure the Classic Cast is a fine press for the money! I have to give it to Richard Lee for finally going to cast iron with some of his presses!

I have to say though that I would walk over 2 CC to get to an old 50's press needing a home.

Good luck at the Gunshow (go early,move fast) I run through looking for old equipment first, then slow down after I'm sure I covered everything and then look at the other stuff!

quickshot
12-10-2014, 11:16 PM
I just upgraded from the classic cast single to the classic cast turret. I only load .223 and .308 right now. The convenience of having all the dies set up and in one place was what won me over. My cast single now sits on a shelf collecting dust.

lmcollins
12-11-2014, 12:06 AM
Seagiant: Tell us about that old Bair. I never had a chance to look at one in person.

It looks hell for stout, and something that you should be able to swage on. Does it do any more than my old 1970 Rockchucker. It looks like it might be cramped, but very strong. The casting is there for support, and the linkage is steel. How big is its window, and can you do things like the 375 H&H any better than on a Rockchucker?

seagiant
12-11-2014, 05:03 PM
Seagiant: Tell us about that old Bair. I never had a chance to look at one in person.

It looks hell for stout, and something that you should be able to swage on. Does it do any more than my old 1970 Rockchucker. It looks like it might be cramped, but very strong. The casting is there for support, and the linkage is steel. How big is its window, and can you do things like the 375 H&H any better than on a Rockchucker?

Hi,
Yes it's fairly stout,even though my favorite is the RCBS A2 cast STEEL press! The Bair Kodiak 150, I wanted for years figuring I would pick one up cheap along the way. Never happened!

I finally cracked and paid good money for this one, but they are hard to find and the price seems to go up everytime I see one!

Swaging I don't know,I have never done it, and not really sure how much power it takes, but would probably go to a dedicated swaging press if I did!

I like the open front of the Bair (like my Dillon RL-300's) as I am left handed and access to the shellholder is easier!

If I was home I would measure the window but I'm not maybe someone else knows? If you ever see one of these south of $250 I would buy it,you will never lose money on it!

fast ronnie
12-18-2014, 03:03 AM
I have two rockchuckers, but that press of yours looks mighty stout. I like gwpercle's idea of upgrading the ram to take newer shell holders. If you can't buy a universal ram, you could make one relatively easy. That press will probably still be working many years from now with just a tad bit of tlc and some paint!

10mmShooter
12-18-2014, 08:29 PM
the Redding Ultra Mag or Redding Big Boss 2

GP100man
12-18-2014, 09:20 PM
My next press is what 10mm said a Redding Big Boss !! with primer dispenser.

IF I could get a ram for the COMET that accepts now standard shell holders Id do that also.

GP

LUCKYDAWG13
12-19-2014, 08:03 PM
well i came across some of the J shell holders that i need from a member here so i'm just keep using
my old comet. i just cant bring myself to unbolt it anyways. just had it to dam long hell it was part
of the family before i was

rfd
12-19-2014, 08:12 PM
i now only load .45acp and .45-70 (though that's mostly loaded with bp and no press required other than for powder compression). the convenience, speed and strength of the lee classic cast breech lock is undeniable and the only press i need. why some people poo-poo this press i have no clue, but maybe it's them that are clueless. :veryconfu :roll: :)

jmort
12-19-2014, 08:15 PM
" i'm just keep using
my old comet. i just cant bring myself to unbolt it anyways."

A very happy ending to this thread.

'74 sharps
12-20-2014, 06:53 AM
I would say a general clean up and a coat of paint would get you where you need to go. I have never seen a worn out Reloading Press, and that one is far from it.

If you are looking at a new one, an RCBS Rockchucker is about the Gold Standard. There are plenty of other single stage presses out there and every company that makes reloading equipment sells them, however none are better than the RCBS Press, and none are that much worse. And none will do anything that the one you've got already won't do.

There are a lot of guys here, myself included, that "restore" tools like you have. I am working on a C&H Shotshell press right now.

It requires disassembling the tool wire brushing all the metal parts to remove any rust, applying a little elbow grease, and then painting the castings with a spray can of whatever color paint you deem appropriate. This is actually fun and usually only costs the price of the can of paint.

I prefer Rustoleum, or some kind of Crackle Finish.

You will find that you will have a sense of accomplishment as well as effectively a new tool. And one that will fit right back on your bench where it has been for the last 30 years and be good to go for another 30+.

Something to consider before you spend a bunch of money that you could spend on other things you actually need.

Or you could also buy a Dillon 550B which will do everything you want and much faster, and you can keep that Lyman Press as you are going to need it to break down fired cases, and do other case prep work.

I see little reason to replace a single stage press with another newer one, if you really want to upgrade then buy the Dillon. It sounds like you shoot enough to justify the purchase.

Just some thoughts to mull over in your head before Christmas.

Randy

+1 A little paint and you're good to go.............

trixter
12-23-2014, 07:35 PM
If you have some experience and are even a little bit mechanically inclined, don't over look the RCBS Pro 2000. I had used single stage and a Lee classic cast turret for a long time (bout 4 years) and I am so very pleased with my Pro 2000. There is of course a learning curve as with any machine, but I am really liking it. No speed reloading records set, but that is not why I bought it. I got it to lessen strokes from four per round to 1 per round. My shoulder has really noticed it.

lightman
12-24-2014, 11:24 AM
Another suggestion comes to mind. If you really want a new press, clean up your old press and paint it. Use it for depriming and other such chores and buy a new press for resizing and seating.

"What to buy" threads always result in arguments. My suggestion is to buy an "O" frame press with compound linkage of whatever your favorite color is. They all work just fine. Here are a few other suggestions.

The Co-ax has several unique features and is well though of. The ergonomics are a little different and some don't like it for this reason. Some of the selling points like the universal shell holder and quick change die set-up are actually negative points for me. C-H Tool make some really strong "O" frame presses that I would also look at. Hornady, Lee, Lyman, Redding and RCBS also make nice presses.

There are also a few custom presses to choose from. Sinclair and Neil Jones are a few.

Good Luck, but there is really not a wrong answer.

EddieNFL
12-25-2014, 04:22 PM
"What to buy" threads always result in arguments.

That's because most responses are basically, "Buy what I have. Although I have no experience with other manufacturers, I know it's the best."

LUCKYDAWG13
12-25-2014, 05:09 PM
If you have some experience and are even a little bit mechanically inclined, don't over look the RCBS Pro 2000. I had used single stage and a Lee classic cast turret for a long time (bout 4 years) and I am so very pleased with my Pro 2000. There is of course a learning curve as with any machine, but I am really liking it. No speed reloading records set, but that is not why I bought it. I got it to lessen strokes from four per round to 1 per round. My shoulder has really noticed it.

if i do buy a new press this is the rout that i will take. and thanks for all of reply's

Down South
12-25-2014, 08:35 PM
Single stage? Find an old RCBS Rock Chucker.