PDA

View Full Version : polishing the finished bullets

georgeld
02-15-2008, 02:48 AM
made a trade on www.ammobrasstrader.com for a bunch of brass.
They came as polished and pretty as any I've ever seen and asked the guy what his trick was as I've never been able to get that good a result. Would be perfect for bullets.

Uses $7, or 9 steel shot mixed with RCBS wet polishing media. Which I'd never heard of before. Runs them in a tumbler made of buckets and belt driven. He's a large quantity brass salvager the way it sounds. Said he has one set up that's made from a 50 gal drum and several smaller sizes too so he's got just the right tumbler for the qty he comes onto.

I've never seen brass polished that smooth and perfect before is why I'm sharing this here. bullets need to be as slick as possible.

Adam10mm
03-25-2008, 10:30 AM
So the wet polishing media is the liquid kind to use in the RCBS Sidewinder tumbler?

georgeld
03-27-2008, 05:35 AM
I don't know anything more than what's posted. He's never come back with the details.
Until then, I wasn't aware of any wet media. Never seen it listed anywhere else yet.

bullet maker
04-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Hey guys!!!
I use a big tumbler from Dillion, and all I use, is the corn cob media, and the liquid polish. I also found a trick, that seems to work real well, ...a rag the half the size of a wash cloth, ..soaked in diesel. put the towel in the hopper with all the other stuff, and let it polish for a couple of hours, does a really good job. One of the guys at Dillion told me about the rag soaked in diesel..course you have to wring it out and then put it in the tumbler with all you corncob media.

bullet maker

Gussy
04-01-2008, 01:42 PM
I put kerosene (lamp oil actually) in each time I start a load. A cap full is all that's needed.

Swagerman
04-01-2008, 02:35 PM
And I thought this thread [polishing the finished bullet] was going to be about polishing cast boolits to make them nice and shinny. :)

Jim

Gussy
04-01-2008, 03:11 PM
And I thought this thread was going to be about polishing cast boolits to make them nice and shinny. :)

Jim

They come out of the mould that way, no need to polish!!