PDA

View Full Version : Lee turret press box

abunaitoo
12-07-2014, 04:30 AM
I was looking through some old "Handloader" magazines, saw that the old Lee Turret press used to come in a wooden box.
Anyone still have one?????

Mike Kerr
12-07-2014, 04:53 AM
They occasionally pop up on EBay with the 3 hole turret press inside. Adds to the shipping cost but doesn't do anything for the press if you are going to mount it on a bench.

Digger
12-07-2014, 08:32 AM
Stopped by our local reloading shop and a gentleman was standing at the counter talking to Ian , on the counter was a lee turret mounted on the box of which you describe ... have never seen one before and I thought it was great ! .
Wooden box with dovetail or slot corners , classy ! , apparently you can flip the box on it's side , open to about a forty five degree angle and mount the press in the "jaws" so to speak ... portability !!
I appreciate the older items from the past as this was one of them .. did not even know they existed .
Hope you can locate one somehow ... this one had the older aluminum body turret ,aluminum handle.
Neat.

bedbugbilly
12-07-2014, 10:29 AM
I'd love to see one of these. If anyone has a photo of one, it would be nice to post it if possible.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
12-07-2014, 10:35 AM
I too would like to see the box. I am a sucker for old reloading equipment. They sure made things differently back then...

UNIQUEDOT
12-07-2014, 11:13 AM
Yeah every now and then you can still find them in new condition.. The press had a straight wooden handle instead of the ball handle back then.

john hayslip
12-07-2014, 12:23 PM
I have one that I used when in transit. Box is drilled to accept press. Box was not "with" the press but was an extra item you could buy. Currently has a spotting scope in it. Not much on adding photos and don't have a press that's correct for the box so don't know what good the picture would do. My press had a pipe handle with a ball on the end.

zuke
12-07-2014, 03:47 PM
I still have an older "white metal" 3 hole press. I just bought a Classic Turret to replace it and will be selling the old press.

Mike Kerr
12-07-2014, 05:57 PM
Reading the posts on this thread made me remember that there is more to the reloading hobby than just "the savings of dollars" or making an accurate load. I previously posted that the reloading box which Lee had in their marketing package some decades ago added to the shipping cost of the Lee 3 hole turret press. While this is true its also true that there is a "coolness" factor to the box as part of reloading history. In fact several Lee items such as the "Automator" (SP) and the initial shot shell Load All have a nostalgic flavor. Not unlike older Pacific and CH loading devices which have achieved current popularity on this Forum.

44Vaquero
12-08-2014, 10:05 PM
123991Mike Kerr,

Thanks so much for the Lee Automator plug! As the person responsible for the resurgence of interest in it, I take great pride in keeping it's memory alive! Lee customer service told me they have sold more old stock of the Automator then they sold new in the 1990!

It really is a fun piece of kit to work with!

coloraydo
12-08-2014, 11:44 PM
Here ya go guys. This is my main press.

I don't use the press mounted on the box, I mount it on my bench.

I paid the princely sum of $145.00 back in '83.

Digger
12-09-2014, 12:41 AM
There you go ! ..... the same arrangement I saw earlier , nice !

LUBEDUDE
12-09-2014, 05:02 AM
A different twist to the Lyman Easyloader and the Metal Toolbox.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
12-09-2014, 02:06 PM
Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

charlie b
12-10-2014, 12:27 AM
That was one of the reasons I got that setup back in the 80s. I did not have a place to set up a reloading benchnso would set it up on the kitchen table. very handy

Used it that way for about 10 years. Finally got a place where I could set up a bench. Gave it away when I upgraded.