PDA

View Full Version : any "expert" can post anything

Single Shot
02-15-2008, 12:17 AM
Jeeze the stuff floating around on the web.

02-13-2008, 10:17 PM
Hi, I was wondering if you can cast bullets for modern centerfire rifles. I would like to cast my own bullets for my 30-06. Is it possible to shoot cast bullets from these high velocity rifles? If so, who makes casts. Thanks.

02-13-2008, 10:28 PM
Yes, but accuracy will suffer and consistency will not be good.
You'll probably be stuck with round nose bullets and won't be able to make multi part bullets.
The guys on the reloading forum can give you a better answer.

mooman76
02-15-2008, 01:08 AM
I was just curious. What exactly is a multi part bullet?

racepres
02-15-2008, 01:39 AM
"any "expert" can post anything"
HUH!!!
I would like to know where that came from!!!
Expert indeed!! MV

cbr
02-15-2008, 01:50 AM
Yeah, this is one of the few forums I have found where the people actually seem to know what they are talking about. Polite and helpful folks here too, unlike most of the other forums I see where it seems people are trying to start internet wars all the time.

Buckshot
02-15-2008, 02:51 AM

...............Since the guy responding was talking jacketed he was probably talking about Partition bullets (I guess). You CAN create 2 alloy cast boolits, and while not as easy or as fast as casting regular ones, you're generally not needing several hundred.

.................Buckshot

andrew375
02-15-2008, 05:23 AM
Yup. Been there!

I've been flamed plenty of times by "experts" when I've responded to questions like that. Did you know that bullet bases get melted, which is why you get leading? neither did I! AND YOU WILL GET LEADING!! You cannot shoot cast in a .223 because the leading will fill the bore too fast. My Ruger No.1 isn't accurate because the barrel isn't long enough; quote"there is not enough twist". What ever that means.

Expert: Ex = Has been. Spurt = Drip under pressure.:coffee:

Lloyd Smale
02-15-2008, 06:23 AM
post this link so the idiot that responded can see how misinformed he is and it will also help the guy who had the legitimate guestion too.

VTDW
02-15-2008, 06:46 AM
I know I am an expert but probably in my own mind.:roll: I did a survey question with my first class of youngsters to sorta get the lay of the land. One of the questions was "What are you good at?" One of the 16 yr olds answered "Shooting pool and sex." Yeah right!!

Dave

bullshot
02-15-2008, 09:28 AM
First we have to look at the word EXPERT and break it up. EX is a has been and SPURT is a drip under pressure. :-D

Morgan Astorbilt
02-15-2008, 09:29 AM

I remember seeing recently, info on a two part bullet, the nose of which was glued into a cone shaped hollow in the base. Looked through several books and catalogs, but can't find anything. :confused:
Anybody know where I might have seen this?
Morgan

StrawHat
02-15-2008, 09:41 AM
I remember seeing recently, info on a two part bullet, the nose of which was glued into a cone shaped hollow in the base. Looked through several books and catalogs, but can't find anything. :confused:
Morgan

Lyman Devastator perhaps?

My mistake, devastator is a HP mold.

Two molds, one cast the base, the other the nose. Theory was the base was cast in a "hard" alloy and the nose would be cast soft. Epoxy was used to glue the two together. Reality was the epoxy was hard to use/control and the system was a hemorrhoid.

I never used the system but heard it described by a guy who did.

Hope this helps.

Shuz
02-15-2008, 10:45 AM
Morgan

Morgan--For a short time Lyman offered a kit for making composite bullets that was a 2 mould set. They were offered in 35,44 and 45 calibers. I have used the 44 kit-- Lyman 429625 moulds "A" and "B". The moulds worked well and cast fine, but as others have noted, the epoxy or other adheasives that I tried to use, did not hold the two parts together when the revolver underwent recoil. The soft "noses" pulled due to inertia and went flying out the side cylinder charging holes! Well, maybe flying was an exageration, but they did pull loose and render the method useless. I got the idea that perhaps I could still mould the noses outta soft lead and then get a SC 429421 hot enuf to drop the cold noses into that mould and then pour a harder alloy behind them that would grab the nose tail. It's a cumbersome process, but it actually works! Evidently the hot harder alloy melts enuf of the tail of the nose part to grip it and hold the composite boolit together. I've killed lotsa phone books with composite 429421's, 429244's and 429650's made this way. I have yet to try one on game because I've become enamoured with the 429640 Devastator boolits that not only work great on game, but are easier to make. If anyone wants to try some of these 44 "noses" to drop into one of the above mentioned designs, drop me a PM and I'll send you a few that are pure lead and you can try it yourself. I guess 429625 kits are still out there, but I've only ever run into one at a local gun show and don't recall seeing any on e-Bay. Hope this helps--Shuz

9.3X62AL
02-15-2008, 11:10 AM
To paraphrase Mark Twain--"Free information, and (sometimes) worth it too."

nicholst55
02-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Morgan, IIRC, Montana Bullets (or someone) offers molds that cast a separate nose section. You cast that out of pure lead and place it in the regular boolit cavity, then pour the balance of the boolit with your normal alloy. Interesting idea; not sure how well it actually works in practice.

45 2.1
02-15-2008, 11:38 AM
Mountain molds made or makes these as well. Lyman had the three pistol composites of the Keiths as well as older versions including several rifle boolits.

rhead
02-15-2008, 11:38 AM
An expert is a person who has learned more and more about less and less unti he knows almost everything about nearly nothing.
Or you could become a generalist who has learned less and less about more and more until he knows almost nothing about nearly everything.

Leftoverdj
02-15-2008, 12:57 PM
The moulds that cast two parts are a solution to a problem that does not exist. Regular moulds do a better job of making softnose cast bullets. Work as hot and fast as you can, pour a measured amount of lead into the mould and immediately fill with the hard alloy. Water quench if you like since that does not affect lead and does harden the base.

Fussy work and a nuisance to do, but you don't need many, and they are not going to come apart no matter what. Shoot them fast enough into something hard enough and the lead might wipe off after it expands, but that's a different story.

trickyasafox
02-15-2008, 01:33 PM
I had a professor who always used to say 'an expert is anyone from more than 10 miles away'

floodgate
02-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Morgan:

These were the Lyman #358624, #429625 - listed in their Annual Product Catalogs 1978-83, and the #452626, listed only from 1978 through 1980; which should tell you something about their popularity. Back in the early 1900's they offered a number of separate tip moulds with bases shaped like an inverted golf tee. You cast them soft (for expansion) or hard (for penetration), then dropped them into the matching full mould and cast the rest of the body. They gave at least a mechanical, and if cast quickly enough, probably an alloy bond. Many here have experimented with these using various methods (like, drop a small pure lead RB into the mould, heat until melted, then cast the rest of the boolit in WW mix). Tedious, but how many do you need for a hunt?

floodgate

38 Super Auto
02-15-2008, 04:14 PM
There is a write up on composite bullets in my 3rd ed Lyman cast bullet handbook.

I know we are all ignorant about something, but some of the stuff these guys come up with is pure gold. I think it's nearly as good as the gunstore expert thread. :-D

kywoodwrkr
02-15-2008, 05:47 PM
Ex spurt
Has been drip under pressure.
DaveP kywoodwrkr

Maven
02-15-2008, 05:48 PM
Morgan Astorbilt, You may have seen the mold on the Auction Arms>Reloading Gear site since "Bullet Lady" has one open to bidding.

jack19512
02-15-2008, 10:25 PM
I don't know enough about reloading and or casting to be able to give anything but bad advice. [smilie=1:

C1PNR
02-18-2008, 03:20 PM
I had a professor who always used to say 'an expert is anyone from more than 10 miles away'
Your professor was pretty close to my understanding.

That is that an "Expert" is someone NOT employed by your employer, is over 50 miles from home, and carries a briefcase.:roll:

I always did have trouble distinguishing an "expert" from a "consultant."

fixerupper
02-18-2008, 03:25 PM
Your professor was pretty close to my understanding.

That is that an "Expert" is someone NOT employed by your employer, is over 50 miles from home, and carries a briefcase.:roll:

I always did have trouble distinguishing an "expert" from a "consultant."

Consultants bill out......

Experts shoot their mouths off for free.......

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: