PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 94 optics options

Markbo
12-06-2014, 09:56 PM
I have a pretty and little unusual Winchester 94. Old style top eject. Id really like to keep it and shoot it but frankly my eyesight sucks. I cant see well enough to shoot it very far. Bifocals you know.

I am already on the try out fr handgun shooting glasses but I wont be wearing those in the field. Are there any mounts for small red dots or small handgun scopes so I cam mount something on the rear sight cut out? Any advice appreciated.

ETA: Idea just occured to me. Instead of a big XS mount (that I use on a couple of Marlins) that would look totally out of place what about a short weaver rail with a dovetail to put in the rear sight dovetail? Anybody make one?

starmac
12-06-2014, 10:15 PM
Cheapest way I know of, right here from a member.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?261404-For-Sale-Win-94-scope-mount

pietro
12-06-2014, 10:21 PM

I would respectfully suggest giving a receiver peep sight a test - many with vision issues have had them disappear when using a peep sight.

Failing that, I've successfuly mounted a small red dot sight atop the bolt via D/T the rear half of the bolt top for one scope mount base (of a two base set) that had a bottom contour close to the contour atop the bolt.
The sight rides back/forth with the bolt during cycling.

Alternatively, Doug Turnbull makes & sells a Winchester levergun sidemount that fits the factory receiver sight prep hole in the top LH rear side of the receiver, bot the Burris Fastfire II red dot sight.

http://www.turnbullmfg.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/94FastFireMount1_Detail1-300x300.jpg

Turnbull also makes a Burris Fastfire mount that utilizes the barrel's rear sight dovetail.

http://www.turnbullmfg.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/fastfire-barrel-300x300.jpg

flyingmonkey35
12-06-2014, 10:31 PM

i did not do this i got it this way, it may be ugly but it works!

stubert
12-07-2014, 12:38 PM
Is there a way to mount a scout scope?

pietro
12-07-2014, 02:40 PM
Is there a way to mount a scout scope?

Yes, a few ways.

The LER (long eye relief) scope mounts that utilize the only barrel's rear sight slot have been long discontinued, but occassionally show up on one or another of the auction websites.

The XS LeverScout mount utilizes the rear sight dovetail to anchor the front of the rail, and two 6-48 D&T'd holes inline with the bore, atop the front receiver ring of a Winchester Model 94 to anchor the rear end of the rail - provided that the rear barrel sight dovetail is approx 4" from the receiver's leading edge.

fouronesix
12-07-2014, 06:00 PM
Yes, Redfield used to make a 1 piece base with contour to match the Win 94 barrel contour. Required a couple of D&T'd holes in the barrel. They also made a 2X LER scope that fit the 1 piece base. That system worked extremely well. They can be found once in a while on various internet auctions sites, classifieds, gun shows etc. I think the Redfield system is far superior to the older receiver side plate scope mount systems. I think most of them put the scope off center to the left because the top ejected cases still have to clear the scope.

Have seen too many older lever gun receivers with various holes drilled here and there in the side to accommodate those side mount plates. :(

Here's a Win 94 with the Redfield 2X LER and mount.

pricedo
01-01-2015, 02:38 AM
Have a 1958 vintage Winchester 94 that is in excellent condition.
No replaced or touched up wood or parts.
I did a little filing under the silver bead on the factory front sight and painted the fresh surface with some special white paint made especially for gun sights. It is very tenacious and won't come off.
The white enables my old eyes to lock onto the silver bead a lot better.
Nobody in their right mind drills holes in an all original parts pre 64 Winchester 94 in pristine condition.
It just isn't done.

TXGunNut
01-01-2015, 03:13 PM
I suspect a top eject 94 will be D&T'd for a receiver mount or possibly a tang sight in the case of an older rifle. I won't put optics on a Winchester but most of my shooters wear peeps, either receiver or tang mounted.

fouronesix
01-01-2015, 10:23 PM
No, I wouldn't D&T a pre-64 either. But a post-64 model? Maybe, if done correctly.

I like that Turnbull reflex mount that screws right into the receiver sight mounting holes. Very nice system. The dot reflex sights are the bee's knees for clarity as they only use one focal plane- just like a regular stope and IF they're of sufficient quality and have minimal parallax. I've seen a few of them, even at higher price points, that seem to have too much parallax. Easy enough to check if you can inspect them before purchase or research the specs.

Markbo
01-02-2015, 09:31 PM
Flying.monkey dobyou have links to full size pics? I just cant see very clearly on thise small pics. Any idea.on what brand that is?

flyingmonkey35
01-06-2015, 09:40 AM
Flying.monkey dobyou have links to full size pics? I just cant see very clearly on thise small pics. Any idea.on what brand that is?
I'll take some photos for you and pm them to you.

Larry Gibson
01-06-2015, 08:56 PM
At one time Burris made a scout base for M94 carbines. It utilizes the rear sight dovetail and a D&T'd screw in the front band. I D&T'd mine thrugh the band and into the barrel. Hell for stout and an excellent mount. Too bad they don't make it anymore but you might look for one on line or at gunshows.

Larry Gibson

Pepe Ray
01-08-2015, 01:50 AM
FYI
Actually Burris was the leader in Scout sights and mounts, but when there was no stampede of buyers they quietly slipped away.
At one point they made 3 different bases for Scout Scope mounting.
LU-94, stock #410363
LU-94S, stock #410372
LU-SCOUT stock #410359
I have a LU-94 on a Model 94 Win carb re chambered into 30AI with an original Burris Scout Scope .
I have a LU-94S on an old Mod 94 Rifle in 38-55 (scope temporarily removed).
I have a LU-SCOUT on a Swede M 96 awaiting a scope.
The LU-SCOUT is whats known as a "gun smith's" mount. It is configured to allow the smith some latitude in how and on what he chooses to mount it.
None of them are convenient for hobbyist smiths (Bubber) but a snap for a machinist. These were made before Burris got on "The band wagon" by utilizing the Weaver system, so require Redding/now Leupold scope rings. (designed by Redding.)
I invite further discussion but usually threads die after I post.
Pepe Ray

fouronesix
01-08-2015, 12:44 PM
FYI
These were made before Burris got on "The band wagon" by utilizing the Weaver system, so require Redding/now Leupold scope rings. (designed by Redding.)
I invite further discussion but usually threads die after I post.
Pepe Ray
Is that a fact? I don't know about the Redding scope mount systems. But I do know about the Redfield systems.

9.3X62AL
01-08-2015, 12:55 PM
I suspect a top eject 94 will be D&T'd for a receiver mount or possibly a tang sight in the case of an older rifle. I won't put optics on a Winchester but most of my shooters wear peeps, either receiver or tang mounted.

I am not fond of glass sights on rifles used for fast/snap shots at closer ranges--which describes much of my levergun hunting. I do like peep/aperture systems for finer work at greater distances. Even my sorry eyesight is sharpened markedly by the use of these irons.

Pepe Ray
01-08-2015, 02:31 PM
fouronesix; - - - Oooops!!!

Yep, Redding was for Irons, Mr Redfield gets the honors. Thanks .
Pepe Ray

Pepe Ray
01-08-2015, 02:46 PM
9.3x62Al;
I understand and agree with your preference for pretty much the same reasons.
Have you ever browsed the old Ranch Dog website where he describes his phenomenal success eradicating hogs on his Texas ranch. Exclusively done at night with Marlins or Rossi's and Scout Scopes.
My opportunities for night shooting are very limited (legal hunting) here in Maine. Coyotes only, dead of winter, a young mans endeavor at best. Certainly too much for this old sissy. RD's exploits exemplify the reasons why the Scout Scope systems are still with us.
It's -7*F here at 13;45. I must go out to clean off my truck and go to town.
Pepe Ray

krallstar
01-11-2015, 01:04 PM
This is what i use. http://www.mod94scoperail.com

olafhardt
01-13-2015, 02:16 AM
OK, here is how I do it. I get two pieces of steel at the hardware store, one 1/8×1/2 and one 1/8×3/4. These will make lots of mounts. Take a file, grind stone, dremel tool, whatever and file out a dove tail filler about 1/2"long and drill and tap it. Of course you could just buy a dove tail filler that is already d&t. If I am making this I use 8×40 screws. Take a piece of 3/4×1/8 flat steel drill a hole big enough to let the dove tail screw pass through. This will allow the rail to be bolted to the dove tail filler but not yet. Drill and tap holes about 11/2" on both sides of the first hole. You should now have a bar with a dove tail filler on it and two threaded holes in its center line. Set it aside.
Take two low mount rings. Take all the loose stuff, cross pieces clampers etc off the rings and put it in your wife's sewing box or some where out of the way cause you don't need them. Take the rings apart and drill a hole in the bottom of each ring big enough to pass the screws into the rail. Now mount the rail into the dove tail and tighten up the screw. If the screw is to long , file it down.
Take the bottom part of the rings and screw them to the rail with loctite. You should lay the scope in the rings to sorta line every thing up. The screw heads will be sticking up . Punch an appropriate size hole in enough shim to put over the screws. Put the uppers on the scope mounts. Now you will have a very rickety scout mount. However if you spread a thin coat of Gorilla glue on the bottom of the rail, it will expand and stick this mess into a rigid scout mount.
I have used BSA 2.5×20 handgun scopes with good results. This method is cheap, durable and it works

Baron von Trollwhack
01-13-2015, 12:32 PM
Those Turnbull red dot mounts look great! Thanks. I've had the 2X scope and barrel mount in the past and the side mounts also. Actually sold the Redfield here years ago. Always awkward to me. Better a receiver sight and a Merit optical device with a front light pipe for me. But the Turnbull info !

BvT

Markbo
01-13-2015, 09:24 PM
Olaf Would you have any pics? I have read that 4 times and cannot picture what you are saying

olafhardt
01-14-2015, 04:15 AM
I would post pics but i don't know how. Maybe i will learn.

Edster
01-14-2015, 06:08 AM
Here is one I ran across a while ago. No drill application

http://www.mod94scoperail.com/

Nicholas
01-20-2015, 12:06 AM
Of course the primary optics problem is in the eyeball. I finally had to have cataract surgery in both eyes. Way too much desert summer sun without UV protection. A while after the surgery, I picked up a single shot 22 with fine iron sights and was surprised to see how well I could see the sights. I have yet to try it out at the range owing to subsequent knee surgery complications. It likely is somewhat the luck of the draw on getting the right focal length in the new lens, though. The cataracts weren't all that advanced but they were affecting resolution of fine objects like gun sights and my night driving vision.