PDA

View Full Version : Clean/relube bullets

Phunahm
02-14-2008, 11:49 PM
Ive acquired 2000 10mm cast bullets however the wax been somewhat melted from desert heat...what would be the best way to clean and re lube them? and with what?

44man
02-14-2008, 11:53 PM
I woud try just running them as they are into a lube sizer to put more lube on, then wipe the bases off on a rag, or wipe the bases first.

Phunahm
02-15-2008, 12:06 AM
Im new to the casting side of this so bare with me... Ill have to purchase the lube/sizer "Lee" and use the liquid Alox?? Is that correct?

Kraschenbirn
02-15-2008, 12:09 AM
I've had pretty good luck removing old lube using an electric heat gun. Dump the boolits into a square metal cake pan...if you don't have one of your own, go out and buy a cheapie off a yard sale but DO NOT "borrow" one from your wife's baking utensils...and heat them until the lube flows freely from the grooves. Scoop out the boolits with a large spoon onto a piece of shop towel and roll them around to complete the cleaning and, once they've cooled, they're ready to relube.

Not long ago, I cleaned one of my early attempts at mixing my own BP lube off a couple hundred .38-55s in about 15 minutes using this technique.

Bill

Phunahm
02-15-2008, 12:13 AM
what should I use to relube them Alox ,bees wax, both? Plus I would still need a Lube/sizer correct?

Single Shot
02-15-2008, 12:15 AM
Mineral spirits will remove most bullet lubes. Just put a little in a plastic bowl and roll the bullets around like you do for Lee Lube.

Any not coming off can be wiped off with a rag dampened with mineral spirits.

Same rag thing works to remove Lee Lube from bullet noses after the bullet is seated in the case.

Phunahm
02-15-2008, 12:35 AM
So after I remove the wax I just but a few drops of Alox in a contain then add some bullets and do whatever it takes to coat the bullets...then let them dry?

drinks
02-15-2008, 12:37 AM
Yep!!

Phunahm
02-15-2008, 12:39 AM
Kewl Thanks Guys :drinks:

44man
02-15-2008, 09:11 AM
I use a lot of Lee size dies, they work great. I like a soft lube and just rub it in the grooves by hand, then through the Lee die to remove excess. You can also pan lube first.
If the lube was OK on those boolits I would still be inclined to leave it, pan lube them and size. The heat from pan lubing would fix the old stuff.
You are not stuck with just one lube with the Lee die, you can use about anything.
Then what harm would come from putting LLA right over the lube that is on the boolits now?

Phunahm
02-15-2008, 09:40 AM
I use a lot of Lee size dies, they work great. I like a soft lube and just rub it in the grooves by hand, then through the Lee die to remove excess. You can also pan lube first.
If the lube was OK on those boolits I would still be inclined to leave it, pan lube them and size. The heat from pan lubing would fix the old stuff.
You are not stuck with just one lube with the Lee die, you can use about anything.
Then what harm would come from putting LLA right over the lube that is on the boolits now?
I haven't recd them yet Ill inspect when I get them..... Ill need to read up on this process, still kind of confused on the whole lube/sizing process.....what I need in material /equipment.......

Calamity Jake
02-15-2008, 10:02 AM
Put 6/8 layers of news paper on an old cookie sheet, spread 200/250 boolets out on it and put in a 250° max oven for about 20 min. the lube will melt and be soaked up by the paper then after cooled tumble lube with lars LA. You do not have to have a sizer.

DLCTEX
02-15-2008, 12:02 PM
Phunahm: No need to size these boolits, as they were sized when lubed. I would just relube with LLA, load and shoot. This is assuming that the boolits are clean, not contaminated with dirt or other foreign matter. If they are dirty, then clean them by one of the methods suggested and relube with LLA, Which is done by placing 10 or so in a plastic container, such as a CoolWhip container, squirt in a small amount of LLA, and swirl the dish with ccircular motions with your hand holing the dish, Until boolits are evenly coated. Start with a small amount of lube, more can be added. After coating, dump out on waxed paper with none touching, some use tweezers or needle nose pliers to stand them on thier bases until reasonably dry. They could be pan lubed, more involved process, do a search of the archives for more info. There's a goldmine of knowledge here. Most important is to have fun, and don't hesitate to ask questions. Dale

lv2tinker
02-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Ive acquired 2000 10mm cast bullets however the wax been somewhat melted from desert heat...what would be the best way to clean and re lube them? and with what?

Phunahm, I just tried this a few minutes ago with a bunch of junk Lazar-Cast boolits that I'm going to melt down and make "real" boolits out of:

Put boolits in old coffee can-
Filled to within 2" of top with water-
Put on stove-
Brought to a boil for 5 min.-
Let the whole thing cool for 30 min.-
Skimmed off the old lube-
Poured out water-

Viola..."clean" shinny, boolits

Cheers

Phunahm
02-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Thanks for all your great suggestions!!!!:drinks:

mroliver77
02-15-2008, 01:50 PM
If they are dirty use tinkers method. I sometimes throw culled boolits in a saucepan that I keep in the shop and warm it just enough to melt some regular lube. I pull from heat and roll boolits around in pan until they are cool. This results in an even coating of lube. When completely cool I put boolits in an old shoebox with a light dusting of talc or cornstarch and roll them until evenly coated. I load these with small charges for plinkers.Works very well.
Phunahm, you didnt mention i you have ever loaded/shot cast boolits before. It is a little diferent than jacketed so if you need advice ask away.
J