PDA

View Full Version : Deer ribs

Blammer
12-06-2014, 05:52 PM
Ok, found some OLD OLD venison ribs in the bottom of the freezer, they are now destined for the dog.

Anyone see any issues with the dog eating the ribs? I mean, any health concerns for the dog?

Normally I make some really FINE BBQ ribs from my deer, but this time, no.

timspawn
12-06-2014, 06:10 PM
Freezer burn won't hurt a dogs belly and if you normally give the dog beef/deer bones, I wouldn't worry about it.

Blammer
12-06-2014, 08:24 PM
yea, freezer burn is not the concern, it's the bones themselves I was concerned about, but she normally gets a few beef bones here and there.

dubber123
12-06-2014, 09:41 PM
Shouldn't be any more hazardous than beef bones, but broken teeth cost about $400 each to have fixed by the vet. Ask me how I know.

runfiverun
12-06-2014, 10:40 PM
it's the rearend results I'd be concerned about.
make sure her head is facing you on the couch.

DCM
12-06-2014, 11:43 PM
No concerns other than what R5R said.

5Shot
12-06-2014, 11:58 PM
No issues...cooked bones of any kind are a no-no. I give my dog chicken bones (inside of a drumstick) and beef bones all the time.

reloader28
12-07-2014, 12:57 AM
Whats the no-no with cooked bones?
Are they to hard ?

5Shot
12-07-2014, 01:07 AM
Whats the no-no with cooked bones?
Are they to hard ?

They get brittle and splinter. Raw poultry bones crush into little pieces and are of no concern...ask any coyote. Cooked pork and beef bones aren't quite as bad as cooked poultry, but not worth the risk.

waksupi
12-07-2014, 02:54 AM
Heck, just boil the meat off of them, give the dog the meat and broth.

gbrown
12-07-2014, 09:21 PM
If you got a pressure cooker, cut/break them into pieces that will fit. Pressure 'em up to about 15 lb for 20 minutes and you will end up with some really soft bones you can crush with your fingers--spongy like. Dad did this with deer bones (femurs, pelvis and all) after we processed one back 30-40 years ago. Mixed 'em with the dogs dry food along with some of the broth--talk about some spoiled dogs!! Lot of times, the dogs didn't get the broth--that went in the freezer for soup stock. Good eats!!

JWFilips
12-07-2014, 09:50 PM
Heck I would cook 'em eat what I could and give the dogs the rest!

Lloyd Smale
12-08-2014, 08:25 AM
ever eat venison ribs? I wouldn't give you a dollar for 50lbs of them. Only thing there good for is burger or sausage meat if you have the paitents to spend an hour boneing them out for a 1/2 a lb of meat. Ive never had them cooked ANY WAY that didn't leave a tallow taste in your mouth. I had some venison bones get logged in my labs stomach and it cost me over a grand to have him cut open and have them removed so my dog doesn't get deer bones and the only cow or pig bones I will give him are uncooked.
Heck I would cook 'em eat what I could and give the dogs the rest!

CastingFool
12-08-2014, 08:47 AM
My experience eating venison ribs is like Lloyd's. We cooked some one year, and they left a tallowy aftertaste in our mouths.

Blanco
12-08-2014, 09:19 AM
I brine all my wild game for at least a day or 2. This flushes any congealed blood from the muscle, which if left in leaves the meat tasting a bit like liver.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-08-2014, 09:27 AM
I think it can depend on the Dog...whether they'll eat the bones or just everything around them...But I am surely no dog expert.

When I was a kid, our Chocolate Lab found a cooked Ham bone and ate most of it and died that evening from the splinters stuck in her stomach.

s mac
12-08-2014, 10:00 AM
I guess taste is in the mouth of the beholder but the ribs are the first thing I cook, take up too much room in the freezer. I think they are mighty fine, cooked slow in a aluminum foil wrap.

NoAngel
12-08-2014, 10:07 AM
I have an 85 pound pit bull that makes short work of any bone I put in front of him. Although I do supervise poultry bones especially.

My wife puts ribs, neck and belly meat, even nasty bloodshot meat in the crock pot overnight for the dog. He literally has tremors over it. While I'm pouring it in his bowl he's yelping and shaking, it's hilarious. Nothing makes him happier. Works out good too, I can fit all the waste from a deer in a five gallon bucket. Heart, liver & kidneys, he eats all the stuff I would never eat.

Bones really do depend on the dog and that dog's propensity for swallowing poorly chewed food. That's why quite often, I'll sit with him while he eats. I can scold him when he doesn't chew it up and he's my best friend, I enjoy the time watching him be happy.

Mk42gunner
12-09-2014, 12:57 AM
I've heard for years that chicken bones are bad for dogs, but my mom has fed chicken bones to all of her dogs for as long as I can remember (I'm 50 this year). The only thing I ever remember happening is one time one of the dogs got one of the smaller bones stuck between their back teeth. It wasn't life threatening, just a bit slobbery reaching in and prying the bone loose.

I cannot for the life of me recall if it was Molly (Collie/German Shepard cross) or Bruno (German Shorthaired Pointer) the got the bone stuck.

This wasn't a once in a while thing either (feeding the bones to the dogs), we usually had chicken twice a week, once fried chicken (one to two birds) and once a week a larger bird either roasted in the oven or in the crock-pot.

As for the deer ribs, I give them to the dogs before they get a chance to get freezer burned. Just reading Lloyd's post brought back that feeling of tallow stuck to the roof of my mouth. Yuck.

Robert

Lloyd Smale
12-09-2014, 07:03 AM
my lab was operated on twice to remove bone stuck in his stomach so im real careful what I give him for bone anymore . . At over a grand a crack and the discomfort he went through cured me of feeding him every bone we had left on the supper plate. .

randyrat
12-09-2014, 09:23 AM
Never feed your dog Venison if; The dog sleeps by you at night,is an inside dog, sits by your side all the time. THE GAS IS UNRELENTING

Someone you don't like has an inside dog, the neighbor has ticked you off and has an inside dog.
Slip their dog some venison and it will be an humbling experience.