PDA

View Full Version : keep white wood white?

nekshot
12-06-2014, 04:56 PM
Are there any gunstock finnish's that would keep maple\ poplar\pine wood white when done rather than the typical yellow tint?

2AMMD
12-06-2014, 05:20 PM
Google "AWLWOOD" It is a clear wood finish for wood on boats but I think it will do what you want. Not cheap, but very durable.
2AMMD

nekshot
12-06-2014, 06:11 PM
YYYIKES, I could maybe afford a small bit of their reducer or brush cleaner but the product is outta my league!! I do believe it would do the trick.

texassako
12-06-2014, 06:56 PM
I attached a link to a good article about which finishes are clearest. It would be up to you to decide if they are what you would want for a gunstock. I use water passed poly to keep maple the whitest, but it doesn't exactly make the grain pop or provide the durability of a traditional stock finish.

http://ebenistecreateur.fr/file/livres/Travail%20du%20Bois/242%20Fiches%20(anglais)/finition/FINITION%20SUITE.pdf

waksupi
12-06-2014, 07:54 PM
Ultraviolet light will eventually yellow pretty much any wood.

gnoahhh
12-07-2014, 04:08 PM
Awlgrip finishes are super, but horribly expensive. Being an escapee from the marine industry, I have had a bunch of experience with the stuff. If you do get your hands on some of the clear finish, be darned sure to wear a full face sealing respirator when spraying it. Not much more poisonous stuff exists to breathe in.

Waksupi is right- those woods mentioned will darken anyway with time, the rate/degree of which to be determined by the UV protective quality of a finish.

nekshot
12-07-2014, 08:53 PM
thanks for all input and as I never do a gun to show only but to take afield in any condition I will use my normal finnish and accept the amber white!

DCM
12-07-2014, 10:19 PM
A water-based poly will give a slightly white clear coat.
Many of them other than the cross-linked floor finishes are not very durable.
IIRC JE-Moser's makes one that is pretty good. I will try to look it up.

DCM
12-07-2014, 10:38 PM
A water-borne catalyzed 2 part lacquer is what I was thinking of.
Pretty tough and a slight white hue.
The Minwax water base I have used is not very durable, but I do like their oil stains.

cuzinbruce
12-07-2014, 10:40 PM
Clear lacquer might do it.

bangerjim
12-08-2014, 12:10 PM
Nitrocelluose lacquer is almost clear and will stay that way for a long time. But.....it does NOT like moisture or water. Ever see those white rings on quality old furniture? That is laq + water. Not a good combo. Extreme temp swings will also make laq crack prematurely, as it cures hard. Poly finishes stay somewhat flexable and are semi water resistant. Oils or spar varnish are the best for exposed woods like stocks.

And your white wood will turn yellowish anyway due to UV atmospheric exposure as said above.

Good luck with your finishing endeavor.

bangerjim

nekshot
12-08-2014, 04:03 PM
I originally was thinking lacquer might do it but I was sceptical of the whitesh haze or rings it can get but this can said it is for exterior so I figure if it doesn't work out I simply will sand it down and apply a oil finnish. I sprayed one coat and as soon tomorrow I will sand and recoat. When done I'll show it to you all and let you fellas barf!

nekshot
12-09-2014, 12:20 PM
124016well, here it is after 2 coats. I need to get some sorta pad for the rear and finish the scope mount and we are done-all 7 pounds flat of it!

DCM
12-09-2014, 07:54 PM
Looks good.

Even the alphabet blocks, don't know whatever became of mine. Guess they just triggered somethin in my head.

Wolfer
12-11-2014, 06:43 PM
That's pretty cool.
Ive made some pistol grips from hedge, Osage orange, bois darc or whatever you want to call it.
An extremely yellow wood when fresh but after a couple years it turns the color of rosewood or light walnut.
Im ok with that but I've always wondered if there was something that would keep it original.
It is the light, under the grips is still yellow.