PDA

View Full Version : I am done with 310 tools

Char-Gar
12-06-2014, 04:13 PM
buying them that is, for I now have ever caliber I want.

I have boxed sets for;

30-06
303 British
8mm Mauser
45-70
44 Spl and 44 Magnum
45 Colt
45 ACP and Auto Rim
38 S&W

I also have die sets and handles for;

30-40 Krag
308 Winchester
30-30
32 Winchester Special
38 Special and 357 Magnum

That takes care of all the calibers I shoot on a regular basis. Old school all the way. I don't collect these things, I use them.

Green Frog
12-06-2014, 07:19 PM
Wait! What about 32-40, 32 S&WL/H&R/FM, 38 Spl and 9 mm. Don't you shoot/want to shoot them? Say it ain't so, nobody ever really is done collecting up 310 tools... there's always another die set or accessory to find. :coffeecom

Froggie

Wayne Smith
12-07-2014, 09:44 AM
Ah, Froggie, you didn't hear him. He clearly stated he is a user, not a collector. We'll see how long that lasts!

bedbugbilly
12-08-2014, 12:48 PM
Hmmm . . . I just recently got interested in the 310 tools primarily as I wanted to use them once in a while to load my 38 Colt Shorts/Longs and 38 Spl. Then of course, I had to get a set for 8mm Mauser for my 1905 Danzig . . . then a set of 30/30 because I'm getting set up to load that one and I thought a set might be fun for that too . . . and of course I bought a bunch of dies and ended up with a 30-06 set so I set those aside as I'll eventually re-load those at some point . . . and of course in the lot was a partial set for Win. 32 Spl. - don't have a complete set but I just might find a 32 spl rifle someday and I wanted to be "prepared" so I set those back with the set for 44 spl. 'cause I might get one of those someday as well . . .

I love the 310 tools and I got them to "use" . . . but now I'm kind of confused after reading this thread . . . . will someone educate me on the difference between a "user" and a "collector" and a "addict" . . . seems to me like it has to be a pretty slim line between the definitions? LOL :-)

And oh, yea . . . I'm blaming my "310 problem" on you guys . . . I kept reading your threads, I like doing things the "old way" and the more I read your posts . . . the more interested I got and then I took that dreaded first step of buying my first set of 310 dies . . . from there, it just went "downhill" . . . and there is not cure! :-)

John Allen
12-08-2014, 01:13 PM
310 tools are another addiction I do not need. I have actively avoided even looking at them.

Wayne Smith
12-08-2014, 01:43 PM
Hmmm . . . I just recently got interested in the 310 tools primarily as I wanted to use them once in a while to load my 38 Colt Shorts/Longs and 38 Spl. Then of course, I had to get a set for 8mm Mauser for my 1905 Danzig . . . then a set of 30/30 because I'm getting set up to load that one and I thought a set might be fun for that too . . . and of course I bought a bunch of dies and ended up with a 30-06 set so I set those aside as I'll eventually re-load those at some point . . . and of course in the lot was a partial set for Win. 32 Spl. - don't have a complete set but I just might find a 32 spl rifle someday and I wanted to be "prepared" so I set those back with the set for 44 spl. 'cause I might get one of those someday as well . . .

I love the 310 tools and I got them to "use" . . . but now I'm kind of confused after reading this thread . . . . will someone educate me on the difference between a "user" and a "collector" and a "addict" . . . seems to me like it has to be a pretty slim line between the definitions? LOL :-)

And oh, yea . . . I'm blaming my "310 problem" on you guys . . . I kept reading your threads, I like doing things the "old way" and the more I read your posts . . . the more interested I got and then I took that dreaded first step of buying my first set of 310 dies . . . from there, it just went "downhill" . . . and there is not cure! :-)

Consider the progression to addiction - first you try (user), then you get hooked (collector) and then you are hopeless (addict).

Char-Gar
12-08-2014, 02:41 PM
310 tools are another addiction I do not need. I have actively avoided even looking at them.

The only fellow that truly needs 310 tools is the guy who want to reload away from a place where he can set up a regular bench mounted press and dies. For the rest of us with 310 tools, well..it is just something we do.

Char-Gar
12-08-2014, 02:44 PM
bedbugbilly....A 310 user is the fellow who has them and loads ammo with them. A 310 collector is the fellow who has them and does not load ammo with them.

Hardcast416taylor
12-08-2014, 02:48 PM
I have a boxed 310 tool set up for .30-06 handles and all that a good friend gave me about 30 odd years back. I`ve never done anything more than to open the box and examine all the componets.Robert

45-70 Chevroner
12-08-2014, 02:53 PM
Wait a second! I think you need a set of 30 carbine dies also, just in case. And I have a set.:bigsmyl2: Well they are actually for the EZ-Loader, but can be used in the 310 tong tool. Original box too.

texassako
12-09-2014, 07:49 PM
I wanted a setup for the 4 old Remington rimless .25/.30/.32/.35 Rem. I will not be finished until I find that last set of .25 Remington dies, but that is probably wishful thinking since I have never even seen a set. I did find old style caliber stamped handles for all 4, and a .257 Roberts die set kind of fills in for the .25 Rem. Orphaned 310 neck sizer dies have come in handy a few times though, for loading something odd or experimenting.

Green Frog
12-09-2014, 09:18 PM
I wanted a setup for the 4 old Remington rimless .25/.30/.32/.35 Rem. I will not be finished until I find that last set of .25 Remington dies, but that is probably wishful thinking since I have never even seen a set. I did find old style caliber stamped handles for all 4, and a .257 Roberts die set kind of fills in for the .25 Rem. Orphaned 310 neck sizer dies have come in handy a few times though, for loading something odd or experimenting.

Somebody sold a set on flea-Bay a week or so ago. They were mislabeled as "25 Rim." Wish I had known you were looking for this rather unknown caliber!

Froggie

triggerhappy243
12-10-2014, 01:03 AM
I have a complete 310 set in 45-70. I dont own a 45-70. what could I sell this set for? comes with the handle tool too.

Char-Gar
12-10-2014, 11:50 AM
I have a complete 310 set in 45-70. I dont own a 45-70. what could I sell this set for? comes with the handle tool too.

I recently bought a boxed set with the 310 tool (aluminum handles) and all the 45-70 dies plus instructions at auction for $90.00. Without the box, you could subtract $20.00. Steels handles will bring about $20.00 more than aluminum handles.

The 45-70 is one of the more popular calibers as evidenced by the fact that it is still in production by Lyman. Of course I paid top dollar and yours might sell for less depending on the buyer. However I think $70.00 for the handles of either material and a complete set of dies would be the least I would sell them for.

square butte
12-10-2014, 12:13 PM
Still lookin for a 25-35 wcf set----- Then i'll be done.

1Shirt
12-10-2014, 12:38 PM
I have a fascination for 310 tools and dies. I started loading for 222 on one set I bought used, along with a used scale. Every now and then I go back and load a few of some ctg with them just for kicks. I buy individual dies when I see them at a good price, including push thru sizing dies. Reloading has come a long way in the 55 years or so since I started reloading!
1Shirt!

Green Frog
12-10-2014, 02:19 PM
I'm not an addict; I can stop any time I want. Heck I must have stopped at least 20 times in the last 15 years alone! ;)

Froggie

Dale53
12-10-2014, 06:28 PM
I am thinking seriously of getting a hair shirt for each of you with 310 fever. Looks like "self-flagellation to me:groner:

:kidding::kidding::kidding:

Keep on shooting, casting and reloading!
Dale53

starmac
12-11-2014, 02:19 AM
I have wound up with some 310 tong tool stuff a few times, not on purpose. I finally decided the best thing to do (cheapest) was to give it all away to someone who had the fever, BEFORE I got it. lol

chuckerbird
12-11-2014, 09:00 AM
I may be in trouble. Got a 310 setup for my 44/40's. Really like using it. I can kill a afternoon at the reloading bench, and it's fun using it. Looking at the set for my 357.

bedbugbilly
12-11-2014, 09:24 AM
chuckerbird - I'm sorry to inform you that your experience is very similar to mine only my first experience was loading 38s. My suggestion would be to go back up and re-read my post . . . and then start clearing space in your reloading area as you'll need it for more 310 stuff . . . it's sort of like "Lays potato chips" . . you can't stop with just one! :-)

Sounds like you had an enjoyable time with your 44/40 set! There's just something about it that I fine relaxing. I also loose track of time when I'm using mine . . . just fun seeing the completed product that you've put together from the boolits you've cast to the finished cartridge . . some folks play golf, some bowl . . . and some play with their 310 sets . . . have fun!

Char-Gar
12-11-2014, 01:57 PM
I may be in trouble. Got a 310 setup for my 44/40's. Really like using it. I can kill a afternoon at the reloading bench, and it's fun using it. Looking at the set for my 357.

You are not in trouble, as the old ways are strong in you. It is the lad who wants to jerk on the handle of a Dillon to cranks about a basket full of ammo before lunch that is in trouble. He has no connection with the soul of his rounds and that makes for bad karma and maybe a kaboom.

chuckerbird
12-11-2014, 01:59 PM
Relaxing and addictive. Seems like the ammo shoots better. Or at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

bedbugbilly
12-12-2014, 10:41 AM
Well said Char-Gar . . . . I get the same feeling when I insert and fire one of my 310 rounds in my old S & W M & P revolver (I say old as it was made the same year I was born). The revolver is not "pristine" . . shows some "honest wear" and just feels comfortable in my hand . . . kind of like the pistol has a "soul" as well as the hand loaded ammo from the 310 tool . . . . I don't get that same feeling when feeding 9mm loads that I've put together on my Lee press through a plastic semi-automatic . . it all lacks the "history". I guess you either "feel it" or you don't . . . that's why some folks love playing, restoring and driving Model Ts and As and others enjoy playing with Corvettes . . . we all travel to the beat of a different drum! :-)

Char-Gar
12-12-2014, 11:15 AM
Well said Char-Gar . . . . I get the same feeling when I insert and fire one of my 310 rounds in my old S & W M & P revolver (I say old as it was made the same year I was born). The revolver is not "pristine" . . shows some "honest wear" and just feels comfortable in my hand . . . kind of like the pistol has a "soul" as well as the hand loaded ammo from the 310 tool . . . . I don't get that same feeling when feeding 9mm loads that I've put together on my Lee press through a plastic semi-automatic . . it all lacks the "history". I guess you either "feel it" or you don't . . . that's why some folks love playing, restoring and driving Model Ts and As and others enjoy playing with Corvettes . . . we all travel to the beat of a different drum! :-)

"For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible."

Green Frog
12-12-2014, 02:07 PM
"For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible."

"It's like tryin' to tell a stranger 'bout Rock and Roll!" :bigsmyl2:

Frank V
12-13-2014, 09:48 PM
Har no battery is complete without a .38 Special, .44-40, .38-40, & .41 Mag?????[smilie=s:

jumbeaux
12-14-2014, 12:02 AM
If any of y'all know of a complete 32 S&W Long set please give me a shout...recently picked up a Model 30-1 to go along with my HE...my grandchildren want to start burning some powder...

rick

Garyshome
12-14-2014, 12:26 AM
There is No point in owning it unless you use it!

triggerhappy243
12-14-2014, 12:28 AM
well, I would like to sell this setup I have. I know I will never use it and it would be a shame to just let it sit.

Green Frog
12-15-2014, 07:05 PM
well, I would like to sell this setup I have. I know I will never use it and it would be a shame to just let it sit.

What caliber?????

Froggie

rmatchell
12-15-2014, 07:31 PM
My wife and Brassmagnet introduced me to 310 tools now I have to just stop looking at them on eBay

triggerhappy243
12-15-2014, 07:55 PM
45-70

Char-Gar
12-23-2014, 01:39 PM
Well that didn't last too long. A complete set of vintage 310 dies in 38-55 came up for auction on Ebay and didn't seem to provoke much bid interest. So I jumped in and got them for $36.00. I thought they would have gone for much more as this is a seldom seen caliber in 310 dies.

Yes, I do have a 38-55, but have not loaded for nor fired it since the late 60's. It is a Sharps Borchard military rifle that has been rebarreled by Denver barrel maker Axel Peterson to 38-55. The rifle was sold (and stamped) by J P Lower in Denver and wears a vintage tang sight and Beech front sight. The barrel is perfect inside and the last time it was fired produced a one ragged hole ten shoot group at 100 yards. I used a soft cast bullet over 15 grains of 2400.

I have been thinking about digging the rifle out and shooting it again. This set of dies, just may spur me on to do the deed.

Frank V
12-23-2014, 04:06 PM
Well that didn't last too long. A complete set of vintage 310 dies in 38-55 came up for auction on Ebay and didn't seem to provoke much bid interest. So I jumped in and got them for $36.00. I thought they would have gone for much more as this is a seldom seen caliber in 310 dies.

Yes, I do have a 38-55, but have not loaded for nor fired it since the late 60's. It is a Sharps Borchard military rifle that has been rebarreled by Denver barrel maker Axel Peterson to 38-55. The rifle was sold (and stamped) by J P Lower in Denver and wears a vintage tang sight and Beech front sight. The barrel is perfect inside and the last time it was fired produced a one ragged hole ten shoot group at 100 yards. I used a soft cast bullet over 15 grains of 2400.

I have been thinking about digging the rifle out and shooting it again. This set of dies, just may spur me on to do the deed.

That sounds like a really nice rifle. If I were you I'b be shooting it.

NoZombies
12-26-2014, 11:36 AM
I won't say I'm addicted.

I will say I have 310 dies for calibers I've never owned and never plan to, along with fully adjustable steel handles in both large and small sizes.

No I'm not addicted.

Frank V
12-26-2014, 02:13 PM
You know the 310 tool isn't the fastest way to reload ammo, I've loaded a lot of .38 Specials with it.
It is a great go anywhere tool, that with a set of scales will do it all! :-D

nitro-express
03-03-2015, 10:49 AM
Hello my name is "Nitro" and I'm a 310 addict, I have not bought any 310 dies or 310 parts in 2 months.

I started by finding a Tru-Line Jr at a gun show, cheap. Less than 6 months later I'm into it for 1 large and have dies for calibers I've never heard of. My family had an intervention and I've signed up for the meetings at the local 310-310 chapter.

Thanks to castboolits I also have a small bullet casting problem, that I'm hiding from my friends and family. It's been a long hard winter!

Frank V
03-03-2015, 11:51 AM
Hello my name is "Nitro" and I'm a 310 addict, I have not bought any 310 dies or 310 parts in 2 months.

I started by finding a Tru-Line Jr at a gun show, cheap. Less than 6 months later I'm into it for 1 large and have dies for calibers I've never heard of. My family had an intervention and I've signed up for the meetings at the local 310-310 chapter.

Thanks to castboolits I also have a small bullet casting problem, that I'm hiding from my friends and family. It's been a long hard winter!

Wow that's a great way to store dies too.
Let us know how your casting comes.

Der Gebirgsjager
03-03-2015, 02:20 PM
I got bitten badly by the 310 tool bug a couple of years ago, and ended up with two tool boxes full of handles and dies. It all started with the movie "Nevada Smith" where Brian Keith is sitting under a canopy in the badlands reloading with a 310 or something very similar. I started reloading in the middle 1960s, first with a Lee Loader, then graduated to a bench press. I had never thought what earlier reloading tools might have been like. Then one day at a local gun show I was examining all of the stuff on a friend's table and saw a pile of what was obviously small, black reloading dies. I asked him what they were and he explained their use, and what I had seen in the movie clicked. I bought the dies, then acquired a handle, and began to haunt e-bay. Have you noticed how difficult it is to get nice dies that aren't rusty? I bought several large batches of rusty dies and found that a wire wheel and some cold blue would do wonders for them. The more I studied it I began to realize that the 310 was just the last generation of hand tools, but before Lyman there was Ideal and a generation of tools with a built-in non-removeable die, with one tool dedicated to one cartridge. Then, even another preceding generation that included a bullet mold. I developed shortness of breath and heart palpitations knowing that I could never own them all. At the time I was really into Krag rifles and shooting cast bullets, and was experiencing the problem that I would bench press load a box or two of an experimental load, go to the range and shoot a few, decide to modify the load, and return with a number of still loaded unfired rounds. Eventually I had a lot of odds and ends of extra loads and no desire to tear them down, and I got the idea that I could load them one or two at a time at the range using dedicated 310 tool. So I bought a couple of .30-40 tools and set up a reloading assembly line at the range, one tool to neck size and prime, one to seat so that I didn't have to change dies. That lasted exactly one range session because it proved much slower than I desired and cut into the actual shooting time, and the breeze made me doubt my balance scale. I guess I could have gone to a dipper, but I was using several different charges of different powders and would have had to custom make a lot of dippers. So in the end I was left looking at all these tools and thinking, "Now what was I thinking here...?" But this past winter I did bring some of them from the shop into the kitchen and load cowboy cartridges. Still fun, but not efficient....

bobkk
03-08-2015, 11:37 AM
I started reloading with the 310 and a set of scales and powder funnel for a .243 40 some years ago. It was slow so it sits on the shelf now doing nothing. I did buy adapters to use it in a press.

Frank V
03-08-2015, 06:31 PM
There is no doubt the Lyman 310 is slow, a bench press is way faster.
What the 310 allows is a go anywhere tool that with a good scale will let you reload without a bench.
It can fit in a suitcase or ammo can & be taken into the hills, office, & load ammo when nothing else is available.
They still fulfill a purpose! :D

possom813
03-08-2015, 06:47 PM

Hallelujah! Amen! and everything else I can think of. I already have a bad enough addiction to modern tools, and bow saws, and flashlights...I don't think I need another tool-related addiction, don't think I could afford it.

On another note, did just score a Streamlight Scorpion for a buck at a thrift shop.

Frank V
03-08-2015, 06:54 PM
Hallelujah! Amen! and everything else I can think of. I already have a bad enough addiction to modern tools, and bow saws, and flashlights...I don't think I need another tool-related addiction, don't think I could afford it.

On another note, did just score a Streamlight Scorpion for a buck at a thrift shop.

:2_high5:

03-11-2015, 01:56 AM
I had a set laying around here for 20 years was starting to look at it with thoughts of learning to use it but luckily I came to my senses and listed it on here and a nice person on here bought it and saved me

Frank V
03-12-2015, 04:05 PM
I had a set laying around here for 20 years was starting to look at it with thoughts of learning to use it but luckily I came to my senses and listed it on here and a nice person on here bought it and saved me

Ok it's nice to sell something you won't be using & someone else can use.
Put the money into MORE BULLETS!

gimp4ever
03-15-2015, 09:30 PM
Hi ! All I am in Ned of All Your dies.You DO NOT NEED THEM. I Do. The 310 Shop Makes Them !! Have 38,44,30-06 308,243,222,220,45acp,270,30-30,NEED MORE. Thank You and God Bless

triggerhappy243
03-15-2015, 09:40 PM
I have a complete setup in 45-70 i will sell. I know i will never need it. Complete with handles too.

3006guns
03-16-2015, 05:33 AM
There is no doubt the Lyman 310 is slow, a bench press is way faster.
What the 310 allows is a go anywhere tool that with a good scale will let you reload without a bench.
It can fit in a suitcase or ammo can & be taken into the hills, office, & load ammo when nothing else is available.
They still fulfill a purpose! :D

I'm lucky.....picked up a universal, steel 310 handle and British .303 dies in almost new condition for twelve bucks......twenty five years ago. Never even used it for about eight years and then got curious and actually used it for reloading about twenty rounds one day. That started a frantic search for military rifle calibers I shoot and I managed to get almost all of them before they became an Ebay collector's "item". You know......"rare", "vintage" and "hard to find". Even found a set in 6.5 Jap, still in the original box, which set me back a whopping $9.95!

The tool is not without its faults but reliability is not one of them. It reloads good quality ammunition, but I really wish Lyman would bring out a set of steel handles again. I'm just prejudiced against softer alloys for tools, despite the "space age" technology.

I pack my 310 tool and dies in a padded .50 ammo can along with a supply of 200-300 boolits, powder and primers (can has vents cut in it). A Lee powder scoop in a predetermined size completes the set. My buddies stopped laughing the very first evening around the camp fire while I reloaded my 50 rifle cases. They shot up most of their "drug store" ammo the previous afternoon, while I was ready to go again the next morning....and the next....and the next....

I think the only comparable tool these days is the Lee hand press. With a set of dies and components, it accomplishes the same task and maybe with a bit more flexibility.

TNsailorman
03-16-2015, 02:35 PM
Like all true addiction, it starts with the following though, "I can quit anytime I want to". And therein lies the problem, you find you don't want to. Thank goodness the 310 bug never struck me but if I keep hanging out with you guys, I'll probably get the fever. Why not, I've got a habit of catching everything I get around; reloading, casting, shooting, buying equipment; does it ever end? Oh yeah, I just bought a 30-30 Lee Loader this morning, why? Because it was one of the older sets with the metal measure scoop and I have a hard time saying no to those metal scoops. I've got it bad. james

Frank V
03-16-2015, 07:54 PM
I'm lucky.....picked up a universal, steel 310 handle and British .303 dies in almost new condition for twelve bucks......twenty five years ago. Never even used it for about eight years and then got curious and actually used it for reloading about twenty rounds one day. That started a frantic search for military rifle calibers I shoot and I managed to get almost all of them before they became an Ebay collector's "item". You know......"rare", "vintage" and "hard to find". Even found a set in 6.5 Jap, still in the original box, which set me back a whopping $9.95!

The tool is not without its faults but reliability is not one of them. It reloads good quality ammunition, but I really wish Lyman would bring out a set of steel handles again. I'm just prejudiced against softer alloys for tools, despite the "space age" technology.

I pack my 310 tool and dies in a padded .50 ammo can along with a supply of 200-300 boolits, powder and primers (can has vents cut in it). A Lee powder scoop in a predetermined size completes the set. My buddies stopped laughing the very first evening around the camp fire while I reloaded my 50 rifle cases. They shot up most of their "drug store" ammo the previous afternoon, while I was ready to go again the next morning....and the next....and the next....

I think the only comparable tool these days is the Lee hand press. With a set of dies and components, it accomplishes the same task and maybe with a bit more flexibility.

:goodpost:

Heh, we really need a like button!

Ken in Iowa
03-17-2015, 11:28 AM
I have accumulated a dozen or so dies over the years. I enjoy priming my 30/40 cases with the 310. Is this a sign of things to come? ��

Green Frog
03-17-2015, 11:32 AM
I have accumulated a dozen or so dies over the years. I enjoy priming my 30/40 cases with the 310. Is this a sign of things to come? ��

Put down the 310 tool and step away. There may still be hope to save you if you act quickly. :bigsmyl2:

Froggie

Ken in Iowa
03-17-2015, 12:17 PM
Put down the 310 tool and step away. There may still be hope to save you if you act quickly. :bigsmyl2:

Froggie

Yes but I just bought another 30/40 rifle and a 311284 mould for it. Obviously I'll be loading more 30/40 ammo.

I am doomed.

Frank V
03-17-2015, 05:06 PM
Looks like a number of 310 users here. I haven't used one in a loooong time, but have loaded quite a few .38 Special & .44 Mags. on one. It always gave good ammo.
Must have been good, in 1965 I took a Black Bear with .45 Colt ammo loaded on the 310! :grin:

tomon
03-17-2015, 11:42 PM
I may have a couple handles, and one may be new in the box! If I can dig them out, I'll post them for sale!

bedbugbilly
03-18-2015, 12:24 PM
Geeeze . . . I know I'm and addict so am posting again as I'm feeling "guilty" . . . I just added as set of 45 Colt Long dies as well as a couple of 44 spl./russian dies that I needed to hopefully complete a set of those (I think as I can't remember just what I was missing and the rest of them are back in MI). Yes . . I am "shame faced". Unfortunately . . . the local TTTAA chapter meeting was cancelled this week . . "Three Ten Tool Addicts Anonymous" for those that aren't members yet. :-)

John Allen
03-18-2015, 12:34 PM
Char Gar, that is a nice collection.

Frank V
03-18-2015, 01:41 PM
Well there are a number of 310 fans.
It is actually a pretty nice tool even if slow compared to a bench press?

Wayne Smith
03-19-2015, 07:58 AM
Last nite I got out my 310 handles as I was loading 32S&W. I have all I need so I proceeded to load a bunch. It went faster than I thought, but thinking through back to the batch way took a minute! The TrueLine Jr. is faster, but much less portable. I would be scared of losing primers doing this outdoors with no floor under me, though. It took a little to get my fat fingers to put that small primer in the die.

Frank V
03-20-2015, 05:36 PM
Wayne

I'm not the only one who's lost primers using the 310?? [smilie=1:
My fingers are big too.

Green Frog
03-20-2015, 05:53 PM
Wayne

I'm not the only one who's lost primers using the 310?? [smilie=1:
My fingers are big too.

If you aren't loading over a table, spread a towel or other cloth across your lap and work over that. I too suffer from the dreaded FFS ("Fat Finger Syndrome.") :|

Froggie

Green Frog
03-23-2015, 10:39 AM
Well this thread and its content are going to cost me some money and effort. I dug out my neglected pistol dies and sorted out what I had, and I got headed off into adding a couple of calibers to make my 310/TL Jr collection usable for everything I shoot. "To dream the impossible dream..." :roll:

Froggie

Frank V
03-23-2015, 11:11 AM
Well this thread and its content are going to cost me some money and effort. I dug out my neglected pistol dies and sorted out what I had, and I got headed off into adding a couple of calibers to make my 310/TL Jr collection usable for everything I shoot. "To dream the impossible dream..." :roll:

Froggie

This is an interesting thread.
The 310 is a good tool, that will load good ammo.
It is a bit slower than some tools, but still will turn out good ammo & which bench tool will fit in a military ammo box for transport?

Green Frog
03-23-2015, 06:54 PM
The 310 tool and its predecessors have been used to load ammo for about 140 years or so; there is no doubt that they work well. The quality of the ammo one can produce depends on the components used and the care with which the operator works. Speed of production is not usually a factor, but truth to tell, with a little practice you can load almost as quickly with a 310 tool as a single stage press. About the only thing you cannot do with a 310 is resize brass heavily, and especially not full length... sizing is a neck-only proposition.

Still, there are those who will tell you that the tong tool is here to stay and those clunky bench mounted presses are just a passing fad! Who knows, they might be right. ;)

Froggie

Frank V
03-25-2015, 06:34 PM
The 310 tool and its predecessors have been used to load ammo for about 140 years or so; there is no doubt that they work well. The quality of the ammo one can produce depends on the components used and the care with which the operator works. Speed of production is not usually a factor, but truth to tell, with a little practice you can load almost as quickly with a 310 tool as a single stage press. About the only thing you cannot do with a 310 is resize brass heavily, and especially not full length... sizing is a neck-only proposition.

Still, there are those who will tell you that the tong tool is here to stay and those clunky bench mounted presses are just a passing fad! Who knows, they might be right. ;)

Froggie

:lol::lol:
Heh
I haven't used the 310 in a long time, but I'm not getting rid of it!!![smilie=l:

Le Loup Solitaire
03-25-2015, 09:26 PM
I have a 310 set for each of the calibers I load and enjoy working with them, especially the priming die. the tool was not designed for loading mass amounts of ammo nor doing it quickly. Trying either can get you a sore set of hands, but it is compact and portable and handy. One of my sets is for the 405 Winchester and you don't see or find that around usually. One set I had to make for the 35 Whelan using a set for the 358 Winchester dies and using them in a small set of handles to compensate for the difference in case length. Works well. LLS

Frank V
03-26-2015, 01:54 PM
I have a 310 set for each of the calibers I load and enjoy working with them, especially the priming die. the tool was not designed for loading mass amounts of ammo nor doing it quickly. Trying either can get you a sore set of hands, but it is compact and portable and handy. One of my sets is for the 405 Winchester and you don't see or find that around usually. One set I had to make for the 35 Whelan using a set for the 358 Winchester dies and using them in a small set of handles to compensate for the difference in case length. Works well. LLS

:goodpost:

I love it when we improvise.
I remember for years using .44 Special dies to reload .44 Mags....
& .38 Special dies to reload .357s.
The reverse will not work, but now all manufactures have mag/special dies.
The 310 is still a viable loading setup!:happy dance:

usmc1963
03-26-2015, 02:11 PM
do they make a 310 setup for 6.5x68 or 7x64

3006guns
03-26-2015, 06:50 PM
do they make a 310 setup for 6.5x68 or 7x64

Not currently from Lyman however if you contact The 310 Shop in Texas, Rick might be able to assemble a set of custom dies for you.

Frank V
03-28-2015, 12:55 PM
For most handgun cartridges, some components, a 310, & a Little Dandy RCBS powder measure & you are well set!

Green Frog
03-31-2015, 11:15 AM
After a long correspondence, BrassMagnet and I "did our first deal" to exchange some of our un-needed dies for some the other had that we did need. He is a very accommodating and patient person and we both got something we wanted with a minimum of fuss and bother (assuming the USPS doesn't lose the package I sent to him via Priority Mail!) He also introduced me to another acquaintance of his who goes by the name of George... he came to my place (all the way from Colorado apparently) and stole, hid or lost a die I know I had. I finally put together a complete set of 310 and TruLine Jr dies in the desirable 32-20 caliber, complete with bullet sizing die and a push through FL case sizer and shell holder to go with a gorgeous set of interchangeable steel handles and a dedicated TL Jr... and that @*%# George ran off with my #10 priming chamber! It was right there on my bench last week. :groner: Anyway, I've got what I need to do a work around, so my Uberti SAA will now be fed in the classic, classy manner it deserves. I'm holding off on getting a replacement PC because I know as soon as I do, George will stick the original under my pillow or something. :-?

Froggie

PS I've now got plans to assemble similar sets in 32 S&W/327, 38 Spl/357 Mag, 44 Spl/Mag and 45 ACP. I'm almost done if George will stay out of my basement! I've tried to trick him with decentralized storage techniques (everything is a mess) so maybe he'll get confused and think he was already here. [smilie=w:

Frank V
04-01-2015, 12:10 PM
Froggie
Hope it works out!