PDA

View Full Version : H&R Production Over

jmort
12-06-2014, 03:27 PM
No more H&R production, and possibly no more H&R period.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-centerfire-rifles/hr-rifles-and-shotguns-stops-production/

Mike in TX
12-06-2014, 04:45 PM
Danmable shame but I have looked at CVA and am impressed. Sorry to see H&R go to the coal dust bin, they have been around for so long.

aspangler
12-06-2014, 05:07 PM
"NEF Brand Transition - What does this mean?

ExplanationWe will discontinue the use of the New England Firearms brand name on our current firearms but not on firearm parts.
There will be no product changes. Parts and service for New England Firearms products will continue to be available under the New England Firearm brand name."

The above is right off their website. NEF discontinued not H&R.

jmort
12-06-2014, 05:21 PM
Check out the link from Gray Beards. It is over for H&R

aspangler
12-06-2014, 05:29 PM
Checked it. Says nothing about quitting production of H&R. Just NEF. Buds is still selling and promoting them as "the largest maker of single shot guns in the world."

dragon813gt
12-06-2014, 05:35 PM
Am I missing something in the link? I saw nothing official from the company. Just some people commenting. I guess Marlin production is being cut if I'm to believe what I read.

jmort
12-06-2014, 05:36 PM
wfnt.com (http://wfnt.com/) "The Gun Smith's Show" reports this morning 12/6/14, that H&R rifles and shotguns ends production. I don't know anything further.
(They also reported that the recently re-introduced Ruger Red Label Shotguns are ceasing production.)

Looks like Bud's hit all their distributors and bought all they could, get em whilst you can! http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/Smileys/default/grin.gif

Tim

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/36_262/Rifles/Harrington+and+Richardson

"I work at a gun shop a few nights a week and last week I got word from a distributor that H&R was done. Made a few more phone calls and other distributors had the same story. I heard Marlin is taking a big cut in production too, sure is unfortunate."

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-centerfire-rifles/hr-rifles-and-shotguns-stops-production/

Gray Beards is the ultimate source of info about Handi Rifles. They hit the end of the barrel accessory program right on. The only H&R factory smith is a member there. It makes sense based on the end of the barrel accessory program and the fact the Cerberus is on the block.

bikerbeans
12-06-2014, 07:34 PM

Explanation

We will discontinue the use of the New England Firearms brand name on our current firearms but not on firearm parts.
There will be no product changes. Parts and service for New England Firearms products will continue to be available under the New England Firearm brand name."

The NEF brand was discontinued many years ago. HR1871/Remington aren't real good at updating their website. The above statement from the HR1871 website means nothing regarding the current situation in Ilion, NY.

BB

bikerbeans
12-06-2014, 07:40 PM
I knows Buds claims to sell NEF branded rifles and shotguns, but if they do they are at least 8 or 9 years old. NEF Handirifles and pardner shotguns have a serial number starting with the letter "N" and the latest NEF receiver I have seen is from about 2004. The history of the NEF brand is documented on the GBO site in the H&R CF rifle forum in a large sticky thread referred to as the "FAQS".

BB

NoAngel
12-06-2014, 08:14 PM
The barrel accessory program is for fact and for certain over with. The guy on the phone I talked to when ordering parts says he doesn't beleive it will be back ever.

Remington sucks. They have botched up everything they've touched lately.

Bigslug
12-06-2014, 08:50 PM
Remington sucks. They have botched up everything they've touched lately.

You have to wonder what at they perceive the game to be. If you've got a line of cheap, decent quality entry guns like the Pardner/Topper/Handi under your umbrella, why drop it? I've never seriously studied the H&R's, but it doesn't really compete at the other Remington price points.

Jim Flinchbaugh
12-06-2014, 09:52 PM

Explanation

We will discontinue the use of the New England Firearms brand name on our current firearms but not on firearm parts.

According to the html code
This was "modified" by Remington Saturday Dec 6. That's today, so its new or updated as of a few hours ago

crashguy
12-06-2014, 10:25 PM
Just a thought ...H&R is a Remington Company...Remington just announced a closure of it's NY plant and move to Huntsville Alabama.... Maybe they are moving H&R production down south as well

NoAngel
12-06-2014, 10:33 PM
Maybe they'll move down south and get a better quality product made.

Lefty Red
12-07-2014, 05:48 AM
Just a thought ...H&R is a Remington Company...Remington just announced a closure of it's NY plant and move to Huntsville Alabama.... Maybe they are moving H&R production down south as well

Then we can look forward to H&R is loose its case coloring frames or even the blued frames and barrels and go with that ugly "Express" coating and dull wood. Not that its too much of a step down from now's blueing and pallet wood stocks.

gewehrfreund
12-07-2014, 06:18 PM

Wrong. Remington just laid off 125 workers, mostly as a result of the 700 recall winding down. There are still about 1000 people employed in Ilion.

That's not to say that more layoffs might not occur in the future since the downstate idiots reelected Arrogant Worm Andrew Cuomo.

Garyshome
12-07-2014, 08:14 PM
So now that the firearms shortage is now over all the manufacturers are going out of business?

dtknowles
12-07-2014, 08:48 PM
I am afraid that a bust will follow the boom.

Tim

oldred
12-08-2014, 12:46 PM
Arrogant Worm Andrew Cuomo.

Lol, Right you are! That is probably the best description short of something that would not be allowed on a family friendly site like this one!

FergusonTO35
12-10-2014, 09:43 PM
Lefty Red, I haven't seen a new H&R or NEF with the case color frame since the Gardner plant closed. All the new H&R's around here have a flat black receiver with laminate furniture. Word from many places is that Remmy is now going to replace the trigger assembly of any 700 free if the owner requests it so mebbe those people will be going back to work. My best friend's 700 ADL .243 has a sweet trigger that has never malfunctioned so I don't see him sending it in.

Lefty Red
12-11-2014, 01:38 AM
Lefty Red, I haven't seen a new H&R or NEF with the case color frame since the Gardner plant closed. All the new H&R's around here have a flat black receiver with laminate furniture. Word from many places is that Remmy is now going to replace the trigger assembly of any 700 free if the owner requests it so mebbe those people will be going back to work. My best friend's 700 ADL .243 has a sweet trigger that has never malfunctioned so I don't see him sending it in.

Yeah, I think the last case colored frame one I saw was my old 058 Topper!
I was saying what Remington did to the Marlins, replaced actual blued with that "Express" finish that looks like flat black BBQ grill paint (but not that pretty!) and down graded the wood.

The last Handi I had had that ugly "blueing" that looked painted on, and pallet wood furniture.

Jerry

BAGTIC
12-11-2014, 02:04 AM
IF THEY WERE PROFITABLE THEY WILL KEEP MAKING THEM. Remington is a business. It's responsibility is to stay solvent and return a profit not to cater to dilettantes. If H&R had been so profitable they would not have been sold to Marlin and then in turn to Remington.

dlbarr
12-11-2014, 02:15 AM
IF THEY WERE PROFITABLE THEY WILL KEEP MAKING THEM. Remington is a business. It's responsibility is to stay solvent and return a profit not to cater to dilettantes. If H&R had been so profitable they would not have been sold to Marlin and then in turn to Remington.

I'm afraid you must be right about that one, BAGTIC. I really have about all I need from them other than maybe a 30-30 barrel and another 45-70 BC barrel (have one already but want one to cut back to 25" or so). But I'm real disappointed that they'll be gone - those are great little firearms that apparently needed a little more profit built into them...

dtknowles
12-11-2014, 01:16 PM

Yes and no. If H&R was not profitable why would anyone buy it? There could be reasons. Can they be made profitable, is the way to do it to make them cheaper or make them better? Maybe they could be made both better and cheaper. Maybe Remington is the wrong company to make a go of it. What is in a name. Anyone can copy the design, patents long expired.

Tim

NoAngel
12-11-2014, 01:37 PM
I'd love to see a smaller group of people who, unlike Remington, care about producing a quality product buy out this company and put it back on track.

Remington only care about bottom lines. I'd like to see a company like Henry take it over. Henry makes a profit or they wouldn't be in business but they obviously are content with a smaller market share and possibly smaller margins in exchange for producing a better product and standing behind something worth being proud of.

I'd like to see a smaller company take over and address the quality issues of the H&R design. A hardened barrel lug and an improved trigger could make this platform compete with encore/contenders any day. Sacrificing a little fit and finish would be acceptable to keep the cost down but the weakest part of the Handi is the butter soft barrel lug and the trigger.

aspangler
12-11-2014, 03:44 PM
Just hung up the phone with H&R 2 minutes ago. They are NOT going out of business. The Barrel and accessory program IS ending but NOT production. Straight from the horses mouth.

Tackleberry41
12-11-2014, 05:51 PM
Generally it seems anytime wal street people get ahold of anything, they bleed it dry, then gut it to make a few more bucks. The husk thats left over goes bankrupt, the name sold off. Its happening to Red Lobster right now, they are selling the chain off in pieces, then one day that will be it. The pensions dumped on the govt, the debts worthless, the wal street guys walk away with a fat check. Doesnt matter the history of something like H&R, all they see is the $.

Im thinking that they have limped H&R along for a while until there is no more blood to squeeze, now its time to dump it. They probably looked at the options, cutting corners to get some profit, probably couldn't find any corners left being such a basic weapon. Maybe considered increasing the price but alot of us would scream bloody murder if they did. So the excuse of moving the factory comes along, and then one day no more handi rifles. Or just going to farm it out overseas somewhere, and had to cut loose all the employees first.

But dont be expecting any sort of straight story from the company anytime soon.

aspangler
12-11-2014, 11:09 PM
Generally it seems anytime wal street people get ahold of anything, they bleed it dry, then gut it to make a few more bucks. The husk thats left over goes bankrupt, the name sold off. Its happening to Red Lobster right now, they are selling the chain off in pieces, then one day that will be it. The pensions dumped on the govt, the debts worthless, the wal street guys walk away with a fat check. Doesnt matter the history of something like H&R, all they see is the $.

Im thinking that they have limped H&R along for a while until there is no more blood to squeeze, now its time to dump it. They probably looked at the options, cutting corners to get some profit, probably couldn't find any corners left being such a basic weapon. Maybe considered increasing the price but alot of us would scream bloody murder if they did. So the excuse of moving the factory comes along, and then one day no more handi rifles. Or just going to farm it out overseas somewhere, and had to cut loose all the employees first.

But dont be expecting any sort of straight story from the company anytime soon.
Was also told that they had just hires 25 more workers.

Four-Sixty
12-12-2014, 12:10 PM
If they re-developed the rifle to have universal fit barrels, and you could buy the barrels at Bass Pro, Academy etc., I bet they would make a killing at their current prices.

hpdrifter
12-14-2014, 06:13 PM
Sounds like they're just going to rename them.

TCLouis
12-14-2014, 10:23 PM
IF it were a business then why would they cut into their sales dropping the accessory barrel program.

Pencil-necks running a firearms company???

drinks
12-21-2014, 11:49 PM
It appears Rossi is about all that is left in affordable ss rifles and shotguns.

aspangler
12-22-2014, 12:02 AM
It appears Rossi is about all that is left in affordable ss rifles and shotguns.
Reread post #26.

War Eagle
12-23-2014, 12:17 AM
If they re-developed the rifle to have universal fit barrels, and you could buy the barrels at Bass Pro, Academy etc., I bet they would make a killing at their current prices.
I have often pondered this very same thing. The big issue though is the mass of weaker (shotgun) receivers out there. NEF/H&R has stated the primary reason for shipping your receiver to them for "barrel fitting" is to ensure which receiver you actually have.

The only way to really get around any of the weaker receiver / high pressure barrel mixtures would be to possibly introduce a new receiver, maybe a SB3 generation to support all barrels and make it so no SB1 or SB2 barrels can interchange with it. Of course this means a new design ($$$) and likely retooling ($$$) and with a corporate money pinch already in place any cost would get passed to us...of course we would scoff when you can go buy a new Ruger American for $50 more...

1989toddm
12-23-2014, 02:08 AM
I have often pondered this very same thing. The big issue though is the mass of weaker (shotgun) receivers out there. NEF/H&R has stated the primary reason for shipping your receiver to them for "barrel fitting" is to ensure which receiver you actually have.

The only way to really get around any of the weaker receiver / high pressure barrel mixtures would be to possibly introduce a new receiver, maybe a SB3 generation to support all barrels and make it so no SB1 or SB2 barrels can interchange with it. Of course this means a new design ($$$) and likely retooling ($$$) and with a corporate money pinch already in place any cost would get passed to us...of course we would scoff when you can go buy a new Ruger American for $50 more...
Good thoughts, could be the deal.

jmort
12-23-2014, 02:25 AM
There will be no more Handi Rifle production for foreseeable future/forever. H&R will continue to sell Pardner pumps from China, which are a great deal for around $200. So let's see what the new year brings and who is right and wrong on this. I will gladly admit I am wrong if production of Handi Rifles continues.

butch2570
12-26-2014, 08:38 PM
IF THEY WERE PROFITABLE THEY WILL KEEP MAKING THEM. Remington is a business. It's responsibility is to stay solvent and return a profit not to cater to dilettantes. If H&R had been so profitable they would not have been sold to Marlin and then in turn to Remington.Remington was once a great manufacturing company, but sadly that's over, you say their responsibility is to stay solvent and not to cater to dilettantes? How do you propose they stay profitable when people like myself that have a gun cabinet full of older remingtons ,quite buying them now, because of their sloppy and trashy quality control?? I have not bought a new Remington , Marlin or NEF in the last 2 years because of their trashy looking poorly fit items...Remington is one of the WORST companies to market a truly good product and their marketing dept muffs it up, and leaves the customer hanging with no support on their proprietary calibers, example 222 REM, still a popular little caliber, CZ, SAKO, and SAVAGE still market this caliber, REM designed it and offer no Production rifles for it now, and only offer runs on the ammo. 6mm REM, everything the 243 WIN is and then some, again marketing flub, they made a run on this rifle 3 or 4 years ago in a stainless laminate for around $1100 and a short run in a maple stocked 7600 pump for $300 more than a walnut stocked one and only offer ammo in limited runs again, and it's around $ 30 dollars a box for the el cheapo ammo, vs $20 for the same green and yellow box 243 win, why would anyone buy a 6mm over a 243 when there is that much of a price difference in the rifles and ammo, the average Joe can buy all kinds of off the shelf $500 rifles in a 243. They have shot their own self in the foot, and I feel sorry for their workers but not their greedy management. Some more REM situations where they left the PAYING CONSUMER hanging after buying their poorly supported products are the 222 Rem Mag, 5mm, the 8mm Rem Mag,6.5 Rem Mag,350 Rem Mag, I don't think they even offer brass now for some of these calibers. Even the really good calibers like the 25-06, 7mm08,22-250,260,221, 17,280 are limited on availability on ammo or brass, to where you can't actually walk into a gun shop on a regular basis and buy Rem brand ammo for their own products in some of those more popular rounds, but you can always seem to find 243,308 ,223,30-06 ,270, 7mm mag and 300 mag in REM brand ammo anytime you want. They are trying to create a stable market for themselves in the future by cutting us the consumer back on the options we have when purchasing a new firearm and keeping their costs down, in the not so far off future here is going to be your choices, 223/556,243,270,308,30-06, 7 mm Mag, 300 win Mag and you will buy these or nothing.That way they can keep costs down by controlling the amount of tooling costs and they can run 7 different kinds of ammo and not be bothered with changing the ammo plant back and forth with different calibers all the time. They lost my business a long time ago, I have lost all respect for them, probably never to be found again.

C. Latch
12-26-2014, 08:53 PM
Remington was once a great manufacturing company, but sadly that's over, you say their responsibility is to stay solvent and not to cater to dilettantes? How do you propose they stay profitable when people like myself that have a gun cabinet full of older remingtons ,quite buying them now, because of their sloppy and trashy quality control?? I have not bought a new Remington , Marlin or NEF in the last 2 years because of their trashy looking poorly fit items...Remington is one of the WORST companies to market a truly good product and their marketing dept muffs it up, and leaves the customer hanging with no support on their proprietary calibers, example 222 REM, still a popular little caliber, CZ, SAKO, and SAVAGE still market this caliber, REM designed it and offer no Production rifles for it now, and only offer runs on the ammo. 6mm REM, everything the 243 WIN is and then some, again marketing flub, they made a run on this rifle 3 or 4 years ago in a stainless laminate for around $1100 and a short run in a maple stocked 7600 pump for $300 more than a walnut stocked one and only offer ammo in limited runs again, and it's around $ 30 dollars a box for the el cheapo ammo, vs $20 for the same green and yellow box 243 win, why would anyone buy a 6mm over a 243 when there is that much of a price difference in the rifles and ammo, the average Joe can buy all kinds of off the shelf $500 rifles in a 243. They have shot their own self in the foot, and I feel sorry for their workers but not their greedy management. Some more REM situations where they left the PAYING CONSUMER hanging after buying their poorly supported products are the 222 Rem Mag, 5mm, the 8mm Rem Mag,6.5 Rem Mag,350 Rem Mag, I don't think they even offer brass now for some of these calibers. Even the really good calibers like the 25-06, 7mm08,22-250,260,221, 17,280 are limited on availability on ammo or brass, to where you can actually walk into a gun shop and buy Rem ammo for their own products. They are trying to create a stable market for themselves in the future by cutting us the consumer back on the options we have when purchasing a new firearm and keeping their costs down, in the not so far off future here is going to be your choices, 223/556,243,270,308,30-06, 7 mm Mag, 300 win Mag and you will buy these or nothing.That way they can keep costs down by controlling the amount of tooling costs and they can run 7 different kinds of ammo and not be bothered with changing the ammo plant back and forth with different calibers all the time. They lost my business a long time ago, I have lost all respect for them, probably never to be found again.

You're right. They should totally continue to make calibers that didn't sell.

Wait, what?

butch2570
12-26-2014, 09:19 PM
You're right. They should totally continue to make calibers that didn't sell.

Wait, what? 222 Rem never sold ?????? Why is three other gun manufactures still making them then ? All kinds of other companies offer ammo for the 222 and remington can only squeeze it in on a yearly lot? I was talking about Support for what they did manufacture, they should at least still offer the brass for these rounds even if they didn't offer the calibers in a rifle now. I know 3 people in my area that were at one time looking for 8mm mag brass and 2 other guys that had 6.5 mag and needed brass and remington had dropped it entirely. Don't sell something to someone then drop the componets off the face of the planet then move on to something else.

C. Latch
12-26-2014, 09:36 PM
I have a 6.5RM. I'd be embarrased to think remington owed me brass for a rifle sold 45 years ago.

for that matter, I'd be embarrassed to think they owed anything to anyone.

dtknowles
12-26-2014, 09:43 PM
Hey, it is call early adopter risk. You buy some new product don't expect support if it flops. The company faces some risk, if the put out one flop after another then their new product releases may face a skeptical consumer.

Tim

butch2570
12-26-2014, 09:47 PM
I have a 6.5RM. I'd be embarrased to think remington owed me brass for a rifle sold 45 years ago.

for that matter, I'd be embarrassed to think they owed anything to anyone.Well , I guess they Owe about 7 million triggers to somebody out there then for all the model 700s floating around ....And they made a version of the 6.5 Mag in 2004 ....

dragon813gt
12-27-2014, 09:50 AM
6.5 and 8mm mag are such low production. You can't get any 35 Remington which sold millions. Why do you expect to be able to buy others that were failures? Want to shoot an oddball cartridge? Then you better buy components when it first comes out because there is no telling how long it will last.

BAGTIC
12-27-2014, 03:20 PM
Could it be that the accessory barrel program is unprofitable because it involves receiving and returning lots of low value people at different locations. Lot of manpower for returns.

Best solution would be to modify design or upgrade production equipment so barrels would not need to be fitted. That way they could be supplied through normal retail channels. Of course that might require up front $$ something that Marlin might not have been able to afford but bigger Remington thought it might.

butch2570
12-27-2014, 07:27 PM
6.5 and 8mm mag are such low production. You can't get any 35 Remington which sold millions. Why do you expect to be able to buy others that were failures? Want to shoot an oddball cartridge? Then you better buy components when it first comes out because there is no telling how long it will last. 'You can't get 35 Rem which sold millions'... My Point Exactly.. Rem design and now very little support for it , and it is on the verge of obscurity, even with "Millions Sold", would already have been if not for Marlin 336 (Pre- Remington ) and T/C Barrels. May be if REM cut some of the production back on the 223 ammo, which if you check gunbot right now, it's listed by the hundreds and pallets full,they could actually make some other runs of ammo for the customers who bought some other Rem ill thought out and conceived ideas. Uphold them all you want.. I'm not sure what constitutes a failure either, is 300,000 rifles a failure, a million? is " MILLIONS" a failure? There has only been roughly 7.5 million 700 Rem produced and that's their most popular production rifle, with probably the 30-06 as THE most popular chambering, so I have to wonder about what REM considers a success and whether or not they will support it after it's hit the market. And if there was only one run a year made on the venerable 30-06 ammo, and brass was not readily available for it, then even it would lag in sales and fall to the wayside. People won't buy much of something if they can't get supplies for it.

dragon813gt
12-27-2014, 08:59 PM
A lot of cartridges have always been seasonal runs. This is never going to change. There are also other manufacturers of ammo. They all want to make money. If Remington drops production and ATK sees a profit in it then they will start production. Problem is that there is apparently no profit in it. 35 Remington will sell out very fast. The cartridges you listed will sit on the shelf. If they were running the annual runs then this would be noticeable.

I'm not defending their decision to not make ammo anymore. But cartridges come and go. It's gotten worse as the years have progressed because there is always something new. Like I said, if you shoot an oddball buy components when they're first releases. Because there is no telling if it's going to be a hit or miss.

Fishman
12-28-2014, 10:20 AM
I think butch2570 has a point. Marketing folks often have no clue about their customers, but think they do because they took a few classes.

C. Latch
12-28-2014, 10:59 AM
I think butch2570 has a point. Marketing folks often have no clue about their customers, but think they do because they took a few classes.

I'd suggest that Remington and all the other ammo makers have far, far more of a clue about current demand than anyone on this board, especially those who are whining the loudest.

Y'all may have forgotten, but we're 2 years into the biggest panic-buying spree in American gun history. EVERYONE has shifted production to high-volume big-sellers. I fully expect availability of more obscure things to return soon - within the next 2 years - but if I ran Remington you're insane if you think I'd tool up to make a run of 8mm Remington magnum brass while there were people darned near fighting in the aisles over .223 and .22lr......unless people were willing to pay so much for those low-demand calibers that it was more profitable to do so. Reality is that very few people are willing to pay such ultra-premium prices for oddball brass. Fortunately, the worst of the panic seems to be over and things are normalizing again.

For the man willing to learn, the shooting world has had some object lessons in economics for the last couple of years. It's hard to learn when you're busy whining, though, so I expect the whiners to continue whining.

dragon813gt
12-28-2014, 11:16 AM
It has nothing to do w/ marketing. It has everything to do w/ the accounting department. Profit is in the high volume sellers. 22lr doesn't play into this because they're run on completely different machines. They want to make a profit. Who knows if they make any profit on any of the oddball calibers. It's probably thin and they're doing it as a service to their customers.

The machines have to be running to make money. The less time they spend switching them over to different cartridges the more money they make. Pretty simple economics.

butch2570
12-28-2014, 10:53 PM
I'd suggest that Remington and all the other ammo makers have far, far more of a clue about current demand than anyone on this board, especially those who are whining the loudest.

Y'all may have forgotten, but we're 2 years into the biggest panic-buying spree in American gun history. EVERYONE has shifted production to high-volume big-sellers. I fully expect availability of more obscure things to return soon - within the next 2 years - but if I ran Remington you're insane if you think I'd tool up to make a run of 8mm Remington magnum brass while there were people darned near fighting in the aisles over .223 and .22lr......unless people were willing to pay so much for those low-demand calibers that it was more profitable to do so. Reality is that very few people are willing to pay such ultra-premium prices for oddball brass. Fortunately, the worst of the panic seems to be over and things are normalizing again.

For the man willing to learn, the shooting world has had some object lessons in economics for the last couple of years. It's hard to learn when you're busy whining, though, so I expect the whiners to continue whining. C Latch: I think Remington has done this same repeated scenario over and over again through the years, this is not something they just started post Sandy Hook. The 8 mm mag was totally dropped 3-4 years ago well before "the biggest panic-buying spree in american gun history" and was just one instance of many I was referring too . And not only that but I was done with my opinions on this thread, Until you sir, started slinging mud like a child because someone else had a view differing from yours.

hpdrifter
12-28-2014, 11:12 PM
it really boggles my mind why people inject "sir" into their schtick.

C. Latch
12-29-2014, 09:28 AM
it really boggles my mind why people inject "sir" into their schtick.

It boggles my mind how many gun owners don't understand economics. They don't understand politics or liberty, either, but merely understanding economics would be a nice first step.

butch2570
12-29-2014, 11:40 AM
It boggles my mind how many gun owners don't understand economics. They don't understand politics or liberty, either, but merely understanding economics would be a nice first step.I understand economics just fine, that's why I don't buy new or declining calibers any longer , they offer nothing over what we already have. I also have sold and auctioned off all the these rounds that are fast becoming obsolete, the only 4 I have kept are my (3) 222 rem, which I have loads of brass for ,and 223 brass to boot if I would ever have to reform, and the 6 mm which I have enough brass to burn a few barrels out with. I'm glad you ( in all your self righteousness have all these understandings under control), can come here and teach the rest of us that don't understand anything, something.

Nicholas
12-29-2014, 12:09 PM
Reminds me of my motto for Wal-Mart. "If we don't have it, you don't need it." Makes sense to management and stock holders. Makes opportunity for niche marketers - see the S and S forum for some examples.

butch2570
12-29-2014, 12:46 PM
I think butch2570 has a point. Marketing folks often have no clue about their customers, but think they do because they took a few classes.Tell me what Rem marketing was thinking when they brainstormed the Etronx idea, a gun with a battery. Oh I forgot they have far, far more a clue to marketing and demand than the consumers do. I guess they needed to sell alot of 223 ammo to cover the cost of that flub also..

NVScouter
12-29-2014, 02:04 PM

Sure just send it back in 12 times to get it to work.

troyboy
12-29-2014, 04:21 PM
This thread has really gone left.The market will dictate the future of the Handi rifle. There are still plenty on the secondary market if production stops.

CLAYPOOL
12-30-2014, 01:07 AM
That Etronx ammo ( 1 Box) was the first box of .220 Swift I got in my price range last summer. Yes I altered it to be standard ammo. and yes its not my first year of reloading. Any thing can change.

Texantothecore
12-30-2014, 09:48 PM
I heard that H&R will becoming out with a new model in 2016. If it is a model that can switch barrels off the rack they will wipe the floor with their competitors.

War Eagle
12-30-2014, 10:02 PM
If there is any truth to that rumor that could explain a lot.

The "halt in production" could be an alotted period to let current stock sell out while they retool.

The end of the accessory barrel program may also be a way to lead into the new models. It's possible they could be refusing to accept receivers for new barrels if they are tooling up for a new barrel design for a new receiver design. If they plan to offer a universal barrel system for a new receiver design then there would be no need for the barrel accessory program.

Of course this is all just conjecture and with Remington at the helm, I will believe it when I see it.

jmort
12-30-2014, 10:07 PM
That would be great. Not what I heard, but nice. I spent a bundle to get my receivers in and the last minute and get four barrels before the barrel program.

FLHTC
12-31-2014, 06:44 AM
This thread has really gone left.The market will dictate the future of the Handi rifle. There are still plenty on the secondary market if production stops.

This site should be called "The sand box"

BAGTIC
01-04-2015, 12:42 AM
If Savage could make a low cost hinged action single shot with interchangeable barrels in the 1920's Remington and everyone else should be able to do it now.

BAGTIC
01-04-2015, 12:44 AM
Reminds me of a bunch of old women sitting in the kitchen gossiping. Lot of talking but very few facts.

jmort
01-04-2015, 01:00 AM
"If Savage could make a low cost hinged action single shot with interchangeable barrels in the 1920's Remington and everyone else should be able to do it now."

I get my information from Graybeard's and they may be wrong. I also got information directly from H&R. Nothing wrong with speculation. Love the economic analysis you did for Remington/Freedom group, and "everyone" for that matter, that is seriously factual.