PDA

View Full Version : classic 45 COLT HP PERFORMANCE

Wolfer
12-06-2014, 02:56 PM

I SHOT THIS DOE THIS MORNING WITH MY 45 COLT. 452-424 WITH CUP POINT AT AROUND 1050 FPS. BOOLIT WAS BULGING THE HIDE ON THE OPPOSITE HIP. AROUND 30'' OF PENETRATION.
THE LEAVES WERE WET AND WHILE I HAD ENOUGH BLOOD TRAIL TO FOLLOW IT WAS PRETTY SCIMPY.
I WALKED THE 200 YDS BACK TO THE HOUSE AND GOT MY YELLOW HELPER. SHE TRAILED IT RIGHT UP BUT AS YOU CAN SEE BY THE HAIR AROUND HER THAT SHE TAKES HER JOB SERIOUS. SHE WENT ABOUT 75 YDS BEFORE CRASHING INTO A CEDAR TREE.
/Users/home/Desktop/DSCN0130.JPG

jmort
12-06-2014, 03:16 PM
Nice report. Nice wooded hunting area. Love to see recovered bullets.

Baron von Trollwhack
12-06-2014, 03:36 PM
Good for you and your helper!

BvT

FlatTop45LC
12-06-2014, 04:02 PM
Nice shooting!

What was your load?

Wolfer
12-06-2014, 05:36 PM
It's the somewhat controversial load of 10 grs of unique. The 452-424 HP weighs 245 gr.
It runs 1050/1070 fps or thereabouts.

Ive killed several deer with this load. This is the farthest I've had one go. She had me spotted and left there like a scalded dog. From the shot until I heard her crash into the cedar tree was just a few seconds.

Wolfer
12-06-2014, 05:40 PM
When I first posted this I had a picture of the recovered boolit. Now I can't see it.
can you all see it?

jmort
12-06-2014, 05:42 PM
It was and is there in all its glory.

Dan Cash
12-06-2014, 07:35 PM
It's the somewhat controversial load of 10 grs of unique. The 452-424 HP weighs 245 gr.

Ive killed several deer with this load. This is the farthest I've had one go. She had me spotted and left there like a scalded dog. From the shot until I heard her crash into the cedar tree was just a few seconds.

If you have a carbine or revolver to handle that load, it is obviously good to go. I would surely hate to get that load in my Colt, Uberti clone, or one of my Smith & Wessons as I believe it would require a cylinder replacement.

Good shooting with a great cartridge.

skeettx
12-06-2014, 07:41 PM
Awesome report and pictures
I have shot 10 grains of Unique and a 255 Cast
in my Ruger BH for decades. Quite a handful
but deadly
Thank you
Mike

p.s. Elmer Keith would be proud of you :)

Cowpoke
12-06-2014, 07:51 PM
Nice shootin Wolfer!

Whose the maker of that chest carry rig you have there?

runfiverun
12-06-2014, 10:33 PM
I see the pic and it looks like you still have some lube left in the groove.:lol:

nice performance though, it looks like just the nose mushed up.

jmort
12-06-2014, 10:41 PM
"Whose the maker of that chest carry rig you have there?"

I would like to know as well.

DougGuy
12-06-2014, 10:44 PM
Good shooting, GREAT boolit performance, and good eating! Very nice day in the woods for you sir...

smoked turkey
12-06-2014, 11:06 PM
Congratulations on a nice fat southern MO doe taken with a single action revolver. I haven't gotten the nerve yet to only take a handgun for my annual whitetail hunt. However as with a lot of other things that I now do because of this great forum, and folks like you, I probably will sometime.

FlatTop45LC
12-07-2014, 12:07 AM

I killed two does with that load of Unique in my Flat Top last year.

Wolfer
12-07-2014, 12:07 AM
I'm the maker of the chest rig. I saw a picture of one Brian Pierce was wearing in Rifle or handloader.
its went thru a couple modifications and will probably see some more.
When woods walking I generally wear a holster. Cross draw in the winter, strong side in the summer.
when sitting on the ground or in my climber belt holsters are unhandy. When actually hunting I don't carry a pack. Everything is in my pockets. Worn on the outside a holster limits my access to my pockets. Worn under my coat limits my access to the gun. This works pretty good for me.

I used to have a strap to go around my waist to keep it from sliding around. I no longer use it, when I'm walking it will naturally go to directly under my arm. It's still quite accessible but once I'm on stand I slide it around to lay on my chest. In the thickets I hunt deer are often too close when I see them to allow much movement.

Smoked turkey
I nearly always carry a rifle. It's just that if an opportunity presents itself I'll reach for the pistol.

Wolfer
12-07-2014, 12:12 AM
R5R
My lube is beeswax and corona wound salve. It's a light tan in color. That's blood in the lube groove.

Cowpoke
12-07-2014, 08:48 AM
I'm the maker of the chest rig.

Looks great, I like it!

Thumbcocker
12-07-2014, 08:59 AM
Nice long head.

Silvercreek Farmer
12-07-2014, 12:10 PM
Nice hunt!

hornady308
12-08-2014, 09:07 AM
I like your help. It's good to have friends.

44man
12-08-2014, 12:56 PM
Good that you found her but I much prefer an exit hole no matter the distance of deer it goes through. Good choice for a HP with that low velocity but maybe a tad less HP would be better.
I will not hunt with can loads myself. Leaves out Unique. I am a 296 man with heavier boolits.
Looks like a Ruger in the holster. Try a 335 gr LBT with 21.5 gr of 296.
But you still did good. Wrong choice of angles but I have done that too. Hate a boolit through guts.

John Allen
12-08-2014, 01:03 PM
Nothing like a pooch to find them for you.

nagantguy
12-08-2014, 01:08 PM
Real nice recovered slug love it when they go less than 100 yards.

44man
12-08-2014, 01:14 PM
Nothing like a pooch to find them for you.
yep, this is mine.123947 She can find a pile of poop in the yard! :bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

nekshot
12-08-2014, 10:21 PM
congrats Wolfer! Nice to see you have to wear the vegeterian label this summer! I am waiting for muzzle loader season to go again. Kinda got burned out hunting buck, I guess I'm getting old!

nekshot
12-08-2014, 10:23 PM
congrats Wolfer! Nice to see you have to wear the vegeterian label this summer! I am waiting for muzzle loader season to go again. Kinda got burned out hunting buck, I guess I'm getting old!
Darn these meds!!!! I meant you "won't" have to be a vegeteran this summer!! You gonna make a honey dip for the meat?

lawdog941
12-08-2014, 10:38 PM
Nice shootin! Did you have your iron out or have to a quickdraw with it?

Wolfer
12-09-2014, 12:27 AM
Nekshot
No honey dip, I just grind it with 20% pork sausage. Makes an awful good cheeseburger.

Lawdog
I had been watching these deer up in the brush for several minutes but too thick to get a shot. It appeared they might be working my way. I had scrunched around until my pistol was under my arm. I thought while I had the chance I would move it to a better position in case they got close enough.
With my rifle laying across my knee I just scooted the pistol around in time to see this one cross a small window 30 yds out. She stopped but I could no longer see her. Since I already had the pistol in hand I just eased it out. She took a couple more steps which give me the shot I took.
Given a choice I like to shoot quartering to me deer at the point of the shoulder but there was a tree in the way.
I think she heard the hammer cock, she was looking at me hard and I felt it was shoot now or forever hold my peace. I like the smell of powder smoke.

Tom_in_AZ
12-09-2014, 01:01 AM
Very cool, congrats! Looks like your helper had fun too!

44man
12-09-2014, 09:30 AM
Crazy how their hearing is. Had a few hear the gun cock at 40 yards once, BFR but lately it has become very quiet and even deer at 10 yards don't hear it.
I don't like a colt action for hunting with all the clicks. My old flat top made a lot of noise.

FlatTop45LC
12-09-2014, 09:41 AM
Crazy how their hearing is. Had a few hear the gun cock at 40 yards once, BFR but lately it has become very quiet and even deer at 10 yards don't hear it.
I don't like a colt action for hunting with all the clicks. My old flat top made a lot of noise.
That was one of the deciding factors of me selling the Old Model BH 41 mag I had. Shot two deer with it and both were at full alert after cocking the hammer.

Wolfer
12-09-2014, 11:46 AM
I've had some close encounters. Would be measured in feet instead of yds. In those instances I pull the trigger, cock the hammer and let it down on the trigger. Only sound is the bolt when it drops into the cylinder.
I had a coyote hear that bolt stop at about 10 yds once. He came to attention but it was too late, the package was already in the mail.

This new vaquero is pretty quiet as far as SAs go but on a still day game can still pick it up.
This time I didn't do the trigger pull first trick, probably should have.

44man
12-09-2014, 11:59 AM
Ever watch TV hunts where the guy snaps off the safety on his rifle? Makes me jump on the couch!
You can make all kinds of noise and as long as it is natural deer don't care. Even breaking branches from your tree will not alert them but the wrong sound can be heard for a long way.
Long ago in PA I had a tree that was in a good spot but every time I got there, deer were feeding near it. I spooked them and never seen any after.
One morning as I got close I started banging the chain on the board, stand was plywood with a chain binder. All the way up the cedar I kept banging the board, got it in, kept making noise until I was in with bow in hand. wasn't 10 minutes and a buck walked under me to see what the racket was. He was tasty!
Once in Ohio I found an apple tree and a huge scrape. Not good trees around but I left my bow on the ground and climbed a pine to see if I could get a stand in it. I was snapping branches and waving in the wind, The apple tree was right behind me, 10 yards or so. I looked down to see a deer eating apples at the tree. I was a tornado up there and it did not affect the deer at all.
I am crazy, walk like a deer and make noise like a deer, never sneak like a cat. I can make deer settle and feed all around me. I stamp my foot at deer and repeat the motions they make at me.
You can't hide from them, they know every stick and stump where they live. Best to become another deer.
Metallic sound is a big NO, NO.
I bought a nice cold weather coat from cabela's for late archery. Stinking thing had nylon sleeve liners. I could not extend my arm without spooking them. I use it to snow blow now.

DougGuy
12-09-2014, 12:06 PM
I more often than not bring my Ruger to full cock when I am sitting on stand and I park my left hand on it so the hammer is blocked from the frame by the web of the hand just in front of the thumb. Of course I wouldn't travel in the woods with it at full cock, transfer bar or not!

A nylon flap holster on a GI web belt worn cross draw suits me for carry, it stays out of the way sitting and getting in and out of a vehicle.

I tried to quietly cock a Vaquero inside the holster once by pulling the trigger before I drew the gun fully from the holster, but the big bodied 8pt or was it a 10pt heard it at 20 feet away, he was coming up a steep ravine and I waited until he was on the other side of a huge oak to cock the gun and draw, I swung around and aimed the gun where he would be coming from behind the tree, and when he did, he was at full attention, facing me, walked right in front of the sights and stopped...

This Vaquero had -just- come back from Ruger, it had been shooting 10" ~ 12" to the left and 3" ~ 4" low so I asked them to rebarrel it which they CLAIMED they did. It had come back on Friday before opening Monday and I had no time to sight it in, I took their word for it being fixed. At the sound of the shot, the big buck wheeled and high tailed it out of the woods he was running so hard he probably cleared the county line before he slowed down. I was pissed. I left the woods and set up a 25yd target, yep, same 10" left and 4" low, it was like they never even touched it. That gun laid disassembled in a box forgotten for the next 17yrs and I finally dug it out and sent it in again with a nice long letter and a sob story about the wallhanger that got away, and they fixed it this time, they even fitted a birdshead grip frame and a SBH hammer on there and polished it to a high gloss all on their dime..

Sorry Wolfer, not trying to steer the thread but I couldn't leave off what happened after the buck was standing there looking at me...

44man
12-09-2014, 12:15 PM
I've had some close encounters. Would be measured in feet instead of yds. In those instances I pull the trigger, cock the hammer and let it down on the trigger. Only sound is the bolt when it drops into the cylinder.
I had a coyote hear that bolt stop at about 10 yds once. He came to attention but it was too late, the package was already in the mail.

This new vaquero is pretty quiet as far as SAs go but on a still day game can still pick it up.
This time I didn't do the trigger pull first trick, probably should have.
Good thing to do but I have had no trouble lately. I cock very slow and can't hear the bolt drop into place. It is kind of surprising how quiet the guns are. Rugers and BFR's only have the cylinder bolt to make noise, no safety notch or half cock contraptions.

nekshot
12-09-2014, 01:49 PM
After a couple rugers and a dan wesson I found this taurus about 28 years ago that with a thumb in the cylinder and hold back the trigger till hammer is cocked it makes no noise and thats why it is still with me for hunting plus its as accurate as any of the ones I had.

Wolfer
12-09-2014, 07:39 PM
I've found it's difficult to walk quiet enough that a deer can't hear you. We have a lot of turkey in the area and I've often seen deer and turkey together.

Ive learned to walk thru the leaves just like a turkey. Several times I've had gobblers come to me without ever making a call.

When deer hunting I walk thru the woods just like a turkey. If the leaves are dry and noisy I take a couple slow steps and scratch, take a couple more and scratch.
I used to carry a mouth call and make a few soft yelps now and again.
I haven't been doing this the last few years, if I understand the regs right this may be illegal. You could in theory be turkey hunting but it would take a pretty hard core agent to write you up on it.

I don't try to be silent just quiet and not sound like a human.

44man
12-10-2014, 12:29 PM
I've found it's difficult to walk quiet enough that a deer can't hear you. We have a lot of turkey in the area and I've often seen deer and turkey together.

Ive learned to walk thru the leaves just like a turkey. Several times I've had gobblers come to me without ever making a call.

When deer hunting I walk thru the woods just like a turkey. If the leaves are dry and noisy I take a couple slow steps and scratch, take a couple more and scratch.
I used to carry a mouth call and make a few soft yelps now and again.
I haven't been doing this the last few years, if I understand the regs right this may be illegal. You could in theory be turkey hunting but it would take a pretty hard core agent to write you up on it.

I don't try to be silent just quiet and not sound like a human.
There you have it. Deer make noise and turkeys make even more. I never thought of acting like a turkey but what a great idea. But I can't use a mouth call, stinking false teeth. the vibrations drive me nuts. But you can be a squirrel too.
Deer do not fear fox either and we watched fox jumping at deer for play. Fox urine will pull a buck and he will lick it. But NO skunk scent, they hate it.
Real doe in heat estrus urine is always best, I bought mine from Nacina in Ohio. Dribble on a trail to you and even doe will follow. The best ever was the Deer Coy sold for the hand warmers. That stuff was amazing and I had bucks licking it and following before I was even in my stand with my bow. Stuff from Wall Mart is a waste of money.
I would squirt some Deer Coy in a scrape and watch a herd of doe walk by, about 50 to 80 yards until they got downwind, they ran to the scrape and went nuts for a long time, then left. Then a big buck came from the other direction and also went nuts. I wish we still had the stuff.
it was for the Jon-e hand warmers but did not work good on the warmers because they went out if set out. No other scent ever worked like it did.
The buck scent stuff sold today is 100% junk.

Thumbcocker
12-10-2014, 01:59 PM
I have noticed that around here handgun shots don't seem to spook deer like shotguns and muzzle loaders. I got the second deer in my avatar because she stood looking at me after I shot the first one. I have hit deer with the .44 and they weren't spooked and came walking on down the trail.

44man
12-10-2014, 04:45 PM
Gunfire does not scare deer and if you hear a shot and expect deer will come to you, get over it.
I shot a huge doe with a shotgun, dropped her and the herd she was in bedded next to her. I shot many deer and the rest did not leave. Too many I shot came to me.

Wolfer
12-10-2014, 07:09 PM
I have noticed that around here handgun shots don't seem to spook deer like shotguns and muzzle loaders. I got the second deer in my avatar because she stood looking at me after I shot the first one. I have hit deer with the .44 and they weren't spooked and came walking on down the trail.

Ive noticed the same thing. Several times I've shot one deer and the rest just stand there looking around.
Ive always thought it was because I'm shooting subsonic, maybe not.
Like 44 man said, I've often been watching deer when someone would shoot within a few hundred yds. They'll barely flick an ear. Rifle shots up close tend to have a different effect on them.

TXGunNut
12-11-2014, 11:58 AM

Had that happen with a rifle too. Shot a hog on one sendero and had a deer watching me from another sendero for a few seconds after the shot.

44man
12-11-2014, 12:19 PM
If you miss and hit close to them, they will bolt as will a sonic boom from a bullet close but I have not seen the gun report scare any. Hit the deer and it runs, the others will also run but if you drop the deer others can still stand around. I shot many deer and then another would come in.
I shot two on opening day and two on Thanksgiving, minutes apart. The shots had no affect.

44man
12-11-2014, 12:31 PM
I have been on my range, shooting up a storm and had a herd walk by. Once I got done at 100 and wanted to shoot 200. Walked back and busted a herd right behind the 200 yard bench, they were there for all the 100 yard shots.
See a fox from your deer stand and shoot it, does not affect deer coming.
How about a funny one. Carol made chile and I stuffed myself. Up in a stand had a gas attack! Deer walked by close and bedded just out of range. I made the woods sing! :bigsmyl2: thought I broke the stand but the deer never even looked. I got even more busy and one deer would get up to feed, lay down as another got up to nibble. Not once did they look my way and the breeze was blowing to them on top of it all.
I will not talk about racing stripes!

Ballistics in Scotland
12-12-2014, 12:17 AM
lots

You make a good point here. It might be excitement, but lots of people never think to stop and listen when a deer runs, hard hit. You can't hear a thing when you're running.

Sounds like a good place to have a house.