PDA

View Full Version : Smelting Pipe system

standles
02-14-2008, 11:08 PM
Ok I know the title is a bit screwy but I had to.

I saw around here once a description of a pipe on an incline with a pipe burner down the inside of the pipe. Raw range lead went in the top end and molten lead came out the bottom into a pot while the crud was captured in a screen on the end. A continuous feed type system

Did I describe it correctly?

Does anyone have a picture or drawings I can build off of?

I have 1500# of range lead to relcaim and I did not want to do that in small pot increments. The continuous feed sounded good. I am hoping to use this as a rough melt/clean and then can get it real clean in the captuer pot.

Steven

standles
02-15-2008, 07:33 PM
OK so maybe it was the alzhiemers kicking in I guess :)

Now where did I leave my keyboard.

:roll:

Steven

Trez Hensley
02-15-2008, 10:25 PM
I'm not sure in what section it was in but I also saw it here. I'll try to find it.

hammerhead357
02-15-2008, 10:35 PM
I know I saw the description somewhere here but can't find it now either. Standles if you lived close to me I would melt the range lead for you I have a furnace that holds 1000 lbs of lino but I doubt that you are anywhere close to me.....Wes

Trez Hensley
02-15-2008, 10:36 PM
Found it.

Here is the post by Ex blaster: It appeared in the classics and stickies at:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=18149&page=3

"To remove jackets and other "stuff" from range lead easily use a long piece of large diameter black iron pipe. Make a long burner out of automotive brake tube drill proper size holes for propane or N.G. about every 1/2 inch along the brake tube and crimp one end. Insert tube burner into iron pipe and secure it .you will need an adapter to hook to a regulator and enough flexible hose to connect the regulator to the tube burner. Attach 12 inches of screening to the end of the iron pipe support the pipe on metal stands with about 2 inches of drop per foot to let the lead and jacket material flow down the pipe to the screened end. the melted lead will pass through the screening and the trash will drop off the end of the screen.
I hope this makes scence to you all it will work . I have seen it in operation and it was handling several tons of material an 8 hour day."
Exblaster

standles
02-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Trez..

Thanks for the find. I really appreciate it.

When I get this thing rigged I will post some pics and plans for it.

I want to get this stuff melted down before Summer gets here in FL.

Heck we are having 70 deg days now.

Steven

blysmelter
02-16-2008, 11:20 AM
What will be "proper sized holes"? And guess this will use lots of LPG?

Trez Hensley
02-16-2008, 01:32 PM
You might want to contact exblaster for more info.
Here's his public info page:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?u=2326

Bret4207
02-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Sounds interesting. Love to see some pics!

miestro_jerry
02-17-2008, 05:10 PM
As that I do blacksmithing with propane and some foundry work, many of my burners are hand built.

Here is one that I have up on my webpage, it's from a friend in Alaska:

http://anvilsandinkstudios.com/burner.html

You can get pretty much everything at the local hardware stores these days, you mau have to go to Lowes or Home Depot for some items, or a welding store.

Hope this helps,

Jerry