PDA

View Full Version : can my rifle be re-chambered?

mozeppa
12-06-2014, 03:28 AM
this is my rifle (well...its one EXACTLY like in this web picture.)

its a savage anchutz model 64 target rifle chambered in 22 caliber long rifle rimfire.
i bought it new in 1971 and shot it all thru high school on the R.O.T.C. rifle team (i was captain.:smile:)

and it shot great.

can this be re-chambered to 22 hornet?
can the bolt face be modified to be centerfire?

is the someone here that can do this ?

Blackwater
12-06-2014, 10:23 AM
It would be a major sin to do that to such a fine rifle, but sin tends to dominate our world today, so ....
The Hornet is too long for that action, but if you're determined to do this, I think you'd be much better served by going to one of the shortened Hornet wildcats like the .22 Squirrel, but then you just don't have enough "extra" to make it really worth while. My advice, if you're looking for it, is to just go buy a Hornet. It'll be cheaper in the long run, and more satisfactory, especially since you'd wind up with BOTH rifles instead of just one rather expensive experiment. converting bolts from rim to center fire is a very major operation and isn't to be done by very many people who call themselves "gunsmiths" these days, but only by the very best, and they don't work cheap and they take time because they're always so heavily back logged. Also, I don't know whether the M-64's recoil lugs are quite large enough to handle the pressures you are likely to get into when working up loads and one winds up being a bit higher than anticipated, so there's yet another reason not to do it. I've done enough of these "just wanna' see what happens" type projects that I know whereof I speak when I tell you that not all ideas wind up working out quite like we originally intend for them to. Experience is always the best teacher.

mozeppa
12-06-2014, 10:27 AM
thanks BW,

that ends the thought.

NoAngel
12-06-2014, 11:57 AM
Sell it and buy what you want. Less head ache.

KCSO
12-06-2014, 12:45 PM
No no no

W.R.Buchanan
12-06-2014, 04:02 PM
You could rechamber it to .22 RF Magnum, but then you'd have to single load it.

But like others have said, you would be committing a major sin.

That gun is a serious Target Rifle, and it will never wear out no matter how much it is shot. It will be a viable target rifle for as long as there is a use for Target Rifles.

I would be happy that I even owned it, and the fact that you have owned it since 1971 should elevate that gun's status to "Heirloom Possession."

I have a Mauser ES340B which I purchased in 1968. It is the only gun I own I have never considered selling.

But when I get to where I can no longer shoot, I will eventually sell it, but it will be the last gun I sell.

I considered re chambering it to .22 RF Mag, once, but I didn't go thru with it. Good thing too as the gun is now worth about $900. I paid $50 for it in 1968.

Your gun would be a devastating Rimfire Silhouette gun.

Randy