PDA

View Full Version : Remington recalls millions of 700 today

s.billy
12-05-2014, 09:28 PM
Remington has agreed to recall every 700 they have made since the later 1960's. They have not really said what exactly they are doing. I just wanted to let everyone know.

Skipper
12-05-2014, 09:34 PM
Check Remington's recall page:

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-resources/safety-center.aspx

Remington Arms Company, LLC (“Remington”) is voluntarily recalling Remington Model 700™ and Model Seven™ rifles with X-Mark Pro® (“XMP®”) triggers, manufactured from May 1, 2006 to April 9, 2014

Hickok
12-05-2014, 10:00 PM
They are getting any of my Model 700's back. If Remington wants to do something, send me Timney triggers for each of my rifles, not some lawyer safe junk trigger.

This new, latest trigger they came out with was supposed to be "improved" over the original Model 700 trigger. Well they didn't get it right this time either, so what are they going to put on the rifles as a "repair", a trigger with a 6 pound pull weight and 1/2 inch of travel?

Beagle333
12-05-2014, 10:06 PM
It's a gun. It ain't s'posed to be safe. That's why we don't point em at each other. :roll:

Omega
12-05-2014, 10:09 PM
Unless this is a new recall, it has been out for months. I have already sent mine in and received it back with no noticeable difference.

leeggen
12-05-2014, 10:29 PM
yes sir I am glad I bought mine back in the early 90's.
CD

RickinTN
12-05-2014, 11:24 PM
http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-resources/safety-center/safety-warning-recall-notice-Remington-model700-modelseven.aspx

As I read it it only affects rifles manufactured after a certain date in 2006 and those rifles have the X-mark pro trigger, not the original Walker trigger. In my opinion the original Walker trigger is the best factory trigger ever offered. If they did recall the earlier rifles they won't get mine to change!
Rick

wlc
12-05-2014, 11:28 PM
Well, even if mine were new enough for the recall they wouldn't be getting them back. I'd buy my own replacement triggers first before letting them give me a lawyer trigger. All of my 700's and M-7 were made between 83 and 88. Bought all of em new but one.

s.billy
12-05-2014, 11:32 PM
I would agree about sending it in for the new x-mark trigger. I've not been impressed with it. http://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/remington-700-massive-fix-countrys-most-popular-gun-n262721

starmac
12-05-2014, 11:38 PM
The one in the news states that they are recalling all 700's ever built since the 40's iirc. And this is a new recall, I don't think it affects the xmark trigger ones.

s.billy
12-05-2014, 11:41 PM
No it doesn't include the x trigger they are replacing with the x trigger

rking22
12-06-2014, 12:09 AM
Got several , and they will never go back to Rem for them to "mess with". Like RickinTN, I am perfectly happy with my Walker triggers. If idiots don't mess with them they are just fine. If idiots mess with ANYTHING bad things can happen!

Frank46
12-06-2014, 01:05 AM
I've a sendero in 308 I bought some years back. Don't use it for hunting just paper punching. Rifle has about 1300 rounds through it. Never had a problem with the trigger same for my 40x single shot also in 308. Standard trigger on both rifles except I do not have the really sub ounce trigger on the 40x. I'm waiting and will see how this pans out as you know there are gonna be oerwhelmed when these rifles start coming back in. And they should pay the shipping both ways. Frank

starmac
12-06-2014, 01:58 AM
I didn't think the article states what they will be replacing it with, it does mention walkers fix that he wanted to do before they starte producing them to start with. It also mentions they decided not too, because of the nickle per rifle extra it would cost in those days, but now is much more expensive, of course their has been several owners in between.

imashooter2
12-06-2014, 02:34 AM
So... What do you suppose the turn around time is going to be after the first hundred thousand or so rifles hit the shop?

trapper9260
12-06-2014, 06:26 AM
They did not say but that kind of trigger gose back in the late 90's It is all because of what they use to lube it and and then kind of like jell up.I have a 700 and ask my gun smith about it and told him when I got it and ask if he could look at t and then I went home and got it and brought it in and he look at it and then took the stock off and seen what the problem was is that that build up of lube so I had him clean the gun and then.no more problems.It is the same trigger system that is stated here and for the full take down of the gun and clean the bolt that had the build up and all he said t would of not been long that I would of had the problem that Rem had the recall on it.He dose not know why they had put that kind of a trigger on the gun compare to what they put on there pumps.i am good to go now.

5 called flyers
12-06-2014, 09:37 PM
My brother in law's hunting buddy had his 700 pointed in a safe direction when he closed the bolt. That is if you consider my brother in law's truck a safe direction. Put one through his door while it was open.
I was bench shooting and my 700 mountain rifle discharged as I closed the bolt.
I had always been a fan of Remington. A 721, 1100, 870 all served me well. I'm less so nowadays with the way this was handled by them.

doctorggg
12-06-2014, 10:13 PM
I have one that has fired about 3x upon closing the bolt. Fortunately it wasn't loaded either time. I'm not sure if I will purchase a Timney trigger or send it back for factory work. I may never see it for months and then wind up buying the Timney anyway. I hate lawyer triggers.

andremajic
12-06-2014, 10:18 PM
Use brake cleaner and spray your trigger until there's no oil left inside it. Add graphite powder. Problem solved.

starmac
12-06-2014, 10:49 PM
Use brake cleaner and spray your trigger until there's no oil left inside it. Add graphite powder. Problem solved.

Sounds more like kicking the can down the road, kind of like remington did for how many years, and hundred of thousands in lawsuits. Why not fix the problem.

rbertalotto
12-07-2014, 12:08 AM
Remington Arms Company, LLC (“Remington”) is voluntarily recalling Remington Model 700™ and Model Seven™ rifles with X-Mark Pro® (“XMP®”) triggers, manufactured from May 1, 2006 to April 9, 2014.

Millions? Remington wishes they sold millions in 8 years........

dragon813gt
12-07-2014, 12:13 AM
That is a previous recall.

M-Tecs
12-07-2014, 01:09 AM
I have a 721 from 1951, two mid 70's 700's, six from the mid 80's, three XP100R's and four 700ML's. I have also modified some military actions and built some actions from scratch using the Remington-Walker triggers. They all use the trigger in question. Never had an issue with any and none of them are going back.

The only safety induced firing of a rifle I have ever experienced happened last year. I was hunting with a Savage 10 ML muzzleloader in freezing rain. I pushed the safety to fire and pulled the trigger. Nothing happened so tried the safety and firing a second time with the same results. When I went to put the safety back on it fired. It was pointed in a safe direction (ground) but this is a smokeless muzzleloader using 68 grains of IMR 4198 with a 300 grain bullet. Split my thumb nail and took the skin of the knuckle.

On shotguns I have had a 1/2 dozen or more. The Browning Superposed and the SKB clones (had both) would fire when closed after they got dirty. Shooting trap this was every 3,000 to 4,000 rounds. Started cleaning them at 2,000 and never had a problem after that.

Anyone that doesn't want their Remington-Walker triggers can sent them to me and I will put them to good use.

Hickok
12-07-2014, 08:09 AM
Use brake cleaner and spray your trigger until there's no oil left inside it. Add graphite powder. Problem solved.Exactly. Had a fellow bring a 700 to me that dropped the firing pin when you closed the bolt. Took the action out of the stock, hosed the trigger assembly with a can of starting fluid, and lightly lubricated, problem solved.

Seems his method of cleaning for years was a spray down with WD40 in every nook and cranny. Darn stuff turned to gum.

I realize the above is not the cause for everyone's problems with the triggers.

I own several of the older older 700's with the Walker designed trigger, my favorite trigger type, easily adjusted when you know how. But I have two newer 700's with outside adjustable trigger, (Allen wrench), and this trigger is a step backwards. Besides not being able to adjust down under 3 1/2 to 4 pounds, the Allen screw protrudes down and it irritating to me as it feels like a thorn sticking out on the smooth surface of the trigger.

I don't even want to get started on the way Remington has beveled or chamferred the firing pin hole in the bolt on these two newer rifles. When you fire a round, the primer flows into the bevel and cups out like dangerous overload. Firing pin protrusion on every round fired, factory ammo and light reloads. This is supposed to be a safety precaution (according to Remington) as it supposedly makes the primer cup thicker at the protrusion. !!!! ??????

A fix for a problem that never existed.

I have always favored the 700 Remington over all other rifles as my favorite, but they are slowly becoming "kit rifles" or fixer uppers in my opinion.

M-Tecs
12-07-2014, 12:28 PM
Seems his method of cleaning for years was a spray down with WD40 in every nook and cranny. Darn stuff turned to gum.

Very common method with the lots of folks. Through the years I have lost count of how many gummed up malfunctioning firearms I have cleaned. Most if not all just sprayed WD40 and thought they were good to go. The worst have been trigger groups on shotguns. Years of WD40, burnt shotgun powder and dust buildup turns to tar after a while. Next is the buildup inside the bolts around the firing pins on semi-auto and pump rifles and shotguns.

Good discussion on the issues with the Remington trigger http://www.rifflawfirm.com/areas/pdf/remington4.pdf

M-Tecs
12-07-2014, 01:21 PM
PRODUCTS: Remington Arms Company, LLC (“Remington”) is voluntarily recalling Remington Model 700™ and Model Seven™ rifles with X-Mark Pro® (“XMP®”) triggers, manufactured from May 1, 2006 to April 9, 2014.

Different recall. This is the new one http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/massive-785-million-recall-for-popular-us-gun/ar-BBgoPPI

merlin101
12-07-2014, 01:56 PM
I've got a 700 that's subject to the recall but don't know what I'll do.
I did happen to notice this while reading that article
" Among the deaths was nine-year-old Gus Barber of Montana, killed during a family hunting trip in 2000 when his mother switched off the safety on her Remington 700 rifle and the gun went off."
I guess she never thought about keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. Why would anybody click off the safety with the muzzle pointed at another person?

Idz
12-07-2014, 02:06 PM
I don't think internet 'news' is reliable info. You can just look at the Remington site. http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-resources/safety-center.aspx

M-Tecs
12-07-2014, 02:13 PM
AP and Washington Post are hardly "internet news"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/remington-to-replace-triggers-on-popular-rifles/2014/12/06/99edc466-7d76-11e4-8241-8cc0a3670239_story.html

By Associated Press December 6 at 3:26 PM KANSAS CITY, Mo. — U.S. gunmaker Remington Arms Co. and plaintiffs in two class-action lawsuits formalized a settlement agreement this week under which the company will replace the triggers on millions of guns, including its most popular bolt-action rifles.

The settlement was late breaking news on Friday. I will be very surprised if the Remington site isn't updated next week.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/massive-785-million-recall-for-popular-us-gun/ar-BBgoPPI

But the CNBC investigation revealed that even before the gun went on the market, Walker himself had discovered a potential problem with the trigger he designed. In a 1946 memo, he warned of a "theoretical unsafe condition" involving the gun's safety—the mechanism that's supposed to keep the rifle from firing accidentally.

Subsequent memos during the testing process noted guns could be made to fire simply by switching off the safety or operating the bolt. "This situation can be very dangerous from a safety and functional point of view," said a 1947 inspection report .

http://fm.cnbc.com/applications/cnbc.com/resources/editorialfiles/2012/05/03/2226704_Rem_Doc_03.pdf

Still wouldn't be returning mine. I will keep them clean and I may modify them in the future to the Walker recommend fix.

http://www.rifflawfirm.com/areas/pdf/remington4.pdf

Trigger repair---
The Remington-Walker can be made into a solid trigger system without using the connector by
replacing the trigger and connector by an aftermarket or shop-made trigger, OR, the connector can be
epoxied to the body of the trigger as long as one thing is done very carefully; The rear of the connector
has to be ground square after the epoxy sets, BUT the actual disengaging corner of the connector has to
be left in its' original position relative to the center line of the trigger pivot pin. It takes a precision
grinder and fixture to do it right. Do it wrong and the trigger is even more unpredictable and could
become very dangerous. Without grinding the rear of the connector square, the sear hitting the angle
will soon break the epoxy bond and the trigger is worse than before.

dragon813gt
12-07-2014, 03:58 PM
I've got a 700 that's subject to the recall but don't know what I'll do.
I did happen to notice this while reading that article
" Among the deaths was nine-year-old Gus Barber of Montana, killed during a family hunting trip in 2000 when his mother switched off the safety on her Remington 700 rifle and the gun went off."
I guess she never thought about keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. Why would anybody click off the safety with the muzzle pointed at another person?
If that's the case I'm thinking of the son was on the other side of a trailer. The bullet went through the dwelling and killed her son. Before anyone gets on her remember she killed her own son. That is one hell of a burden to live the rest of your life w/.

cwheel
12-07-2014, 05:41 PM
Wonder if they are going to do anything for those of us who changed triggers before the recall ?? I have 3 700's, all now have Timney triggers. It's a sure thing I'm not going to move backwards and send them in for the recall. Think I have between $300-400 bucks into changing these, receipts are long gone. The good news is they all have nice predictable 2 1/2 lb. triggers that are safe. I suspect there are hundreds of thousands of these that already have been changed like mine to fix this problem, wonder if they will try to address this. Glad I did the change, preventing a AD that hurts or kills someone is priceless.

andremajic
12-07-2014, 06:06 PM
Wonder if they are going to do anything for those of us who changed triggers before the recall ?? I have 3 700's, all now have Timney triggers. It's a sure thing I'm not going to move backwards and send them in for the recall. Think I have between $300-400 bucks into changing these, receipts are long gone. The good news is they all have nice predictable 2 1/2 lb. triggers that are safe. I suspect there are hundreds of thousands of these that already have been changed like mine to fix this problem, wonder if they will try to address this. Glad I did the change, preventing a AD that hurts or kills someone is priceless.

Enter your S/N on the recall website. I did and after calling and getting the Return authorization, they emailed me a shipping label and I mailed just the trigger to them. I explained that I had taken off the trigger after buying the rifle, and it had a new one on, and they still were willing to take it in to fix it.

Doesn't make much sense to mail the entire rifle if the trigger is already detached, does it? That's what I asked them, and they agreed with me.

YMMV.

Andy

cwheel
12-07-2014, 07:45 PM
In my case I donated the Remington take off's to a local gunsmith years ago, not still around, and after installing Timney's, why would I want their replacement or repaired trigger assembly ?? Still can't help but think some of the reason I changed them was the danger of the AD's of their OEM product. Of the 3 rifles I have, 2 would drop the firing pin releasing the safety every once and awhile even after a good cleaning. For me, lucky the first was at a range pointed in a safe direction, no harm done. Second shot was a repeat, stopped using the rifle.

ebner glocken
12-10-2014, 05:43 AM
Yes, I have some that meet the recall but they shant get mine. The first thing I do when buying a used gun (or new for that matter) is take it down and clean it throughly, then relube it. Going off when they're not supposed to has been a nonissue for me. All of them are set @ 2.5# and the only way I have made them "accidently" go ff was to put pressure on the trigger while taking the safety off.

Ebner

nekshot
12-12-2014, 05:44 PM
I have been tempted to put the aftermarket 3 position swing safety on mine, not for me but for my kids and their kids. I am not sending anything back.