PDA

View Full Version : remington rollingblock creedmoor rear sight

fifty4
12-05-2014, 03:31 PM
have a rem RB. the rear sight was missing but the dovetail is almost 1 3/4 inches long , is this right or has it been cut for some rear sight from long ago . the only markings on the rifle are 45/70 creedmoor, no numbers no marks. it dose have the co. on the tang.

Chill Wills
12-05-2014, 05:38 PM
A little more info is needed.

Is it a Remington? Sporting stock?

Repo- could be anything.
------------------------------------------

Now- the dovetail: is the rear barrel sight the one in question? The rear tang sight would not be any size dovetail ....if I understand what you are describing. The rear tang would use two screw holes.

An inch-seven fifty, 1.75" milled out of anything is large for a rifle dovetail. 3/8" or .450" or some such is common.

Picture maybe?

sharpsguy
12-05-2014, 05:54 PM
Might be the dovetail for a Rough and Ready rear barrel sight. More information would help.

JMtoolman
12-05-2014, 06:16 PM
The dovetail is only a couple of inches from the breech, at least it was on the one I used to own. I have an original sight for this long dovetail, but it has been badly rusted and then someone reblued it. I will see if I can find it if you are interested. Best regards, the toolman.

fifty4
12-05-2014, 06:35 PM
it is an original creedmoor, and yes the barrel not the tang, I bought this rifle with no sights . but I have never seen a dovetail cut this big . the rough n ready sight I think is held on with screws, im not even shore what # mod.it is PS im not very good with computers I do horses and mules 54

fifty4
12-05-2014, 06:42 PM
yes, I am interested ,I would like to bring the rifle back to its old self. it seems strange to me that the rear sight was put so far up the barrel.

Chill Wills
12-05-2014, 08:01 PM
At the risk of sounding like an expert, which I am not! A Creedmoor would not come from Remington with any kind of barrel sight. SN run some where about C 54,080 to C 54,125 on the first rifles put out. Barrels were long and somewhat thin 34" or not (on all). The stock is PG, straight with a bit of a high comb. Single trigger and <10lbs
Can you tell the chambering? Pictures are helpful.
A real Creedmoor would not be common but they are somewhere and yours might be one..

fifty4
12-05-2014, 10:27 PM
the stock looks normal till you get to the last 4 or 5 inches then it drops down about 1 inch. I have not removed the rear stock but have the front . the only writing on it besides the tang (Remington and dates) is on the barrel it reads 45/70 creedmoor. I wish I could give more info and I don't have a clue how to send photo.half round half octagon 26 inch barrel in and around 10 pounds.

.22-10-45
12-06-2014, 12:11 AM
" A Creedmoor would not come from Remington with any kind of barrel sight" Once again..any kind of blanket statement stating an absolute fact when it comes to either firearms..or handloading in my experience will be proven wrong time and again. I have an original Remington rolling block Mid-Range with a very heavy 28" 1/2 oct. chambered in .44-77 that does in fact have just such a long dovetail and is equiped with the so called rough & ready rear sight...as well as windage adjustable spirit level front & Mid-Range vernier tang sight. The bottom flat of brl. and front L.H. side of frame are stamped with British proofs! This is an early 3 dig. rifle. Remember in those long gone glorious days firearm manufacturers would build a customer just about anything you could ask.

fifty4
12-06-2014, 03:06 PM
I am not trying to pull the wool over your eyes, just trying to tell all I know about this rifle, I am measuring muzzle to the action,so in total it is 28. it may have had another barrel put on it . I can only tell you what I know sorry. I just want to get back the way it was and shoot it . thank you 54

Chill Wills
12-06-2014, 08:27 PM
" A Creedmoor would not come from Remington with any kind of barrel sight" Once again..any kind of blanket statement stating an absolute fact when it comes to either firearms..or handloading in my experience will be proven wrong time and again. I have an original Remington rolling block Mid-Range with a very heavy 28" 1/2 oct. chambered in .44-77 that does in fact have just such a long dovetail and is equiped with the so called rough & ready rear sight...as well as windage adjustable spirit level front & Mid-Range vernier tang sight. The bottom flat of brl. and front L.H. side of frame are stamped with British proofs! This is an early 3 dig. rifle. Remember in those long gone glorious days firearm manufacturers would build a customer just about anything you could ask.

I agree. However, blanket statements are useful sometimes when working with few facts. It can be the first step in narrowing things down.

Post modification is common. Is the rear barrel sight on your midrange in a mortise or true dovetail? It could be hard to know what was delivered by Remington and what someone like Lower or Gove did after they received a discounted case of rifles.

Regarding the Creedmoor: Again I am far from an expert. That said, from what I know of the few documented Creedmoor rifles, this does not fit BUT as 22-1045 pointed out, lots of options could be had. Unfortunately, much (not all) of the Remington records were damaged / destroyed.
A rifle that is a possible Creedmoor would be worth finding someone to help you post a photo. ... if for no other reason that some of us would enjoy seeing it. Please post if and when you have more.
Thanks!

-Michael Rix

Janoosh
12-06-2014, 08:29 PM
I have an old Winchester rear sight that may fit that dovetail. In the book on old sights it is a Winchester #29. A ladder peep sight with windage adjustment. I have moved and it's still packed away, so no pics yet.
Hope this helps.

fifty4
12-06-2014, 10:58 PM
I will try to find someone who can put a photo on this page, if its rare and worth a lot of money, then mine is not one. I may take the rear stock off to see if any # or markings are on the underside of tang. I just want to shoot it. thanks all 54

fifty4
12-06-2014, 11:00 PM
to janoosh I would be very interested, thank you 54

fifty4
12-08-2014, 12:44 PM
ok I have more info on the rollinblock barrel muzzle .840 barrel at receiver 1.125 receiver 1.330 top tang Remington arms co. ilion n.y. next letter I cant make out then S.A. it probably was an U , but I only want to put down what I can make out. then patented octr. 22nd and either 1902 or 1002 the second number is to hard to make out. with rear stock removed on the left side top tang it has a sideways G then 2660 then in larger numbers 867 now same side lower tang it has 2660 nothing on right side top of barrel is 45-70 creedmoor barrel is26 inches from crown to receiver in side but plate is 867

John Allen
12-08-2014, 01:11 PM
Fifty4, post some pics bud.

fifty4
12-09-2014, 12:32 PM
do not know how or have any way to do so. sorry, I do horses and mules. and don't know much about computers. 54

nekshot
12-09-2014, 01:58 PM
This gun sounds worth seeing. There are a bunch of us from Mo are members and someone could take a picture for you.

fifty4
12-09-2014, 03:22 PM
sounds great, I am livestock manager at shepherd of the hills outdoor theater in branson MO. I can be reached at 1417-699-6169 I work 7 days a week but only have to go in sunday n Monday to feed n water. any one live close. thanks 54

fifty4
12-24-2014, 03:59 PM
toolman if you find that sight , I will purchase it if you wish to sell, just give me a call (417) 699 6169 thanks 54

JMtoolman
12-26-2014, 05:26 PM
I found the sight alright, but you probably won't want it. It's not all there. It is missing the slider for the staff, and the spring and screw for the underside of the sight. This spring is to hold the staff upright. It would also need the rear of the sight dovetail welded and a bit of material added for some one rounded off the rear of the dovetail. The rear blade for the standing sight is there, and it is in better shape than my memory of it was. If you are handy with tools I am sure it can be saved and used. It is a little over 2.325 long, and it is an original Remington long range sight. I was going to rebuild it myself at one time but never got around to it. I think I paid $10.00 for it twenty years ago. If you still want it send me a PM. Best regards, John the toolman.

fifty4
01-02-2015, 06:19 PM
my dovetail is only 1 inch 800thousandth , if your sight is over 2inches it is too big, I thank you for your response , 54