PDA

View Full Version : Richards Microfit Stocks

mrbillbus
12-05-2014, 03:23 PM
Anyone ever deal with these folks? The prices seem a little too good to be true. Of course we know what that usually means. I am hoping that they are for real as far as fit and quality.

http://www.rifle-stocks.com

Bill

seaboltm
12-05-2014, 08:13 PM
I have a couple of times. On one occasion I bought a stock outright from them, and on another occasion I sent them a blank and had them turn the blank into one of their patterns. I was happy overall. Wait times on stuff not in stock or custom work will stretch into months, but that's everywhere these days. I bought one of their laminate stock mis-cuts and used it as a pattern stock for a turn. I started with their laminate and started slapping on bondo, rasping and sanding until I had what I wanted, and then sent the pattern and had it duplicated. Richard's is not high end work like Wenig's, but for the price, especially just on a shooter, you can't go wrong. If you have a J.P. Sauer that needs a new stock, Richard's Microfit is not your best choice. For an off the shelf rifle that you want to mildly customize or sporterize, go for it.

HeavyMetal
12-05-2014, 09:57 PM
I to have used Richards once or twice and been happy with the end result however you will need to adjust your wait times if your wanting a stock for an odd action.

Last time I was in the place, about 3 years ago, there were geared up to make all kinds of laminate 10-22 stocks.

I was hoping they had a few NOS number 1 ruger stocks in house but no such luck and no interest in cutting me one.

So If you place an order do it by phone and get both a working cell number and an E mail address for the owner.

You may need them, you may not.

mrbillbus
12-05-2014, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the replies. They have a stock in their "bargain bin" that should do for my needs. 99% press fit for $79 plus shipping.

RustyReel
12-06-2014, 08:30 AM
Call them as their last update on the bargain bin was on August 1st. It is not routinely updated. I bought four off that list a couple of days after the update. If it is for a "popular" rifle the stock you are looking at may not be there anymore. The wait times are very long if you have them turn a stock for you, but if you are lucky enough to have the one you are looking at still in the bargain bin you will probably have it in a week or so. The bargain bin factory stocks are a shot in the dark as to what you will get, but I am satisfied given the cost....good luck.

tomme boy
12-06-2014, 09:34 AM
They are very rough when you get them. So expect a LOT of sanding to make them nice.

Blackwater
12-06-2014, 10:13 AM
I once ordered a higher grade Am. walnut stock from them, and specified what kind of figure I wanted - sort of a marble cake with good color contrast - and couldn't have gotten a better pick if I'd gone there and chosen it myself. I've not dealt with them too many times, but when I have, I've been very well satisfied. One thing you have to know is that their stocks are a bit rougher and have extra wood in places where it's common for differing people to want to create different dimensions, but if you're picky about your wood and how it fits, this is a BIG plus. If you just want something quick and easy to finish, you'll probably be happier with another stock maker and a finished or "95% finished" stock. Since I'm rather ticky about my stock's form and dimensions, I considered this a BIG plus, but others just want something quick and simple to finish, so you have to understand the differences and choose accordingly to be happy with your purchase. A friend many years ago ordered a Bishop semi-finished stock, and when it got in, he said it looked "like a 2x4". He'd wanted a stock where all he had to do was sand it and finish it, and didn't know the difference between a semi-finished and a 95% finished stock, so save yourself some needless frustration and decide which it is that youTreally want, and deal with it accordingly. You'll be much happier if you do.

Hardcast416taylor
12-06-2014, 10:33 AM
I`ve gotten 3 stocks from them and all were better than I thought the listed grade should be. A #2 worm damaged AA grade Claro stock for an `03 Springfield I bought once for under $100 turned out to be a 95% inletted and shaped stock with just 1 very small worm hole back by the recoil pad! I filled the hole with epoxy and sanded it smooth when dry, looks like part of the grain now. Don`t let them install sling swivels for you, they put the front stud half way back from the fore end tip to the floor plate! Robert

RustyReel
12-06-2014, 12:58 PM
Just for giggles, here is one of the stocks I bought. It is still listed on their bargain list as No. 24-65 Rollover Factory Second Maple $59.
I expected the stock to be pretty much plain white maple but when I pulled it out of the box I was very surprised. It also had the Pachmayr Decelerator pad installed (look up what they charge just for that!). It had some drying checks which I thought were the reason for the 2nd rating, but it also had several machining flaws as well. Still nice for $59 plus shipping. It's a ten foot stock......looks VERY nice from ten feet away. Still needs work and I will probably remove the rollover, but I just had to put a couple of coats of finish on it to see what it was going to look like! The other stocks I bought were not quite as impressive, but still nice for the $$.

W.R.Buchanan
12-06-2014, 02:25 PM
I bought two from them One a Springfield with nicer wood, and the other a Green Laminate Mauser stock.

The Mauser stock was almost drop in and was $79. The Springfield is requiring a little more work to fit it but the wood is very nice for $112. I had to wait for several months for the Springfield stock.

This place is a good choice if you don't want to spend a zillion dollars to get a nice piece of wood. They are a little slow and hard to communicate with unless you buy something in stock in which case they are as good as anyone else.

If you really want hard to communicate with try Boyd's. With them what you see is what you get and there are NO SPECIAL ORDERS PERIOD! Don't even ask,,, if you are lucky enough to actually talk to someone.

Randy

Bushrat
12-08-2014, 11:38 PM
I bought a laminated semi inletted full mannlicher stock from them. When I looked it over I noticed that it was cut off centered. One side had wide spaced stripes and the other narrow stripes. When I called the nice lady told me they did that because it was more attractive. I sent it back but I know others who have had good luck.