PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Tame the Savage Beast, . . .

Jeff R
12-04-2014, 08:22 PM
Hi from the frozen tundra!
I finally got to shoot my new (used) .41 Magnum Blackhawk. The Boolit that I was using is this RCBS 41-210-KT.

From my manuals, I picked three loads to try,

The Unique and Trail Boss loads were fun to shoot. The 2400 load gave the smallest group, but was not as much fun to shoot. It did this to my tender skin:

I think I need some new grips if I want to shoot these warmer loads. I already have enough problems with R.I.N.M.S.T.S. (recoil induced neuro-musculo-skeletal twitching syndrome).

Years ago, I put a set of Pachmayr rubber grips on my Ruger SBH. At that time, I was mainly shooting factory ammo. Those grips gave me a blister in the palm of my hand:

I need to protect my hand from the sharp 90 degree corner on the frame, right where the hammer comes out –

I may give the rubber grips on the SBH another try, as I am mainly shooting cast, at plinking fun levels. On the .41 Blackhawk, I want to get grips that will protect my hand at the web of the thumb area, and also it would be nice if they allowed my pinky finger to actually grip the grip.

I will try some new grips based almost entirely on the recommendations of you forum members. I wouldn’t be against a pair of attractive wood grips, if they didn’t hurt, and allowed my pinky to grip the grips. Please recommend some choices, based on your experiences.

Thanks!
Jeff

Rocketing towards 100 posts!

contender1
12-04-2014, 10:53 PM
Well, I'm a long time Ruger owner & lover of their SA handguns. I own about 1/2 dozen of the 41 mags myself. From your pics, someone has installed a Super Blackhawk hammer on your Blackhawk. A nice addition.
Now, as for a bit of help.
First, you can have a smith remove the sharp corners if you can't do it yourself. If that gripframe is the alloy one it's not hard to touch it up after you remove those sharp corners.
Next, a set of grips.
If you want a nice set of custom stocks to fit YOU better, consider "Lone Star Custom Grips." Zane does a very nice job. A proper grip is necessary for good shooting, (and not tearing skin.)
Rubber baby buggy bumpers aren't the best option. They don't allow the handgun to roll under recoil as it should.
I'd invest in a set of good grips!

rintinglen
12-04-2014, 11:03 PM
Not looking for a fight here, but I think the Pachmayrs are the answer to this problem. It is precisely the rolling of the gun when fired that is biting his hand. I'd put on a set of Hogues or Pachmayrs to keep the gun from slipping and go from there.

454PB
12-04-2014, 11:08 PM
Have you considered a good set of shooting gloves?

I use Uncle Mike's when shooting more than about 10 rounds of heavy .44 magnum loads

TCLouis
12-04-2014, 11:46 PM
Surprisingly even a lightweight cotton glove will give you some (adequate) protection.

I did something for a friend years ago and was testifiring his gun (44 Maggie) with Pachyies and my normal SBH loads,
Dang pachmyhr grips peeled my skin lose

contender1
12-05-2014, 07:10 AM
:D rintinglen,, no fight from me. :D Yes, some folks have found the Pachmyers will work for them. But in his pic he has already stated they give him blisters.
My comments are this;
In general, using any grips that goes against the recoil forces of natural movement will cause more problems than they solve. Due to the plow handle design, the gun wants to roll upwards, especially when heavier ammo is used. A DA revolver is designed differently & will quite often do very well with a set of rubber grips.

I need to add another thought here. A teaching session with an experienced SA instructor (not Bubba) might be a good idea. As a firearm instructor I have helped MANY folks learn to shoot better with whatever firearm they own. A proper grip (for that design of firearm,) the stance, & a good fitting set of grips on the gun all can make a HUGE difference. Watching someone learn it properly & then proceed to hit gongs & such from 100 yds is a very rewarding experience. I do it a lot,,,!

And, in most cases, rubber grips are not the answer. The OP has already shown he has issues with them. I offer all this as a way of explaining my earlier comments.

Lefty Red
12-05-2014, 10:12 AM
Have you considered a good set of shooting gloves?

I use Uncle Mike's when shooting more than about 10 rounds of heavy .44 magnum loads

+2. I had a shorter barrel BH in 41 magnum. I put Hogues and Pachs on it and neither helped. When I allowed the weapon to naturally roll up and keep my elbows loose, I put the slim wooden stock grips back on the used the gloves for the heavy 265gr bullets in mine. Awesome caliber!

Jerry

JSH
12-05-2014, 10:34 AM
I am not new to heavy recoiling pistols. I am expanding on my SAA guns though. They are a bit different to a DA gun. Nothing more than a golf glove will help. Dunno how your muscle tone is but I would get a rubber ball and proceed to squeezing it on a regular basis.
I have had the bark knocked off in several places but never have in the web of my hand.
Your pinky hangs off the bottom of the grip so I would say you have at least average size hands. Did that happen one handed or two. I would suggest to look at some videos on shooting the SAA guns with heavy recoil.

FlatTop45LC
12-05-2014, 10:42 AM
I sold off my Old Model 41 maggie with the short barrel because it hurt my hand do bad.

It had a gorgeous set of Stag grips on it but they were too thick and had too much bark for comfortable shooting.

44man
12-05-2014, 11:47 AM
It is letting the gun "roll". You need to hold tighter. I shoot very large SA's with rubber grips and bare hands. Even the .500's don't bite me.
Hold the hog leg low and put your pinky under the grip, don't crawl up on it. Hold just short of the shakes.

Paul105
12-05-2014, 12:39 PM
Cheapest way to start is with a bandaid(s). Have two big boxes in the truck's console. Have also found that good quality golf glove works wonders (make sure seams aren't between you and the gun). I cut off the thumb and part of the trigger finger to better feel loading, cocking and trigger pull.

I don't have a problem with rubber grips, in fact all of my S&W DA round butt's are equipped with Hogue 500s. For some reason, they never felt right to me on a single action -- same goes for the "padded" shooting gloves.

FWIW,

Paul

Groo
12-05-2014, 07:39 PM
Groo here
+1+ with 44man on this.
The correct grip on the shorter singleaction grip is to place the little finger UNDER the grip , curl or rap.
This causes the hand to be lower , saves nuckles and indexes the hand the same each time [ smaller groups]
Shooting a singlesction is different as you need to hold the gun but allow it to "run" aka don't lock
the elbow like combat shooting a double action or auto.
Super magnums are the exception.

Good Cheer
12-05-2014, 08:15 PM
Don't floor board it except when you need to.
Wear hand protection and ear protection.

Try hot loaded heavy gas checked wadcutters with the front diameter sized to slip into the throats and lead inside the case minimized.
It's a 40-65 in your pocket![smilie=w:

prs
12-05-2014, 08:57 PM
Well, I am a self taught idiot and shied away from suggesting my typical grip, i.e. with pinky finger under the heel of the grip. I do this in my usual one handed hold, but I do have strong hands. Pleased to see others recommend the pinky down style too.

If on the slippery slope of neurological flinch, I recommend not shooting punishing loads more than necessary for load development and familiarity. During use in real action of hunting or self protection, you probably will not flinch unless you greatly ingrain the response.

prs

mkf350
12-05-2014, 09:42 PM
Here's the best thing for grips.....
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZHrux7ABbHqzNgMuwaRBK8OLPM0nYp xER00bSGsGrSj7Y8Xqc8Q

Jeff R
12-05-2014, 10:01 PM
Thank You Guys!
This is all great advice. I will: use some gloves, hang on tighter, and try to find some videos online to help improve my technique. The photos of my hands probably made them look weaker than they really are. Any photo of me makes me look weaker than I really am.

I am never against getting instruction in any activity where skill and proper technique are involved. I have taken lessons in cross country skiing technique, fly tying, fly casting and have hired a guide a couple times when I started trout fishing. I never knew how much I didn't know until I took a lesson. It always cut YEARS off the learning curve. I am coach-able, I think. Thanks again for your help.
Regards,
Jeff

Rocketing towards 200 posts!

JHeath
12-05-2014, 10:30 PM
I had a .41 BH way once upon a time. Switched to Pachmayrs (sp?) but in those days options very limited. And my hands very large. Grip frame short and plates too thin at top, too fat at bottom. If I were to own another BH, which I probably will, I would expect to change grip frames and do the Bisley or Keith No. 5 shape. I think those are available, seems like endless aftermarket options for Rugers.

44man
12-06-2014, 12:39 PM
Bisley's destroy my middle knuckle, can't get away from the trigger guard. I am 100% a hog leg guy. Just let the gun raise your arms without the grip slipping.
Shooting my big guns from bags will twist my wrist but off hand none are a problem.
My .475 BFR has the fastest barrel rise and torque, worse then the .500 JRH.
I shoot NO light loads. I am 77 and have done this for 58 years starting with the .44 mag and never needed a glove except with smooth wood grips. I have used Pachmeyer's or BFR rubber grips only, I think BFR uses Uncle Mikes. No problem running up to 100 shots out of the big guns.
The .41 is snappy because of gun weight, I shoot a friends a lot. Fine caliber.
I have shot many .500 S&W's and .500 Linebaugh's without a glove.
I did not like the Freedom .475 until my friend bought the factory rubber grips. The Freedom .454 is not much different then a Ruger .44.
I do things different when a guy wants to learn a revolver. I give him a BIG one first, talk him through it, show him what to do until he is hitting real good, then I hand him my .44. He will look at me and wonder if it went off!
If you hold a SA revolver too high you might get nerve or tendon damage. If you think a Bisley will prevent it, think again. I cuss at them and never shot good groups either. An ounce different pressure will change POI.
Look at Taffin's picture holding a six gun, he is wrong and suffers from it. He actually has a young guy test guns now.
Try to get your trigger finger as straight to the trigger as you can. Notice Taffy's is near 45*.
Let the grip push straight into the wrist bone, like pulling a bow, don't build in wrist whip.

44man
12-06-2014, 01:02 PM
One day a friend brought his sons to shoot. I always take my .500 JRH and his oldest was afraid of it until I showed it could be shot with one hand. A little instruction and he was hitting pop cans at 50 off hand every shot. Then he took his dads .454 Freedom and took a pop can at 100 off hand.
He ran through half my box of loads until I told him he was cutting into my deer loads. No time to make more.
How great to be young again and hold still?
You learn little starting with a .22, then .38 and then up except trigger control that is good by itself, but your brain will shred you when handed something larger. I have more success starting bigger. My triggers average 1-1/2# so everyone dry fires first to get the feel.

canyon-ghost
12-06-2014, 01:07 PM
I've chronoed 15.5 grains of 2400 at 1315 fps . I use it on a target range for 100 meters. That's about as fast as I load a 41 magnum with a taper crimp. It will shoot reliably at 14.2 grains too. However, I do agree with these guys, your grip must be off. I've never had my Blackhawk cut me like that.

Mohillbilly
12-06-2014, 03:00 PM
May I suggest , lock your wrist , and elbow , when it recoils , hinge at the shoulder . Have a firm grasp on the grip frame , pinkie curled under the butt . Ride the recoil with your whole body, backward ( feet shoulder width apart , one foot forward ) let it shove your whole arm ( s ) up . Resist progressively with your arm( s ) as it rises ( start with two hands shift as you get proficient to one ) , rocking your weight from fore to aft on your feet . Looking at your injury , you have been hammer spurred , and gotten rubber / friction burned from those grips . The super black hammer is easier to cock because it is lower and closer to your hand , but for a longer grip frame . A Bisley hammer is even lower and for its own angle . I suggest to put wood smooth grips back on your black hawk and or put the original style spur hammer back on , a glove will help , until you can grip/ squeeze hard enough to control the slippage , a regular spur hammer would also put more space between it and your sore hand . With your pinkie below the black hawk grip frame your hand is farther away from that hammer also . When you move up to really large big bore , heavy loads , try a Bisley grip that will slip less in your hand , and push more to the palm area . As far as flinch goes get/ or use a single six in 22/32 because it can/will have the same interchangeable grip frame with less recoil to keep you from anticipating the shot .