View Full Version : 50 Alaskan handgun loads

al bundy
12-04-2014, 07:39 PM
I have a BFR that was converted to 50 Alaskan by Jack Huntington.The barrel length is 6-3/4"
and it has an integral muzzle break. After firing the Grizzly 525 grain factory load, I
decided to work up suitable handgun loads for this gun. It only took about a week for my
knuckle's swelling to subside. The devit in my forehead will just be a battle scar.(joking)
Doing a bunch of internet searching netted me nothing so I started with a known
powder that is used in this caliber. IMR 4198 was my choice and a 510 grain LFN plain base
bullet at a hardness of about 18 BHN. I know its frowned upon, but I chose to take up the
"space in the case" with GRITS. Brass was fire formed 348 Winchester trimmed to 2.100"
Primers were WOLF large rifle.
These are my results. all are 10 shot group averages with the chronograph at 8' from muzzle.
Temperature was 58-61 degrees

28.0 grains 4198 = 855 FPS
30.0 grains 4198 = 940 FPS
32.0 grains 4198 = 977 FPS
34.0 grains 4198 = 1060 FPS
36.0 grains 4198 = 1087 FPS
38.0 grains 4198 = 1135 FPS
40.0 grains 4198 = 1183 FPS
42.0 grains 4198 = 1252 FPS
44.0 grains 4198 = 1350 FPS
46.0 grains 4198 = 1407 FPS
48.0 grains 4198 = 1494 FPS
50.0 grains 4198 = 1502 FPS
52.0 grains 4198 = 1556 FPS

paul h
12-04-2014, 08:03 PM
Jack does great work!

I'm shaking my head at the thought of torching off 52 gr of powder from a 6 3/4" tube, but I'd also be intrigued to see a picture of that event with minimal ambient lighting [smilie=w:

rintinglen
12-04-2014, 11:08 PM
As a 348 shooter I can not condone this profligate waste of Brass. As a 60 something year old man, I tremble at the thought of having to fire that thing. It would surely kill a grizzly--if you could get him to shoot it.

al bundy
12-05-2014, 03:01 AM
now thats funny ! Actually the loads with charge weights under 44 grains were not bad at all. The factory Grizzly ammo is not an option! Trail boss is probably a better choice for reduced loads

Lloyd Smale
12-05-2014, 07:54 AM
don't remember the exact loads and mine was a rifle but I had my best luck with re7 in the Alaskan.

str8wal
12-05-2014, 12:46 PM
Actually the loads with charge weights under 44 grains were not bad at all.

How was the accuracy of the lighter loads?

ole 5 hole group
12-05-2014, 04:19 PM
now thats funny ! Actually the loads with charge weights under 44 grains were not bad at all. The factory Grizzly ammo is a no no, even one round is a no no ! Trail boss is probably a better choice for reduced loads

You think factory Grizzly ammo for the 50 Alaskan is a no-no - well, I kinda think the 50 Alaskan in a handgun is a no-no. I occasionally shoot a 500 Linebaugh Max with 525 grain bullets at warp speed and that's about all the felt recoil a guy can "enjoy". Now the Linebaugh Max case length is 1.6" while the 50 Alaskan is 2.2", both 511 diameter - I would think a guy could meet his felt recoil limit well before going the 50 Alaskan route.

Wearing that BFR with a loader cylinder and 5-spare rounds on the belt might call for a heavy duty pair of suspenders to hold up that heavy-duty gun belt.:|

Groo
12-05-2014, 07:10 PM
Groo here
For a light cast load ,try a full to the base of the bullet load of Trailboss .
You should see 800fps or so and an easy push.

al bundy
12-05-2014, 08:45 PM
Groo here
For a light cast load ,try a full to the base of the bullet load of Trailboss .
You should see 800fps or so and an easy push.
Thanks Groo. I plan on using Trailboss soon

al bundy
12-05-2014, 08:48 PM
You think factory Grizzly ammo for the 50 Alaskan is a no-no - well, I kinda think the 50 Alaskan in a handgun is a no-no. I occasionally shoot a 500 Linebaugh Max with 525 grain bullets at warp speed and that's about all the felt recoil a guy can "enjoy". Now the Linebaugh Max case length is 1.6" while the 50 Alaskan is 2.2", both 511 diameter - I would think a guy could meet his felt recoil limit well before going the 50 Alaskan route.

Wearing that BFR with a loader cylinder and 5-spare rounds on the belt might call for a heavy duty pair of suspenders to hold up that heavy-duty gun belt.:|
Yes, I agree. I didnt have this built, I bought it from a guy that shot it 4 times. My choice would have been to have a 500 Max built by Huntington. But this cures the recoil fix for sure. I just wanted to post some results for others that have the 50 AK BFR

al bundy
12-05-2014, 08:49 PM
How was the accuracy of the lighter loads?
I have not done any accuracy testing yet, just velocity

al bundy
12-05-2014, 08:50 PM
don't remember the exact loads and mine was a rifle but I had my best luck with re7 in the Alaskan.
Yes LLOYD, I contacted you when I first got this and you gave me some good pointers Thanks again

Whiterabbit
12-06-2014, 02:55 AM
I wish I could borrow this. I dream of loading 647 grain m33 ball pullets in a case and shooting them via pistol. This would be just the ticket (actually a long cylinder BFR in 500 linebaugh would be, but this would work too), and 4198 would be the perfect powder to do it.

I shoot heavies in a 460 BFR. I think you are on the right track with 4198, H or IMR. 1400 fps sounds like just the right range to be in.

al bundy
12-06-2014, 09:50 AM
I wish I could borrow this. I dream of loading 647 grain m33 ball pullets in a case and shooting them via pistol. This would be just the ticket (actually a long cylinder BFR in 500 linebaugh would be, but this would work too), and 4198 would be the perfect powder to do it.

I shoot heavies in a 460 BFR. I think you are on the right track with 4198, H or IMR. 1400 fps sounds like just the right range to be in.

Thanks for the input Whiterabbit. Yep, 1400 FPS is about right. The 500 Linebaugh MAX in the long framed Ruger would be a better package, but I like this gun. A bit overwhelming when pushed though

44man
12-06-2014, 11:52 AM
Keep the velocity down. That is the only gun I refused to shoot but it was built on a D max with shiny Bisley grips. Full power loads. Friend could not hold it either and split his head wide open.

smoked turkey
12-06-2014, 09:02 PM
I readily admit that I do not enjoy heavy recoiling long or short guns like I once did. My 480 Ruger Alaskan torques my shooting hand more than enough for me! If offered I would not shoot the beast either. I am just not man enough. But I do like to read about those that can and do.

al bundy
12-06-2014, 10:32 PM
I readily admit that I do not enjoy heavy recoiling long or short guns like I once did. My 480 Ruger Alaskan torques my shooting hand more than enough for me! If offered I would not shoot the beast either. I am just not man enough. But I do like to read about those that can and do.
I'm not a fan of the very heavy recoil either, thats why I wanted to work loads up to a reasonable level

Whiterabbit
12-07-2014, 01:49 AM
Here's some interesting info. I have my BFR loadbook open. My BFR is a 460 S&W (read: smaller expansion chamber) and a 10 inch barrel (read: higher expected velocity), here's some interesting data:

My RCBS 500 grain BPCR boolit goes about 1250+ with 29-30 grains of IMR4198. With 31 grains it does about 1350. So, as a "calibration", I'm looking at 2/3rds of the powder you are using.

So, a 590 grain Lead Zeppelin boolit (yes, that's the name of the boolit) goes 1150-1200 fps with 26-28-ish grains of IMR4198 (the load was not clearly documented). So you could shoot a 649 grain m33 to about the same velocity with maybe a 40-ish grain charge. Rough estimate, given m33 ball is 10% heavier. I don't know if you would have to ream the case to thin the walls where the case tension would be to chamber the round, and of course the crimp groove could not be used. It would look rather comical seated to an OAL of 3".

the 740 grain NEI (yes they made a production 700+ grain 45 cal) does about 930 fps with 20 grains of 4198 and the cases just fell out via gravity, no pressure signs. So if you wanted to play with some 750 grain AMAX bullets......

Just sayin' :)

al bundy
12-07-2014, 07:45 AM
Noooooooooo!!!!

Whiterabbit
12-07-2014, 03:29 PM
Is that a no of sarcastic anti-enthusiasm born of having a need now to try one or both of those, now that you have some starting data to go after? :)

Cause I happen to have a bunch of extra m33 ball I'm not gonna ever use...... :) :) :)

(For free if you send me a couple dummy rounds, one untrimmed @ 3" and one with the brass trimmed short to end at the cannelure @ 3" OAL)

al bundy
12-07-2014, 06:53 PM
Is that a no of sarcastic anti-enthusiasm born of having a need now to try one or both of those, now that you have some starting data to go after? :)

Cause I happen to have a bunch of extra m33 ball I'm not gonna ever use...... :) :) :)

(For free if you send me a couple dummy rounds, one untrimmed @ 3" and one with the brass trimmed short to end at the cannelure @ 3" OAL)
Just kidding, its a nooooo I dont want to put a bullet of that weight into my testing right now. The 500-525 grainers are all I am testing, But thanks

Whiterabbit
12-08-2014, 01:54 AM
You might be surprised to hear that a 740 grain boolit going 930 fps from a 5 lb revolver recoils like a 45 acp.... (no, really. like a 45 acp.)

Lloyd Smale
12-08-2014, 08:35 AM
your a tougher man then me. Ive shot the 475 and 500 linebaughs for years but when my buddy brings out his 500 and 475 max guns I go looking for the girls room. Those max guns with full power loads are in a different galaxy comparted to the standard guns with real full power stuff.

dmize
12-10-2014, 01:18 AM
Go to http://singleactions.proboards.com/ and search a fellow named whitworth,he is the guy with the bisley gripped BFR. I am sure he will answer any question you have.
Why some people cant pass on simple information is beyond me.

Whiterabbit
12-10-2014, 01:33 AM
Jack does great work!

I'm shaking my head at the thought of torching off 52 gr of powder from a 6 3/4" tube, but I'd also be intrigued to see a picture of that event with minimal ambient lighting [smilie=w:

How about 52 grains of H110?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=99992&d=1395251665

al bundy
12-10-2014, 04:42 AM
(QUOTE) I am sure he will answer any question you have.
Why some people cant pass on simple information is beyond me.[/QUOTE]

DMIZE what question was asked?

44man
12-10-2014, 11:41 AM
WOW, instant BBQ but the flavor of burnt powder does not match Apple or Hickory. :bigsmyl2:

al bundy
12-10-2014, 01:50 PM
WOW, instant BBQ but the flavor of burnt powder does not match Apple or Hickory. :bigsmyl2:

LOL, my thoughts exactly

44man
12-10-2014, 05:21 PM
Want to see Whit's head?124111 His is the gun I refused to shoot.

44man
12-10-2014, 05:56 PM
I like Marko, a good friend for a long time, good shot and hunter until JWP stuck his nose in and soured my friend. Just over a primer. Whitworth is Marko and we shot and hunted together. He wrote some great books under Max Prasac.
You did not know that I know him, did you?
(Go to http://singleactions.proboards.com/ and search a fellow named whitworth,he is the guy with the bisley gripped BFR. I am sure he will answer any question you have.
Why some people cant pass on simple information is beyond me. )
There are three people that gall me, John Parker, CraigC and John Taffin. They hate me and turned my friend against me.
I would set up tests and the chrono, soaked paper to jugs, you name it but Marko was on the phone to JWP the whole time we shot. The owner of the single action site was here too. Nice kid, wanted me back after being booted when he seen what I could do. I refused.
Yes I know lee Martin too. I was a go-fer.
Don't tell me about simple information.

ole 5 hole group
12-10-2014, 05:56 PM
I'd shoot it but with full-on loads, I sure wouldn't let that puppy roll. I sure wouldn't go out of my way to have a go with that hog-leg, but my ego wouldn't let me walk away either.:cry: Ole Max probably doesn't appreciate your humor Jim.:smile:

We posted at the same time - just let it go Jim, everything will come out ok, just give it a little time.

44man
12-10-2014, 06:04 PM
I'd shoot it but with full-on loads, I sure wouldn't let that puppy roll. I sure wouldn't go out of my way to have a go with that hog-leg, but my ego wouldn't let me walk away either.:cry: Ole Max probably doesn't appreciate your humor Jim.:smile:

We posted at the same time - just let it go Jim, everything will come out ok, just give it a little time.
Many don't my friend but I was there. I seen that nasty hunk of iron in action. I shot all of Marko's guns without gloves but that beast needed a 300# vise. I kind of lost the stupid ability long ago.

jwp475
12-10-2014, 09:14 PM
Go to http://singleactions.proboards.com/ and search a fellow named whitworth,he is the guy with the bisley gripped BFR. I am sure he will answer any question you have.
Why some people cant pass on simple information is beyond me.

It is not a BFR Whit's 50 Alaskan is built on a D-Max frame and is considerably lighter than a BFR. I sold this revolver to Whitworth.

44man
12-11-2014, 11:34 AM
It is not a BFR Whit's 50 Alaskan is built on a D-Max frame and is considerably lighter than a BFR. I sold this revolver to Whitworth.
That is true John, I don't know why we can't get along. I am open to forgive and a hand shake.
I don't think CraigC is in that spot, accused me of poaching without reading the game laws where we can shoot two deer a day now without tagging until done.
I am too old to continue this, it is up to you.

44man
12-11-2014, 11:47 AM

I want my friends back, even JWP. Talk to Marko for me. Things are not right, can we fix it?

44MAG#1
12-11-2014, 12:10 PM
I hope you can fix it 44man.
We have had our arguments too.
But, I want you to know I love you. Please forgive me for being unkind to you in times past.
Have a great day.

44man
12-11-2014, 01:07 PM
Me too, I do not get angry very often and had a great deal of respect for JWP and you never lost respect or love. You are a good man.
I wish all of you a very Merry Christmas. I give a prayer for all of you and your families too. God bless you all.

CraigC
12-11-2014, 02:35 PM
I am open to forgive and a hand shake. I don't think CraigC is in that spot, accused me of poaching without reading the game laws where we can shoot two deer a day now without tagging until done.
I never accused you of poaching. If you're going to slander someone, be accurate about it.

You don't want peace. You wage war and then play the victim. In this thread, there was no reason whatsoever for you to mention me, JWP or Whit. There's no reason for you to mention me on this forum whatsoever.

paul h
12-11-2014, 04:22 PM
1/2 moa slander?

44man
12-11-2014, 04:39 PM
I never accused you of poaching. If you're going to slander someone, be accurate about it.

You don't want peace. You wage war and then play the victim. In this thread, there was no reason whatsoever for you to mention me, JWP or Whit. There's no reason for you to mention me on this forum whatsoever.
Your last post on 24 hour said you don't care if I am a poacher. I had to post the rules. Would you like me to post all of your PM's to me here?
I warned you to watch what you say about me. You actually did say that you don't care if I poach. Who slanders who?
I mention Whit and JWP because I still like them and hold nothing against them. You on the other hand go out of your way with hate. I offered you a hand many times but you won't have it.
Maybe you should look inward. You reap what you sow.
I don't remember posting anything that you did not dispute me on, then PM with vile remarks.
But still, have a Merry Christmas. The Lord says "turn the other cheek."
You have shown your true nature once again.
I would like to have you over some good food and drinks as a friend. you mess your bed. You will never know how much we loved Whit and his wife and the pain of loss.
I mention him with pride to having known him.
Only others have used cuss words. In all these years Whit has never attacked me. He stands tall with you peons at the bottom trying to be important. You tail drag and nut swing. And think you know and have importance. You do not know Whit like I do and how great a shot he is even if I taught him a few things. What he does, does not rub off on you.
I still out shot him but darn you better be able to hit a little water bottle off hand at 100 yards. Whit can do it but if you think you can by swinging, get a life. Swing on Taffin and tell me you are better. Ransom rest that can be beat all day from bags or Creedmore. Young guy shooting because Taffin ruined his wrists from the wrong holds. 25 yards when a big bore should be shot at 50 to start. How about a revolver at 500 meters (547 yards.)
Craigc, are you still around? I have asked you to show many times. Don't give excuses that you don't need to show. Take your word for it. The important thing is always if you helped anyone else. These great people need help, where is yours?

CraigC
12-11-2014, 05:33 PM
Read it again, Jim. I never accused you of poaching. I said I didn't care one way or another. I still don't. What I do care about is you running your mouth about me on other forums and saying things that are not true. I still don't know what all this juvenile "nutswinging" nonsense is about and don't really care.

I offered you as much as $2000 to come here and prove yourself and you ignored it. I gave you full opportunity to exonerate you and all your claims, plus make a little cash and get all your expenses paid for and all I heard were crickets. Had you proven your accuracy claims, I would've eaten crow and supported you online for the duration. You declined, that tells me something.

As for all the rest of that nonsense, it has nothing to do with the discussion here and there was no reason to post it. If you have a personal issue with me, take it to PM's on 24hr. Don't sit here and run your mouth about people you do not know on a site where they are unable to defend themselves. That makes you a coward.

Alan in Vermont
12-11-2014, 07:44 PM
Where's the flippin' popcorn?? Probably few people here know who this is all about and even fewer care.

al bundy
12-11-2014, 10:19 PM
Where's the flippin' popcorn?? Probably few people here know who this is all about and even fewer care.

Agree. I just wanted to post some safe results in my testing because there wasn't any data showing reduced loads for the 50 Alaskan in a handgun. I was getting some good input for awhile

lawdog941
12-11-2014, 10:38 PM
I still like the comment on getting the grizzly to shoot it...

al bundy
12-12-2014, 12:15 PM
I still like the comment on getting the grizzly to shoot it...

after shooting the factory Grizzly 525 grain ammo, I think he's correct

jwp475
12-12-2014, 12:19 PM
after shooting the factory Grizzly 525 grain ammo, I think he's correct

The 525 grain load from Buffalo Bore is a beast as well.

44man
12-12-2014, 12:48 PM
Craig, it was inferred by you saying you don't care if I poach. You might have thought I was wrong, It's OK. I don't want to get into PM's again either and do not want your money.
I never claimed to be able to shoot on demand either and I do worse now, can't see good or hold as still but I bet you can shoot my guns and loads and beat the pants off me.
I think we can get over this stuff, it does nothing for the OP's post, just wanted to show the gun can be a nasty beast.
Let's forgive and forget and go back to the post. Can you accept apologies?
The man wants to know what shoots good without killing him and I can't help with the caliber.
I do fear the thing, in a rifle it would beat you silly.

Whiterabbit
12-12-2014, 05:53 PM
What's Jack charge to rechamber a revolver (6 shot to 5 shot kinda change), and what kind of lead times does he typically have?

paul h
12-12-2014, 06:24 PM
Call him.

I just called him last week about having an action tune and custom grips made for a bisley and he said it was an 8 week lead time. I said that's impressive, and he responded well if you want a 5 shot that's going to take quite a bit longer.

His prices have always been reasonable and his work top notch.

al bundy
12-12-2014, 07:07 PM
Whiterabbit, PM sent. 44man, I appreciate what you've mentioned in this post and the pm's. As you infer, the 50 Alaskan is not a a cartridge that should be fired from a handgun. And I agree. Hence the reason for my original post. I could not find any data including on the Single action site regarding downloading the 50 AK. There were mentions of the gun just being too much to control, but no specifics on load data etc. Hodgdon lists a starting weight of 52 grains of H4198 for the 525 grain bullet so that was my figure to work up to. The use of grits or COW was just to take up the space in the case and also to eliminate any potential leading from the Plain Base bullet I was testing. By the way, no leading at all. Thanks all for the input, humor included.

paul h
12-12-2014, 08:01 PM
For reduced loads I'd try Unique.

In my 500 Jeffrey I've used Unique for ~1200 fps loads with 470 gr cast. Unique works well even when there is lots of airspace in the case. As far as load data for the 50 Alaskan, I'd use 500 Linebaugh data and work up from there. I'd expect you'd be able to find an accurate ~1000 fps load that will be relatively shootable.

al bundy
12-13-2014, 08:18 AM
For reduced loads I'd try Unique.

In my 500 Jeffrey I've used Unique for ~1200 fps loads with 470 gr cast. Unique works well even when there is lots of airspace in the case. As far as load data for the 50 Alaskan, I'd use 500 Linebaugh data and work up from there. I'd expect you'd be able to find an accurate ~1000 fps load that will be relatively shootable.

Now that's interesting. I've read on this forum about "the load" which is a dose of Red Dot that is supposedly safe for any rifle caliber. Never tried anything other than the 4198 loads I listed and a few tests on AA1680 that were for the 500 Max. AA 1680 needs to be compressed according to the mfg. and I just don't have luck with it unless its in a 1.6" case. I think Trail Boss would be a great reduced load, but it like most powders is hard to come by now days

Whiterabbit
12-13-2014, 12:16 PM
I wouldn't bother anymore. You have a working solution with 4198. Time and time again, that's exactly what I do. No matter what works or does not, for a "daily" shooter load, I stick with 4198. Doesn't use a ton of powder, isn't a completely maxed out load, but still is medium enough to do the cartridge and the gun justice. Afterall, if you really wanted to shoot trailboss, you'd have bought a 45 colt cowboy gun. Now you just need ot find what shoots well at 100 yards. And stick with it, even if you wanted a 1200 fps load and it shoots super accurate at 1400. Just gotta stick with what the gun likes.

It's still not buffalo bore level loads :)

-----------

And when IMR4198 is hard to find (like right now) go qualify H4198. The load won't have to be adjusted much, a grain or two. H4198 is easy to find now even when IMR is impossible. That keeps you shooting indefinitely. And I suspect IMR4198 is what commercial loaders use for 223 (just a hunch based on availability trends over the last year), suggesting it will NEVER be discontinued in your children's lifetimes.

44man
12-14-2014, 12:33 PM
Ya know as brass gets larger and larger for barrel length, it gets harder and harder. Even a 30-30 in a short gun can drive you up a wall.
Sure, you can go to faster powders for low velocity and recoil but to make the caliber to potential, you need barrel length and gun weight to limit recoil.
Even large calibers like a .500 in a short barrel will not work. Imagine the .50 Alaskan or 45-70 with a 4" barrel!!! Even a 4198 load with be a fireball out front.
To make the Alaskan work needs it to be labeled as a destructive device front and rear. To make it work to be shoot-able is like turning a .460 Weatherby into a .45 Colt.
The gun was made for T Rex, bottom line. Might be too much even then. Not many humans can hold the thing.
I agree about downloading because I will not shoot it with full power. The question is WHY have the gun???

Whiterabbit
12-14-2014, 12:58 PM
I can think of a few reasons, having wrestled with "buyers remorse".... at first.... with the 460.

1. the user likes the caliber (452, 458, 510, whatever.... caliber in the actual sense of the word, not the misuse in popular vernacular)
2. the user found a good deal, or this was the only game in town (not too many 500 linebaughs go up for sale, almost never for under $2000, this may have been right place at the right time kinda thing)
3. uniformity across other products (ie I have a 45/70 falling block, a 45/70 levergun, I want a 45/70 revolver kind of thing)

There may be others.

I agree that trailboss and light charges of fast pistol powder are a waste. Why not just shoot a smaller gun? But at some point, this 50AK will do something no linebaugh can do, or no 500S&W can do, etc. One is shoot really heavy boolits. 850+ grains for example. Another is keep pressures low while being moderate. My metric for the 460 was always: shoot something heavier than a 454 can handle, and do it faster than a 454 is capable of, and it doesn't matter if I max it out. I justify the gun. I end up with 425-500 grain bullets going 1400 fps, and it works. No more shooting 200 grain bullets with 52 grains of H110 (like pic above) and recoil is more pleasant, power is up there, and gun is justified.

There will be something like that justifying the purchase here. If not simply "I wanted the darn thing!" :)

44man
12-15-2014, 12:31 AM
Why I bought the 45-70 BFR no need at all except I had dies and boolits. But then the work began.
You make good points.

ole 5 hole group
12-15-2014, 11:34 AM
Why have the gun??? Just to take abuse from other guys, that's why. I took a 378 Weatherby into a Canadian Moose Camp one year and it was 5-days of hard drinking, pushing bush all day and taking a ton of guff from those funny talking guys who carried 303's and 308's. They made a point of placing my cartridge on a shelf along with all of theirs and pointing it out to all who stopped by for a tottie or two/three/four and asked "what do you make of that?"

44man
12-15-2014, 11:44 AM
Why have the gun??? Just to take abuse from other guys, that's why. I took a 378 Weatherby into a Canadian Moose Camp one year and it was 5-days of hard drinking, pushing bush all day and taking a ton of guff from those funny talking guys who carried 303's and 308's. They made a point of placing my cartridge on a shelf along with all of theirs and pointing it out to all who stopped by for a tottie or two/three/four and asked "what do you make of that?"
That's great! :bigsmyl2: Why do I use a .475 and .500 JRH for deer? Because they work, that's why.

Lloyd Smale
12-16-2014, 09:52 AM
im just as bad. I showed up at deer camp years ago with a #1 458 mag and was about laughed out of there till they compared the damage it did to what my brother in laws 270 did. It also makes me laugh that some think im using a dinosaur killing machine when I take a 475 or 500 linebaugh to hunt deer when in all reality there no more powerful then a black powder 4570.

paul h
12-16-2014, 02:42 PM
Well if you deer hunt where the big bears live, you won't get any grief about using a large bore rifle. A buddy uses a 340 Weatherby or 45-70 and packs a 500 Linebaugh on his hip. One year he was charged by a large brown bear so he doesn't take any chances.

starmac
12-17-2014, 03:36 AM
Even that 50 alaskan would feel small while facing a charging grizzly. lol A guy probably wouldn't notice the recoil either, if could just get it off his skull for a second shot. lol

Bullshop Junior
12-17-2014, 04:14 AM
A 50 AK pistol? I thought the 45/70 was insane.

Whiterabbit
12-17-2014, 12:37 PM
You might be surprised about how much less impact the recoil is when moving into a revolver vs shoulder-fired sporting arm.

That goes for the 45/70 class of cartridges. I have no idea what happens in a pistol when you move up to a 50AK or a 378 weatherby :)

bigbore510
12-19-2014, 08:19 AM
Looks like your post sparked a response on the singleaction.com website. Now Lee Martin decided to post some reload data for the 50 AK. Interesting huh?

starmac
12-19-2014, 12:48 PM
I can not imagine what a 50 Ak would be like with full power loads. I have wanted and still do a 45/70 bfr for some unknown reason, but the 50 ak just does not excite me. lol
This post does make me wonder what Dirty Harry would carry these days though, seems like the sky is the limit. lol

Whiterabbit
12-19-2014, 01:36 PM
Hey al,

Now that I think about it, what would it take for you to experiment on my behalf, shooting m33 ball bullets, maybe some 850 grian NOE bullets? To give me a sense of whather it's worth sending my BFR in for opening up. Goal would be to shoot those between 900 and 1200 fps and just get a general sense of what 50 yard accuracy *might* be like.

Anyways, what would it take? buy you a pound of IMR4198 (cash equivalent) and send you some bullets and boolits? Something else? Is that something you'd be interested in taking on on my behalf? Sometime next quarter or so.

44man
12-20-2014, 01:34 PM
Yeah, my friend came today, last doe day. Shot one through the heart and I found where he shot it at. He was off walking. His deer was at the back of my Polaris. I back tracked to the shot point and could not believe how far it went with such a huge blood trail, about 4X farther then my .44. My .475 and JRH drops most deer in their tracks. I lose much less meat then he does too. Last one he got was a mess.

al bundy
12-24-2014, 06:56 PM
quote : Looks like your post sparked a response on the singleaction.com website. Now Lee Martin decided to post some reload data for the 50 AK. Interesting huh?

I read some of the load data posted on Lee Martin's site. I would love to see some of those actually fired from a BFR ! I am still experimenting with greatly reduced loads and having fun plinking. Today, I shot 19.5 grains of Alliant Blue Dot with dacron filler and the 510 grain LFN plain base bullet. Averaged 1015 FPS. Still prefer the IMR 4198 but shooting 40-50 grains of it makes the supply run out fast.

44man
12-25-2014, 11:45 AM
I know Lee, we were friends and he and his dad are super gunsmiths. Lee shoots rifles that will put the fear of God in you, need to buy extra shoulders.
He might have good info for the .50. I still will not shoot smooth Bisley grips. I hate them in a .44 let alone a .50.

al bundy
12-26-2014, 10:27 AM
I really have to question anyone firing some of the upper end loads he listed from a BFR. I'd have to see it to believe it. Shooting ONE of the Grizzly 525 grain factory loads at the listed 1800 FPS was enough for me to say "way too much" I saw an earlier video of Whitworth's 50 AK DMAX being fired and I can guarantee, it was a much reduced load. The comment "not bad" was legit, it wasn't bad because it was not a factory ballistics 50 AK. The loads I have listed are shootable and I only approach the Hodgdons suggested starting loads for the 525 grain bullet of 52 grains of 4198.

44man
12-26-2014, 10:47 AM
So true that what we shoot in a revolver would pop eyeballs in a rifle. I would not like a .475 or JRH in a little lever gun. A .50 Alaskan will do all your dental work free.