PDA

View Full Version : Stand for Lee Microscope

Single Shot
02-14-2008, 04:47 PM
I once saw a stand for the lee lead hardness tester microscope on E-bay. It was made of wood an I saved the picture so I could make one.

Later I had to destructive reformat the hard drive.

Anyone have a pic or idea how to make one?

BudRow
02-17-2008, 09:38 AM
I read on a post somewhere that somebody was installing their scope in a 45 ACP die mounted in the press. They used wadding of paper or plastic to shim it firm then used the ram to focus on the the impression dent. The scope now being stable, leaves the hands free to adjust the image. I've tried it and it works pretty good. Best Wishes, Bud

Single Shot
02-17-2008, 12:47 PM
Geeze.

:holysheep You think a guy who made his own case forming dies would think of that.

Thanks for the hint.

I"ll just make a wooded plug for a die hole in a 3 hole turret and drill it to hold the scope.

That will keep the 45acp die available.

454PB
02-17-2008, 01:18 PM
I believe that was me that BudRow is referring to. When I first did it this way, I put a single later of electrician's tape around the microscope to make it fit a little tighter in the .45 ACP die. I latter removed the tape and found it easier to turn the scope as needed. The sample boolit is placed on the press ram, nose up (no shell holder), then the ram is raised until it just touches the boolit nose. The boolit can then be manuevered slightly and the microscope turned to align the measuring calibrations. It's not perfect, but way easier than trying to steady everything on the work bench.

Single Shot
02-17-2008, 01:57 PM
The directions say not to test on the nose or base.

I am going to use the V block that fits the shell holder. The same one used to make the testing dent.

Again,

Thanks for the tip.

I overlooked the obvious and this is probably why the guy is no longer listing the stands on Traitor Bay

454PB
02-17-2008, 11:26 PM
As long as you file the surface smooth, testing on the nose yields the exact same result as testing on the side, and requires less filing. I've never done the base, but I don't see why it wouldn't be the same.

leftiye
02-18-2008, 03:02 AM
Bases have spongy lead sometimes , and voids etc, also cool last (may heat treat a little), sprue cuts aren't level, and there can be low spots around sprue cuts.

Single Shot
02-18-2008, 05:47 AM
As long as you file the surface smooth, testing on the nose yields the exact same result as testing on the side, and requires less filing. I've never done the base, but I don't see why it wouldn't be the same.

Thanks.

I was going to do a comparison after I get set up but now I don't have too.

And when using RNFP I would not have to file at all.