PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Type for Glock 9 mm's

1911KY
12-04-2014, 05:23 PM
I am looking to get a bullet mold to begin casting 9 mm for my father in law and he prefers to shoot his G26 and G34. Is there a specific bullet type out there that you guys use that performs better in the Hexagonal rifling?

I have my eye on the NOE .358 124 gr TC 5 cavity PB currently, but wanted some input before I pull the trigger, as the sale ends Sunday.

Love Life
12-04-2014, 05:27 PM
Anything sized to .357 or .358, cast of WQWW or similar, and that will chamber. I prefer 124 grains.

Bohica793
12-04-2014, 06:31 PM
What LoveLife said except I prefer 147gr TC's myself. The most important thing is the sizing of the boolit to fit the bore of the pistol. I size all of mine to .358 and have no issues.

willie_pete
12-04-2014, 07:05 PM
124 TC here. I polish the ramp and can't remember a mis-feed. Works in 26,19,17,34 and 17L for me from Gen 1 to Gen 4

WP

g.man10mm
12-04-2014, 08:24 PM
I've been using the MP 357 125 and 147 no groove designs coated with Hi tek with great success in all my Glocks. My favorite conventional lubed bullet is the LBT .358 140 FN. It feeds reliably, hits with authority and is shockingly accurate out to 100 yards. It will keyhole with softer alloy, water quenching fixes this. I've loaded it to major power factor with absolutely no leading in OEM 17 and 19 barrels, when water quenched. NOE has a similar design, but the lightest I saw on the site was 160 gr.

1911KY
12-05-2014, 11:55 AM
Thanks! Looks like the .358 124 gr TC's will get the job done!

I thought about water quenching but I PC and therefore bake at 400 F, this may negate any water quenching effect that I get. So I will just add some mono or pewter to my pot when casting 9's.

Love Life
12-05-2014, 12:17 PM
Just water drop straight out of the PC oven. That's what I do with my coating. Bake at 400F for 20 minutes and water drop. My boolits make a tinking sound when they hit each other!! Shooting cast in Glock polygonal rifled barrels is every bit as easy as a traditional rifled barrel.

All the same rules apply. Correct size, correct alloy or hardness, good lube or PC/HI-TEK, etc.

Glock barrels have a very smooth internal finish due to how they are made, and the polygonal rifling is quite easy on the boolits. I consider after market barrels a step down and an easy way to throw a hundred bones in the trash. Go forward, cast, and be happy.

Oh, and load to the caliber's full potential. I see more issues with glocks using weak loads to save powder than is really necessary. Full power loads are the name of the game and should be anyway since the 9mm is a ***** cat of a rd.

I prefer 124 gr boolits and I smack them as hard as safely possible because I like to go fast!!

1911KY
12-05-2014, 12:48 PM
Sounds good to me! Thanks for the info. I went ahead and got the NOE mold! Now I need to buy myself a 9 mm! I am thinking a STI 2011 perhaps!

dudel
12-05-2014, 01:08 PM
You do know that Glocks are fussier than most due to their polygonal rifling?

Many use an aftermarket barrel that is lead friendlier. If your FIL is using an aftermarket barrel, then ignore the rest.

Others shoot lead; but are careful to check for leading more frequently. Glock can be made to shoot lead; but you need to really check lube, hardness, velocity, sizing, etc. Just lot more variables that can contribute to leading. It's one thing if you are the one shooting (easier for you to monitor), it's another thing to give this ammo to your father in law, not knowing how he's going to shoot, or how atuned he is to his Glock. It sounds like he's a bit new to them, and wants to save on ammo costs by have his SIL make him ammo.

I understand wanting to get on the good side of your FIL; but this doesn't sound like the best of situations.

As to the boolit, I like the Lee 124 gr TC, tumbled lubed with 50/50 alox/ms, over a few grains of Bullseye. FWIW, I use a Lone Wolf barrel when shooting lead.

1911KY
12-05-2014, 01:19 PM
You do know that Glocks are fussier than most due to their polygonal rifling?

Many use an aftermarket barrel that is lead friendlier. If your FIL is using an aftermarket barrel, then ignore the rest.

Others shoot lead; but are careful to check for leading more frequently. Glock can be made to shoot lead; but you need to really check lube, hardness, velocity, sizing, etc. Just lot more variables that can contribute to leading. It's one thing if you are the one shooting (easier for you to monitor), it's another thing to give this ammo to your father in law, not knowing how he's going to shoot, or how atuned he is to his Glock. It sounds like he's a bit new to them, and wants to save on ammo costs by have his SIL make him ammo.

I understand wanting to get on the good side of your FIL; but this doesn't sound like the best of situations.

As to the boolit, I like the Lee 124 gr TC, tumbled lubed with 50/50 alox/ms, over a few grains of Bullseye. FWIW, I use a Lone Wolf barrel when shooting lead.

He is definitely not new to Glocks. We shoot together at our local club where we have the range to ourselves when we go. I will be teaching him to reload, as we just bought a pair of Hornady LNL AP's. He is for sure doing it to save money but mainly because we plan to really increase the amount we are shooting.

I plan to cast a little harder bullet then what I do for my 45's. We will just have to test the 124 gr TC bullets that have been PC'd and see how they do. We will get it figured out, no worries!

fredj338
12-05-2014, 04:11 PM
Thanks! Looks like the .358 124 gr TC's will get the job done!

I thought about water quenching but I PC and therefore bake at 400 F, this may negate any water quenching effect that I get. So I will just add some mono or pewter to my pot when casting 9's.
I use a sim mold from Magma, works fine. I did swap to a LW bbl in my G17, actually shoots better/more accurate with lead. I cast with range scrap, seems to do fine, but depends on how hard you push them & what powders.

Big Steve
12-06-2014, 12:05 AM
I've had good success with the LEE 124 RNTL in my 19! Loaded as cast w/ Unique.