PDA

View Full Version : New guy from Ohio

Kyle M.
12-03-2014, 09:31 PM
Hello all I'm new to the forum and new to casting, I didn't see a introduction forum so I thought this would be as good a place as any to say hi. Anyways I'm only 24 but I've been avidly shooting since I was 11. I started reloading about 3 years ago and thought about casting several times but was always afraid that it would be a daunting task. Three weeks ago I picked up a S&W 1905 1st change .38 spl with a 5" barrel that was made in 1907, considering that I was almost out of the commercial cast bullets I had I decided what the heck and jumped in with both feet. I bought a Lee production pot IV, a Lee 6 cavity .358 158gr SWC mold, and a Lee .358 sizing die. A guy I work with quit casting about 15 years ago and he sold me 80 lbs of lyman #2 alloy for $1 a lb. I cast my first bullets last Tuesday morning, and have since cast about 40 lbs worth. I've been tumble lubing with lee liquid alox, and my old S&W seems to really like those bullets over 3.0grs of bullseye and 3.0grs of Trail Boss. I shot 150 rounds today and got no visible leading whatsoever. I'm a plinker and have never been known to shoot for groups but both loads shoot right to point of aim at about 30 feet, and I was able to put 6 shots into about 1.75" at that distance off hand which is plenty good enough for me. Now I think that I am addicted, and I plan on sticking around and learning what I can.

littlejack
12-03-2014, 10:08 PM
Hey Kyle:
Welcome to the CastBoolits.
Great place to learn and add your knowledge to. Lots of folks here that have been casting, reloading and shooting for decades.
If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask. Folks here love to help others.
Sounds like you already have a good start.
Regards
Jack

JeffG
12-03-2014, 10:12 PM
Welcome Kyle, good place to learn here.

prs
12-03-2014, 10:17 PM
Welcome Buckeye! May I suggest you begin by reading the stickies until your eyes give out. The first several posts are usually the most enlightening, but read you can. Not only will you glean the fine points, you will learn the people who post consistently reliable and useful information.

You are young, we need more young blood around here and you will find we respect and appreciate you. As you approach casting, keep safe practices first in mind, do not work when distracted, and strive for quality. Quantity will follow in good time.

prs

sigep1764
12-04-2014, 02:37 AM
From another fella named Kyle, this place will provide you not only with knowledge, but good friends as well. I could have never started casting almost a year ago without this forum and years of accumulated knowledge. Good luck.

StrawHat
12-04-2014, 07:27 AM
Another Buckeye welcome! Read the stickies, do searches and ask questions. Lot's of good information on this forum from many knowledgeable folk. I suggest keeping the loads soft in the older S&Ws. Bullseye is a fantastic powder for the 38 Special. Never used Trail Boss so can't comment.

Hickory
12-04-2014, 07:43 AM
Welcome to the form.
I'm up north aways in the swamp.
I used to see a college girl near Beaverdam 40+ years ago.
Wonder what ever happened to her?

bedbugbilly
12-04-2014, 09:22 AM
Welcome! Not a whole lot else that can be said that hasn't already! Lots of good info here and good folks!

The only thing I can add is "Smiths and cast just go together well!". That particular boolit is one of the most accurate of the designs I use in my vintage Smiths. The closest I can come to the age of your Smith is my 6" Colt Army Special with a DOB of 1910 - it too, loves that boolit! Welcome and enjoy!

PS - Would love to see a photo of your Smith!

Kyle M.
12-04-2014, 09:37 AM
Another Buckeye welcome! Read the stickies, do searches and ask questions. Lot's of good information on this forum from many knowledgeable folk. I suggest keeping the loads soft in the older S&Ws. Bullseye is a fantastic powder for the 38 Special. Never used Trail Boss so can't comment.

I tend to keep my loads on the light side anyways especially in the older guns, no need for full power rounds for plinking.

Kyle M.
12-04-2014, 09:38 AM
Welcome! Not a whole lot else that can be said that hasn't already! Lots of good info here and good folks!

The only thing I can add is "Smiths and cast just go together well!". That particular boolit is one of the most accurate of the designs I use in my vintage Smiths. The closest I can come to the age of your Smith is my 6" Colt Army Special with a DOB of 1910 - it too, loves that boolit! Welcome and enjoy!

PS - Would love to see a photo of your Smith!

I'll try to get a pic or two up this evening after I get off work.

LenH
12-04-2014, 10:19 AM
Kyle, I read a whole lot more than I post and I've been reloading and casting for 40 years. I've learned things on this forum that have changed my mind on casting with improved results.
Like others have said read the stickys, they are there for a reason lots of great information. Welcome to the insanity.

Len H.

Jal5
12-04-2014, 10:45 AM
Kyle welcome from another Buckeye! This is a good place to learn and you look like you are well on your way with that load and boolit! Watch out for the Group Buys...can get expensive but they are fine molds for sure. Joe

country gent
12-04-2014, 11:34 AM
Another Buckeye from the Black Swamp area of North west Ohio here. Welcome to the site, theres alot of good information to be gotten here and alot of friends to be made. Looking forward to hearing your progress.

Kyle M.
12-04-2014, 04:11 PM
As promised heres my S&W 1905 1st change, the two targets were shot yesterday offhand from about 30 feet. The load used was a 158gr LSWC from my Lee mold over 3.0grs of Bullseye. It's not the prettiest gun out there but shoots pretty good for a 100+ year old revolver, with a pitted bore, tiny sights, and a rather small grip.

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n626/mercurygm88/IMG_0174_zps6d5939b8.jpg (http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/mercurygm88/media/IMG_0174_zps6d5939b8.jpg.html)

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n626/mercurygm88/b49777f2-6acd-4ef5-93de-706b74d4821a_zpsa6bc9c95.jpg (http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/mercurygm88/media/b49777f2-6acd-4ef5-93de-706b74d4821a_zpsa6bc9c95.jpg.html)