PDA

View Full Version : For you roll crimpers....

Hogtamer
12-03-2014, 07:44 AM
Can you roll crimp once fired hulls that were star crimped without modification to the hull?

bikerbeans
12-03-2014, 08:18 AM
Hog,

I have and depending upon the shell the results range from real good to awful. I have had the best luck roll crimping 12ga hulls with the red winchester hulls working the best. As a side note I have not been able to roll crimp 1x fired factory slug hulls with much success.

I have had terrible luck trying to roll crimp any yellow 20ga ga star crimped hulls.

With the exception of the winchester 12ga star crimped hulls I now just buy primed hulls (20 & 24 ga) for slug loads and pitch them when I am done.

BB

turkytaker
12-03-2014, 08:24 AM
Have you ever roll crimped the Lyman 525 gr. sabot slug in any hull?

FullTang
12-03-2014, 08:55 AM
The results are usually not pretty. One thing you can do, other than cutting off the crimped portion and shortening the hull, is to use something like the BPI Spin Doctor http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Spin-Doctor-for-large-bore-10ga-to-20ga/productinfo/SPINDOC/
I use a home-made version of this, and it helps, though I prefer to use new hulls or previously roll-crimped hulls.

Hogtamer
12-03-2014, 08:56 AM
BB,
"real good to awful" summarizes most of my big lead loads! My hubel sabot loads are mostly real good but consistency of crimps I believe is the only remaining variable that remains to be rectified to make them all real good. BTW, what roll crimper do you use? And have you put one of those Ohio brute whitetails in the freezer yet? We ate the backstraps of one my son brought home from Brown county several weeks ago - so much better than these lean rascals we subsist on here in Georgia!

cpileri
12-03-2014, 12:10 PM
I'll echo the above: works from ok to awfully. Never tried a spin doctor or hull conditioner, but have been eyeballing them for awhile.
Anyone care to do a head-to-head: 10 once fired star crimped hulls -try to roll crimp them without spinning/conditioning them; then repeat w same hulls after spin doctor/conditioning? then post pics!
C-

bikerbeans
12-03-2014, 12:32 PM
Hog,

No monster but one decent buck and 3 does have found their way to my freezer. One with a xbow, one with a smokeless 45cal MZ and two with a Marlin 444s LG.

Using BPI roll crimpers.

BB

CANUCK
12-03-2014, 12:37 PM
I have a Lyman roll crimper and have tried just about every hull out there without any conditioning/trimming and found ridged sided hulls (as opposed to smooth sided hulls) gave me the best results.
My best turnouts were from using Remington Gun Club hulls (and a black similar) without conditioning or trimming to the crimp area.

I found the folded crimp area of the Gun Club hulls to be softer/more flexible than other hulls so perhaps this helped to roll crimp better.

Hogtamer
12-03-2014, 08:06 PM
Good info all, thanks.

NoAngel
12-03-2014, 08:10 PM
BPI has primed Rio hulls for $8.99 per hundred. Reusing old hulls are hardly worth it.

Hogtamer
12-03-2014, 09:27 PM
Got a couple thousand hulls for free w/no shipping. kinda dumb to buy more. Canuck's look pretty good to me.

CANUCK
12-04-2014, 12:31 AM
For me in Canada primed hulls are very difficult (if at all) to find and are not allowed to be shipped by mail.
Courier rates are very high and would make it impractical for me.

chambers
12-04-2014, 07:12 PM
I have roll crimped many Winchester AA hulls with the Lyman 525 slug, I used the old style hand roll crimper assembly tool it works pretty good. I have several that are very old but work great for purpose.

WRideout
12-04-2014, 11:14 PM
I have scant experience with roll crimping; maybe 60 ea 12 ga rounds. FWIW, I was using many times reloaded blue Peters cases. At first I trimmed them 1/8 in before roll crimping with the BPI steel crimper. After a while, I tried some without trimming, and it seemed to work just fine.

Wayne