PDA

View Full Version : somebody lost a sale today .......

Jack Stanley
12-02-2014, 08:29 PM
My pal and I went cruising around a few gun shops today . Before I had even got to the first shop ( about an hour from home ) I got a call from my beloved giving me specific orders to "Buy a gun for your Christmas present" :shock: Well ummm.... OK honey if you say so .

So when I got to the first shop I started looking at everything just like normal and working my way over to the gun racks in "Grogans surplus shop" ( not the real name but you guys on the west side of the state know who I'm talking about ) But the first part of my tour in that shop was through the reloading department and what to my wondering eyes did I behold ? ......... times up ! It as a three pound can of Winchester 571 , which if I remember right was the same thing as Hogdons HS-7 Well , maybe I can find a use for that .

Finally made it over to the gun piles ... What? you've never seen a store that stores their new guns and surplus guns in the same pile ? Stop at "Grogans" ( again not the real name to protect the guilty ) At one of the piles my driver is looking at some of the short action Ruger 77 type rifles . Pistol cartridge length if that clears it up any , sorry to confuse I don't follow Ruger all that much , their fault not mine and I'll get into that if you want ...... and maybe if you don't want anyway ;-)
He had found a model 77/44 , blued steel and a at least nice walnut stock . I say at least though I held it long enough admiring the wood that I think I left only one drop of drool on it . Three or five drops would have constituted a very nice stock . My driver isn't all that hard to please , he was more concerned with the wood to metal fit and did everything work right on it . Since it looked all in order and the thought of late doe season coming up it was more than he could bear and he caved in to the pressure . later I found out his wife had given him an envelope of "fun" money to use with orders similar to the ones I got . ....... I dunno maybe it was something in the water today :oops:

I've been wanting a twenty-two magnum for several years now I had bought a Savage 93GL that did not work out . They had another 93GL in the rack and I didn't want to roll the dice again so I kept on moving . A couple years ago this same shop had a laminated stock Ruger I would have bought had the bolt been made for left hand shooters . So Ruger hasn't made any progress in that field for two years now and that's sad . It would have been my first Ruger in over twenty years but they are not alone in not providing a product for lefties . CZ has been without a twenty-two magnum for way to long also . The shop had several CZ products of the rim fire lineup , even had a couple lefties .... in twenty-two LR ! But no magnums new or used .

What is a fella to do ? And who lost the sale ? Well as I was walking around the piles of guns , I came across a couple of odd looking guns with the bolt sticking straight out the side ....... the left side :shock: huh? whutzis? It's chambered for twenty-two magnum ... yeah tell me more ...... Works like a Swiss K-31 sorta ....... got a Browning sticker on the barrel . Well ain't that something! a brand new Browning T-bolt with only three or four minor nicks from the pile of guns ( you'd really think they'd treat the new guns better) .

So with a swipe of the VISA card Ruger and CZ lost the chance for a sale ...... unless of course this Browning has a rim blow out that wrecks it like the Savage I had . As long as it shoots well I think I got what I want . To bad too , I really wanted a CZ .

Jack

starmac
12-03-2014, 01:42 AM
I wish my 22 mag tbolt had the bolt on the right side. lol I understand even the leftys eject the brass on the right side, is that right?

Jack Stanley
12-03-2014, 10:16 AM
Yes , the bolt is on the left the ejection port is on the right like the Remington 788 rifles of old . It's not unreasonable for a rifle costing this much to have the ejection port on the left I don't think .

I'll try to get outside and run a few rounds with it and see if it's worth the money .

Jack

leadman
12-03-2014, 10:26 PM
For shooting off the bench I prefer left hand bolt and right hand ejection. I single load alot and like to catch my brass when ejecting it.

I was wondering about the Savage 22 mag. I have a left hand in 17 HMR that functions perfect and is very accurate. I do miss my Remington 788 LH in 308. I still have the 581 LH that was a look alike to the 788.
Have an older Savage 110 LH in 30-06 that is great.

OP is gonit to have to post some pictures of the groups with his new gun. After Christmas of course.

Jack Stanley
12-04-2014, 10:27 AM
Having it eject to the right is not a huge deal , it just seems that if Savage can make the Axis left hand eject and still make money on the deal perhaps Browning would have a few tricks up the sleeve . At one time I had three left hand 788 rifles , two were thirty caliber and the other a six millimeter . I also had a left hand 581 and of all the guns I have sold that is one that I wish I had kept . Not that is is better than my Kimber twenty-two , I just really liked it . I regret my ignorance in selling it .

I did get it sighted in yesterday using Federal full metal jacket ammo . I'm pleased with the groups and the trigger . The whole package would look nicer had they grooved the receiver for scope rings . Instead the weaver mounts and that system of attachment looks big for the size of the receiver . Either Warne or Talley rim fire rings and grooved receiver would be better .

It works and shoots well so I guess I can't be to mad at it .

Jack

Tackleberry41
12-10-2014, 05:44 PM
I have kind of stuck with savage due to the fact so many of their rifles can be had in lefty. Given a choice in a bolt gun I will opt for one with the handle on the 'wrong' side. Semi autos, never really had an issue. Its working the bolt, reaching over the top I dont like. Loading, ejection, not really an issue to me, just that bolt. At the time I was in the market for a 300 win mag, I was wide open on brand at the time, but wanting that left bolt really narrowed the window. Few of Remingtons rifles come that way or Ruger. Had a Ruger #1 as it was ambidextrious, but overly heavy for its length and not really a long range target rifle.

I know its not a big market, same thing when I was playing guitar. Tho guitars you had a choice of cheap junk or horribly expensive, almost nothing in the middle for some reason. Some brands didnt bother at all.

Jack Stanley
12-10-2014, 11:50 PM
It would be nice to see more in the middle but I rather doubt those capable will begin production any time soon :-( The old Remington 581 could be resurrected and I would likely buy another lefty in that line . But I think I stand a better chance of seeing CZ make left hand 22 magnums before Remington will .

I fell to the weakness again and bought a CZ 452 left hand in 22LR , Neat rifle ;-)

Jack

starmac
12-14-2014, 04:09 PM
Somebody lost a sale, but on the other hand somebody made a sale, for the very same reason. lol
The last gun show I went to, I was not looking for a 22, didn't need another 22, and had no intentions of getting another 22. A guy just happened to have a new savage lefty at a decent price, so just because it was a lefty someone made a sale in my case, anyway. lol

Jack Stanley
12-15-2014, 10:45 PM
A few years ago I had that "problem" there were five of six twenty-two rifles that stuck to me over the course of one year . I even fired over seven thousand rounds of ammo giving them a shakedown cruise .

While I like the T-bolt these Weaver bases and ring look tacky I'd like to replace them with something a little more proportioned to the tiny receiver . I saw a picture of Tally bases but not on a T-bolt .... anybody ever put Tally bases on such a beast ? I have Talley rings on my Kimber Rim fire and like them but that receiver is grooved .

Thanks for any info , Jack

Whiterabbit
12-16-2014, 02:19 AM
I just bought a CZ455. if I want it in 22 magnum alls I need to do is hop on the CZ website and buy the barrel for $175 and it arrives at my door. Same with 17hmr.

Jack Stanley
12-16-2014, 06:47 PM
Whiterabbit , I think for a left hand action , one would need to buy a 455 in seventeen HMR then , like you say buy an extra barrel . I'm not sure that's how it works but I think I understand what you are saying . Then again do they even make the 455 in left hand yet ?

Jack

Whiterabbit
12-16-2014, 07:42 PM
Here is a video of the barrel change. 22LR goes to HMR or mag, there's a spacer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7-eHWcvT8NA

no lefthand model though. Though google tells me England has a 455 available with a left hand thumbhole stock (but right bolt???)

Jack Stanley
12-16-2014, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the video , it sure looks easy enough and maybe one of these days they will make some with the bolt on the left side . Now THAT will be the day of temptation for me !! Until then I intend to see what this Browning can do . I'm looking into some Tally bases and rings for it , currently my Leupold Rim fire scope is sitting in Weaver equipment and the bases are nearly as wide as the receiver is . It does shoot rather well though so far .

Jack

Bullshop Junior
12-17-2014, 01:07 AM
I'm sitting here scratching my head wondering how anyone could dislike ruger.