PDA

View Full Version : RUGER fails again

rintinglen
12-02-2014, 08:10 PM
I am so angry I could spit. My 308 Ruger American won't chamber a factory 308 round. It would seem as though they installed a short chambered barrel and never got around to finish reaming the chamber. Ruger QC seems to be non-existent at this point. I just got my Single Seven back from having it repaired. Last year I had to send in my New Vaquero. Right now Ruger is batting .400 with me. 3 of the last five Rugers that I have purchased have been defective. This one takes the cake.

smoked turkey
12-02-2014, 11:43 PM
Boy that does take the cake. I can understand your frustration. What you describe is so unlike Ruger quality and I hope their customer service is really good as it usually is. Keep us informed. I know they have been blowing the doors off with sales going through the roof. I hate to think the hurry hurry rush rush is making them slack off on quality control.

lefty o
12-03-2014, 04:21 AM
your not the only one who feels that way. im a long time ruger fan, but i wont buy another.

Jack Stanley
12-03-2014, 10:11 AM
Awww .... c'mon fellas , haven't you ever heard the Ruger is the best factory assembled do-it-yourself kit for the money ? (though some Savage rifles may be trying for the title ;-) )

I'm sorry to hear of your problem though I hope they fix it rather than send the letter that says " It is within our specifications .......... "

Jack

DougGuy
12-03-2014, 10:39 AM
How did they test fire it? Drop powder down the barrel? :kidding:

fouronesix
12-03-2014, 12:34 PM
It can happen to most any manufacturer- but I've not been a Ruger fan for a long time. The latest interation of cheap bolt guns by several manufacturers is bound to yield some QC problems. I was a naive optimist at a younger age back in the late 70s. Had it happen twice with Ruger 77s. First one had an off center reamed chamber with a short neck- grossly over pressured even mild loads. Forget any kind of accuracy. A couple of years later, still a young naive optimist, bought another new 77. The chamber neck was at least 50 thou too large so accuracy was minute of target backer. Fool me once…. errrra, fool me once- two different times.

Haven't owned a Ruger bolt gun since. Have owned a couple of used cheepos since- one a Ruger BH single action- nothing to write home about. Ditto for one 10-22. Sold both to those who are on the Ruger BH and 10-22 koolaid.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-03-2014, 01:32 PM
Then on the other hand, -------------

I have a house full of RUGERS and it is the direction I look first.

Been that way since the very early 60s.

Sorry for problems, but they are not typical of RUGER.

I have 5 RUGER rifles and all are excellent and half a dozen + short pieces. All get B+ or better. Some would get A++.

Then again, when to dinner with another couple a few times way back, and Marge ALWAYS found fault with something.

NOT inferring that you are a, "Marge" but I know some folk that are.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

jmort
12-03-2014, 01:47 PM
" Sold both to those who are on the Ruger BH and 10-22 koolaid."

Ruger really blew it with the Blackhawk and 10-22. Not. You are trolling or kidding, right?

M-Tecs
12-03-2014, 02:42 PM
A couple of years ago a buddy went on a horse back Elk hunt. It was a half day ride into base camp. He purchased two boxes of premium ammo (8mm Rem. Mag.). He sighted in with the part of the first box. He only took the second full box with on the horse. When he got to base camp he went to load the rifle. The second box would not chamber. He had to go back to get the partial box he left in the truck. Not a happy camper. In his case it was an ammo issue with the second box.

Hardcast416taylor
12-03-2014, 03:00 PM
A couple of years ago a buddy went on a horse back Elk hunt. It was a half day ride into base camp. He purchased two boxes of premium ammo (8mm Rem. Mag.). He sighted in with the part of the first box. He only took the second full box with on the horse. When he got to base camp he went to load the rifle. The second box would not chamber. He had to go back to get the partial box he left in the truck. Not a happy camper. In his case it was an ammo issue with the second box.

Your buddy here in this case violated the primary rule about hunting...try cycling all ammunition you plan on taking on a hunt through your rifle first. Doesn`t matter if it was store bought or handloads, first try running them through your firearm.Robert

6pt-sika
12-03-2014, 03:45 PM
I have I think 18 Rugers at the moment 16 are #1's and only two of those were made even remotely recent . The other two are a 44R carbine from the mid 70's and Single Six from the very early 60's. I have no problems with any of them and would actually consider a new #1 if they chambered it for something I really wanted . As to the rest of their products , it just ain't happening for me .

fouronesix
12-03-2014, 06:54 PM
" Sold both to those who are on the Ruger BH and 10-22 koolaid."

Ruger really blew it with the Blackhawk and 10-22. Not. You are trolling or kidding, right?

Did I say Ruger really blew it with those two models?? Don't fill in words that weren't posted.

After all, Ruger sells a pazillion of them to the masses. They are relatively cheap guns that usually go bang when the trigger is pulled. I don't worship at the throne of Ruger.

rintinglen
12-03-2014, 07:18 PM
I am not anti-Ruger, but I will definitely declare their QC is for **** these days. I have been buying them for decades and generally have had no problems and have had a dozen or more over the years. But three of the last five ended up going back to the factory. I bought a Single Seven that ended up going back to the factory just last month. A new Vaquero went back last year for cylinder throat issues. I'm not a cry baby-Minor stuff I'll cheerfully take care of, I stoned out the loading gate on the single seven to fix that problem. But these problems, guns that you can't even load, base pin pulling out every third shot, sheesh. I got an RMA so the American is going back. FWIW, it would not chamber any of the 3 types of Ammo I had, factory Federal, 7.62 LC, or handloads. But it will chamber a dummy round--of 300 savage. To quote the Wicked Witch, what a world.

high standard 40
12-03-2014, 07:31 PM
I have a Ruger American in 308. It has been fed nothing but handloads so I can't say if it will chamber factory ammo or not. I will say that my first attempts to load ammo would not chamber after full length sizing, this with once fired brass from another rifle. I set my sizing die so that the press would "cam over" and still they would not chamber. I had to mill off a few thousanths from my shell holder to get the case sized enough to chamber. I blamed this on my use of the brass originally fired in a different rifle by your experience has me thinking otherwise now.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-03-2014, 07:36 PM
Although not common, it does happen that brass will not fit a given chamber.

If dealing with RCBS, send then the sizing die, three cases - as I recall - fired in the problem chamber and un-sized and RCBS will return to you a die that will size the brass for that chamber.

It is FAR more common for dies to over size brass.

They don't care what the firearms brand is. It happens.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

35remington
12-03-2014, 07:48 PM
fouronesix, you have to admit there's quite a bit of snark in "to those who are on the BH and 10/22 koolaid." The insinuation you made there is that Ruger buyers are a bunch of sheep following some leader who is interested in making them drink a Guyana Grape Fizz, and wouldn't know a decent firearm from a poor one.

Those two models are excellent firearms that go bang way, way, way more often than "usually" when the trigger is pulled. "Usually" didn't warrant your use of italics and all the insinuation that carries with it.

You're flailing about a little more than you need to with your ire when you attack other models owned by other individuals. The two you mention qualify as two of the most successful firearms ever made. Having an opinion that's in the minority.....makes it a minority opinion.

Fortunately, firearm manufacturers get it right the vast majority of the time or they would go out of business. The fact that most are still operating indicates they do get it right most of the time.

The time to get riled up is when you deal with customer service. I've had most manufacturers get something wrong at one time or another. The ones that got repeat business were the ones that fessed up to their mistakes, took charge on the repairs, and paid for what they needed to pay for.

Good Luck.

JSnover
12-03-2014, 08:18 PM
I own two 10-22s, a rifle and a carbine, manufactured about twenty years apart. Overall quality and reliability have been great. I'd buy another... except that I just don't need a third.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-03-2014, 08:29 PM
Well said 35 Remington!

CDOC

Jack Stanley
12-03-2014, 09:52 PM
My pal bought one of the new 77/44 models the other day . It LOOKED really nice but the proof is in the shooting . Attractive wood to metal fit looked ok , I haven't bought a new Ruger in years but if it would have been left handed ......... I got good Rugers and have had bum ones , just enough to keep me cautious . I will be interested to see how my pals new stubby forty-four does .

Jack

upnorthwis
12-03-2014, 10:48 PM
I've had a brand new Browning Citori that wouldn't go bang and a Mark X action that wouldn't chamber rounds. Having worked in manufacturing for 40 years, it happens. But I consider my four Ruger BH's to be the most dependable of all.

shoot-n-lead
12-03-2014, 11:01 PM
My suggestion to you is to just look elsewhere for your future guns.

I have been pleased with my Rugers, but some other brands...not so much. So, the other brands are no longer considered when I am shopping for guns.

You know what they say about insanity...repeating the same process over and over...all the while, expecting a different result.

Uncle R.
12-03-2014, 11:35 PM
I still own many Ruger handguns and I still consider them the Chevy Impala of firearms. Practical, reliable, reasonably accurate (sometimes better than just reasonably) and moderately priced. Their single actions are very nice looking guns, their double action wheel guns perhaps not quite so nice, and their center fire autos are - uh - visually challenged to a great degree but all have been reliable, strong, decent shooting guns in my experience.

I've owned several Ruger center fire rifles and they delivered accuracy ranging from mildly disappointing to yuck. Even so, all were solid and reliable in function.

Ruger firearms that flat don't work right out of the box are a new thing to me and a strong indicator of sloppy QA policies. I sure hope this isn't indicative of a long-term trend. It would be a shame to have one of the greatest American firearm manufacturers that ever existed go down the tubes on quality as so many others have in the past.

Uncle R.

runfiverun
12-04-2014, 11:12 AM
wanna sell it?

most of my gun problems have centered around Remington brand rifles and shotguns.
it's been everything from only being able to get 1-1/2" groups, to parts just falling off [870 mag] or flying off them [11-87] never to be seen again.
I do not have any luck with them [outside of a model 32 trap gun, and a factory goofed up 220 swift adl that come in a bdl stock] they have all been junk. [err cheaply made]
the shotgun with the bent to the left barrel was quite a novelty for a while, as was the one that was bent downwards and shot under everything past 10' away.

dtknowles
12-04-2014, 01:16 PM
I have a number of Rugers and find them a good value. Two .22 MK II pistols both are excellent. One Single Six that had QC issues the grip frame was poorly fitted to the frame and the LR cylinder sn did not match the gun. It shot fine and I fixed the grip frame fit problem. I had a .357 new model Blackhawk that I never should have sold. It was an accurate, solid, dependable gun. I have three Ruger rifles, #3, M77 and 10-22. Nothing wrong with them always function properly, look OK and are passably accurate.

Tim

WILCO
12-04-2014, 01:26 PM
I am so angry I could spit. My 308 Ruger American won't chamber a factory 308 round. It would seem as though they installed a short chambered barrel and never got around to finish reaming the chamber.

Any word from Ruger on this issue?

rintinglen
12-04-2014, 01:53 PM
It just got sent out yesterday on their dime. Based on past experience, I fully expect them to make it right. If this was the first time I'd run into a problem with a new Ruger, I'd have no complaints--stuff happens and nobody hits a home run every at bat--but I have had problems requiring their attention with 3 of the last 5 Rugers that I bought.
The LCP and the 44 Special Flattop have been good from the get-go, the Flattop especially so, but the Bisley New Vaquero had over-size throats, the Single Seven kept trying to upchuck the base pin, and now this Rifle with it's unfinished chamber. It didn't use to be this way.

Between 1971 and 2011 I bought at least 10 Rugers. Most of them only lingered for a while before being traded off or sold, but I still have the 10-22 I bought first, as well as my first Vaquero. Everyone was at least functional. Oh the Ruger Mini-14 was a disappointment accuracy wise, as was the 30-06, but for the most part, they were sound, solid fire arms and all of them worked. Some of them spectacularly well--I was a fool to sell that 1st Redhawk, and the Mark II heavy barrel target was another gem that I should have kept.
What has happened in the last couple of years? Was I just lucky then, just unlucky now, or both? I have a second Single Seven currently in gun purgatory as I wait out the ten day waiting period, but I have to say I am more apprehensive, than excited. What is going to be wrong with that one?

W.R.Buchanan
12-04-2014, 08:08 PM
I am curious,, Exactly which brand of Factory Ammo wouldn't chamber? Did you try another brand?

The problems I've seen with factory ammo lately have made me glad I handload just about everything.

Randy

wv109323
12-04-2014, 09:12 PM
I had a beautiful No.1V in 25/06. I could never get the rifle to group. I still have partial boxes of 25 cal. bullets and powders from that experience and that was 25+ years ago.

Jack Stanley
12-04-2014, 11:56 PM
I think the number one rifles are some of the most handsome single shots I've ever seen . Every time I start getting the urge to buy one I always remember the trouble I had with the number three I had and the urge goes away . Still , some of the number ones are pretty .

Jack

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-05-2014, 01:42 PM
And then, there is the Ol'Coot who has never had a problem getting a #1 to shoot and shoot well.

Wish I had every one of them back in my rack! Except of course the two that have passed to a son, one of which has now passed to a Grand Daughter.

Me and my RUGER #1s - 45/70 are happy campers!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

MarkP
12-05-2014, 02:17 PM
I am so angry I could spit. My 308 Ruger American won't chamber a factory 308 round. It would seem as though they installed a short chambered barrel and never got around to finish reaming the chamber. Ruger QC seems to be non-existent at this point. I just got my Single Seven back from having it repaired. Last year I had to send in my New Vaquero. Right now Ruger is batting .400 with me. 3 of the last five Rugers that I have purchased have been defective. This one takes the cake.

You need to isolate the problem and determine if it is the chamber or the ammo and send the defective item back to the mfg with a detailed letter. (I realize this is very frustrating and the consumer should not need to perform this procedure) The Ruger should have been fired with proof rounds before leaving the factory. Try marking the brass with a black marker and re-chamber the round, remove and look for interference / contact points. This will give you an idea of where the interference is and if it is diametral clearance or length issue.

Since 308's are very common borrow a loaded round and see if it will chamber. Cartridges should be mfg'd below SAMMI max cartridge dimensions (usually towards lower end of tolerance) and chambers should be above SAMMI minimum chamber dimensions.

Good Luck.

Nrut
12-06-2014, 01:19 AM
Strange..
I have bought 6 RAR's since April and every one of them had been test fired..

How do you suppose they test fired yours if it won't chamber a round?

HawkCreek
12-06-2014, 02:25 AM
Over a decade ago my first NIB Remington wouldn't chamber a .30-06 round. Came to find out it was chambered in .270 (dont remember what the barrel said but the box definitely said .30-06 and the serial number matched). Took it back and exchanged it no problem. Remington has had two big recalls since then yet I've continued to add them to the stable. Point is every company has problems now and then. Sorry to hear you've had all the "luck" in getting the lemons.

My most accurate gun is a .308 Ruger.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-06-2014, 01:13 PM
And I have no idea just how accurate my RUGER American in 30/06 might be!

Reason??? Well my first test series produced a group well below an inch at 100yds and I simply quit testing, other then verifying that load a number of times.

What's not to like with a rifle in that price range preforming at that level?

I have thought about testing just to see how small I could get the groups, but it is, after all, a hunting rifle.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

W.R.Buchanan
12-06-2014, 01:51 PM
I got no answer to my question? Exactly which factory ammo were you using and did you try other brands?

Randy

scb
12-06-2014, 03:22 PM
I got no answer to my question? Exactly which factory ammo were you using and did you try other brands?

Randy
Randy's question is an spot on. I would assume the OP is going to reload for this rifle (seeing that this a reloading oriented web sight). If the factory ammo wouldn't chamber then I'd try a FL or preferably a SB sized case. If the sized case wouldn't chamber either then I'd say OK you've more than likely have a issue with the chamber. One has to remember there's a lot of garbage ammo hitting the shelves too and I'd be more suspicious of that. And no I'm not a Ruger apologist , I've had my fair share of issues with Rugers too.

dtknowles
12-06-2014, 10:42 PM
Randy's question is an spot on. I would assume the OP is going to reload for this rifle (seeing that this a reloading oriented web sight). If the factory ammo wouldn't chamber then I'd try a FL or preferably a SB sized case. If the sized case wouldn't chamber either then I'd say OK you've more than likely have a issue with the chamber. One has to remember there's a lot of garbage ammo hitting the shelves too and I'd be more suspicious of that. And no I'm not a Ruger apologist , I've had my fair share of issues with Rugers too.

The OP did post the ammo he tried, I think is was post 13. He tried Federal, Lake City and reloads. I have not seen this question asked so here it goes, could it be the caliber is mismarked, maybe its a 7mm 08 or a 260. That would sort of explain how it could have been proof tested and how the 300 savage case chambered.

Tim

fatnhappy
12-07-2014, 11:29 AM
A .300 savage case will not chamber in a 7-08, and therefore by extension a .260, as that neck is even smaller. I know this because I have both the savage and 7-08 on hand right here. I form .300 savage cases out of 7-08, which will not entirely clean up the 7mm neck. It needs to be expanded to 30 cal.

I do this so my savage brass isn't marked with a .308 headstamp and inadvertently used as such.

Back to the original post, you have a right to be ticked off. If I'm not mistaken Blammer had exactly the same problem with a RAR 7-08. Send it back. Ruger will make it right.

Well, I found Blammer's thread on the same subject.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?234465-Ruger-American-in-7-08

rintinglen
12-07-2014, 10:45 PM
In addition to trying the 7.62, Federal, and My own reload, I also took an empty R - P case and resized it as much as I could, with the shell holder making full contact with the sizing die. The shoulder was moved Back a smidge compared to the round I had loaded conventionally. The bolt would not close on that case either. I used a 300 Savage Round, merely out of curiosity, since I don't have a set of chamber gauges for the 308. The shoulder on a SAAMI spec 300 Savage Round is just about .03" inches shorter than that of the 308. The fact that I could close the bolt on the Savage round told me that it was the cartridge case that was holding open the bolt. I did not attempt to test fire my "300". The barrel was clearly marked "308" and was 30 caliber. The ****ing thing was short chambered, not miss-stamped, not another caliber. The chamber was almost certainly not finish reamed, or else the reamer was withdrawn too soon. Or maybe it was supposed to be a 30 TC.
Anyway, the rifle is in Ruger's hands, awaiting repair. And I am still frosted. They promise me a test target after repairs are complete. If I get it, I'll post a picture of it.

rintinglen
12-11-2014, 03:29 PM
To: ghoglin@hotmail.com
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 13:06:46 -0500
Subject: rma 344738

Good afternoon-

"We are sending this email in regards to the AMERICAN serial number 692-7650 that was sent into us for service. Our technicians found this firearm needs to be replaced. We would like to offer you a new rifle of the same model at no charge. We will need a dealer for the transfer of the replacement firearm. Ways to get in contact with us are listed within this email. Thank you and have a nice day."

This is the e-mail I received yesterday. I called Ms Brown to discuss this matter. I am an un-happy camper. Extremely so. I strongly urge anyone buying one of these to take a dummy round with you and test the feeding and chambering of the firearm before taking delivery. Save yourself some grief. I will not be buying any more Rugers in the foreseeable future. They have great customer service but you need it.

AggieEE
12-11-2014, 03:51 PM
The last Ruger I bought was a LCP works great and is very accurate for what it is, 1.5" group at 10yds offhand. I have a Ruger 77 in .280. I was shooting it and noticed tht I was getting two groups that were shifting left/right. I found some bad wood in the stock. No real heartburn as bod wood happens. The rifle is a 1.5" gun but it will do it all day everyday with almost any ammo so for a hunting gun its not too bad.

rintinglen
12-11-2014, 04:09 PM
My LCP also works. My 44 Special BH is wonderfully accurate. But my Vaquero 45 Bisley had grossly over sized throats, My Single Seven had to have the loading gate opened and the cylinder pin replaced, now this.

For every happy customer, I'm glad you are satisfied.

I am not. I can not, based solely on my experience, recommend Ruger products at this time. Your experience may be altogether different than mine. But if it is not, don't say no one warned you.

altheating
12-11-2014, 04:13 PM
From the 4th till the 9th and your getting a new rifle. Yea, it probably shouldn't have passed inspection and gone out the door. But it does happen. To be getting a new rifle in that short or time frame, I think you done good! It could be a Remington and be gone for months for a trigger job. Try buying a new car now days. Buy the time you make the first payment there is usually a recall or two.

rintinglen
12-12-2014, 12:52 AM
Yeah, I'm getting ANOTHER new rifle, another 10 day wait after the gun arrives, another 35 bucks to register it, when 10 minutes with a pull through finish reamer would have fixed the problem. Their customer service is dandy. Too bad that I so often need it.

But I saved 30 bucks--The dealer who agreed to take delivery for me had recently sent a copy of his FFL back to them for another customer with the same problem.

W.R.Buchanan
12-12-2014, 02:46 PM
Luckily the 10 day wait should be going away very soon. Kamala has had her 180 day opportunity to change the policy and hasn't done squat.

The new policy will be one background check and 10 day wait and after that You pay and walk with your new gun.

This is the way "Law Abiding Citizens" should be treated.

Sorry about your bad luck on your gun.

Randy

scb
12-12-2014, 03:41 PM
Yea, it probably shouldn't have passed inspection and gone out the door. Gee you think
But it does happen. It sure as hell shouldn't
To be getting a new rifle in that short or time frame, I think you done good! After all the problem could have been such that your widow might have been sending the lawyers after them instead. I'm pretty sure Ruger can trace back and see who personally was responsible for this and he should be fired, along with his supervisor and his supervisors supervisor. This is absolutely inexcusable. There are a lot of things that can happen in manufacturing firearms. Improper headspace, improper heat treating, un-heat treated parts, missing parts, and the list goes on and on. Proof testing is suppose to be the last step in order to catch things that might make a gun a hazard to the person shooting it. Obviously this one wasn't if it won't chamber a round. I'd really like to know if it had been stamped with the proof mark.

fouronesix
12-12-2014, 04:34 PM
fouronesix, you have to admit there's quite a bit of snark in "to those who are on the BH and 10/22 koolaid." The insinuation you made there is that Ruger buyers are a bunch of sheep following some leader who is interested in making them drink a Guyana Grape Fizz, and wouldn't know a decent firearm from a poor one.

Those two models are excellent firearms that go bang way, way, way more often than "usually" when the trigger is pulled. "Usually" didn't warrant your use of italics and all the insinuation that carries with it.

You're flailing about a little more than you need to with your ire when you attack other models owned by other individuals. The two you mention qualify as two of the most successful firearms ever made. Having an opinion that's in the minority.....makes it a minority opinion.

Fortunately, firearm manufacturers get it right the vast majority of the time or they would go out of business. The fact that most are still operating indicates they do get it right most of the time.

The time to get riled up is when you deal with customer service. I've had most manufacturers get something wrong at one time or another. The ones that got repeat business were the ones that fessed up to their mistakes, took charge on the repairs, and paid for what they needed to pay for.

Good Luck.

Nope just my experience with them. They are cheap (erraa inexpsensive). The BH is the least expensive of practically all the single actions. They go bang and are functional. That's about all I can say about them. Tear one apart and ughh- really nothing special. Many have to be worked on to be accurate. They look "cowboyish" so fill the need for that anachronism at a lower price point. The 10-22s are also cheap (errraa inexpensive). They usually go bang but not always. They are usually not all that accurate out of the box. But hey they fill a niche for the kids to rip though a magazine full of ammo in no time- maybe a little rattle battle tactical AR anachronism for the 22rf shooters. The only accurate ones I've shot have had money thrown at them to get them to shoot well and that can be up to $2500!!! So no, Ruger didn't make a mistake in making the BH or 10-22 or (fill in the gun)- they've sold a pazillion of them. They are what they are- filling a large market niche which is inexpensive guns for the masses. Sorry, I still don't worship at the throne of Ruger nor any other brand for that matter.

Human nature is what it is. "I bought it, it's mine- therefore it's the best, most reliable and the most accurate "tack driver" there is".

nekshot
12-12-2014, 05:40 PM
upsetting yes, BUT they are making it right. Come on guys, with the economy, Obama Care and employers not knowing what ding bat regs the oval office will dump on them, buying materials in this messed up world, a lot of anti- gun folk and lawyers looking over your shoulder I am surprised ANY gun manufacterer stays in business or even has vision to get bigger.

Jim_P
12-21-2014, 07:15 PM
10 Day Waiting Period for a hunting rifle? For any weapon? What the 'H' 'E' Double toothpicks is that? I can go buy any gun of my choosing and take it home that moment. Online background check, and that's all. Did so on Thursday (it was a Ruger M77 Tang Safety .308 Winchester with Heavy Barrel). Done the same with a Sig Sauer 226 and a S&W Shield.

This is my second Ruger M77 Tang Safety rifle. The other one, a 7mm Rem Mag will drive tacks at 200 Yards where I stop being able to do my part. And that's with the sporter barrel.

Gawd I'm glad I don't live on the left coast!

By the way, what's "Gun Registration"?

Sorry, Up hear they take "Live Free or Die" very seriously. Even the Democrats are somewhat right of left...

rintinglen
12-22-2014, 11:51 AM
You have my envy. California has had waiting periods for handguns for over 50 years. Rifles and shotguns got added to the wait in the 90's. We have plenty of ignorant lefties who are perfectly willing to inconvenience the lawful on the off-chance that they may someday delay an evil person from behaving badly.

I'm still waiting for a e-mail advising me as to when I will be shipped the replacement...

FLHTC
12-23-2014, 09:56 AM
Many of Ruger's Old Guard have retired and with them went their work ethic and expertise. It doesn't get any more complicated than that.

dubber123
12-23-2014, 10:03 PM
I got 3 lemon Rugers in a row. I was furious. I refused to buy anything Ruger made for at least 10 years. Recently I have picked up a few, and they have ranged from very good, to exceptional. I understand your feelings, I have been there.

Jim_P
12-23-2014, 10:41 PM
You have my envy. California has had waiting periods for handguns for over 50 years. Rifles and shotguns got added to the wait in the 90's. We have plenty of ignorant lefties who are perfectly willing to inconvenience the lawful on the off-chance that they may someday delay an evil person from behaving badly.

I'm still waiting for a e-mail advising me as to when I will be shipped the replacement...

I spent two years in Purgatory known as the Santa Clara valley after two years in Colorado (Military career). I was glad of my early release ;) During my sentence in Californis I recall Diane (anything but) Feinstein as one of the San Fran politicos who's extreme leftism left me wonder just who the heck was electing her? And it only got worse!!!

I feel for the rest of the country. The state just to the left of this one (I call it the West Coast - of the Connecticut River) is one of the last places you can see the wild hippie in their natural habitat. Vermont. But surprisingly, they have some of the most liberal gun laws in the nation! Right to carry, no reg., easy background check on purchase, no wait. If it weren't for the hippies, the right and the taxes, I might want to live there. We have a joke about Vermont: what's the difference between a lesbian in Vermont and a Moose? One wears a flannel shirt.

I believe NH strikes a good balance. It's a "Shall Issue" CCW state and the cost is a reasonable $10 for 4 years (for residents). No test, no classes, no nothing except a fairly clean record (not a felon, mental defect (their vocabulary) or a wife beater (my vocabulary)). Nicest part is there is no central registry of who has permits. All records are kept in the issuing office which is the local police or selectmen (town council) office. The actual permit has the distinction of being called "a hall pass" as that is what it resembles. A slip of paper. No picture. Just two signatures. The issuer and mine.

But hey, this is just between us two right? We're trying to keep NH a secret (like no sales or income tax and property taxes about the same as surrounding states).

I also live north of a state with the most draconian gun laws. The only thing they haven't required for a permit is your first born or a hockey player to be named later.

If ya can deal with the snow. Worry about deer and moose and the occasional black bear running in front of your car at dusk and dawn, like cheap Maple Syrup for your Pancakes and don't mind affordable Lobster, New Hampsta ain't a bad place.

Aaa-yup... Don'tcha know!

:)

Lloyd Smale
12-24-2014, 10:11 AM
I chuckle at guys that think the sun rises and sets on ruger guns. Ive probably had more problems with ruger gun then all others combined. that said I do own more rugers but not in any proportion to the problems I had. that and finding a 77 that is moa accurate is about like finding a needle in a haystack.

there a good looking rifle and that's probably why I keep trying. Luckily im not one that falls in love with a gun and if they don't shoot they just go out the door and another one replaces it. Ive probably owned two dozen 77s through the years and have had exactly one. An old tang safety 280 that was a moa gun. Id bet 3/4s of the rem 700, model 70 Winchesters and 110 savages ive owned shoot moa or better. Its about to the point with me that if I hear someone bragging that he owns a 77 I about know im not talking to a true rifleman that knows what accuracy even is or cares. Now ruger comes out with the American that hands down outshoots there higher priced 77s. Sorry but that just doesn't make sense. Why put all that research into making a cheap gun shoot and ignore gun that made them famous. Again I think its because they know theres enough guys out there that drink the koolaid and buy them whether they shoot or not.

I once had a 257 Roberts lightweight. It shot 3 inch groups!! and that was with its better loads. I sent it back to ruger and they returned it with a 2 inch 50 yard 3 shot group and said that the gun met there accuracy standards. I could out shoot it with a good many handguns in the safe with open sights. Sorry but one guy here doesn't have blinders on.

Jack Stanley
12-24-2014, 10:34 AM
I hear ya Lloyd ...... but you do remember Remington's little foray with the model 788 dontcha? ;-)
You also remember how that turned out for the 788 he he he ;-)

After getting several dogs from any company I stop looking at their products and start looking elsewhere . It might be different if I could get all of my money back but we know how used gun buyers are .

Jack

Dan Cash
12-24-2014, 11:44 AM
Luckily the 10 day wait should be going away very soon. Kamala has had her 180 day opportunity to change the policy and hasn't done squat.

The new policy will be one background check and 10 day wait and after that You pay and walk with your new gun.

This is the way "Law Abiding Citizens" should be treated.

Sorry about your bad luck on your gun.

Randy

I beg to differ as it is not the way a law abiding citizen should be treated. A citizen should never be forced to prove his innocence in order to exercise rights. The State has the obligation of proving the citizen's guilt if a crime is committed. That a person might be evil at heart or have evil intent should have no bearing upon their ability to purchase any appliance if we, as a nation, are to maintain the concept of "innocent until proven guilty."

Petrol & Powder
12-24-2014, 12:29 PM
rintinglen - I completely understand your frustration and you have every right to be frustrated. There's nothing I can say that will ease that disappointment and I think you're being reasonable. You do have some additional factors that make your experience tougher to deal with, primarily the fact that you live in a liberal state with a lack of friendly gun laws.

Ruger let a bad rifle out the door. It would have been better if they caught that bad product before it left the factory but that's water under the bridge now. They did the next best thing they could do, they offered a replacement rifle.

I've owned a lot of Ruger products over the years and I have a favorable attitude towards that company. Some of that favorable attitude comes from the generally good quality and value of their products, some of it comes from their customer service and some comes from the fact that they didn't cave to the liberal idiocy like S&W did. I will say that their track record with rifles (Mini 14 and M77 in particular) is not as strong as their record with handguns and shotguns. I also think that the Ruger American was designed to hit a price point that is a bit too low. I understand the absolute need to be competitive and they must make a profit on the item to survive but I just don't think the American is going to make it in light of the competition.

The Savage 110 was a classic example of using good engineering and design to hit a price point that was competitive in its field. The ability for Savage to assemble the barrel to the receiver and achieve the proper head spacing in one quick step allowed them to produce a rifle that was less expensive than say a Remington 700. You can debate the quality and features of those two rifles but there's no disputing that the Savage design left more room for profit.

It appears to me that Ruger attempted the same type of cost cutting with the American that Savage did with the 110 but Ruger didn't really pull it off well.

Tar Heel
12-24-2014, 03:54 PM
May I say that the apparent QC issues with all of the aforementioned firearms are getting made by old coots who, having been raised on Remingtons, Rugers, Winchesters, and others that used to be made to high standards, are now seeing the results of lowered QC and standards which in turn keep operational costs low. If you are not willing to pay the price for higher quality, and we aren't, then we must accept this lesser quality stuff. All the boards are abuzz about the QC with Ruger lately and I too have experienced it. It IS frustrating to see the quality flagging, and flagging it is. All the gun manufacturers are experiencing it. We can't ignore it, it really is there. All the manufactures are making attempts to placate the consumer but I must ask myself if the general consumer actually can see the QC drop from guns made 50 years ago by craftsmen and trained machinists.

starmac
12-24-2014, 08:53 PM
Ruger didn't cave like S and W?????

shoot-n-lead
12-24-2014, 11:32 PM

Bull on that...Do you not remember Bill Ruger trying to help pass the mag ban in order to protect his interest.

You are correct...Ruger did not cave...they just swapped sides.

I like Ruger single actions...but Bill Ruger was not one of my heroes.

cainttype
12-25-2014, 01:02 AM
Having no experience with the Ruger American, I can't offer any opinion on that model. I do agree that many firearms marketed today at the lower price catagories leave a lot to be desired. "You get what you pay for" shouldn't include non-functional junk.
I have had quite a few 77s (tang safeties and MkIIs) in many configurations. I've never had one that couldn't shoot reasonably well (easily sub 2", and yes...even some MOA shooters). The most finicky is a tang safety, full-stocked, super-lightweight International carbine chambered in 308 Winchester. Fired quickly, it may very well group 2-2 1/2"... Allowed to cool a little between shots, it will reduce that by half. The first shot always prints perfectly, and it is a joy to carry.
The newest Rugers I have toyed with are the Hawkeyes. I like them a lot.
The first cast through a new-to-me 338 Fed using the NOE 340-201 (211gr) and reduced velocity loads at 1700 fps shoot 1.5" at 100 yds consistently, with virtually no work-up.

My most recent experience involved a MkII 270 purchased from a pawn shop. It shot horribly for a friend (8", reportedly).
After free-floating the barrel and adjusting the action screws, it shot very nearly 1.5" with the very first loads we fed it.

I'm not a "Ruger Man", but I've never had a "bad" M77 in any configuration. The fact that I like the integral scope ring set-up is definitely a plus.
I've always viewed Ruger pistols as "utilitarian", the various M77s as very competitive, the #1s as desireable, and the Red Lable shotgun as an American classic. YMMV

Petrol & Powder
12-25-2014, 10:01 AM

I don't see an internal lock on the side of a Ruger DA revolver......

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-25-2014, 12:28 PM
Starmac, is that a question?

If so, what is being referenced is likely what happened during the clinton error when S&W sold out to a company and the quality took a nose dive.

I know that this - to RUGER or not to Ruger - is and will forever be an ongoing pro and con discussion, but I am glad I have been one of those, apparently lucky ones, who has owned RUGERS - since the 60s - and have been VERY satisfied with that choice.

That includes everyone both long and short which now resides at this address. Including the RUGER American that shoots awesome groups!

The few issues that I have had over the years, the company has always made right, and in a case or two went the second mile going above and beyond what I expected or requested.

Guess if someone is going to be "lucky" it may as well be me! :bigsmyl2:

But then, I'm not like the gal my wife and I knew who found fault with every meal we ever set down to, while in their company.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

starmac
12-25-2014, 05:35 PM
I seem to remember ruger selling out all other gun manufacturers on an agreement with the govt. That is what I meant by cave like S&W. I don't even remember all the particulars, but have not bought a new ruger of any persuasion since, and doubt I ever will.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-25-2014, 06:50 PM
If, that in fact happened, I'd like to read the verification and documentation to the "sell out".

Please point me to that info. I'd like to read it!

CDOC

shoot-n-lead
12-25-2014, 06:52 PM
If, that in fact happened, I'd like to read the verification and documentation to the "sell out".

CDOC

http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/papabill.html

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-25-2014, 06:56 PM
Thanks, I'll check it out.

CDOC

dragon813gt
12-25-2014, 06:58 PM
I seem to remember ruger selling out all other gun manufacturers on an agreement with the govt. That is what I meant by cave like S&W. I don't even remember all the particulars, but have not bought a new ruger of any persuasion since, and doubt I ever will.

They both caved, just in different ways. I can't say I would have made a different decision than Bill Ruger. It's easy for us to say we wouldn't have done what he did. But none of us own a multi million dollar corporation. I'm not defending his actions.

shoot-n-lead
12-26-2014, 12:24 AM
They both caved, just in different ways. I can't say I would have made a different decision than Bill Ruger. It's easy for us to say we wouldn't have done what he did. But none of us own a multi million dollar corporation. I'm not defending his actions.

It is easy for me to say that I would not have sold out...the man was a millionaire even if he never sold a another mini rifle. Principles have NOTHING to do with money...he had no principles...it was about the money.

The 2A had made him a millionaire by law abiding customers buying his guns...he turned his back on them.

wrench man
12-26-2014, 01:32 AM
Of 13 Ruger hand guns and 7 Ruger rifles in my safe the only one that's had any issues is the Single Seven, it had (I fixed it) the loading gate notch issues and it too wants to puke out the base pin!, I'll look into the base pin issue, it's not worth the hassle to send it in.
Now I can get better patterns with my 870 and 00 Buck than 2/3 of my Savage 110's will produce! and don't even get me started on the Taurus/Rossi ****!

Fishman
12-26-2014, 11:35 AM
Interesting read. Not having designed a firearm from the ground up, I don't know what I would have done in that same situation. With the gift of hindsight, we are free to disagree with his approach. I see a man, rightfully proud of his creation, taking steps he thought necessary at the time to save it. Cynics will say the money was what drove him, and the keyboard commandos will claim that they never compromise on anything, but in the end none of us are Bill Ruger.

dtknowles
12-26-2014, 12:50 PM
Interesting read. Not having designed a firearm from the ground up, I don't know what I would have done in that same situation. With the gift of hindsight, we are free to disagree with his approach. I see a man, rightfully proud of his creation, taking steps he thought necessary at the time to save it. Cynics will say the money was what drove him, and the keyboard commandos will claim that they never compromise on anything, but in the end none of us are Bill Ruger.

Bill's legacy is secure as a business man and designer. His support for the Constitution and 2nd amendment rights might not be up to some peoples standards. If you don't want to buy a Ruger because of that fine. If you want to bash someone who does buy a Ruger, I will think you are harsh.

Tim

shoot-n-lead
12-26-2014, 01:04 PM
Bill's legacy is secure as a business man and designer. His support for the Constitution and 2nd amendment rights might not be up to some peoples standards. If you don't want to buy a Ruger because of that fine. If you want to bash someone who does buy a Ruger, I will think you are harsh.

Tim

I just hold him to the same standard that I hold the politicians that I vote for. Folks can buy Rugers if they like...makes no difference to me. I have never suggested that folks not buy Ruger...but I HAVE suggested that folks do a little research before celebrating his legacy as a stalwart gun rights supporter and considering him to be something of a kindred spirit.

youngmman
12-26-2014, 01:11 PM

I remember Bill Ruger saying a number of years ago that the only way they could make any money was to eliminate as many hand operations in the manufacturing as possible.....................maybe they went to far.

rintinglen
12-26-2014, 01:45 PM
Some people are no help at all. While bemoaning my troubles to my brother, he said, "well as many deer as you shot this year, a gun that won't shoot should work just fine."
Wait till next year. Just wait. Wiseguy.

starmac
12-26-2014, 07:37 PM
Funny, but that is what brothers are for. lol

fatnhappy
12-27-2014, 02:14 PM
Some people are no help at all. While bemoaning my troubles to my brother, he said, "well as many deer as you shot this year, a gun that won't shoot should work just fine."
Wait till next year. Just wait. Wiseguy.

LMAO. Thanks for the reality check.

FLHTC
12-29-2014, 11:41 AM

CDOC

For those who didn't know
http://www.firearmscoalition.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=645:bill-rugers-magazine-ban&catid=15:chriss-blog&Itemid=87

FLHTC
12-29-2014, 11:46 AM

His neck was in a sling with the 3 screw and all the pending litigation over the accidental firings. It could have been pressure from the Supreme Court, which is where his cases ended up, for him to help advocate restrictions within the industry, in turn for their leniency. I wouldn't put anything past Capital Hill.

rintinglen
01-06-2015, 02:19 PM
https://col128.mail.live.com/ol/clear.gifhttps://col128.mail.live.com/ol/clear.gifhttps://col128.mail.live.com/ol/clear.gifhttps://col128.mail.live.com/ol/clear.gif
RE: rma 344738

Angela Brown
Add to contacts (https://col128.mail.live.com/ol/#)
6:06 AM
https://col128.mail.live.com/ol/clear.gif (https://col128.mail.live.com/ol/#)

Photos (https://col128.mail.live.com/ol/#)

To: Glen Hoglin

(https://col128.mail.live.com/ol/#)

https://a.gfx.ms/ic/bluemanmxl.png

(https://col128.mail.live.com/ol/#)

Good morning-

We have received your message in regards to the status of the replacement firearm. Our information shows that we are waiting to receive the replacement firearm from production. This can take about one to four weeks due to the holidays. Thank you and have a nice day.

https://col128.afx.ms/att/GetInline.aspx?messageid=36140e25-95ad-11e4-a17b-00237de4a654&attindex=0&cp=-1&attdepth=0&imgsrc=cid%3aimage001.png%4001D02990.07246700&cid=5b48323b90f01a86&shared=1&hm__login=ghoglin&hm__domain=hotmail.com&ip=10.48.40.8&d=d3855&mf=0&hm__ts=Tue%2c%2006%20Jan%202015%2018%3a15%3a41%20G MT&st=ghoglin&hm__ha=01_3f0216d6a8518861e950e007e5d395c90d7dfba4 ab571c26ad3289e029c12742&oneredir=1

This is the reply to my inquiry as to a shipping date, received today.
Oh joy. Another Month.

fatnhappy
01-21-2015, 07:43 PM
any update?

rintinglen
01-21-2015, 10:31 PM
Why yes indeed, I just yesterday got a phone call from my gun shop that my Ruger had come in. I went by and filled out the paper work--and forked over another 55 bucks--and in 10 days I should have the new gun. There is no target in the box, which had been promised, but at least I could close the bolt on a dummy round. I'll send them copies of my receipts and see if I can get reimbursed for the DROS fee.

Annoyance number 7: in the intervening 6 weeks since they first said they'd have to send me another gun, a new law here in California Requiring a "Firearms Safety Certificate" for all firearms acquisitions went into effect. Net effect: plus 25.00 to price. Life gets better and better...

crawfobj
01-21-2015, 10:45 PM
A 10 day waiting period too? Thank God I live in Texas.

Four Fingers of Death
01-22-2015, 06:08 AM
My recent Ruger purchases are a 375H&H No1 (2013 No1 Tropical chambering), a Light Sporter No1 in 303British, an American Compact in 223 and an American Rimfire in 22LR and a pair of Ruger Old Army 5.5" revolvers.

the 375 is great, no problems, very accurate with factory ammo,
the 303 is ok apart from the stock timber being proud of the receiver on one side and so far ordinary accuracy, but only factory ammo used so far. The bore slugged at 0.313" which doesn't impress me greatly.

The Compact would not feed rounds from the magazine until I left the mag loaded for a few weeks and stretched the lips a tad. It works like a dream now and does 1/2" - 3/4" with good factory ammo.

The American Rimfire is fine, very accurate and I am very happy with it.

The ROAs were assembled by some gorilla who was too lazy to change screwdrivers and on the big screws if you look closely, there are marks made by using the small screwdriver, Lazy P*****. One works beautifully, one locked up when I first went to cock it and several gunsmiths have looked at it and can't figure out what is wrong. One reassembled it and it worked for awhile, but then locked up again. It is in the safe at the moment, where it has been for the last year or so, I've given up on it. I bought the guns to use in Western Action, but that is not going to happen.

It should be a simple matter to re set the barrel as they have a Savage style nut, I'm thinking.

shdwlkr
01-31-2015, 05:01 PM
Rugers I think the ones I have had a chance to use are all made in the 1980's and before. Don't like any of the new stuff they are offering, I have a few of their pistols again old vintage stuff. Always wanted a bearcat 22 rf found one last year in ss and I garbed it. I find that most of my purchases are for old stuff anymore. Yes I still buy new in some manufacture, springfield, remmington, kimber, sig sauer, they are all pistols, then in rifles I have springfields, jap chester, universal, then there are shotguns and I don't remember who made them, I just like how they fit me.
As to being sold that one and only one firearm company can meet all my needs, never will happen, I like to many different platforms if you will of firearms, ranging from bp all the way up to modern stuff.

Hope you remember to take a blank round with you when your new rifle comes in to make sure it in fact will chamber the correct cartridge

Four Fingers of Death
01-31-2015, 05:14 PM
Our firearms registration set up here is a pita, but obviously better in some regards than the above set up. I had a Savage BMag replaced under warranty. I walked into the shop one day for a look and they dropped the box on the counter. I asked what I had to fo for the paperwork and they said 'nothing, we just ring the registry and then they will post you a new registration certificate. I took it home straight away.

rintinglen
02-01-2015, 04:25 AM
Well, I have my replacement and it will chamber a 308. I am working this weekend, but Thursday I hope to be able to give it a trial run. I just hope that after all this, it shoots well. I am disappointed in that I was promised a target with the return of my firearm, but since this is a different gun, I guess that Ruger thought there was no need to test fire it.

Idaho Sharpshooter
02-04-2015, 01:26 AM
Star Wars story*

In 1981 I had a cranial-rectal inversion**, that eventually required a plastiotamy***.

I bought a Wby in 300 Wby brand new in the box at a local sporting goods store. I took it home, mounted and bore sighted a scope, and headed for the range the next morning. I went thru two boxes of Wby ammunition and not ONE! stinking round would even begin to chamber. A day or two later I get back to Boise, and go see the gunsmith at Purcell's. He looks thru the barrel and starts laughing like a drunk hyena. Despite a target in the box showing a 3-shot group under 5/8ths inch at 100yds, the barrel had not been chambered. A call to Wby, and they, after half an hour of denial and BS, request that I send the rifle back at my expense to be "examined to determine the issue...".
I got lucky. Elgin Gates had moved to the Idaho Falls (iirc) area the year before. He came downstairs to the gun shop section and overheard the conversation. Some of you may know Gates as one of the founding fathers of IHMSA. Also likely the best collection of Wby's in the world, outside of the Shah of Iran's. He asks to see the rifle, sees that there was not any chamber cut, and offers to buy the rifle from me. In the rack was a like-new Old Model 70 in 300 H&H. He offered to buy that rifle and trade me straight up. In a heartbeat...

I'll put that up against any other screw up by any other manufacturer ever...

*Star Wars: "long ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

**Cranial-rectal-Inversion, that's where you have your head up your A__ so far you can't see.

*** Plastiotimy, that's where they cut a 10" square section out of the front of your tummy so you can see prior to having C-R-I corrective surgery.

Tackleberry41
02-04-2015, 02:36 PM
Makes you wonder then if they even test fire rifles at the factory then. Yea they provide a target showing they did, but obviously if they hadnt even cut the chamber, then just as obviously they hadnt fired that rifle at any sort of target. Sort of implies they just have a stack of targets with random groups on them.

Yes mistakes are made, but even basic QC should catch something like a rifle with no chamber. Or is even rudimentary QC been tossed aside to save a little money. Bought a barrel for my glock, looked around at reviews, some say buy something better than lone wolf, but didnt see a pile of reviews saying their junk. They gave me a bit of a run around at first, did you try this, did you try that, what kind of ammo? Yes I know some would just get mad and start complaining, but yea I tried my various mags, and different types of ammo, everything jammed in it. Chambers and fires, when its not jamming them into the feed ramp. Says polished feed ramp when you buy it, must be some new type of polishing that doesnt look like polishing. I am debating about just polishing the ramp and getting on with my life, or the 4 week wait they said to send it back and they do whatever they do. Has soured me a bit on their barrels now.

Four Fingers of Death
02-04-2015, 07:28 PM
Some lazy chump not test firing the guns and using old left over targets I suppose. Probably stealing the ammo as well.

41 mag fan
02-20-2015, 11:54 AM
Well rintinglen I bought a Ruger American in 308 this past Sunday. I am having the exact same problem you are having. Except I'm noticing the pick up is of even. If I cycle the bolt very slow then the pick up happens as it should, normal speed not happening.
So I called Ruger yesterday, the woman I talked to, iirc it was this angela brown also, was a real treat to deal with. Said she'd send me shipping label via email...... Been 24hrs.... still waiting.
Now one thing about my rifle I did have it close on a round 2xs. But it was a lot of fiddling and very hard to close. I thought last night at work it might require a sb sizer, but I don't have one in 308. What I'm going to do is take 2 dummy rounds into rural king where I bought it and try them in the display gun and see if they cycle or not. Luckily I know the guys who work the counter so I'll be able to try them.
I'm really disappointed in Ruger on this rifle. I bought the American in 22lr last spring... It's a track driver and for the money I was impressed.

Deadpool
02-20-2015, 12:09 PM
I bought a 10/22 just before the trigger guard went plastic. Bore and chamber were too loose. Had no accuracy at all! Like, 12 MOA. All that's left of it now is just the receiver, and it's a tack-driver. Can't quite still call it a Ruger 10/22.

Rodfac
02-27-2015, 09:43 PM
I've had nothing but superb guns from Ruger....going back 55 years now and that includes over a dozen hand guns of one sort or another. Two experiences with their customer service over the years were likewise excellent. They're a first rate company and have been since day one. If you need help with a product, contact with their customer service people in a civil manner and treat them as you would have them treat one of your family...it's always worked for me. Persistence helps too, if it's not right, again, in a civil manner ask for their help....Rod

doc1876
02-27-2015, 11:28 PM
I have 2 Ruger handguns, and to tell you the truth, I hate Rugers. I know I have expelled the enjoyment of shooting my new Lipseys .44, however, it went back to Ruger on Wednesday. Couldn't load it. the loading gate just locked up everything, and if you would jack the hammer, it would settle down and function like it was supposed to..........ain't putting up with that . I got an email tonight telling me it will be back here next Wednesday. We will see.

texaswoodworker
02-28-2015, 12:54 AM
I recently got a Ruger Mark III (Standard, 6" barrel), and I could not be happier. The workmanship is amazing, it's absolutely beautiful, and it shoots like a dream.

rintinglen
04-15-2015, 11:52 PM
It has taken me far longer than I thought, but I finally got a chance to run a few rounds through my Ruger. This second one is a keeper. It functions well with my reloads or with factory loads and after sighting in, I got a three shot 1.125" group. Even if I can't get it to shoot better than that--and I am pretty sure that I can-- that is good enough for me. I am still out 55 more dollars than I ought to be, but I have a gun that goes bang and hits where its pointed.
It will be a while before I buy another Ruger, but I can see why folks got excited over these.

Jack Stanley
04-16-2015, 09:24 AM
Good to see you got one that works finally . I'm with you, it will be a long time before I take a chance on another and I'll want to test fire it first .

Jack

dragon813gt
04-16-2015, 12:49 PM
Glad you got it back and everything is working properly. I can tell you I'm not to happy w/ a new SP101 in 327 Federal. Barrel has nicks in it. There are burrs on the forcing cone, top strap and over 50% of the other edges. The finish is horrendous. Seems that they didn't attempt to polish it at all. I doubt I will purchase another new Ruger from Gunbroker again. Their lack of quality control is quite staggering. If you follow threads on the Ruger specific boards you will see how common the issues are.

Smoke4320
04-16-2015, 12:55 PM
Bought a Sr22 with threaded barrel right at Christmas .. Something to take my mind off fathers death ..didn't work too much estate issues to deal with
Finally shot it in March with rear sight all the way to the right (1/2 of the right dot covered by sight frame) it shot 2" left at 7 YDS
called them . They said Box up just the gun and 1 mag...they issued a call tag 10 days later I get an email they are replacing the gun.. Great 2 days later I get a new gun, 3 mags, another thread adapter, thread protector, wrench, several more back straps and a test target fired before boxing
This one shoots like a dream.. eats any ammo I run thru it, from cheap win dynapoint to federal target
You can get a bad anything its how the company handles it and in this case Ruger went above and beyond to fix the issue

rintinglen
04-18-2015, 02:03 AM
You can get a bad anything its how the company handles it and in this case Ruger went above and beyond to fix the issue

The fly in the ointment is not that their service is bad, but rather, how often you need it. A little quality control would go a long ways towards keeping Angela Brown from being a household name.

lefty o
04-18-2015, 02:07 AM
just saw another ruger last weekend that should have never left the factory. hopefully those that need it at ruger get a foot up the backside before this downhill slide goes too far. we need all the gun companies we can get.

26Charlie
04-21-2015, 11:39 AM
My wife's new Ruger American .22-250 came in the box with a .223 magazine. Took a week for the dealer to resolve the problem. I suspect many of their people are not gun people. Out of maybe 60 Rugers in my family, that would make the third needing factory attention or repair, not including the mini-30 I traded because I could not get it to group better than a pie plate at 100 yards.

dakota
04-23-2015, 01:59 PM
I've had a couple of good Ruger 77 rifles and a lot of Ruger Super Blackhawks. They all seemed to be OK to excellent. One of the Super Blackhawks is the most accurate revolver I've owned. It shot 2" 6 shot groups at 100 yards with gas checked Keith Style cast bullets and 5744. My brother had a Super Redhawk however that had what he called a gas pipe for a barrel. They must have been stumped on to whether put it on a 45 or a 44. It was closer to a 45, but then there would be pressure issues, so they put it on a 44. The accuracy was pie plate at 20 yards and the holes were not round, no matter the load. I used to figure if you buy a Ruger "luck of the draw" was the phrase that came to mind.

tdoyka
04-23-2015, 03:27 PM
i had a super redhawk in 7 1/2" barrel that came with a 44 rem mag. on a bench at 100 yards it shot groups(scoped) of around 2 - 2 1/2" easily. when i got divorced and need some money i had to let it go. it was about 7 or so years ago i started to have a hankerin for the revlover. it took two or so years, but i got a super redhawk in 7 1/2" barrel in 44 mag. it was close to deer season so i loaded up my original 200gr xtp's with w296 and at 50 yards(open sights) it got 3 -4". but unfortunalty i got a stroke, so the old girl is just sitting there in my safe. i took it out last year and i shot the 200gr xtp with trail boss and it got the same grouping at 50 yards.
my ruger #1 in 270win shoots 130 - 150gr nosler ballistic tips .3 - .4" at 100 yards. the avater can testify that it works!!!
i guess the "luck of the draw" was very lucky for me!

opos
04-23-2015, 03:50 PM
I have a number of Ruger single actions..old model and new model (but all older ones)..also got some GP 100's and Service Sixes....but none are "current production" (within the last couple of years)....I still buy and shoot Ruger handguns but will not buy new..Ruger (to my way of thinking) seems to be doing what I detest about some of the foreign companies...push it out the door and let the buyer do the QC..The customer that pays his hard earned money should get a product that is quality and tested before it ever leaves the factory...Not going to get specific but I do have a buddy that received the touted "good customer service" from Ruger but since we live where a new serial number "replacement" would be required to resolve a situation..and that replacement is not on the state's approved list...sort of "tough luck and here's a different gun"..the gun that was bad should have never left the plant...it was a serious casting flaw and could have been a danger.

I keep hearing how good the customer service is..that's just fine and dandy but I'd prefer to not have to contact customer service to correct flaws in a new gun...so I'll buy a proven "war horse" after a thorough investigation of it but no "new in the box" ones for me.