Freightman
12-02-2014, 02:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWF2JBb1bvM&feature=youtu.be

CastingFool
12-02-2014, 03:51 PM
That is an awesome commercial!

Harter66
12-02-2014, 04:35 PM
The last civilized war ...... Merry Christmas.

FISH4BUGS
12-02-2014, 07:08 PM
....and then they proceeded to kill each other.

Hickory
12-02-2014, 07:17 PM
....and then they proceeded to kill each other.

Yes, then they proceeded to kill each other. That is the sad element of war.

10-x
12-02-2014, 07:22 PM
Read the book.

skeettx
12-02-2014, 07:27 PM
Freightman
Thanks from another Amarillo boy

"Our is not to reason why, ours is but to do and die"
Charge of the Light Brigade

Mike

slim1836
12-02-2014, 07:38 PM
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other b*****d die for his.
George S. Patton (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/g/george_s_patton.html)

shooter93
12-02-2014, 08:18 PM
I've always liked the carol....Christmas in the Trenches. Sad that war will always come.

Harter66
12-02-2014, 08:31 PM
Actually the point was that the politicos and not the men drove the war and that at risk of plagerism (sp) a man is smart but people are dumb panicky animals.

We should be able to put aside our differences for a few hours even in the pits of war as a show of humanity. I doubt very much that those men wanted to kill each other any more or less 12/23/14 than did 12/26/14. I can only imagine the burden that men carried fighting sometimes for days or weeks after an Armistice and or surrender was made . The enemies of today would kill us because of that kind of a showing just because of the very source .

And thanks for looking at the blackest possible translation.

DCP
12-02-2014, 09:54 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/personal-view/11228839/Has-Sainsburys-1914-Christmas-truce-ad-exploited-memory-of-war.html

To commercialize this is sacrilege.
Sad truly sad.

Sainsbury’s has chosen the wrong moment, 100 years after the first shots were fired in the Great War, to exploit the memory of this bitter conflict in such a blatantly commercial fashion. Although the truce between the opposing sides did happen during the winter of 1914, it was frowned upon by the military leadership of both nations who wanted the slaughter to end quickly

Harter66
12-03-2014, 01:16 PM
I wonder was To Hell and Back ,the Sands of Iwo Jima,Green Barrets,Tora Tora Tora, Pearl Harbor, The Passion of the Christ ,Flags of our Fathers,Saving Private Ryan etc travisties as well ? This commercial may be in poor taste but God knows our society needs a wakeup call . And if it takes a candy commercial set against a few hours of humanity in the midst of a hellish bloody trench war then so be it.

DCP
12-03-2014, 03:45 PM
I wonder was To Hell and Back ,the Sands of Iwo Jima,Green Barrets,Tora Tora Tora, Pearl Harbor, The Passion of the Christ ,Flags of our Fathers,Saving Private Ryan etc travisties as well ? This commercial may be in poor taste but God knows our society needs a wakeup call . And if it takes a candy commercial set against a few hours of humanity in the midst of a hellish bloody trench war then so be it.

No those movies are not travesties. Yes this commercial is in poor taste. Your mind set is similar to those with the hands up don't shoot. They also believe we need a wake up call. Get your point across with honor.

Harter66
12-03-2014, 06:43 PM
No those movies are not travesties. Yes this commercial is in poor taste. Your mind set is similar to those with the hands up don't shoot. They also believe we need a wake up call. Get your point across without any honor.

Clearly you know nothing about me. I had an Uncle at Iwo, my grand mother was in a closet 2 block from the gates a at Pearl and my grandfather was smoking on the beach not far from there when the 1st bomb went off and my Great Aunt did triage in her living room . My great grandfather was on Artillery in France not long after the events that prompted this thread 15 after his future wife's 1st cousin was assassinated . I feel like several of the mentioned films exploited my family. More over had I not married the air force it's very likely I'd have been a Marine in Gulf 1. Fact is the Corps wanted to send me to OCS ,but I elected to raise my kids instead . My oldest son just enlisted at 29 and is stationed at Fort Cambel KY . My youngest son did 30 of his 60 months in Iraqastan with the Army and my daughter did 6 yrs in the Navy.

Your right about my lack of honor probably valor and chivalry too. Why go to a knife fight with a gun if you have a grenade and you can kill your challenger and his crew too without getting cut yourself.
As far as Mike Brown and his solidarity BS goes ,hang them all,without any regard to race or faith and plant them in an unmarked farm plot at least they'll be of some good as fertilizer.

MERRY CHRISTMAS. :)

big bore 99
12-03-2014, 06:59 PM
The first was a very brutal war, as are all. My Grandfather died years later from the effects of mustard gas, after returning from France. I still have his P-17 and shoot it now and then. My Father was there at Midway, turning the tide of the 2nd WW. Wars are very sad, but we need them to keep the butchers and dictators in line. Like Plato said "Only the dead have seen the end of war".

oldsagerat
12-12-2014, 09:28 PM
The saddest commentary on humans is that they never learn from
war and keep engaging in them. Humans are the worst predator on this planet. I never want to shoot anyone, but endanger my family
and you will find out how dangerous a gun nut can be to your health.

gew98
12-14-2014, 09:39 AM
. Although the truce between the opposing sides did happen during the winter of 1914, it was frowned upon by the military leadership of both nations who wanted the slaughter to end quickly

Those Lions were lead by Donkeys....pretty sure history has shown those donkeys cared little about a quick resolution to the slaughter of their lions.

DCP
12-14-2014, 10:17 AM
Those Lions were lead by Donkeys....pretty sure history has shown those donkeys cared little about a quick resolution to the slaughter of their lions.

Well no kidding.
The Donkeys wanted a quick end as long as there side won. So way to many lions died.
But isn't that what almost every war is all about.

gew98
12-14-2014, 11:23 AM
No...not every war...today's breed is led by goats.

DCP
12-14-2014, 11:57 AM
No...not every war...today's breed is led by goats.

Donkeys was your word, now its Goats. What animal will be next?

gew98
12-14-2014, 01:10 PM
Whatever depraved culture and or failed politics decides works in their nutzoid favor.

WILCO
12-14-2014, 01:23 PM
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/sainsburys-christmas-advert-nothing-says-merry-xmas-folks-like-trench-warfare-9861367.html

DCP
12-14-2014, 01:38 PM
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/sainsburys-christmas-advert-nothing-says-merry-xmas-folks-like-trench-warfare-9861367.html

Very good read
Thanks