PDA

View Full Version : 7.7X58 loadings

TCLouis
12-02-2014, 12:19 AM
My intent is to find a really accurate load with one of my powder choices and then find an accurate, but higher speed load to hunt with.

So last winter I found 16 grains of 10B101 to be accurate, fairly high performance loading . . . never followed that up with additional powder loading or testing, but since it is the same case capacity as the 303 British I should have several more grains to go for a max loading.

Then I started playing with PROMO pretending it was Red Dot and got some pretty decent loadings.

Then some wild hair caught me recently and I jumped to IMR 3031 (31 grains) and the C312 150 GC FN GB boolit.

I got great performance (no Chrono data but QL says it is moving right along) with accuracy and velocity.

Anyone else out there using such a critter.

If weather is better than predicted, I may be able to test it on something other than paper and water filled milk jugs this coming weekend.

runfiverun
12-02-2014, 01:42 PM
treat it like any of the other 30 cal rifles and use their data, you don't have to deviate too much for sure when your only going 1900 fps or so.
the oldest girl shoots a 7.7 and it likes 18 grs of 2400 same as my 308, the wifes 0-6, littlegirls argies, and the boy's 7.5 swiss does.
it also dotes on 28.5 grs or imr 4895 [and a filler] or 30grs without one, same as the others and my 8 mauser does too.
the 30-31-32 [and the 35's mostly] caliber rifles will all do pretty well with data very slightly modified for boolit weight or just your rifles particular likes.
you have to look at what pressure you are getting from the powder a bit more than case volume, the medium/slow pistol and medium/fast rifle powders are very flexible when it comes to lower pressures [40-k +/-]
in regards to a little more or a little less case capacity.

if we are talking the 300 H&H or above or an x39 type case size, or you go to a smaller or much larger bore, then things change and you have to re-evaluate your case family/design, boolit weight, and powder speed on a different scale.

bruce drake
12-02-2014, 11:51 PM
15.6gr of Red Dot with Lyman's 200gr 314299 gas checked and sized at .314 and lubed with White Label Lube's BAC is a good load for my T99 Arisaka using trimmed down Lake City 30-06 brass.

TCLouis
12-07-2014, 11:48 PM
BD
I do not have a mold for something that heavy, but will plug that loading (substituting PROMO most likely) behind the 170s I have on hand and see what she will do.

Runfiverun I will plug in some of that 4895 data next.