PDA

View Full Version : reManufactured 22 mag?

SSGOldfart
12-01-2014, 11:12 PM
If I remove a 40grn lead or cooper coated boolit and replace it with a 40grn tin boolit would there be any difference in pressure??<br>I'm trying to come up with a leadfree 22Mag round, I have both leadfree&nbsp; boolits from 22LR and cooper coated 22mags rounds on hand I can't see where their would be a difference!!!

Frank46
12-02-2014, 01:15 AM
I fail to see how you would remove the bullet from a loaded rimfire case, remove the factory crimp, then reseat the bullet and crimp if needed without the priming compound going off. Not saying it can't be done but would be leery of detonating the rimfire compound. And you would need some kind of die set to help the process along. Now if you got the cases with no powder but primed it may be a different story. Don't think with the shortage of 22rf ammo that any maker of 22rf would sell you any. I'm thinking along the lines of liability here. Frank

dtknowles
12-02-2014, 01:19 AM
Yes, no and maybe. Depending on design the tin bullet could have more bearing surface. That if nothing else was changed could raise the pressure. Diameter, hardness, bearing surface, lube all could make a difference.

I pulled the bullets from .22 mags and reloaded them with what I thought might be a faster powder to try and make better .22 mag pistol ammo. I sort of succeeded but without pressure test equipment, it could be my gains where because I was pushing up the pressure. Pull the bullets, save the powder and work up loads using your new bullets starting just under the original powder charge and work up like normal loading development.

Tim

richhodg66
12-02-2014, 08:57 AM
Interesting thread. I am completely ignorant of loading rimfires, but it seems I've read that primed .22 LR brass is available and I now cast for .22 centerfires.

Where do you get die sets for seating bullets?

My other question is, why do you need a lead free .22 WMR round? Are you hunting somewhere that requires lead free ammo?

I have an old rifle in .22 WMR that I hunted with a lot as a kid and shot quite a bit of small game with and came to the conclusion that .22 WMR hollow points are way too destructive for edible small game and .22 WMR solids didn't kill nearly as quickly as .22 LR hollow points did without so much meat destruction. Add to that that ammo was a lot more expensive and never as accurate. A lot of this may have changed as I haven't done much with that rifle in 30 years or so and ammo may have gotten better.

dtknowles
12-02-2014, 11:18 AM
I seated the bullets with my lubrisizer, no crimp.

Tim

starmac
12-03-2014, 01:45 AM
As far as I know primed 22 rimfire brass has neen a thing of the past for several years now.

leadman
12-03-2014, 10:33 PM
richhodg66, if you are casting "normal" 22 caliber bullets for a centerfire these are the same size as the WMR, but the 22LR is a heeled boolit.
There is a company making a mold, priming tools & compound, and crimper for reloading 22LR but at $190 I'll just load my 22 K-Hornet.

My favorite 22 WMR load if the Federal 50gr. Kills very well and does not destroy as much meat as the lighter bullets.

At one time a former member, Bullshop had some primed 22 WMR cases but don't know if he still has them.

Ben
12-03-2014, 11:02 PM
Are you talking a jacketed bullet or as you say a " Tin Bullet " ?

captain-03
12-04-2014, 01:13 AM
Have about 5K primed 22LR brass if anyone is interested!!

Ben
12-04-2014, 01:32 AM
I still want to know where these " Tin Bullets " are coming from ?

swheeler
12-04-2014, 01:49 AM
I think it was Winchester that came out with lead free 22RF ammo, bullets were tin.

Ben
12-04-2014, 02:06 AM
Maybe , but where do his tin bullets come from today ?

Ben
12-04-2014, 11:12 PM
UUmmm, I guess I'm not going to find out where to get " Tin Bullets " ? ?

William Yanda
12-04-2014, 11:15 PM

From the Tin Man?

Ben
12-04-2014, 11:28 PM
Maybe someday ?

dtknowles
12-04-2014, 11:54 PM

I think it would be cheapest to make them, cast some bullets from lead free solder.

starmac
12-05-2014, 02:56 AM
Have about 5K primed 22LR brass if anyone is interested!!

Post them up in the swap and selling, we have some members that load them with black powder.

Multigunner
12-05-2014, 11:25 AM
Kirksite or a homemade version of that alloy would be better than tin, and theres near a century of background in the use of zinc alloy projectile for high velocity as well as low velocity projectiles. Weight is aprox 60% that of an otherwise identical lead projectile, so higher velocities are expected and if an identical weight zinc alloy bullet is used it would be longer and have more bearing surface, which could raise pressures a bit too much in some applications.

Perhaps a turned from rod stock bronze alloy projectile would be an option. Wonder how a .22 Magnum with long boatail spire point VLD type bullet with reduced less bearing surface compared to the lead and jacketed lead bullets would perform?
The tougher alloy should take the rifling without skidding even if less of the bullet body makes contact. Less drag all around.

SSGOldfart
12-06-2014, 12:21 AM
Winchester and CCI both make them the ones I have are Winchester

Ben
12-06-2014, 12:24 AM
OK Thanks,
Here is a bit more information on .22 LR loaded with tin bullets.

I've read it, looks like fouling problems with the Tin bullets is pretty bad :

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammo/ammunition_non-lead_ammo_good_for_rifle_bores_033111/

SSGOldfart
12-06-2014, 12:44 AM
Interesting thread. I am completely ignorant of loading rimfires, but it seems I've read that primed .22 LR brass is available and I now cast for .22 centerfires.

Where do you get die sets for seating bullets?

My other question is, why do you need a lead free .22 WMR round? Are you hunting somewhere that requires lead free ammo?

I have an old rifle in .22 WMR that I hunted with a lot as a kid and shot quite a bit of small game with and came to the conclusion that .22 WMR hollow points are way too destructive for edible small game and .22 WMR solids didn't kill nearly as quickly as .22 LR hollow points did without so much meat destruction. Add to that that ammo was a lot more expensive and never as accurate. A lot of this may have changed as I haven't done much with that rifle in 30 years or so and ammo may have gotten better.
No Law requirement just want to use the game for feeding my wife's Red Tail Hawk,the least traces of lead are very toxic to them there was a study were squirrels were head shot then X-Ray,to check for lead unreal the amount of lead that showed up even in the rear areas of these squirrels so one or at least me thought a head shot squirrel would be fine by removing the head,then a couple of years ago I read about CCI coming out with lead free 22mag rounds so I started looking,my wife has been on a waiting list for two years now for CCI green tag 22mag rounds then I came across some Winchester 22LR's @a fair price that use leadfree bullets made of tin so I start wondering how I could pull the 22LR's and reload them into 22mags my though was if everything is the same,weight I could just swap out the bullets so my wife can hunt squirrels with her 22mag and still use the squirrels as feed for her Bird during the molt.

starmac
12-06-2014, 01:52 AM
Dad gum, are we talking eating squirrels, like fox and grays?

richhodg66
12-06-2014, 07:57 AM
Seems you could cast rin bullets, but it would be expensive. Would an FMJ not gove the same effect you're looking for?

dtknowles
12-06-2014, 11:57 AM
I would think FMJ's would do the job but tin .22 bullets would not be all that expensive. A bullet cast in 45 grain bullet mould would only have 10 cents worth of tin.

Tim

SSGOldfart
12-06-2014, 01:42 PM
Dad gum, are we talking eating squirrels, like fox and grays?
Yes Sir we are talking grays and fox squirrels,guess I've eaten a few thousand in my life, but that study open my eyes,I guess lead isn't as bad as we are being led to believe?

SSGOldfart
12-07-2014, 01:30 AM
Seems you could cast rin bullets, but it would be expensive. Would an FMJ not gove the same effect you're looking for?
Barns makes a jacket all cooper bullet loaded in 223,she has used that once but wants to take her custom 22mag she loves her Gun/rifle