PDA

View Full Version : It may hurt, but I'm going progressive.

mdr8088
12-01-2014, 10:45 PM
I'm thinking of buying a Lee pro 1000 in 45acp. Like some die sets I bought before, if you buy them the gun will come eventually. I reload a lot of 9mm, and was wondering what's involved in changing from .45acp to 9mm on the 1000. I have the dies, and take it I'll need a shell plate. What else would be required?

orbitalair
12-01-2014, 11:13 PM
You'll need the small primer chute and pin. Theres a kit for the pro1000 with both init IIRC. You need a small shell slider, and you need an unbent Z-bar. You can get all this at titanreloading.com. Total cost there is probably $25. I got this info from the back page of the instruction sheet. You can get the instruction pdf from Lee Precision website, its a free download.

gunoil
12-01-2014, 11:44 PM
For what it worth to you, l would buy a dillon 550b for a lil'more.

gmsharps
12-02-2014, 12:37 AM
I'd say go for the 550B or the square deal.

gmsharps

jmort
12-02-2014, 12:44 AM
The 550 is not a little more. It is twice as much for a BL550, which is less than the models being suggested. Lot of people run Lee progressives. If you are mechanically inclined, it can make sense.

Artful
12-02-2014, 01:18 AM
Why would it hurt?

Some links for you to look at...

http://theapproachingdayprepper.com/search-perfect-first-reloading-press/

http://ultimatereloader.com/2010/05/18/side-by-side-all-4-5-station-progressive-reloading-presses/

rbt50
12-02-2014, 01:56 AM
you get what you pay for.

warpspeed
12-02-2014, 02:10 AM
For pistol, I only load 45 ACP & 9mm. I use a Dillon Square Deal. Bought the press used in 9mm IIRC and got caliber change kit for 45ACP.

Total - $365

44Vaquero
12-02-2014, 02:49 AM
MDR8088,

If you are on FB come and visit our page Lee Reloading and Casting Group over 7000 members most of whom use Lee equipment. We have many members that run 3 or more Pro-1000's and one gentleman that runs more then 5 Load Masters on his bench!

If you choose to go the Pro-1000 route, I suggest watching Cowboy T's San Francisco's liberal with a gun Pro-1000 video's on You-tube. they are about the most complete tutorial's on the Pro-1000 around.

I myself own 2 Pro-1000's, and an original 1992 Load-Master purchased new in 92!

The Pro-1000 can be purchased from titian Reloading for $160.00 complete ready to load one caliber!!

too many things
12-02-2014, 11:25 AM
MDR if you plan on loading just 9 and 45 for a while look for the small primer 45s. several sell them here. will save you some cost for the primer assy. you will need the shell plate and the shell pusher

d garfield
12-02-2014, 11:39 AM
Most 45 acp use large pistol primers. I have a Lee and it works fine. I can load about 200 an hr. You will have to set setter die up diff. than it comes. Make sure that you don't put to much crimp on them cause they will not chamber, We have three of the Lees.

Babbott213
12-02-2014, 11:46 AM
I've bought ammo before for a gun I didn't have. Just pushes me to take the dive to buy it. That's what I did with my 45-70.

1911KY
12-02-2014, 12:44 PM
There was a Loadmaster in the Swappin & Sellin section. It is a little stronger built than the Pro 1000.

I just went Progressive with the black friday deal from Midsouth Shooters Supply so I understand what you mean by it's going to hurt!

nrdewalt
12-02-2014, 04:23 PM
Ive had a Lee Pro 1000 and a Dillon 650. Ive used a 550 and square deal. You can't go wrong with Dillon. Its more of an investment. The lee will sell for 50% of what you paid for it while the Dillons will sell for 75-80 %.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-02-2014, 05:20 PM
Ive had a Lee Pro 1000 and a Dillon 650. Ive used a 550 and square deal. You can't go wrong with Dillon. Its more of an investment. The lee will sell for 25% of what you paid for it while the Dillons will sell for 75-80 %.

That's funny, I've owned every brand of equipment out there and I've never sold any of it for less than about 80% of it's retail value at the time I sold it, including the Lee brand stuff.

nrdewalt
12-02-2014, 05:31 PM
I guess I should add that I sold my Lee after loading a ton of ammo on it. Loading for two people who were shooting competition for a few years. It was pretty rough by the time I upgraded to my 650 and it needed some parts replaced. The great thing about the 650 is when it needs new parts all it takes is a phone call (warranty.)

1911KY
12-02-2014, 05:32 PM
Yea, most used reloading equipment sells not too far off retail (provided it's in decent shape) from what I have seen and I have been watching for used presses a lot lately.

Three44s
12-02-2014, 10:49 PM
I have a pro 1000 that I have never set up.

I bought it for a song in a package deal where I made money by selling SOME of the other tools.

Now there I sat researching what I now owned.

I also spoke to fellow that sold me the stuff.

He told me the reason he was selling the pro was that he'd bulged a barrel on a S&W revolver and had to have Smith rebarrel it for him.

After my research, I bought a LNL.

If I was going to do anything "Lee" progressive it would be with the Loadmaster.

If it ain't got powder check potential .... it's not a progressive in my opinion.

The Pro "ain't" ...... the Loadmaster .... yes.

I may use the Pro ...... but it will be a "half" progressive ......... run the brass through the size and bell ....... maybe even prime off press ..... then charge, CHECK and seat on the second trip over the unit.

Three 44s

another gsxr 1k
12-03-2014, 05:32 PM
The Dillon is probably a great piece of equipment. For the money, it should be.
Like has been mentioned above, you can get the Pro 1000 for around $160-170 ready to load.
I happen to have four of the Pro 1000's and all work just fine for my use. I have dedicated ones for both 40s&w and 45acp. and swap back and forth with a 38/357 on and a 44spl/44mag one.
One thing that I change immediately is the chain for the powder measure. I use a spring from Lowes of the appropriate length. I think its 3.25 x 1/4 x .025 comes in a multipack from the hardware section. saves ripping it apart or jamming it under the turret.
I use mine as a semi progressive, one round start to finish, mainly due to a lack of sturdy support. I'm in an apartment, so I load off a harbor freight version of a workmate.
I've had both examples, if you will. I had to tweak a used one that I bought, and one of the ones I bought new. The other two have run perfectly since day one. So far, all are on the original
from Lee parts, nothing has broken. The 45 press has seem about 10K rounds made so far from me (bought used), the 38/357 has seen close to that. and the 40 and 44 have about 3K and 500
respectively.
They may not have the cult following of the Dillons or RCBS, but they can still make an accurate round.

Kevin Rohrer
12-03-2014, 09:15 PM
I'm thinking of buying a Lee pro 1000 in 45acp. Like some die sets I bought before, if you buy them the gun will come eventually. I reload a lot of 9mm, and was wondering what's involved in changing from .45acp to 9mm on the 1000. I have the dies, and take it I'll need a shell plate. What else would be required?

You REALLY need to re-think this and go Blue. Aluminum lasts a lot longer than pot metal.

44Vaquero
12-03-2014, 09:43 PM
Now Kevin,

As a Member of ARTCA you should know better then disparage a manufactures reputation unfairly. Lee casts most of their products out of Aluminum, it may of a lessor quality than a more expensive manufactures products. Lee has at times used zinc in noncritical parts.

Pot Metal by definition includes such alloys as zinc, lead, copper, and .among others.

My Load-Master is 22 years still going strong and I have never replaced any major component on it, the same can be said for my Pro-1000 and Turret presses though not as old. While I have scene broken and cracked Lee base plates and toggles all are easily replaced at Zero or minimal cost to the user.

123535 123536123537123538

I would also point out the some re-loaders that I have met could break an anvil with a rubber mallet and loose the pieces!

1bluehorse
12-03-2014, 09:43 PM
You REALLY need to re-think this and go Blue. Aluminum lasts a lot longer than pot metal.

What an arrogant statement.....both of the presses you're talking about are aluminum...and yes I have a "blue" press....also two "green ones"....and a red one...is a Lee Pro 1000 as good as the other Progressive brands, no, not in my opinion and probably the opinions of most others as well....but......always a but....for 170.00 ready to load with a case feeder, (as it is) progressive press that's almost like stealing....do they have issues, a couple, mostly the priming system, but it ain't that bad if you keep an eye on it.....yes, I also owned one of them years back....it worked just fine for me then and I never had any problem reloading pistol rounds with only three stations, maybe some have forgot how to adjust a seating die to also crimp....or look in a case to check for powder.....we sure get spoiled as we go along in this endeavor ....are there better presses, absolutely, but not for anywhere near 170 bucks.....and if you think a Lee press doesn't hold it's value I suggest you try and buy a good used one for 50% of original cost....not gonna happen.....they hold their value as much as any of the others (well close anyway)...[smilie=l:

geargnasher
12-03-2014, 10:00 PM
Yet another simple Lee question bringing out all the blue sno/bs.

I'm a Red snob, own six Pro-1000s, two classic turrets, and have built several single-stage or turrets out of spare parts from other hybrid projects, mainly classic turret base with Pro-1000 tops. Works for me. Caliber changes and setup is a beeatch so I just bought a Pro-1K in each pistol caliber I shoot and have a spare, loaded, adjusted turret head for the .38/.357. You have to remove and gut the shellplate carrier to change the shellplate and/or the primer chute and punch size, so I'd advise buying a new, loaded 9mm shellplate carrier and swapping the whole enchilada back and forth on the ram (also buy an extra die plate for 9mm and dedicated dies for it so you don't lose adjustments screwing them in and out or using them in other presses). The case feeder z-bar is different as is the case slider and tubes. Other than that, if you have any mechanical aptitude at all, AND A STURDY BENCH, you should be fine with the Lee. Wobbly benches cause problems.

Gear

dikman
12-04-2014, 01:16 AM
Yet another simple Lee question bringing out all the blue sno/bs.
Gear

Shouldn't that be (s)nobs? [smilie=1:

jmort
12-04-2014, 01:24 AM
There is no bs in (s)nobs.

Moonie
12-04-2014, 09:04 AM
I have both the Pro1000 and the Loadmaster, I like them both, I do wish the Pro1000 had a fourth station though.

Progressive threads (non blue ones) do have the ability to bring out the blue fans, reminds me of the Harley crowd, do they need a support group to justify spending that much money?

My red presses do all I need at a price I was happy to pay.

dikman
12-04-2014, 04:59 PM
reminds me of the Harley crowd, do they need a support group to justify spending that much money?
:lol::lol:

You forgot to add "to buy a tractor".

At least I know my Guzzi started life as a tractor engine [smilie=1:.

And back on topic, I've just bought an earlier model Lee 1000 progressive (at least, I think that's what it is) from a member on another forum. I suspect it's a bit the worse for wear, and may need a bit of work. Sounds like the primer tray is missing, but that's easily replaced. Should be a fun project.

44Vaquero
12-04-2014, 05:17 PM
Dikman,

Pictures please, it is fairly easy to tell you what's missing and which model it is. I have rebuilt many for friends.

charlie b
12-04-2014, 11:51 PM
:lol::lol:

You forgot to add "to buy a tractor".

At least I know my Guzzi started life as a tractor engine [smilie=1:.

And back on topic, I've just bought an earlier model Lee 1000 progressive (at least, I think that's what it is) from a member on another forum. I suspect it's a bit the worse for wear, and may need a bit of work. Sounds like the primer tray is missing, but that's easily replaced. Should be a fun project.
Hey another Guzzi owner who also has Lee stuff!!! Mine are an 850T5 and Loadmaster (.45, .357, .32acp, .30 Mauser, and .30-30).

Have used Lee stuff since the first turret press came out.

If I were loading a 1000rds a week maybe a Dillon would make sense.

dikman
12-05-2014, 04:56 AM
Hi Charlie, I have a Breva, fitted out for touring (it's a great tourer). A very quirky bike, to say the least - the Italians have strange ideas on electrical wiring - but I love it. It is very "agricultural" but it doesn't pretend to be anything else. I was going to buy a Harley once, but fortunately commonsense prevailed and I bought a Bonneville instead :bigsmyl2:.

Vaquero, thanks for the offer to help identify it. I've only seen a couple of poor quality phone photos so far, and won't have it until next week (unless Australia Post send it the long way round, like the last parcel from the same guy!!), but looking at photos on the 'net has given me some idea about it. It has the large heavy handle, with a big wooden knob, and the powder feeder has the rectangular hopper (it comes with two) so isn't the Pro version. It's in working condition, but I suspect it's probably a bit the worse for wear. No real problem, as the beauty of Lee stuff is that it can be worked on - repaired/modified etc - and bits are available for them. Once I know what I need I'll put in an order to Titan for the parts.

I actually only wanted the powder feeder (for my turret press) but I figured I might as well take the lot - a nice (Xmas) toy for me to play with :D.

charlie b
12-05-2014, 08:52 PM
Hi Charlie, I have a Breva, fitted out for touring (it's a great tourer). A very quirky bike, to say the least - the Italians have strange ideas on electrical wiring - but I love it. It is very "agricultural" but it doesn't pretend to be anything else. I was going to buy a Harley once, but fortunately commonsense prevailed and I bought a Bonneville instead :bigsmyl2:.

So, you have a modern tractor :) Mine turned 30yrs old this year. Qualifies for historic vehicle plates :)

Never wanted a Harley. Had a couple Hondas. Wanted a Beemer for a while but a quick slap upside the head solved that :)

Mine is fitted for touring. Full police fairing (same as the one on the SPIII), solo seat, ammo cans for panniers and a top box.

geargnasher
12-05-2014, 10:18 PM
Dikman, Lee made a lot of small changes over the years to the P1K. One was the hole in the side of the ram that lets the spent primers out, early ones spit the primers all over the place and later ones are more "directional". I have a few extra parts too if you need any, but only old-style rams. Another thing to look for is the tab with a hole through it cast into the back of the shellplate carrier, next to the primer chute. It's for the ProAutodisk measure's pullback chain, the older carriers prior to that measure's production didn't have that and the measure retracted via spring power.

Gear

EddieNFL
12-06-2014, 04:51 PM
you get what you pay for.

Not always. But you never get what you don't pay for.

rollmyown
12-06-2014, 06:30 PM
Hey another Guzzi owner who also has Lee stuff!!! Mine are an 850T5 and Loadmaster (.45, .357, .32acp, .30 Mauser, and .30-30).

Have used Lee stuff since the first turret press came out.

If I were loading a 1000rds a week maybe a Dillon would make sense.

Another Guzzi fan here. I've had 2 (both Lemans Mk 4's). I have an MV Agusta 910R now. I do lust after the new model California :-)

FWIW, I have blue and red stuff. The blue I've had 3 years and never got around to setting it up. Probably because I'm pretty satisfied with the output of the classic cast turret.

dlbarr
12-06-2014, 07:13 PM
Well this is a relief to me....

I thought you were talking about your political persuasion!

dikman
12-06-2014, 08:32 PM
Thanks gg, I'm becoming very intrigued now to see just what it is that I've bought. I've seen a couple of vids on youtube where they've replaced the chain with a spring :smile: (they reckon it works better....).

charlie b
12-06-2014, 09:31 PM
Another Guzzi fan here. I've had 2 (both Lemans Mk 4's). I have an MV Agusta 910R now. I do lust after the new model California :-)

FWIW, I have blue and red stuff. The blue I've had 3 years and never got around to setting it up. Probably because I'm pretty satisfied with the output of the classic cast turret.
Cool. Have seen the new one, but the forward pegs just aren't for me. I think about upgrading every now and then, but, my old bike just keeps on running.

goosehead
12-07-2014, 07:06 AM
The Hornady Lock n Load AP is a great press, I love mine. MidSouth Shooters has about the best price I've seen. Hornady has been great on warranty parts. I'd like to have a Dillion just to say I have one. But I can get 2 LnL AP's for what a 650 new would cost me by the time I buy Dillon Dies and Conversion kits for 4 change overs.

r1kk1
12-07-2014, 11:58 PM
I have both the Pro1000 and the Loadmaster, I like them both, I do wish the Pro1000 had a fourth station though.

Progressive threads (non blue ones) do have the ability to bring out the blue fans, reminds me of the Harley crowd, do they need a support group to justify spending that much money?

My red presses do all I need at a price I was happy to pay.

Funny.

i don't think you've priced Goldwings, BMWs, Triumphs, and FJRs lately. I've seen these on IBA runs as well as my Harley. When number six hits a 100k miles, I will buy number seven. I've had a penchant for two stroke bikes like the GT 500, GT 750, RZ 350, and H2. They have all came and gone. I did love the Laverda triple until I couldn't get parts. All the two strokers are gone. They were fun bikes. I had a mirror break and sent my wife to Freedom cycles to get me a new one. She asked what to look for. I said here, it's a long stem. She came out and said that was 8 bucks and bought a set of mirrors for her Virago that cost around a 100.00. Oh well. On a run from Phoenix, AZ to Norman, OK in November, my clutch could not be depressed. This happened in Montoya, NM and there is a Harley Davidson dealer in Amarillo, TX. It was very cold that year with snow flurries. I started the bike in 2nd gear and clutch less shifted it to the dealer, 100 miles away. I pulled in, shifted to neutral, took my helmet off and explained to the guy what had happened. He said I had ice in my beard, get a cup of coffee and he would fix it. Cost was .50 cents to put the nut on the basket back on. I bought a sweatshirt.

Enough of bikes. Riding them since I was eight years old.

I've been pulling the handle on a LNL that belongs to a friend. I'm pretty impressed with it. It will use anybody's lock rings and I'm partial to Forster/Sinclair lock rings. I believe the same can be said of the RCBS 2000. The RCBS Pro 2000 and 1050 are the only two current progressives that have a steel/iron frame. Another plus to the LNL is the huge assortment of shellplates available to load for rom .17 caliber to .50 caliber non BMG stuff. It may or may not have the edge over the 550 for the largest spread of cartridges that can be loaded. This is why I bought the 550 even though it started life in the 80s as a 450 when I bought it. I have seen an article on the web about 100k rounds loaded on the RCBS Pro. Great read. Broke the round counter on my press in the 90,000 round count. That was about 10 years or so ago. I know I have loaded as many as JMorris or others have done. I can say the .17 Remington and Ackley Hornet are a hoot to shoot but those tiny pills are hard on my fingers. I like variations on the .460 S&W, 475 Linebaugh, 500 S&W, 500 Linebaugh and Alaskan cartridges. Owning the Linebaugh will require a custom funnel made if I use the Dillon Measure.

To me, I need a versatile, reliable, long lasting press. I have no idea of the longevity of the LNLs, LMs and RCBS pro 2000, they came into being long after I had my press. Time will tell.

I've never justified a price of anything to anyone. I don't expect anyone to. Bought a new King Ranch dualie 4x4 two years ago. Does what I need and a hoot to drive. Pulls anything I own. Just pulled a 29' Anderson tandem axle, dualie wheels up a 11% dirt grade to the ranch. On its back was another trailer, two motorcycles, and two pallets of lead among a few other things. Not a problem. Uneventful. Just the way I like things. My other trailer is an Open Range semi custom 40 footer my wife an I live in when we do travel assignments. Uneventful. Love what I have. Best money I've spent.

Take care and buy what you want. I don't tinker, I just reload, been that way for decades and it's been uneventful!

r1kk1

dikman
12-08-2014, 01:27 AM
Now where's the fun in that? ;). It's rare that I'll buy something and not modify/improve/tinker with it. Most things are made to a price, so a little bit of work on them will generally make them just that bit better (sometimes a LOT better :smile:). I'm really looking forward to this used press wot I just bought - I know it's "functional" but suspect its going to need my undivided attention for a while :lol:.

I guess for the OP like everything else it all comes down to $$. Lee provide the best value for your $$ if you're trying to control your spending, but if $$ isn't a problem there's undoubtedly some very nice gear out there. (Not a problem for me because the high cost of Dillon/Hornady etc here puts them well out of my reach).

Jtarm
12-08-2014, 01:25 PM
Yea, most used reloading equipment sells not too far off retail (provided it's in decent shape) from what I have seen and I have been watching for used presses a lot lately.

I decided my time was worth more than whatever pittance I might save shopping used and ordered a LNL AP. Also after reading reviews of the Lee (which are extremely hot & cold), it looked like they took a lot of futzing to get & keep them working, which again defeats the time/convenience incentive. I want to spend my time loading.

I love the Hornady thus far, but if I decide to get another I'll be taking a hard look at Dillon & RCBs. For one I bought the Hornady cuz it's about $50 cheaper and the bullet rebate. But them I realized it didn't come with a shell plate, $30, and I believe the Dillons come with dies. I also like the looks of the removable tool head for quick load changes with pre-adjusted dies, although the Hornady quick lock bushings are ok.

Sure wish there was some place I could try the Dillon & RCBs.

Buy quality and it only hurts once:-)

oldfart1956
12-08-2014, 10:04 PM
So's not to muddy the waters here could I prevail on one of you fellers to post a short tutorial on the modified pull-chain-to-spring thing for the Lee Pro 1000? Or perhaps a link to it on YouTube? I don't seem to be finding it. If you're buying the spring at Lowes/Home Depot an item number would be priceless. And is there a reason the Auto_Drop doesn't work with the case activated Lee dies that I'm not getting? Audie...the befuddled Oldfart..

1911KY
12-08-2014, 10:16 PM
I decided my time was worth more than whatever pittance I might save shopping used and ordered a LNL AP. Also after reading reviews of the Lee (which are extremely hot & cold), it looked like they took a lot of futzing to get & keep them working, which again defeats the time/convenience incentive. I want to spend my time loading.

I love the Hornady thus far, but if I decide to get another I'll be taking a hard look at Dillon & RCBs. For one I bought the Hornady cuz it's about $50 cheaper and the bullet rebate. But them I realized it didn't come with a shell plate, $30, and I believe the Dillons come with dies. I also like the looks of the removable tool head for quick load changes with pre-adjusted dies, although the Hornady quick lock bushings are ok.

I just bought the same press on black friday from midsouth. Working on a dedicated press table so I can set it up. I only plan on loading 45 acp on mine, so the die change out wasn't a huge factor in my decision. Even though the bushing system is pretty quick.

charlie b
12-08-2014, 11:41 PM

I like these kinds of statements. If true then you should be buying this
http://www.ammoload.com/mark_x_pistol.htm

:D :D :D

We all make decisions about how much something should cost and what the payoff is in terms of time, money and enjoyment.

So, some buy a Miata, some a Vette and some a Ferrari. They all get you where you need to go. I'd love a Ferrari but never be able to drive it to it's potential. Basically same for the Vette. So, I have the Miata of reloading presses :D

dikman
12-09-2014, 01:31 AM
Try this, old man - www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EMgRKnKps8. There's also a few on replacing the chain with a better chain or a piece of wire.

Nothing wrong with that, charlie, as long as it works for you is all that matters. :drinks:

Artful
12-09-2014, 02:13 AM
Charlie B - having had friends who were using truly automated presses like that, I will say they have their place
but when you get a powder kernal in the priming station and they start setting off primer's it's as exciting as I ever want to experience when reloading.

Digger
12-09-2014, 09:02 AM

Wish you were in the neighborhood ......
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?260892-Update-Gardnerville-Lake-Tahoe-area-Nevada

EddieNFL
12-09-2014, 09:05 PM

Using that logic, we should buy a Peterbilt 379 to tow a boat when all we need is a 3/4 ton pickup.

r1kk1
12-09-2014, 09:16 PM
Using that logic, we should buy a Peterbilt 379 to tow a boat when all we need is a 3/4 ton pickup.

Depends on the boat.

r1kk1

EddieNFL
12-09-2014, 09:24 PM
Boat versus ship.

charlie b
12-09-2014, 09:27 PM

Yep :D :D :D

And that's why I use a Lee instead of a Dillon :D

EddieNFL
12-09-2014, 09:34 PM
Disregard...point missed.

oldfart1956
12-09-2014, 09:39 PM
Try this, old man - www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EMgRKnKps8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EMgRKnKps8). There's also a few on replacing the chain with a better chain or a piece of wire.

. :drinks: Thank You!!! Audie...the Oldfart..

charlie b
12-10-2014, 12:17 AM
Disregard...point missed.
Nope, I got it. :) :) :)

Jtarm
12-10-2014, 12:43 AM

We all make decisions about how much something should cost and what the payoff is in terms of time, money and enjoyment.

So, some buy a Miata, some a Vette and some a Ferrari. They all get you where you need to go. I'd love a Ferrari but never be able to drive it to it's potential. Basically same for the Vette. So, I have the Miata of reloading presses :D

I'm sure that's one primo reloader, but:
Glitz + bells & whistles + high sticker price != quality.

Quality is all about reliability and consistency.

My Toyota Tundra is a quality vehicle. My wife's Cadillac SRX is junk

BTW: GM just put a stop sell on the Corvette.

Jtarm
12-10-2014, 08:31 AM

I'm referring to products in the same class. As someone pointed out, you don't buy a Peterbilt to tow your bass boat.

Luxury & quality aren't the same thing.

My Toyota Tundra is a poster child for quality. 170k miles, nothing but a new alternator (that was at about 160k,)

My wife's Cadillac has spent more time in the shop than the driveway

BTW: GM just put a stop sell on the Corvette:-)

charlie b
12-10-2014, 10:11 AM
Yep, qualify the statement. That's why I laugh everytime someone uses it.

So a Viper instead of a Vette. Same performance class, huge cost difference.

And you probably don't know cars much as the Ferrari is not that much performance difference over a Vette, it is 90% brand name.

EddieNFL
12-10-2014, 09:33 PM
My Toyota Tundra is a poster child for quality. 170k miles, nothing but a new alternator (that was at about 160k,)

Gave my '06 Tundra to my son last spring. Had two miles on the odometer when I bought it. Tires, routine maintenance and one battery. Replaced it with a '14.

mdr8088
12-13-2014, 03:12 PM
Thanks guys. The tractor and truck talk might not have been the most helpful, but entertaining. Since money is tight you won't find an Italian sports car in my driveway. lol I was leaning toward the pro 1000, but might go with the classic turret instead. Less complicated and less parts to buy to switch over. Some one said somewhere, you can make more ammo on a progressive, but you can make more mistakes more quickly too. Thanks again, Merry Christmas.

Garyshome
12-13-2014, 03:32 PM
Dillon!

Lefty Red
12-13-2014, 06:21 PM
If I was going LEE, I would go the Classic Turret Press or the Loadmaster. Buddy is in the same situation as you and after much beer drinking, I suggested the Loadmaster over the Pro 1000.

One thing about the CTP, or at least I think it, is you can "upgrade" it a bit with an Inline case ejector with bins and an ergo handle. I just ordered those for my CTP that I am keeping now and setting up for 45ACP and 30 Carbine runs.

If I was just going to load one caliber, then I would go for the Loadmaster.

Jerry