PDA

View Full Version : Which one.......like huntersdog situation

hpdrifter
12-01-2014, 08:22 PM
I don't want to hijack huntersdog thread asking which Ruger, but I've got the same question. Little different circumstances.

I'd really like to have a SS Bisley Hunter in 45 Colt, but that's not in the books.:cry: Deer and hogs with some targets is all the action it'd probably see.

Seems my choice is a Regular Blued 7.5" BH in 45 Colt(0447) or a SS Bisley Hunter in 44 Mag(0862).

I don't really want to reload another round, the 44. It'd be ok, but not really wanting to. Already set up for 45 Colt, been kicking them out regularly.

I've already got a 5.5 BH 45 Colt with the plow handle. I like it just fine, but..........you know the wants have set in. I want a Bisley.

Both is NOT an option now. I'm trading in a couple of guns to get this one toll free.

I don't plan on putting a scope on it, but the option would be nice, just to see how good it (or me) can be

I am worried that with 2 45 Colts one might get neglected(:veryconfu). I suppose I could use it for trade fodder later.:shock:

I need some guidance!! I can't make up my mind. I do need both(ha), but that ain't happening anyway soon.

I'm leaning towards the blue 7.5" 45 Colt. Someone tell me why to get the 44 mag Hunter....or not

osteodoc08
12-02-2014, 09:49 AM
If you're set up for the 45 Colt, stick with that. A 5.5"
gun and a 7.5" gun handle completely different. That being said, if no plan of scoping, consider just shooting your current 45 Colt and maybe spend the money elsewhere, like a new mold.

if you're having to let go of some other trading fodder, I wouldnt be so quick to trade for another. If you didn't shoot it much and won't be happy with it, what good has come of it other than deplete your collection further? I say be patient young grasshopper and figure out what you want.

Cornbread
12-02-2014, 10:14 AM
I would stick with 45 as you are already setup for it. I have multiple revolvers in 45 colt and 454 Casull and I have not noticed a neglect problem with having that many. I just put 400 rounds through 3 of them the other day as a matter of fact. I'm looking at getting a 45 colt lever action and a 454 Casull lever action pretty soon too. If shooting, casting, and reloading are your hobby your guns won't be neglected and if you find you don't have time for one, you can always sell it. That's what I did with my 357s when I went to shooting mostly 45 caliber guns.

rintinglen
12-02-2014, 10:27 AM
I have generally found 44 Mags to be more accurate than 45's, especially rugers. YMMV, and rumor unsubstantiated by any recent purchase on my part, suggests that most 45 Colt Rugers run too tight in the throat for best accuracy. However, that is easily remediable, albeit at a cost of some gunsmithing, if true and would be offset by the cost savings of not having to buy another set of dies, molds and sizers. Ultimately it boils down to whether commonality of components exceeds the desirable features of specialization. Me, I have the 44 Hunter and two 45 Colt Vaqueros. But I freely admit to being a gun nut with more guns than I can rationally explain. And way more molds.:bigsmyl2:

hpdrifter
12-02-2014, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the input, but I couldn't read the early morning messages; at work. But today at noon, I ordered the 44 Bisley Hunter. What the heck, huh?

FlatTop45LC
12-02-2014, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the input, but I couldn't read the early morning messages; at work. But today at noon, I ordered the 44 Bisley Hunter. What the heck, huh?
Good luck with your new revolver!

You should not have any trouble getting good accuracy out of that one!

hpdrifter
12-02-2014, 09:09 PM
Thanks FT45LC. I sho hope it's accurate. Might make up some for me.

JSH
12-02-2014, 09:53 PM
I am of no help really either. I shunned .41 mags for a long time. I am now thinking about a .41 mag bisley hunter. I'd don't load for it till last year. It worked out so well I jumped on the 45 colt wagon too.
I didn't ask what you did because I knew no one would talk me out of it. Then they would just throw gas on the fire by saying that didn't know how a body could have gotten along with out one, lol.
Jeff

Lefty Red
12-03-2014, 02:03 AM
Yeah, this trimming down to one caliber thing isn't working out too good for me either. At least I have narrowed them all down to ".4something"!

Jerry

contender1
12-03-2014, 10:08 AM
Well, like I mentioned in the other post, I have a fair selection of Rugers. The Hunter version allows for easier mounting of a scope or such. A big plus if that is your wish. The Bisley grip frames are very nice & offer a different feel under recoil. Many prefer them, and some don't like them. I hope you've shot one before doing a trade or sale.
I'd keep that 5.5 Ruger in 45 Colt. You WILL regret it DEEPLY if you let it go. Sell other stuff, work overtime, beg the money on the street corner, whatever to pay for the 44 Hunter. Do not trade.
I call it "seller's remorse." I stopped swapping & selling other guns a long time ago unless I knew, FOR SURE I'd not regret it later. I looked at other ways to pay for my gun habits.
Neglecting one over the other,,, highly doubtful.
I own over a dozen 45 Colts & I still shoot as many of them as I want. (Some are safe queens & will not be shot.)
Remember, money can be earned, but replacing a firearm, even "one just like it" will never be easy or the same.

rintinglen
12-03-2014, 10:13 AM
I've been meaning to try that one caliber deal myself.
I currently reload 32 ACP, 32 S&W LONG, 32 H&R, 327 Federal, 380, 9 mm, 9mm Largo, 38 S&W, 38 Special, 357 magnum, 44 Special, 44 Magnum, 45 ACP, and 45 Colt. I have managed not to load 40 S&W and 25 ACP, despite owning guns in these calibers, and I did sell my lone 41 Magnum a few years back.

hpdrifter
12-03-2014, 07:47 PM
I plan on keeping the Ruger 45 colt. It's not going anywhere. I traded a TC Contender with a 45 Colt barrel(not 410). I just did not like that pistol. I won't regret that one bit. I did trade off another gun that I MIGHT some day regret, but I doubt it. It gave me no REAL joy to shoot it. It just complicated my life of reloading.

Have not SHOT a Bisley but have fondled a few. Feels real good to me. My plow handle 45 has Hogue grips on it for shooting heavy loads. I'll probably(maybe) put the wood grips back on it and tame the reloads a bit if the 44 works out OK. The Hogues are good for shooting, but not much on looks.

Thanks for yalls thoughts.

Dang rintinglen, what'd that 41 do to ya? Make you mad or sumpin?