PDA

View Full Version : Bling for a H&R

dagger dog
12-01-2014, 05:41 PM
Check out the brass123395123396on this .410 bore.

All I did was a little polishing, the parts we made by a member here, I will let him step forward and claim the kudos.

Skipper
12-01-2014, 05:47 PM
Who made the parts?

dagger dog
12-01-2014, 07:44 PM
Who made the parts?

Skipper at this time I would rather let him remain incognito as he is still working on this project.

So eat your heart out. :kidding:

Skipper
12-01-2014, 07:48 PM
You really know how to "Twist the knife", don't you :-P

Bzcraig
12-01-2014, 07:50 PM
one thing we know is he has skills!!

dagger dog
12-01-2014, 08:19 PM
one thing we know is he has skills!!

Tell me about it !

The fore end spacer and trigger guard are just about drop in fit, hit it a lick or two with a file and hand polished with emery paper. A real piece of work. I'm sure he will acknowledge soon.

dlbarr
12-01-2014, 08:22 PM
Skipper at this time I would rather let him remain incognito as he is still working on this project.

So eat your heart out. :kidding:

He cannot possibly remain anonymous for long...there are too many of us here who need parts like that!

nanuk
12-03-2014, 12:45 AM
darn toot'n

Catshooter
12-04-2014, 01:37 AM
Especially if the price is reasonable! C'mon baby.

Cat

Bored1
12-04-2014, 01:40 AM
WOW! That's really nice work. I need a few pieces! Not sure for what or on what, but with work that turns out like that I am sure I can find sumthin that needs done!

Tatume
12-04-2014, 07:28 AM
A part I would like to have, purely for cosmetic value, is a quality opening button. The bent sheet metal affair just looks tacky to me. It should be possible to build up a factory part with weld metal, and then file it to look like a machined part. It would look even better with checkering on top.

Dinny
12-04-2014, 09:18 AM
A part I would like to have, purely for cosmetic value, is a quality opening button. The bent sheet metal affair just looks tacky to me. It should be possible to build up a factory part with weld metal, and then file it to look like a machined part. It would look even better with checkering on top.

How about hand checkering the existing barrel release button and cold bluing it afterwards. Either way, I think you're onto something there.

Thanks, Dinny

nanuk
12-04-2014, 10:09 AM
How about hand checkering the existing barrel release button and cold bluing it afterwards. Either way, I think you're onto something there.

Thanks, Dinny

Dinny, that is a good idea.

dagger dog
12-04-2014, 03:53 PM
The 2 parts were the fore end spacer and the trigger guard, made by using the EMD process, they are plastic on the recent Handi or Pardner rifle - shotgun.

The maker is loathe to 'fess up as the demand could overload his personal need to produce the product.
Anyone knows once the "fun" is gone it quickly turns to drudgery.

dlbarr
12-04-2014, 05:51 PM
The 2 parts were the fore end spacer and the trigger guard, made by using the EMD process, they are plastic on the recent Handi or Pardner rifle - shotgun.

The maker is loathe to 'fess up as the demand could overload his personal need to produce the product.
Anyone knows once the "fun" is gone it quickly turns to drudgery.

Dagger, btw what is the "EMD process"? Never heard of that...

kywoodwrkr
12-04-2014, 06:23 PM
Dagger dog,
Thanks for running interference for me. But it's time to get everything out on the table.

I lost a trigger guard on a H&R from heat from a fire and I decided I wanted a steel one, and H&R didn't sell them anymore.
I retired(after40 years) in 2007 and started taking machine tool classes at local Kentucky community college/technical college(Vocational) in Elizabethtown.
I decided to create some items I either couldn't afford or were no longer available.
Long story short. I now have CNC drawings and G code programs for the TG and fore end piece for the H&R handi. I obtained enough brass to cut/burn four sets. You have seen the first set completed. Dagger dog bought some parts I had in the WTS section. In our communications he said he had an additional H&R he wanted to replace the two parts on. I asked him if he'd like to be my beta test site. That's how we got here.
And they look better than if I had done them!:oops:
Next January I will be assisting in a night class in CNC wire EDM and I'll have the opportunity to create a few more sets.
There will a very limited number.
When I have one or more sets done I will return to this forum and detail a method of obtaining one if desired.
Making these is a method of stimulating my brain, not for profit, $ profit anyway.
Don't want to sound nasty, grouchy maybe, but I will not answer any PM's concerning these because I have many other projects I am actively working on and I want to safe guard my time. Thanks.

kywoodwrkr
12-04-2014, 06:30 PM
Dagger, btw what is the "EMD process"? Never heard of that...

It's EDM and I probably mis-keyed in my notes to dd.
EDM=Electrical Discharge machining. I used wire in my process, there is sinker EDM as well.
http://www.thomasnet.com/articles/custom-manufacturing-fabricating/Wire-Cut-EDM

Taylor
12-04-2014, 06:32 PM
My HR needs those too!!!

dlbarr
12-04-2014, 06:34 PM
Thanks kywoodwrkr, we (certainly at least I) will wait expectantly to hear more from you on this matter.

Rkeeper1
12-04-2014, 07:48 PM
Holy cow! Beautiful!

geargnasher
12-04-2014, 08:11 PM
Want! Want Bad! You gone and done it now. I understand that creating the beta set probably completed the purpose already, and you're probably not interested in dealing with what amounts to a sign-up list for a small group buy, but if you do, please put my name on the list for "next available". I'll be watching for the next set, get ready for a dogfight in S&S!

Gear

Greg
12-04-2014, 09:07 PM
Kywoodwrkr

I would also like to be on the (possible) list for:

1 brass fore end spacer;

1 steel fore end spacer;

1 steel trigger guard;

bruce drake
12-05-2014, 10:09 PM
that picture with the brass triggerguard shows some quality work!

dlbarr
12-05-2014, 10:53 PM
OK, looks like this has started....I'm just gonna put my name on the list. I have steel spacers already but I want:

3 trigger guards (really)
2 TGs will do if I must
and I will settle for only one (1) if the maker says I have to.

There. Hope I get what I want. [smilie=w:

eddie56
12-06-2014, 02:22 AM
If you start selling these items I would like one brass trigger guard and one brass forearm spaces.

Catshooter
12-06-2014, 05:47 AM
Ky,

Congrats on your retirement. I did it six years ago now and I love it.

Just to give you an idea of needs, I also could go for two of each, if you do go down that road.

Cat

Tom Ruley
12-06-2014, 06:05 AM
I have a friend who worked up a program for a CNC to turn out 1911 grips, would you like for me to see if I can get you a copy?

Taylor
12-06-2014, 08:14 AM
hey I'm all about being on the list ,let us know when things are in production

GhostHawk
12-06-2014, 08:55 AM
You can put my name on the list for a trigger guard.

I suspect the fun part of this is for the creator done. The gruntwork side no one is really interested in.
Even if you found a company that could mass produce the part. Who are you going to find to final fit and polish all those brass parts?

That is tedious smelly miserable work in my experience.

kywoodwrkr
12-06-2014, 11:23 AM
I have a friend who worked up a program for a CNC to turn out 1911 grips, would you like for me to see if I can get you a copy?
Tom,
Appreciate the offer.
I have drawn up a fixture to hold what ever material and have written the program to shape 1911 panels.
Think I have a spinoff for the various checkering as well, if I remember correctly.
For everyone:
I will not be making a list.
That's why I left a six digit job-lists! too many lists, and I was always on the wrong one!
As I make any of these they will be available in a manner you all will be able to participate in.
But that's the cart before the horse.
I have three sets of solid brass parts to finish mill before I go anywhere with them.
Hopefully after first of the year I can get the machine time I need to finish the three and cut some steel out.
I can appreciate the desire for any kind of metal. That plastic is, in the terms of a friends young son, YUCK!
But I do have to say it is serviceable.
Thanks.