PDA

View Full Version : RWS caps and Goex

Blackwater
12-01-2014, 03:39 PM
The 2F Goex I have a supply of is the old "musket grade" type, and tends to like hotter primers to shoot well in BPCR use. I've read that RWS caps are "hotter" than Rem or CCI's, and wonder if they'd be better for muzzleloading with my Goex 2F. Can any of you comment on them? I know they're spendy, but with the time it takes to reload, that's not quite the onus it might be in a repeating gun. Do any of you find the RWS primers give better ignition & thus, accuracy, than Rem or CCI's?

smilin jack
12-01-2014, 09:29 PM
Have used two tins of the RWS musket caps and several of the CCI and Remingtons. Also many tins of #11 Rem and CCI caps in the smaller rifles.
All seem to work OK using Goex 3fff, even in the 58 cal. I just use less of the 3fff. Elk hunting in snow and rain makes it harder to light off 2ff and the 3fff seems to burn cleaner.
Dave

Zouave 58
12-02-2014, 11:01 PM
I've used RWS caps exclusively since back in the 1960's and found them to be consistent lot to lot with a formula change back about 20 years ago that made them slightly less hot but still first rate. I still have a few tins of the old formula and find equal accuracy from the old and the new. Back 50 years ago most of us found the RWS caps gave more consistent ignition of Dupont and later Goex 2fg. These days I use RWS with Swiss 2fg in an original 1841 Mississippi with excellent results. In fairness, I have not used Remington or CCI caps in a number of years.

fouronesix
12-03-2014, 12:32 AM
I burn only real BP so won't comment on what works best for this, that or the other sub powder. The RWS caps are and have been the benchmark for caps. Just hard to get sometimes and fairly expensive when they show up.

I found a brick of Rem #11s a couple months ago for $20 so put them in storage for a rainy day. I haven't used Rem caps since the 70s. I've always been a little skeptical about them as they tend to shed the internal foil compound covering and once in a while those foil liners can be found floating around in a tin of new, unopened Rem caps.

My go-to #11 caps have been the regular CCIs. Never an issue and they seem to have been very consistent over the years. I have mostly regular CCI #11s and some Magnum CCI #11s- backups for the large muskets if musket cap supplies dry up.

Musket caps are a different matter and a little hotter is usually better. Not that the hotter ones are any more accurate in muskets if swabbed or cleaned regularly during a range session, but the hotter musket caps will do a better job of blowing through fouling after long shot strings firing Miniés. The full power CCI musket caps have also been very consistent and plenty hot for musket use. Unfortunately CCI started production of the CCI Reenactor musket cap a couple or few years ago. They don't seem hot enough for long shot string musket shooting.

dagger dog
12-04-2014, 04:07 PM
Winchester has a "Magnum" #11 percussion primer, bought mine at Wally World, haven't shot any yet, but they are suppose to ignite replica black powder substitutes as Pyrodex RS and such.

Geezer in NH
12-04-2014, 06:50 PM
20 years of competition shooting with RWS Caps says they are the best IMHO

OverMax
12-05-2014, 01:40 AM
Got about 2-K RWS M/Caps in my stash. Don't want to use them. Being RWS caps are impossible to find locally. "They are the best over all the rest."_ So, I pulled my musket nipple and installed a Mag Spark.> Been happy ever since.

Naphtali
12-08-2014, 01:37 PM
The 2F Goex I have a supply of is the old "musket grade" type, and tends to like hotter primers to shoot well in BPCR use. I've read that RWS caps are "hotter" than Rem or CCI's, and wonder if they'd be better for muzzleloading with my Goex 2F. Can any of you comment on them? I know they're spendy, but with the time it takes to reload, that's not quite the onus it might be in a repeating gun. Do any of you find the RWS primers give better ignition & thus, accuracy, than Rem or CCI's? Unless other musket cap manufacturers have joined CCI, only CCI manufactures a "sub-standard" flanged musket cap. CCI's changed from being the hottest musket cap available, several years ago, to caps intended for reënactors. I believe CCI's marketing literature specifically mentions this (reënactors, not modest performance).

Hope this helps.