PDA

View Full Version : No doubt a dumb question Mauser barrel to RB

brstevns
12-01-2014, 02:24 PM
Has anyone tried to fit a Large Ring Mauser Barrel to a Remington Rolling Block? The dimensions look very close. How hard would this be to do?

Fishoot
12-01-2014, 05:55 PM
No, I haven't tried. However, Mauser threads are 55 degree Whitworth. The rolling blocks usually have square threads. Whitworth just won't mate with the square threads of a rolling block. Also, unless you have a No. 5 action, the strength would be questionable or just flat unsafe.

brstevns
12-01-2014, 06:08 PM
No, I haven't tried. However, Mauser threads are 55 degree Whitworth. The rolling blocks usually have square threads. Whitworth just won't mate with the square threads of a rolling block. Also, unless you have a No. 5 action, the strength would be questionable or just flat unsafe.Yes I do have a no.5 action. Would put back to 7mm.

Coffeecup
12-01-2014, 11:44 PM
If you've got the original barrel, you might be able to use it as a stub. Re-thread the Mauser barrel, and thread it into the stub.

brstevns
12-02-2014, 11:00 AM
If you've got the original barrel, you might be able to use it as a stub. Re-thread the Mauser barrel, and thread it into the stub. Do you think this is possible using standard hand die and tap set.

Fishoot
12-02-2014, 12:36 PM
I wouldn't recommend hand tools for this. You could probably do it, but the result would be disappointing. It is difficult to get a tap or a die square with the work. The axis of the stub would have to concentric with the barrel threads. To achieve this, you would need a lathe. Why not look for a local gunsmith? I have also seen services offered on some gun auction sites for rebarreling rollers. Also, recutting threads in a rolling block receiver puts the most valuable part of this effort in peril. Screw that up (no pun intended) and you end up with a paperweight.

rmatchell
12-02-2014, 04:17 PM
Have you tried Odin arms in Hillsboro yet they are great with rolling blocks.

brstevns
12-02-2014, 05:34 PM
Have you tried Odin arms in Hillsboro yet they are great with rolling blocks. Not yet, I did talk to the Smith at Top Gun.

brstevns
12-04-2014, 10:58 AM
I think I found some one to thread a stub and the barrel. Would 7/8 x 14 tpi work for both? Would this still leave enough metal over chamber ? This would be if left in 7mm

brstevns
01-01-2015, 01:27 PM
Gave up on the idea and found a old rem rb barrel to use.