PDA

View Full Version : Confused Ruger

joatmon
02-13-2008, 11:05 PM
Got a confused little single six the other day, 22LR/Mag. Old modle with a face lift
(sure do wish someone had let this one be! Four clicks to the cock,5.5" barrel,
dove tailed rear sight. I have wanted an old modle single six and 357 blackhawk
for years but never have the money when one surfaces. Saw this one and like a little kid I saw the rear sight,cocked and heard the 4 clicks,felt tight and looked
good. Asked the owner if he would hold it a few days and left. Went back with
the green and on the way home I noticed a TRANSFER BAR and thought well
shoot! Got home and thought "Those grips look the same as my new model" so
I pulled the grips and there was that -RED. Guess this was a parts gun for
somebody. The owner would take it back but this is as close as I've came to an
old model so I think I'll just keep it.

MtGun44
02-14-2008, 02:17 AM
Ruger has been converting old models to the transfer bar system for
safety for decades. They still will put new transfer bar internal into
any old model that is still unconverted. Given that my brother shot
himself in the foot with his Single Six back in the middle 1960s, I
have to say that the transfer bar conversion is a good idea.

Bill

EDK
02-14-2008, 01:01 PM
My cousin (6-2 and 200 pounds) and his brother-in-law (5-8 and 140) were out playing fast draw with a 22 single action, down by the creek so they'd have a hill for a back stop to their targets. Someone shot himself in the foot and had to be carried up hill to the truck...wanna guess who?

I'll assume that you didn't get a bag with the original lock work for your single six. If you had, it could be converted back. The parts bring a little money on the auctions...and don't even think about buying unused replacement parts for an Old Model Ruger!

:cbpour::redneck:

spurrit
02-24-2008, 07:18 AM
EDK,

Before I even bought my first Rugers, I bought a box of VAGC (Various, Assorted Gun Crap) for $5 at an auction. Turned out to have TWO of the conversion kits and one of the old, plain, brown boxes in it. I made almost $500 on that deal! (The best part was pissing my wife off, by yet again falling ass backwards into money, when she can't hardly make any by working!)