PDA

View Full Version : 40 S&W revolver

gon2shoot
02-13-2008, 10:44 PM
Been lurking around here a while and seems to be a pretty varied bunch, so heres my question.
Did some tradin here while back on a 646 S&W 40cal. It's one of them rimless things that need the moon clip, I aint too impressed with them so it's been gatherin dust, BUT it feels pretty good in my hand, and I have a 38-40 mold so.

Anybody know these guns and how :confused:

they shoot cast?

kirb
02-17-2008, 09:43 PM
I dont know about the 646 but I have a couple of the S&W 610 that shoot cast boolits great. I am using the magna 200 GR RN and the balisitc cast 180 GR RN. I shoot quie a few uspa matches and love the smiths accuracy is great, I use bullshop speed green lube and wst powder.

Kirb

Lloyd Smale
02-18-2008, 06:19 AM
I had one and it was a real fun gun. Only problem i ran into with it is it doesnt like alot of pressure. If you treat it like a 40 cal version of a 38special with clips its a ball. Its light and accurate. But the titanium cylinders tended to be a tad on the rough side and flexed alot so when you shot high pressure loads the cylinders would expand on shooting and then contract back down on the brass and you had to beat the cases out of it. Using something like wolf 40 ammo it only took one shot out of the 6 to make it about impossible to eject cases using the ejector. My buddy had one and still has his and it does the same. By the way both guns just loved the lyman 150 swc that looks like the .45acp 200 swc lyman. Its a discontinued mold but if you watch ebay they still show up once in a while. It was far and away the best shooting bullet in both of our guns. I never tried the lee 145 but its a simualar looking bullet. It was just that they didnt make it in a 6 cavity mold and i refuse to buy there two cavity molds anymore.

richbug
02-18-2008, 06:08 PM
Nickel brass helps extraction considerably. I shoot a 610 myself. I have no Idea how many rounds I have through it, but the cylinder stop notches in the cylinder are starting to get "hammered" from fast shooting, 5 years or so of IPSC. May send it back to S&W after another year for a replacement.

My favorite load is 4 grains of Solo 1000, a 200 grain Jacketed round nose from Berry's, and a Federal 100 primer in nickel Winchester brass, loaded to 1.20" OAL.

With the price of factory made Bullets, It will get fed lead this year. Lee's 175 TC loads OK, but not as good as the round nose. I was hoping for a 200 grain round nose group buy to come up, but it didn't.

gon2shoot
02-18-2008, 08:47 PM
I have a 180gr. RFN mold. I figgered on starting with about 5gr. of Unique.
Don't really plan on using it for anything in particular but, if I got it I'm gonna shoot it.

Thanks for the thoughts