PDA

View Full Version : Picked up another Sheridan

richhodg66
11-30-2014, 11:48 PM
In response to the .22 LR shortage, I picked up a very nice Blue Streak a few months ago for $80 and thought I did good. Shoots OK, haven't worked with it that much yet but hope to squirrel hunt with it sometime soon.

Was in a small shop Friday and there sat a nice Silver Streak for $49.99 and they were having a 10% off sal, so got it for a bit less along with some pellets (I was out of state in a shop I'd never been to). Seemed to work as well as my other one, but #2 son who attends college an hour away quickly claimed it and took it with him.

The Sheridan was one I always wanted as a kid and would hit a lot harder than the RWS one I had and killed many squirrels and a few rabbits with. I hadn't paid much attention to them in years and now have two of them.

Beagle333
11-30-2014, 11:52 PM
They are nice. I have a Blue Streak that was my grandfather's and I sent it off to get new seals and it works like new. It is great fun and deadly on squirrels and rabbits.

jaystuw
12-01-2014, 04:27 AM
I just bought a Benjamin 310 for 80 bucks. Its kinda along the same lines as your Sheridan, a powerfull muti-pumper. Like you, I haven't paid any attention to them for years. For me its been since the 70's when I had a Benjamin 242 (I think that's the model) in 22 cal. Anyway, I love my new (to me) 310. Even in my microscopic size California backyard I get away with shooting it as much as I want. Its a smooth bore bb gun that shoots really hard, 3 pumps deeply dents pre 82 copper pennies and a few more pumps sends bb's right thru the lemons that fall off of the tree then sticks the bb's in a wood board backstop. I've shot it so much that its already gone from a deep dark bronze color at the breach to a smooth light yellow were I hold my hand to pump. Its the best 80 bucks I have spent in a long time. Jay

GhostHawk
12-01-2014, 08:55 AM
Man I have an original Blue streak from 1977 and it still shoots like gangbusters.
So much so that when I had a chance to pick up a slightly newer one I jumped at it.
And I paid 150$ with shipping and in my opinion, worth every penny.

I also have the Crossman 1322 pistol in .22 and its fun.
But I don't think it quite has the accuracy as the Sheridan.

Your woman might leave you for another man, your truck might blow a tranny, your dog could die.
But your Sheridan will never let you down. Not if you treat it right.

rking22
12-01-2014, 09:29 PM
For those who like such things :) below link has timeline of Sheridan changes. I have a thumb trigger, a rocker and a Crossman period. Thumb trigger from first half of 1960 is my favorite, little younger than me !

http://ujays.net/sheridanc.html

richhodg66
12-02-2014, 01:34 AM
That's an interesting link. The Silver Streak I bought this past weekend has the holes for the receiver sight so it must be post 1984, right?

Just talked to #2 son who has it now and has been shooting it in a pellet trap I gave him at his place. He loves it. I need to get mine out and shoot it some more.

Lead Fred
12-02-2014, 05:58 AM
My Bud's father passed leaving him his Sheridan Silver Streak minted in 1973.
He gave it to me. While I was redoing the wood, I sent the action off and had a $60 job done to it.
It out shoots my Marlin 22 hands down, and I have the same scope on both.

Walmart had a sale on 20 cal pellets so I got 2000 for $16. Try and get rimfire ammo. I also got an original Sheridan red box of pellets with the rifle. Poor birds in my hood never know what hit them

Anyone want a Crossman 2289, mine does not seem to get used any more

richhodg66
12-02-2014, 07:59 AM
Where did you send yours for the action job and what did they do to it? Sounds intriguing, I may have to try that with one or both of mine.

lathesmith
12-11-2014, 10:02 PM
I always wanted a Sheridan as a kid, all I ever had was a Daisy 880! That's a great find, those are great guns, and will last a lifetime of shooting if properly cared for.

armexman
01-15-2015, 03:29 PM
Mr. 66,
Try and find MAC1 in southern California.
I have a BlueStreak that I purchased in 1979 and in 1996 I went to Cali, dropped it off somewhere in southwest LA and they sent it back to me with new seals, peep-sight and straightened barrel for ~$80 in 1993 dollars.
This airgun had close to 5,000 rounds through it at that time.
HTH

Pakprotector
01-16-2015, 08:52 PM
I have a few Sheridans too. Let me suggest the full Mac1 Steroid treatment, including the extended billet pump arm. Even if you have *NO* intention of going over the OE recommended 8 pumps, the longer lever arm makes pumping much nicer. I sent out a '63 and '73 rocker to Tim, and only got the extended billet on the '73 at first. The '63 got it about a year later...too nice not to...:D
cheers,
Douglas

richhodg66
01-17-2015, 05:11 AM
Thanks for the tip about MAC!, I will definitely look into it.

Dan Cash
01-17-2015, 07:06 PM
All of this talk about these neat old pellet guns gets me to wanting one. Wanted on as a kid as my cousin had one and it was a potent piece. Now I am old and don't shoot my Diana or Russian pistol to speak of. Too mucch other stuff going on.

Pakprotector
01-20-2015, 09:28 PM
IFF you want to run the pump count up a bit, both of those hit 20 FPE( 820 fps ) with JSB Exacts on 12 pumps...quite the cannon indeed.
cheers,
Douglas

RJM52
01-28-2015, 04:36 PM
Love the DANs...just wish I had bought one when I was a kid....

Posted this a few years ago over on the CampFire....

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5312328/Chrono_results_from_some_5mms#Post5312328

Anytime I can get a early decent Sheridan for less than $100 I buy it...the two the OP bought were bargains beyond compare....

Another good post from Rimfire Central...

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497476

http://sheridanguns.com/

Bob

ditchtiger
01-30-2015, 06:28 PM
A local gun store was given a Sheridan Blue Streak that was placed in a corner and ignored. I'm not an official employee but became friends with the owner so I help out behind the counter when needed. I said I'll clean and get the Sheridan up and running, so it followed me home. Did the minor work needed and took it back to the shop. During a lull at the store I mentioned the Sheridan and wanted to give it back, now in working order. My LGS friend said he did not want it back as he did not want to move it in and out of the vault at the end of the day and would not leave it out and night to be seen as an incentive for a break-in. It was mine. COOL!!!!
There is no wear on the metal finish anywhere. Is a .20 caliber and was made in 1979. I've around a dozen or so air rifles in my collection and this is a great addition.

rking22
02-02-2015, 08:59 PM
Good score, you can never have too many Dans , especially at that price.. I like the "got gaves"

Shooter6br
02-03-2015, 03:27 PM
Love my Benjamin 397. Mounted a scope and very pleased with it.

richhodg66
02-14-2015, 10:01 AM
The Blue Streak drew its first blood yesterday, a squirrel was unfortunate enough to hang around on a big oak tree in the yard long enough for me to get inside, find the rifle and get it loaded. The pellet I used looked very much like the old Beeman Silver Jets I used to shoot in my old RWS as a kid. Anyway, six pumps (which I thought was about a normal charge) sent a pellet most of the way through but lodged under the skin on the far side, this from maybe 35 feet away. The squirrel was angled so hit just behind the shoulder and it angled back, maybe three inches of penetration. It took it a while to expire and it made its way into a nest which was low enough in the tree that I could get at it with a ladder and recover the squirrel.

I hate to say it, but I'm a bit dissappointed. Seems like my old RWS Springer in .177 did as well on terminal performance on Gray sqirrels back in S.C. and it wasn't a particularly powerful one even then. The pellet is pointed and didn't deform much at all. Would a blunter pellet and a few more pumps make a difference?

Of course, what really needs to happen is for me to practice enough to make head shots, that would solve the problem.

GhostHawk
02-14-2015, 10:31 AM
As you noted, its all about bullet placement.

Running 2-400 rounds through it in several different scenarios, ie flat, up a tree, way up on a power line, etc.
Will most likely give you the confidence to start working on those head shots.

Aim small, miss small.

Squirrels can be tough as old boot leather.

Starlings are easier, are an invasive species, ring neck doves are another.

There is no equal to 500 or 1000 rounds of experience in all sorts of conditions at all sorts of targets.
It might not be a conscious thing. Sometimes I don't always know why I do certain things a certain way.
But when you hit it in the eye, its lights out, and falls down dead, well that's whats important.

Pakprotector
02-14-2015, 11:30 AM
6 Pumps is a mild charge; likely around 550 fps for a stock rifle. At that range I have blasted clean through their noggins on 5 pumps though( sighted to 10m at that power, and nailing one off a tree right past the porch).
cheers,
Douglas

prs
02-14-2015, 08:53 PM
Mine, a Blue Streak, was a gift to me from Dad back in 1966 for my 12th BD. Many of those yellow cartons of 5mm pellets have been exhausted. The gun has had no repairs and works great. Never has seem more than 8 pumps. My son was given a Silver Streak at age 12. His also shoots great to this day.

prs

RJM52
02-16-2015, 11:08 AM
When I was just starting hunting I had a squirrel absorb 9 rounds of .22 to the body.

If you are going to go for lung/heart shots I would like to suggest 1) 8 pumps 2) try the Crow Magnum HP

I busted a crow a few years ago at 35 yards with the standard Benjamin/Sheridan 13 grain pellet. Hit the crow in the right wing joint, went through the body and broke the left one on the way out....DRT

Same year I also took a red squirrel at 20 yards. Was shooting down hill and took him between the shoulder blades. He flopped around but died within a minute.

Precision and shot placement is the key with any gun but especially so with an air rifle...

Bob