PDA

View Full Version : Finally, I get a Lyman .311 sizer/luber die to work

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
11-30-2014, 05:53 PM
Some months back, I bought a new Accurate Mold for possible use with 30/30, .308, 30/06, and 300s and to make sure I had the correct sized sizer/luber dies available, I bought a .309, .310, and .311 die.

I have and use both the Lyman and the RCBS tools, so that is not an issue one way or the other.

The Accurate mold cast fine, great products by the way, and to get started I decided to start with the .311 die which provided me with a "first".

I stuck the bullet in the die! Grrrrrrr!! it went in very hard and I couldn't get it back out on the sizer/luber tool. Hmmmmmm???????

This is strange, something that I have never had happen before, ever.

Well, I was in contact with Tom at Accurate molds and sending "E"s back and forth so he says to send the mold back along with sample bullets, the sizing die etc.

His thought was that I possibly had a bad alloy, which I doubted as I had also cast some .444 bullets at the same time/same alloy in another Accurate Mold and everything went fine with that bullet.

Well, Tom cast some bullet from the mold I returned and those along with the samples I returned were all OK. The mold was fine and casting the proper dia.

Something was wrong with the die, but nothing that was readily apparent.

I sat on the project for awhile, but this past week with a son home and with him the .308, I wanted to get some sample cartridges made for that rifle with the bullets I'd cast.

I tried the .310 die for the first time, lubing the bullet with some RCBS #2 case lube just to hopefully prevent another stuck bullet.

By the way, a day or so earlier I again stuck another bullet in the .311 die.

The bullet, although tight went into and out of the .310 die. No problem

So, again driving the bullet from the .311 die I started to look it over internally really close. the center pin seemed to move smoothly with only an occasional hint of some hang up, but up close to the top of the die there seemed to be some roughness left over from the manufacturing process.

I took some 600grit wet/dry paper and wrapping some around a screw drive shaft until it was tight, honed the inside of the die a bit, then also the outside of center pin.

Put it back together and everything was smoooooth. Put the die in the RCBS tool, and this time prelubed the bullet. Success, I got the bullet back out. So, time to get the adjustments finalized and put pressure on the lube reservoir.

It worked, and now the bullets are going in and out just like normal.

I know the honing smoothed things up just a tad, but still wonder if that tiny bit made the difference.

The die was not dry to begin with, containing the light coating of oil applied by the factory, something which has always worked just fine in the past, but there was some glitch that threw a monkey wrench into the works.

Glad that is taken care of, as I really didn't know what the problem was or where to look next.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

claude
12-01-2014, 09:49 AM
What boolet did you settle on?

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-01-2014, 01:39 PM
Claude,

The Accurate Mold is the #311170S

CDOC

Wayne Smith
12-01-2014, 03:50 PM
So, what size is the die now??

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-01-2014, 05:00 PM
Wayne,

I'm thinking that the die was increased little if any with the #600 paper.

It was turned by hand and then only a minimal amount as I could apply only limited force.

As I attempted to increase the pressure I VERY quickly ran out of ability to turn the paper inside the die.

Sorry, I do not have a good dial caliper and the micrometer I have, I am challenged to read.

The marks at the top of the die were not removed, only possibly softened and I would not have been able to remove much if any metal in most of the die body.

However, the die does now work as expected and as every other die, RCBS or Lyman, has in the past.

I'll try to measure a bullet, but not sure I can get any meaningful info.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-01-2014, 06:13 PM
Wayne,

I have attempted to use the micrometer on the bullets and the un-sized bullets appear to be .313.

I first checked a .308 Hornady bullet, and the micrometer showed it to be right on .308.

The bullets through the troublesome .311 die are .312.

And a bullet through the .310 die which is as it came from Lyman is slightly under .311

Haven't used the .309 die I have on hand, but would guess if things follow this trend, that bullets through that die would be nearly .310.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Wayne Smith
12-02-2014, 09:07 AM
Sounds like you have a complete set! My suggestion is to mark them for what they actually are - I guarantee I would forget!

Ben
12-02-2014, 09:41 AM
I find that few sizing dies actually size a bullet to the dia. that is stamped as an " ID " on the die.

By the way, if I could only have one .30 cal. sizing die , it would be a .311".

Ben

EDG
12-02-2014, 12:13 PM
Coot
Your mike might be off .001 too. It is more likely off than 3 dies being off at the same time.

Try miking a jacketed bullet. They are usually right on the money.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-02-2014, 12:20 PM
Thanks guys!

Ben, I bought the three dies because of the verity of possible rifles that the bullet might be used in.

In truth, and this may change, but presently not looking for top notch accuracy, but rather a useful bullet in a push comes to shove situation.

It is just like the stash of "J" bullets I have in a few calibers that are OK but not my first choice and powders I have that might not be a given firearms preferred propellant, but will however allow those rifles to usefully go bang.

I'm not a true prepper, but do believe in having some preparedness. Kind of like I have been shooting during the current obamanation while some folk have been crying their eyes out due to a lack of foresight.

It will be interesting to get some testing done with this bullet, but for the present these 30 caliber rifles are not like my 45/70, that being a dedicated cast bullet shooter.

My son is thinking about a Marlin 30/30, and for that rifle, the whole picture might change.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-02-2014, 12:27 PM
EDG,

I did mike a Hornady "J" bullet, and the micrometer showed right on .308 as best I could see.

To show you how far I am from an expert ,:veryconfu I need to measure something like that "J" bullet, see what the mike says and then use that as a comparison for the other measurements. :oops:

That is what I did.

Guess I need a quality dial caliper, or a pooter savy 4 year old! :bigsmyl2:

CDOC