PDA

View Full Version : Help !

sav300
02-13-2008, 08:32 PM
Have I stuffed up? Melting WW into ingots my bench space was covered in hot ingots,so I threw them into water. Good idea at the time,now have I harden these ingots?I use a letter stamp to mark em and it is hard to mark.
Lionel

randyrat
02-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Yer fine, They will not be permanently hardened. They start life over again when you use them or you melt them into boolits. In other words, they will go back to WW hardness. I have some that i smelted in the dead of winter and i cooled them in the snow-very hard.

montana_charlie
02-13-2008, 10:14 PM
I thought I was the only one using letter stamps.
I use "I" for the ingots and "B" for bullets.

Haven't got confused since I started doing that...
CM

Shiloh
02-13-2008, 10:21 PM
I thought I was the only one using letter stamps.
I use "I" for the ingots and "B" for bullets.

Haven't got confused since I started doing that...
CM

Nope.

I mark my muffin ingots W or WW for wheel weights R for range scrap. The Range lead goes to pistol boolits and the WW for rifle boolits often sweetened with a little linotype if needed. I got a cheapy spring punch Letter and Number set from Northern Tool for 11 bucks. Works great!! :)

Shiloh :castmine:

jleneave
02-13-2008, 10:42 PM
Stupid Question Alert!!!!

What is a letter stamp and where can you get them?? I have been marking my ingots with a black Sharpie permanent marker. I started out trying to scratch info on them with a sharpened small screw driver. I have been looking for a good way to mark the weight and composition of them on the ingots. Any help would be appreciated.

mooman76
02-13-2008, 10:45 PM
I just use a majic marker. WW for wheel weights. SL for soft lead.

Scrounger
02-13-2008, 10:48 PM
I see nothing wrong with a Magic Marker, simple solution to a simple problem. But I did buy a set of number/letter stamps at Harbor Freight pretty reasonable 5 or 6 years ago.

pumpguy
02-13-2008, 10:48 PM
Make sure you use magic marker identified ingots fairly quickly. Even the huge permanent ones fade in time.

I got my letter stamp set for under ten bucks at Harbor Freight.

jleneave
02-13-2008, 11:23 PM
Make sure you use magic marker identified ingots fairly quickly. Even the huge permanent ones fade in time.

I got my letter stamp set for under ten bucks at Harbor Freight.

Is the stamp set from Harbor Freight in the red box with "Pittsburg" on it? How are they holding up?? I am thinking of ordering a set from there.

IcerUSA
02-14-2008, 01:11 AM
Them stamps from HF will last a life time marking lead , now steel is another matter :)

Keith

DLCTEX
02-14-2008, 06:47 AM
The only ingots I mark are special alloyed mixes. The wheelweight ones have a ring when dropped onto the concrete floor and pure just has a thud. They also have a different look, so if one in the pile looks different, it gets the ring test. I keep them sorted in seperate crates when smelted. Dale