PDA

View Full Version : My .500 JRH

44man
11-30-2014, 11:19 AM
I told you of the trouble with deer going 100 to 120 yards with my hard WFN. Water dropped WW metal, just a hole with no blood on back trails. I made a softer nose with 3# of pure and 1# of WW, just half the ogive. Last 3 deer dropped in place, huge 8 point and huge doe. Thanksgiving morning, had a doe come in as soon as I laid the revolver on my legs. Dumped her right there. Then a big 6 point came in and he made 20 yards with a huge blood trail. No need to track. The doe had much bone damage in the shoulders. The buck was hit back more but lungs were destroyed. Boolit is working now.
Yes we can kill two deer a day. I am maxed on doe tags but we have ML season yet.
I tagged and gave the 8 point to my friend and one doe and the 6 point to the lady where I hunt. I cut and wrapped for the lady. I have two in my freezer.
Small change to the boolit was all it took.
Not been able to get to cast boolits for days so don't know if I posted before. If I did, forgive me. Here is the picture again in any case. 123240

FlatTop45LC
11-30-2014, 11:25 AM
You know that makes me wonder if my boolits are too hard. I am shooting 18 bhn at roughly 20 kpsi.

monge
11-30-2014, 11:33 AM
Great shooting nice deer !

white eagle
11-30-2014, 11:50 AM
nice we can tailor our boolits to meet our needs aint it?
good score on the deer

44man
11-30-2014, 12:21 PM
You know that makes me wonder if my boolits are too hard. I am shooting 18 bhn at roughly 20 kpsi.
It was strange with my 20 to 22 BHN boolits, 440 gr at 1350 fps, poked holes. Even more strange is half the nose softer to change it so much. I will not soften the drive length of the boolit.
But the .44 and .475 can be left hard. Both work as is.

FlatTop45LC
11-30-2014, 03:37 PM
It was strange with my 20 to 22 BHN boolits, 440 gr at 1350 fps, poked holes. Even more strange is half the nose softer to change it so much. I will not soften the drive length of the boolit.
But the .44 and .475 can be left hard. Both work as is.
I don't have the time to change this season as we are already two weeks in and have 2 months to go but I intend to shoot 5 meat does and at least one buck. I hope to shoot all of these with my 45 Colt. May try standing in water and running a torch over the tips of the Keith bullets.

44man
11-30-2014, 06:02 PM
I don't have the time to change this season as we are already two weeks in and have 2 months to go but I intend to shoot 5 meat does and at least one buck. I hope to shoot all of these with my 45 Colt. May try standing in water and running a torch over the tips of the Keith bullets.
Could work, I never tried it let us know results.

44magLeo
12-01-2014, 08:22 PM
There is a guy on here that cast softpoint boolits. He does it by casting just the nose of straight lead. It takes some experimenting to get just the right amount of lead for just the nose. Once you have a bunch of noses cast, you put a nose in your mold then fill it up with a hard alloy.
He then heats the mold till the sprue melts. He then cools the mold to harden the boolit. Then opens the mold. Out drops a hard bodied soft point boolit. You can even water drop them to add a few points to the BHN.
There's more to it than that but if you want to search for it I'm sure it can be found.
Several others have tried it and found it works great.
I think I'll try it with my 429421 mold. It should improve the results in my 1894 44 Mag.
Leo

leftiye
12-02-2014, 07:32 AM

I don't use water. Stand 'em up, paint the nose with 300 degree tempilaq. Heat only until templiaq melts. Viola! (sp)

leftiye
12-02-2014, 07:36 AM
There is a guy on here that cast softpoint boolits. He does it by casting just the nose of straight lead. It takes some experimenting to get just the right amount of lead for just the nose. Once you have a bunch of noses cast, you put a nose in your mold then fill it up with a hard alloy.
He then heats the mold till the sprue melts. He then cools the mold to harden the boolit. Then opens the mold. Out drops a hard bodied soft point boolit. You can even water drop them to add a few points to the BHN. There's more to it than that but if you want to search for it I'm sure it can be found. Several others have tried it and found it works great. I think I'll try it with my 429421 mold. It should improve the results in my 1894 44 Mag. leo

Use boolits cast of the alloy that you want the noses to be and of the weight that you want (to fill the ogive). Put them in the mold and melt them. Fill with base of boolit alloy.

44man
12-02-2014, 10:52 AM
I did try the method but did not like the stress on the mold or the time per boolit. What I did was a small dipper from one pot and hard from the other, dipper in left hand, mold handles held shut with a rubber band. level on a board. pour the little dipper and right behind with a ladle in my right hand. Still got a little seam but a 50 yard group with both full hard and the soft nose worked in gave me 3/4".
No idea of expansion, can't find a boolit in the ground, might be sticking up in china. But dang, has it killed deer. Seeing damage I would NEVER use a HP. Takes very little change.
I used 3# of pure with 1# of WW and only half the nose. Water dropped to keep base hard.