PDA

View Full Version : Powder coated more 45 acp's today

bigarm
11-29-2014, 08:37 PM
Tried out my new powder coating gun that I got yesterday when I exchanged the one that quit working. It worked well. It was my first time to use my powder coating booth that I built. It worked very well, but still got a haze of powder coating in the air, but not nearly as much as before. Might need to think about adding an exhaust fan to it. Still it contained the powder much better and as I was wearing a respirator I am pretty good with it. My wife is worried about the cats in my shop though. I did open the shop when I was finished coating and cleaning up to clean up the air a little. However, at 17 degrees or whatever it was, don't want to leave the big door open very long. Most of my 45's came out fairly good. Did have one batch that was not as shiney. Think the heat went down. They looked more satin than glossy, but the coating did not come off when I sized them so I think they are fine. Just not as pretty. Will probably try to finish up the 45's I have already made tomorrow.

Avery Arms
11-29-2014, 09:20 PM
What time in the morning were you working for it to be 17 degrees? It was around 75 here by mid-day.

RP
11-29-2014, 10:00 PM
If its a HF gun adjust the volume so your not using so much powder and also may want to reduce the air pressure may cut down on the dust cloud.

bigarm
11-30-2014, 12:11 AM
What time in the morning were you working for it to be 17 degrees? It was around 75 here by mid-day.

About 2 this afternoon!

bigarm
11-30-2014, 12:23 AM
If its a HF gun adjust the volume so your not using so much powder and also may want to reduce the air pressure may cut down on the dust cloud.
Thanks I will try that. I have the pressure about 25, don't know if I can get it much lower. For volume, do you adjust the brass thing or the screw underneath the pipe?

bangerjim
11-30-2014, 12:31 AM
You adjust your air pressre with one of the $6 HF regulators with the gauge on it. The are great. Do NOT buy the "flow control" thing. It does nothing for what we are trying to do.

I get my air down from 120# line pressure to 9-12# at the gun.

banger

bigarm
11-30-2014, 01:26 AM
I have an extra regulator at the coating booth. I will see if I can get it lower. I think I have it set around 25# at the moment.

RP
11-30-2014, 02:37 AM
Slotted plug under the barrel if is a HF gun to tighten the spray pattern. There is a thread on it here odds are a few pages back by now. Look under the barrel for a slotted plug also will be in your manual. A the ones in line cut the pressure mostly after the trigger is pulled but will build and give a burst of air at first, which is fine while your spraying but not worth a poot with a nail gun unless your doing a rapid fire.

bangerjim
11-30-2014, 02:11 PM
The adjustment on the HF gun is ONLY a flow control and will NOT control pressure!

That is why the "poof" of air when you pull the trigger! Pressure B4 the gun builds to line pressure when flow stops. You do NOT want that. Flow contol is OK for continuous air feed (el cheepo) paint sprayers.

You absolutely need a pressure REGULATOR just before the gun to get your line pressure down to the 10# or so range. You will have to play with the pressure depending on the dymamics of your air lines and system.

25# is waaaaaaay to high for anything I have ever done with ESPC!

That HF REGULATOR with the gauge I mentioned above is great. So small and light you can mount it right on the end of the gun.

bangerjim

bigarm
11-30-2014, 02:40 PM
I have a HF regulator/moisture filter right at the booth at the end of my regular air compressor hose and then a shorter hose attached to it that goes to the gun.

Smoke4320
11-30-2014, 07:49 PM
Try to get you incoming pressure down to about 8-10 psi. You will use much less powder
And still get good results

bigarm
11-30-2014, 10:48 PM
I got the pressure down today. At first I think it was a little low so upped it just a bit and I seemed to get good coverage and not have as much over spray. Still have the rest of my 40's to do, so will experiment a little more. It seemed when I changed from the HF red to Smoke's Carolina Blue I had more over spray. I am thinking I can go lower on the pressure with the blue than I can with the red. Do you think that is possible? I will try that when I finish the 40's up in the next couple of days hopefully. Overall I am fairly happy with my results the past two days. I am getting better results so I think fine tuning might be next.

Smoke4320
12-01-2014, 02:26 PM
Yes the powders I sell are much more fine grained and will spray at a lower pressure.. you will get many more bullets per pound over HF Powders