PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen a Taurus Curve?

Artful
11-29-2014, 12:02 PM
The world’s first and only curved firearm engineered to fit the unique contours of your body, Taurus Curve™ is one ultra-comfortable, ultra-reliable personal defense handgun.

Your body has curves, so why aren’t pistols shaped to match? That’s precisely the question our engineering team challenged themselves to answer-and the results are unlike anything you’ve seen before. Introducing the Taurus Curve™, the world’s first and only curved firearm. Engineered to fit the unique contours of your body with no visible printing, the Curve is easily one of the most groundbreaking firearms ever conceived. An extreme departure from your typical compact .380, you’ll find the Curve takes form and function to an entirely unprecedented level. With its patented, snag-free design, the Curve boasts the industry’s first-ever light and laser built right into the frame. Exceptionally accurate and extremely lightweight at just 10.2 ounces, the Curve is one ultra-comfortable, ultra-reliable personal defense handgun.

Features

First-ever LED light and laser built into frame

Smooth lines ensure no visible printing

Snag-free design

Bore-axis sighting system for instinctual shooting

Built-in holster-free belt clip

.380 ACP, 6+1 capacity

Lightweight 10.2 ounce subcompact pistol

http://monderno.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/the-all-new-taurus-curve.jpg
http://monderno.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Taurus-Curve-180CRV-1.jpg
http://monderno.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Taurus-Curve-180CRV-5.jpg
http://www.taurususa.com/curve/the-all-new-taurus-curve-USA-made.jpg
http://www.taurususa.com/whats-new-the-curve.cfm

Love Life
11-29-2014, 12:06 PM
I just threw up in my mouth a little.

dubber123
11-29-2014, 12:07 PM

Only a little?

jonp
11-29-2014, 12:28 PM
That is one butt ugly gun but could make a nice pocket pistol depending on price. I'm wondering if it will shoot around corners

MT Gianni
11-29-2014, 12:35 PM
Design sure threw marketing a curve didn't they.

1Shirt
11-29-2014, 01:05 PM
Will be interesting to see the reports on this ugly looking critter! Probably make a good put away investment as a collectable if only a few are made.
1Shirt!

waco
11-29-2014, 01:13 PM
I think it's retarded and would never dream of spending any amount of $$$ on it. Just MHO

btroj
11-29-2014, 01:15 PM
I don't care how practical they are, I can't buy ugly guns.

I don't see this one selling but hey, they sell enough Judges and Ranch Hands to keep making them.

seaboltm
11-29-2014, 01:18 PM
I can get over the looks. I can't get over the lack or real world function. An LED light integrated for what is essentially a backup gun or deep concealed carry piece? Why? Laser, OK if your eyes are bad but there are less ugly ways to do it. In a night defensive situation, flashlights and lasers work . . . . both ways. I like the over "fit in your pocket" curved shape as it will certainly make printing less of an issue.

theperfessor
11-29-2014, 02:16 PM
I like all the features. If it worked reliably and was competitively priced I would consider buying one. I have lots of pretty guns, most too big to carry all the time.

Fergie
11-29-2014, 02:55 PM
What do lefties do? Carry it upside down?

dubber123
11-29-2014, 04:12 PM
That is one butt ugly gun but could make a nice pocket pistol depending on price. I'm wondering if it will shoot around corners

I've seen a few Taurus guns that would shoot around corners.. ;)

country gent
11-29-2014, 05:03 PM
All the bells and whistles to court the wanna be market laser, light. belt clip. Im wonder how the mag drops with the curved grip frame, and how it inserts into frame. It also appears to have a europeon style mag release to get used to. Another gimick to catch attention

Stonecrusher
11-29-2014, 07:06 PM
I've seen a few Taurus guns that would shoot around corners.. ;)

Yeah! I had one!

seaboltm
11-29-2014, 07:23 PM
All the bells and whistles to court the wanna be market laser, light. belt clip. Im wonder how the mag drops with the curved grip frame, and how it inserts into frame. It also appears to have a europeon style mag release to get used to. Another gimick to catch attention

Magazine may be curved, which means a standard push button release may be hard to make work. Hence the bottom release.

Artful
11-29-2014, 09:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHR2xtYDzZc

http://www.gunsandammo.com/first-look/taurus-curve-380-pistol/

First Look: Taurus Curve
by G&A Staff | November 18th, 2014 | Photos by Sean Utley 0
http://www.gunsandammo.com/files/2014/11/taurus_curve_380_F.jpg
Rather than develop another pistol that requires people to conform around the dimensions of a gun, the new Taurus Curve conforms around the contours of the human body.

In terms of its concept as “The gun you wear,” Taurus has stepped outside the norm with its new Curve, offering a non-traditional form factor that aims for comfortable and clever concealment. In the spirit of its name, its curved polymer frame housing is designed to tuck up to your body when carried on the right side. Taurus has even received approval from the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on this arched-frame design, so if other manufacturers wish to adopt a similar concept, they’ll need to pay Taurus for the privileges.
Check out the full review of the Taurus Curve pistol in the January 2015 issue of Guns & Ammo. Subscribe here to print, digital or both.

Read our full review of the Taurus Curve in the Jan. 2015 issue of Guns & Ammo. Subscribe here to print, digital or both.

This .380 ACP pistol is also heavily radiused at every corner, producing a carry gun that prints discreetly in your pocket or waistline like a smartphone. That’s right, no holster needed. A removable belt clip is also bolted to the right side of the frame, allowing the pistol to be worn in your waistline for clever concealment with an included triggerguard protector.

The omission of an external safety, a slide release lever and iron sights also results in snag-free carry. Aiming the hammer-fired, double-action only (DAO) pistol can happen one of three ways. Some will want to simply point-shoot this pistol at close-range targets. Others will use the crosshairs etched on the rear of the slide. However, G&A anticipates that most will activate the on-board red laser and LED light module produced for the Curve by LaserLyte. Why no iron sights on the slide, you might ask? One theory is that self-defense with a .380 fired from a sub 3-inch barrel resembles more of a point-and-shoot task than a bullseye competition. With a bit of practice, getting hits on torso targets positioned across an average-sized room (15 ft.) was no problem during G&A’s initial testing this summer.

Getting a grip of the slide is achieved by grabbing hold of the Curve’s external snakeskin-like cocking serrations. Users will also find it easy to manipulate the slide. Because the Taurus Curve is a locked-breech pistol and not a blowback design, it is easy for almost anyone to manipulate including those with dexterity or strength issues. The necessary recoil spring weight of locked-breech pistols is generally far lighter than that of a blowback firearm.

Taurus lists that safety features of the Curve include a loaded chamber indicator atop the slide and a magazine disconnect safety.

The Taurus Curve is expected to appear in stores during the first quarter of 2015 with an MSRP of $392. To learn more about the Curve, read our full review in the January 2015 issue of Guns & Ammo, available on newsstands December 2, 2014.

Until then, please enjoy G&A’s exclusive first-look photos of the Taurus Curve

WallyM3
11-29-2014, 09:38 PM
I'd definitely try it.

Fishman
11-30-2014, 12:08 AM
My eyes! My eyes!

Pactically speaking, no sights = no go because dead battery = dead gunowner. At least that's the way I see it.

Bzcraig
11-30-2014, 02:19 AM
Yes this is the same Taurus that gave us the View 38 revolver.

WallyM3
11-30-2014, 02:33 AM
Dead battery...car no start. Dead battery...survival equipment no work.

What's the difference? I change the oil in my vehicles.

And Ford produced the Edsel.

JHeath
11-30-2014, 02:33 AM
Try looking at it as a pocket flashlight instead of a pistol, and it gets easier.

WallyM3
11-30-2014, 02:39 AM
Or a pocket pistol with a flash light.

Or an aircraft heavier than air that can fly!

I'm more than a little surprised at the responses here to potentially workable innovation without the usual insistence on "actual hands-on results to report."

Maybe I'm to young and stupid.

oldred
11-30-2014, 03:21 AM
Ugh!!!! I feel a migraine coming on! I am just trying my best to un-see this!

osteodoc08
11-30-2014, 03:58 AM
As controversial as it may be, Taurus has been very innovative with its firearms. Love them or hate them, they do continue to push the envelope. Look at how many designs have been copied FROM Taurus such as The Judge
The polymer revolver

and design novelties such as
a 22lr/mag DA revolver with easily swappable cylinders.

im sure there are tons more but that's all my brain has at 3am

JSnover
11-30-2014, 07:40 AM
The battery issue wouldnt worry me, since the trigger is manually operated. I own a .32 acp and a .380, neither of which have lights or lasers. I bought them in case of an up-close encounter, not for making eye socket shots at 75 yards in poor light.

jeepyj
11-30-2014, 08:18 AM
It is a bit off in the looks department however for a carry I think I'd consider one. I'll have to see it when my LGS gets one in.
jeepyj

leftiye
11-30-2014, 08:19 AM
I'm purty shore that excuse for a crown on the muzzle won't help any.

monge
11-30-2014, 09:26 AM
Looks like it will fill with dirt and lint and coins to many places for **** to get stuck in neat idea not sold on .380s yet .

flounderman
11-30-2014, 09:48 AM
The first rule in a gun fight is, have a gun. This one is an easy carry and is not intended for a shoot out across the street. If you needed it, it would be at a range of less than ten feet. The lazer and light have the advantages of indicating point of impact and blinding your opponent, plus the intimidation factor. If the price is right, this gun should sell. It doesn't make any difference how pretty your gun is, how many shells it holds, what it cost, or anything else if it is home and not with you when you need it.

bedbugbilly
11-30-2014, 09:57 AM
Add a lighter, corkscrew and a awl blade and walla! A swiss army pistol?

It may appeal to some but it sure doesn't to me. I sometimes wonder if junior high kids are hired to do some companies design work. About all this thing is lacking is a compass embedded in the grip, a whistle in the end of the butt and a secret decoding ring attached to the trigger guard.

A few will sell as there are always those who want to be "up with the newest designs". I just can't see how this could compete with proven designs by other manufacturers regardless of the price. But hey . . . I'm old . . .

Love Life
11-30-2014, 11:15 AM
I have prettier guns, made by better companies, that I carry without issue. I see no need for me to buy a gun that looks like something I hacked up after a night of hard drinking and heavy smoking.

Sheeoot...my mom carries a M&P in 45 acp...all the time and she is about 115 lbs.

rintinglen
11-30-2014, 11:49 AM
Add a lighter, corkscrew and a awl blade and walla! A swiss army pistol?

It may appeal to some but it sure doesn't to me. I sometimes wonder if junior high kids are hired to do some companies design work. About all this thing is lacking is a compass embedded in the grip, a whistle in the end of the butt and a secret decoding ring attached to the trigger guard.

Hey, I'd consider buying one then-I lost my secret decoder ring.

I have serious issues with this notion that a gun will only be used in short range situations. One of the issues the FBI Agents ran into in Florida was that the Snubbies that they ended up using didn't work well at the distances they were trying to use them. I passed on the Seecamp for exactly that reason. A former LAPD detective of my acquaintance carried a 6 inch Official Police because he had an armed robber escape when he couldn't get a hit with his j-frame 38 Smith.

white eagle
11-30-2014, 12:00 PM
new things seem to rattle alot of old schoolers cages but sooner or later they accept them
I think its a good idea myself if you want to carry and conceal a gun why not have it very concealable with minimal effort

Uncle R.
11-30-2014, 12:41 PM

Yep. It sure is ugly. It's an abomination against nature, an affront to all things beautiful or even just symmetrical.

new things seem to rattle alot of old schoolers cages but sooner or later they accept them
I think its a good idea myself if you want to carry and conceal a gun why not have it very concealable with minimal effort

This. ^^^^^
IF it works and IF it's reliable (one mustn't assume - after all, it's a Taurus) it might prove to be very popular.
Remember, many people who carry are NOT firearms aficionados as almost all on this forum are. Many who carry do so for strictly practical reasons and don't give two hoots if their carry pistol has classic lines. They want a light weight, reliable and effective gun that's comfortable to carry and easy to conceal. To those people (and there are a lot of them) this design might look like it's worth a try.

As for me - I don't think I could bring myself to own one.
Urk!

Uncle R.

JSnover
11-30-2014, 12:42 PM
Law enforcement officers face these scenarios in a different context. My objective is to break my attackers momentum long enough to escape. If he's beyond my effective range and I choose to press my assault it's no longer a defensive shooting. Even if I miss with .44 magnum, if that keeps his head down long enough for me to break contact, that's good enough.

Quiettime
11-30-2014, 02:14 PM
As controversial as it may be, Taurus has been very innovative with its firearms. Love them or hate them, they do continue to push the envelope. Look at how many designs have been copied FROM Taurus such as The Judge
The polymer revolver

and design novelties such as
a 22lr/mag DA revolver with easily swappable cylinders.

Well they sure copied enough of S&W designs for decades...

A de-horned carry pistol is nothing new and certainly can't be attributed to Taurus. But if they market it right, it could be profitable. More people are carrying now than ever and a lot of them aren't "gun people".

Personally have a rather dim view of Taurus' quality and customer service. I'll pass but it is a nice idea for those looking for a more "comfortable comfort"

osteodoc08
11-30-2014, 11:43 PM
Well they sure copied enough of S&W designs for decades...

A de-horned carry pistol is nothing new and certainly can't be attributed to Taurus. But if they market it right, it could be profitable. More people are carrying now than ever and a lot of them aren't "gun people".

Personally have a rather dim view of Taurus' quality and customer service. I'll pass but it is a nice idea for those looking for a more "comfortable comfort"

Thats what happens when they're owned by the same parent company (Bangor Punta) for a while and share methodology, design, and the same tooling in Brasil. Beretta also sold a plant they had in Brasil to Taurus.....including the tooling, hence the PT-92.

But I agree, their CS and QC don't have the most stellar reputation and is deserved.

JHeath
12-01-2014, 12:32 AM
I'm purty shore that excuse for a crown on the muzzle won't help any.

That threw me at first, but look at the photo with the slide retracted. It's got a normal symmetrical muzzle.

Hannibal
12-01-2014, 12:36 AM
Well, I'm a revolver guy. If you try it 6 times and you still have a problem, then today just isn't your day. Seriously.

tazman
12-01-2014, 09:15 PM
That curved grip is supposed to be ergonomic and make it aim more naturally, particularly for some one new to firearms. The ergonomic concept has worked in a lot of other handheld designs for tools and such. If it fits your hand properly, I see no reason you would even need sights at close range. Just grab it and it is automatically pointed in the right direction.
A number of years ago(30 or so), the hammer manufacturing company I worked for developed a curved, fitted handle. It was proven in tests that it made it more difficult to actually miss a strike with the hammer. If you were looking where you wanted it to hit, it just naturally went there. The concept was too expensive to produce at the time. Now that molded grips on hammers are common, they are going back to the design. It is possible this will work in much the same manner.

Nicholas
12-01-2014, 09:59 PM
Apparently the shape was good enough to be granted a patent according to the G&A review, so there is no worry that other makers will copy the idea.

TCLouis
12-01-2014, 10:06 PM
Engineering and sales departments answer to a question no one ever asked.

Fishman
12-01-2014, 11:06 PM
Apparently the shape was good enough to be granted a patent according to the G&A review, so there is no worry that other makers will copy the idea.

Thank goodness!!

rking22
12-02-2014, 12:18 AM
TCLewis nailed it, why? surprised it dosen't have accesory rails for ...... stuff

SOFMatchstaff
12-02-2014, 01:08 AM
I've had enough "curves" thrown at me by Taurus over the years, dont need any more. The last one, a PT 145 Moe-linneeum has had more surgeries than Joan Rivers and still cant be trusted. What a terd.

FergusonTO35
12-03-2014, 11:44 PM
I really don't think any gun could be more comfortable to carry than my little Kel-Tec P32. So easy to carry that it feels like cheating, and I shoot it very well. I like Taurus' medium frame revolvers, really wish they would bring back the 83.

Pinsnscrews
12-04-2014, 04:42 PM
The first thing my wife said when she saw it "so I can use the little flashlight bit to see the door lock when I work late shift right?" That means to me she would have the gun in hand at night, in the dark...ugly or not, if it means my wife is more inclined to carry it and use it, even if it is to light up the door lock to see, I am game...

Geezer in NH
12-04-2014, 05:43 PM
Taurus? I will pass, in my last employment (self) as an FFL I had nothing but problems with that maker. Bad guns no fix by warranty , Depend on my life for them pass.

I do use Keltec's that everyone on the internet says sucks, but that is from my own testing and the company actually fixing them.

Geezer in NH
12-04-2014, 05:45 PM
The first thing my wife said when she saw it "so I can use the little flashlight bit to see the door lock when I work late shift right?" That means to me she would have the gun in hand at night, in the dark...ugly or not, if it means my wife is more inclined to carry it and use it, even if it is to light up the door lock to see, I am game... Or shoot the lock, or you or who knows.

IMHO a light on a gun is not a flashlight to use for other than when you need to shoot.

Pinsnscrews
12-05-2014, 03:16 AM
That was tongue in cheek Geezer, at least, with MY Wife it was. Still, she is seriously looking into the Ruger LCR with the CT grips, and I will in no way stop her from getting it when she does decide to get one.

old benn
12-08-2014, 08:05 PM
O O Oh . . hold on now. Don't look no worse than a run-o-mill Glock.

bob208
12-09-2014, 10:11 AM
if you can not sell guns with good ideas. sell them with cheap gimmicks.

SPRINGFIELDM141972
12-10-2014, 04:34 PM
O O Oh . . hold on now. Don't look no worse than a run-o-mill Glock.

+1 on that.

nekshot
12-10-2014, 06:43 PM
lf it gets folks into guns I am all for it!! The more sales for firearms the better!

Tackleberry41
12-10-2014, 07:19 PM
Funny somebody thinks outside the box a little and everybody dumps all over it. Was a time when I wouldn't own a semi auto without an exposed hammer and all metal construction. Now I have 3 polymer guns, 2 striker fired. You can make something pretty light that way, and way cheaper to mold polymer than to machine steel. Cant complain at all about my S&W bodyguard 380, or my M&P shield.

As pointed out, most who would be interested in something like this, probably arent gun people like us. And its not like glocks win beauty contests with their brick like lines. And it doesnt really look like a gun, so might be a good thing. I wont say its a terrible idea, and never know might buy one if I got ahold of one. Yea it doesn't have sights, but its a 380 pocket gun, how many 380s are made as target guns. Its an up close and personal thing. My bodyguard 380 has a laser built in, a nice feature, cant see much use for a light but never know. Being a lefty I can see an issue with the curve aspect to it.

Geezer in NH
12-13-2014, 08:30 PM
she is seriously looking into the Ruger LCR with the CT grips, and I will in no way stop her from getting it when she does decide to get one. Know what you mean

hornetguy
12-14-2014, 10:21 PM
"Walla" ??? *** is that?

I think this is an attempt at appealing to an audience that is not particularly gun-savvy, but can see the advantages of having a light, laser set up in a reasonably potent (close range) self defense firearm. As an added bonus, you don't really need to buy a holster to keep it in place, nor do you have to worry about it "printing" with it clipped on your belt. It's designed to print like a cell phone or other electronic device.
Personally, I'm a "form follows function" kind of guy. I don't give a flying flip what others think about my choice in guns, cars, cigars, or scotch.
If this works the way Taurus envisioned it, it should be a pretty nice little "last ditch" defensive tool.