PDA

View Full Version : Why so much for a 2001 Marlin?

Artful
11-29-2014, 11:50 AM
I know it's JM marked but really...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=453860524
Marlin 336 SS 30-30 Lever Action 336SS $1START http://www.gunbroker.com/image/p.gif

UNFIRED CONN CT MADE STAINLESS STEEL RIFLE IN BOX

Auction # 453860524

Please if you are the buyer or seller to see more helpful information.

http://www.gunbroker.com/image/gavel-short-69x69.gif
This item has been Sold!

Click to view (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=453860524#PIC)
http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/453860000/453860524/thumb.jpg (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=453860524#PIC)

http://www.gunbroker.com/image/watch-this-60px.gif

http://www.gunbroker.com/image/BidDescIcon.gif (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=453860524#DESC)

Current Bid
$2,400.00 No Reserve! http://www.gunbroker.com/image/questionmarkblue12x12.gif (http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.aspx?FAQID=1056&NoCount=1)

Started at
$1.00

Quantity

# of bids
46 Bid History (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewBidHistory.aspx?Item=453860524)

Time left
Listing has Ended
15 minute rule (http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.aspx?FAQID=1036&NoCount=1)

Start

11/18/2014 9:33:00 PM ET (This is a 9 day auction)

http://www.gunbroker.com/image/StateFlags/VT.gif

Ends On or After

11/27/2014 10:20:18 PM ET (GunBroker.com Official Time) (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/DisplayTime.aspx)

dragon813gt
11-29-2014, 12:19 PM
Because there is presently an artificial market for Marlins. Once ALL the QC controls are worked out by Remington the prices will come down. The seller is dreaming w/ that price. It's not an 1894CB in 32 H&R. Watched one of them sell for $3k.

JM stamped Marlins will command some premium but currently they're over inflated. Marlins are workhorse guns. And contrary to what people say the CT plant turned out plenty of turds as well. Like I said, when Remington has all the QC issues worked out you will be able to buy a better rifle then the CT plant ever turned out. That's what modern machining techniques are for.

pietro
11-29-2014, 12:36 PM

Although $2400 seems a bit out of line, a serious Marlin collector knows that the stainless 336SS was the only stainless .30-30 made in NH prior to the Remington aquisition of Marlin, and the subsequent moves of Marlin production to NYS (first) & KY that allowed significant Marlin QC issues to arise with the loss of many seasoned (former) Marlin employees.

That 336SS appears to be NIB, with the original SN'd box & papers - a real plus to a serious collector.

Artful
11-29-2014, 12:46 PM
The seller is dreaming w/ that price.

It's not an 1894CB in 32 H&R. Watched one of them sell for $3k.

Reading is fundimental - that's showing the winning bid of $2,400.00!

I'd think the seller is having a great time Xmas shopping now.

TXGunNut
11-29-2014, 12:54 PM
A mind-boggling thing, for sure. Good example of why I don't play the collectibles game. My theory is that it's driven by gullible suckers and enterprising promoters and I don't care to be either one of them.

30calflash
11-29-2014, 01:18 PM
Probably low production numbers as stated it was built prior to the NH Ct. plant closing. Someone with deep pockets had to own it.

Gtek
11-29-2014, 03:47 PM
I am not at all surprised or even shocked. Everything else I have seen and read over the past week defies all logic, this is but a blip. Is it just me getting to be an old man or is everything bass ackwards and upside down!

TXGunNut
11-29-2014, 04:37 PM
Logic does seem to be in short supply today, suspect that is the new norm.

imashooter2
11-29-2014, 05:25 PM
Well, the short answer is because someone wanted it just a little bit more than the guy that bid $2,300.

OverMax
11-29-2014, 07:04 PM
Good for the seller. Good for the winning bidder. ("They both got what they wanted.")

Guesser
11-29-2014, 10:16 PM
Marlin 1894 FG 41 Magnums are over 3000$ on GB.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-29-2014, 11:19 PM
Because there is presently an artificial market for Marlins. Once ALL the QC controls are worked out by Remington the prices will come down. The seller is dreaming w/ that price. It's not an 1894CB in 32 H&R. Watched one of them sell for $3k.

JM stamped Marlins will command some premium but currently they're over inflated. Marlins are workhorse guns. And contrary to what people say the CT plant turned out plenty of turds as well. Like I said, when Remington has all the QC issues worked out you will be able to buy a better rifle then the CT plant ever turned out. That's what modern machining techniques are for.
Dragon,
I don't always agree with you, and turd is kind of a strong word... but the second JM marlin I bought had a serious QC problem with the machine work on the barrel shank's extractor seat.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?234043-Marlin-1894-(41-mag)-with-ejection-issues-need-HELP-!&highlight=

Whooly smoke !

fouronesix
11-30-2014, 12:20 AM
"I'm in the money, I'm in the money!" or how ever that song goes. 'Wholly' smokes is right. Hadn't owned a Marlin lever in 20 years then bought an as new, pre-safety 94 in 38/357 a few years ago at a gunshow for 260.00 OTD. It is OK and a fun gun to shoot, but no way-no how is it worth what this nutso "JM" Marlin market is doing right now.

Bazoo
11-30-2014, 12:32 AM
I gave 1300 for an 1894c just now. I had several in the past and traded them off. For me, the reason is, I want it. I dont care about money, and I wouldnt sell the rifle I just bought for 10k, because...I want it.

C A Plater
11-30-2014, 12:47 AM
I had no idea they command such a high price and it almost makes me consider selling the one I have. But I'd really miss it and they may never come back so I'm keeping it.

sthwestvictoria
11-30-2014, 05:10 AM
Much like Beanie Babies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beanie_Babies), pre-Remlin Marlins are also selling for silly money here in Australia at the moment. However I feel (no evidence for this on my part) that they are being bought by the investor/collector crowd and not the shooters.

Bazoo
11-30-2014, 07:54 AM
I am a shooter. I want a high quality user. I could have went with various other guns for half or 3/4 as much, But I want a marlin. Could have gotten a remington made one. Im an odd duck though. I dont think wow this gun costs x and its not worth that. I think, man, the gun I want costs x, how can I trade around and get said gun.

JSnover
11-30-2014, 08:00 AM
I gave 1300 for an 1894c just now.
Holy ****! I should dust mine off and list it. Even if I only get half as much that's still twice what paid for it.

dragon813gt
11-30-2014, 08:22 AM
I gave 1300 for an 1894c just now.

That's a $300-$600 premium. Obviously do what you want w/ your money. But they routinely sell for $700 on another forum. $1k is a high price and it has to be one of the Octagon barrels to get close to that cost. I understand buying a gun because you want it. But at the end of the day I still look at value. Marlin'e are over inflated and the bubble will burst.

historicfirearms
11-30-2014, 10:30 AM
Did the bubble ever burst of pre-64 Winchesters? No, they have gone down some from their high a few years ago, but they still command a premium over post 64 rifles. Even if the quality of Remlins catches up to old JM, the damage is already done. There will always be those, myself included, that will prefer a REAL Marlin, and so, the price will always be more than the new ones. That's just simple economics, no more JM Marlins will ever be produced. True, these are working man's rifles, and that's why lots of people like them. No ornate or showy BS, just good, honest quality.

Gtek
11-30-2014, 10:58 AM
Had to show the wife this thread, helping my situation with history of using the term investment purchase. He-He!

TXGunNut
11-30-2014, 11:12 AM
Had to show the wife this thread, helping my situation with history of using the term investment purchase. He-He!

Wish I'd bought a few for trading material, all mine are keepers even though Scopekiller is trying my patience at the moment.

joatmon
11-30-2014, 10:36 PM
I got the 1894 cowboy 32H&R and the 1894CP out of the safe to see if they looked worth it and they both seemed just the same as when I bought them so I put em back!

Aaron

W.R.Buchanan
12-02-2014, 05:44 PM
I have to inject a little sanity into this discussion. That gun is no more worth $2400 than something that isn't worth $700! I can't believe that someone is so Frigging stupid as to pay that. I don't care if he is the most knowledgeable collector in this country he ain't never going to get his money back let alone make a profit.

Oh,,, they only made a few of these? That's cuz nobody wanted that model! If it was popular they would have made more.

Rule #1 in collectables is that if it wasn't popular when currently available, it won't be popular now. Watch a few car auctions on TV and see what the oddball stuff goes for. Generally, not as much as they'd like!

Marlin rifles from the last 50+ years are "Generic Guns!" You can call them working guns or whatever denoted something you throw in the pickup and use like a tool. Cuz that is what they are meant to be. They were made to compete with Winchesters at the local Hardware Store where you bought your tools, and they did that by being cheaper.

The whole BS line about Marlin Quality prior to Remington's take over is pure BS. I have, and have had many of these guns and the pre Rem quality was just as spotty as the Immediate Post Rem guns,,, many of which were assembled from existing parts inventory. Many of them were also assembled by those "Highly Skilled Marlin Employees" and to use the term "Turds" is actually an insult to Feces every where. Half the time they couldn't even get the barrels screwed on right! That is the most basic of gun assembly procedures there is!

I have seen their work and I gotta say I was not impressed. When I see a barrel that isn't timed right I immediately know that 3 different people didn't care about their work that day. The guy who did it , the guy who inspected it, and the guy who shot it! I don't care how "Seasoned" they were they sucked outright the day mine came thru.

I have guns from 1958 to 2009. The early guns had better exterior finishes, but the interior machine work was pure krap done with tools that needed to be sharpened well before my gun came thru.

My later guns have really good interior machine work but the exterior finish is not as good as the early guns. The middle of the road guns (late 90's) were marginal as well and my M39AS is a perfect example. It took me 16 hours to get that gun so it would function properly and smooth out the insides. The machine work was atrocious, and this was a gun that retails for $679!

I buy these guns specifically to rework and resell. The reason why is they are cheap when used and I can get good money at resale,,, for the most popular models!

These are generic working guns, and to think that there is anything collectable about them is foolish. That's not to say that there aren't collectable Marlins. They just haven't made any for 70+ years. That $2400 gun may be collectable in 50 years but it ain't gonna bring more money any time soon other than from some other fool who thinks he's got something golden. He's also going to have to prove that is was rare. Hope he's got the documentation.

It's like saying you are collecting Toyota Camry's and you got one of the few red ones, so it is collectable.

Nobody gives a ship about Red Camry's!

I saw a completely hot-rodded 57 Chevy Bel Air go across the block at an auction recently. They had a reserve of $30K on the car. Nobody even bid on it. It was a 4 door!

None of this is meant to insult anyone here, and really only directed at the fools who bid on this one.

All of it is also My Not So Humble Opinion!

Randy

dragon813gt
12-02-2014, 06:58 PM
It's like saying you are collecting Toyota Camry's and you got one of the few red ones, so it is collectable.

Nobody gives a ship about Red Camry's!

Caution, thread drift. I agree w/ most of what you said. W/ the exception of what I quoted. Older people don't care about Red Camrys. People my age that grew up hot rodding Japanese and European cars do care. You will see a massive shift in the auctions over the next few decades. The muscle cars won't go away. But it's about buying cars from your childhood. For a lot of the younger people it's a Camry or Civic. It's hard to predict what will become collectible and worth a lot of money. But the trends are fairly easy to track.

I can't agree w/ the Pre '64 Winchester comment. There hasn't been enough time for this to happen to Marlin. Remington has already gotten their act together. Winchester never did so the old ones became more valuable. If Remington produces a higher quality gun then they will become more desirable then the old ones. Don't get me wrong. They aren't making anymore JM stamped rifles so that has it's own value. But it's still early and as more models become available from Remington only the serious collectors will be paying up for JM Marlins. Most will be happy to buy a new one at a reasonable price.

pietro
12-02-2014, 07:20 PM

Some folks like vanilla ice cream; and some folks like pistachio - as much as anyone doesn't agree with that fact, you kain't change it !

The same goes, with firearms.

imashooter2
12-02-2014, 07:42 PM
I have to inject a little sanity into this discussion. That gun is no more worth $2400 than something that isn't worth $700! I can't believe that someone is so Frigging stupid as to pay that. I don't care if he is the most knowledgeable collector in this country he ain't never going to get his money back let alone make a profit.
-snip-
Randy

I'd have to point out that someone else thought it was worth $2,300 plus. I wouldn't bet a dime on him not getting his money back by the time he decides to sell it.

W.R.Buchanan
12-02-2014, 07:57 PM
All of it is also My Not So Humble Opinion!

Toyota Camry's will never be collectable no matter how long you live.

Randy

Uncle R.
12-02-2014, 08:23 PM
I have to inject a little sanity into this discussion. That gun is no more worth $2400 than something that isn't worth $700!
Oh,,, they only made a few of these? That's cuz nobody wanted that model! If it was popular they would have made more.

Rule #1 in collectables is that if it wasn't popular when currently available, it won't be popular now.

I can't agree. As just one example, Winchester lever guns in .30-30 were far and away more popular than those turkeys in .219 Zipper. A model 94 in a small caliber high velocity varmint chambering has to be a world record for dumb ideas, and apparently they sold back then like concrete life jackets. But now? Their unpopularity in the day makes them extremely rare, and that rarity makes them WAY more desirable to collectors than a similar condition .30-30 would be. In many cases with firearms, unpopularity when first sold equals future collector demand.

I sympathize with some of your points, but I mostly disagree. JM rifles aren't perfect, but many of them (Most of them?) were at least pretty good, possibly excepting the last few months of production. I always thought the JM rifles were overall better made than model 94s - at least after 1964 - and I still do. There's no denying that many of the Remlins really are nasty - or at least really were - and it's perfectly logical that the market would put a premium on the older JM rifles. As others wrote I expect they will continue to command a premium and continue to be in demand for many, many years. I'll concede that prices strike me as kinda high right now, especially for the rare models and calibers. That's why I ain't buying - but I said that ten years ago too. Wish I had thought differently back then.

Uncle R.

rintinglen
12-02-2014, 08:23 PM

Randy

If you live long enough, they may be.
People collect Model T's, and pay silly money for them, but they are still just Fords. But I doubt many reading this thread will be around when that happens.

dragon813gt
12-02-2014, 08:59 PM

Randy

Ten years ago you could have said the same thing about the Nissan 240SX. Now they command a premium because they are desirable. And the more that are drifted into the walls during Formula D the less available and the greater the value of the remaining ones. Old Corollas, Civics, Accords and even Camrys are more valuable then you think. But this is really off topic and if you aren't part of that car scene you wouldn't understand.

johnny_xring
12-05-2014, 12:57 AM
One of the members on Marlin Owners Forum caught this one: 1894 Cowboy Carbine LTD in .41 Mag that was auctioned on 11-27-2014 on Gunbroker.

Are you ready?-- (better sit down)---$5,325.00 (US). I don't have the thread but, zowie, that's a lot of Benjamins.

Kind of reminds me of when the Hunt brothers tried to corner the silver market.

JX

therealhitman
12-05-2014, 12:14 PM

Genius!

BTW just picked up a brush-rashed 1894 CS from 1990 with a JM proof for $525 (Haggled down from $550). Yeah, its got a safety but it was reasonable so what the hey. A little longer but so much more "real" feeling than my Winchester .357 AE.

johnny_xring
12-05-2014, 11:09 PM
therealhitman,

Sounds reasonable to me. Sad that these things ("JM" 1894Cs) were so ignored when they were so plentiful and now that the factory tap is shut off --well, the market will prevail.

JX

starmac
12-07-2014, 03:33 AM
This thread makes that old jm stamped pre safety 45/70, I picked up this week for 350 bucks, look pretty shiny now.

Love Life
12-07-2014, 10:49 AM
It's all about what you want and are willing to pay. The SAA has been in production forever, and there are a bazillion new clones on the market. However, I still genuine Colt new production SAA revolvers selling for $1,500-$2,000 like it is going out of style.

Same for this. Some people want the real deal, and no copy no matter how well made or authientic will scratch that itch.

JSnover
12-07-2014, 11:22 AM
Same for this. Some people want the real deal, and no copy no matter how well made or authientic will scratch that itch.
Yup. The only magic in that little stamp is when they fork over a lot more than they should for it.

Bazoo
12-07-2014, 11:55 AM
I could have waited to find a great deal on an 1894c. But, its worth 1300 to me. If its not worth that to yall, dont buy one for that. I wouldnt sell it for twice that, because I like it. But I bought a Glock 42 and sold it after a few weeks for 400. I gave 450 plus tax. I could have got 500+, but im not yall, and I dont expect yall to understand. My life is not driven by the desire to get more money.

JSnover
12-07-2014, 12:19 PM
Don't get me wrong; if I paid $350 for mine and you offered me $1300 I'd take it!

SmokeEater2
12-07-2014, 11:00 PM

:shock: Holy cats! I bought one new years ago and I shoot the heck out of it. Too bad I didn't leave it unfired in the box I guess.

TXGunNut
12-10-2014, 05:27 PM
:shock: Holy cats! I bought one new years ago and I shoot the heck out of it. Too bad I didn't leave it unfired in the box I guess.

No, you did well. You've enjoyed a good gun over the years. Folks who pay stupid money for guns are in even shorter supply than collectible gun. Welcome to the forum!

BAGTIC
01-04-2015, 01:40 AM
What gives? I tried to sell a 1996 manufacture Marlin 1895 in perfect unfired condition for $800 and no one was even interested enough to make an offer.

Guesser
01-04-2015, 08:53 AM
Lots more 1895s are made than 1894FG models. Marlins in 41 have always been in short supply and great demand. I had an offer for my 1894FG a couple weeks ago; bout knocked me down, I declined but it was emphasized to me that it is a standing offer and he gave me several contact #s for when I change my mind. I can quadruple my investment and I've only had it a year.

Idaho Mule
01-04-2015, 01:25 PM
Don't know how Holy cats are but I got an new 1894C in 38/357 that I would let go. JM marked barrel, made in Conn, and this one has ballard rifling. I have no box or papers for it and cannot guarantee that it is unfired, but it sure looks unfired to me. Send me 1500.00 and it's yours :) JW

Idaho Mule
01-05-2015, 11:51 PM
Now THAT was a threadkiller. JW

onceabull
01-07-2015, 05:42 PM
The auctions "bid history" pretty much tells the story, just two guys locked up in bidding war for the last $1000++ of the action...Precisely what the sell side lives for !!! .. Onceabull