PDA

View Full Version : Shooting this weekend

k8bor
02-13-2008, 02:49 PM
Well I've been talking for a few weeks now about shooting BP from my 1895CB and it looks like it's time to put up or shut up. I dropped a couple hundred 30:1 boolits out of the Lee 405 gr. mould, lubed them with SPG and created (10) rounds each of (4) different loads, they are:

Fed 210 primer Lee 405gr. hb bullet – 30:1
Goex FFg – 62 gr. 36” drop tube
NO vegetable wad
Professional 7/16” bolt powder compressor
Starline once-fired unsized brass, thumb seat bullets
Mild Lee Crimp

Fed 210 primer Lee 405gr. hb bullet – 30:1
.060” vegetable wad
Mild Lee Crimp

CCI mag rifle primer Lee 405gr. hb bullet – 30:1
NO vegetable wad
Mild Lee Crimp

CCI mag rifle primer Lee 405gr. hb bullet – 30:1
.060” vegetable wad
Starline one-fired unsized brass, thumb seat bullets
Mild Lee Crimp

I'm only going to shoot 5 rounds each at 50 yards cradling the forestock on my hand laying on a sandbag as there's too much snow here in MI to make use of my 100 yard range, and I'm only shooting for general accuracy hoots anyway. I'm going to start with a clean bore, shoot 5, couple bore cleaner soaked patches, couple dry patches, shoot 5 more, etc.

Wish me luck, I'll post some pics. I'm pretty excited about this. I feel like I did at 6 years old with my dual "Fanner 50's" (yes, I did have them, AND the top eject lever action rifle that I can't remember who made now).

Jon K
02-13-2008, 09:35 PM
k8,

Did you anneal Starline brass? Starline is hard, and case will seal better when soft. Starting load sounds like a good one. should be pleasant to shoot and good accuracy.

Let us know how it does. I have been toying with the thought of trying BP in my 1895 CB.

Have Fun Shooting,

Jon

k8bor
02-14-2008, 08:15 AM
No I didn't but I will the next time, especially if one of these loads shows some promise. Just have to do about the top half of the brass, Correct?

I didn't even think about it until after I'd loaded the rounds. Oh well, better late than never I guess.

13Echo
02-14-2008, 11:50 AM
You may not get the best performance from your rifle until you anneal the brass. At least that was my experience with Starline brass in my 45-90. I could not get better than 3" to 5" at 100yds no matter what I tried till I annealed. The last time I shot the rifle would regularly do 1 to 1.5" at the same range. I did not have to anneal Remington brass for my Springfield to get decent performance. The Starline brass is first class, but, in my experience, very hard.

Jerry Liles

k8bor
02-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Thank you, I will certainly do it the next time around. Man, there's a lot of little details shooting black powder.

I'm also going to have to buy a couple more pounds of powder. Those cases just swallow the stuff!!!!!!!!

I have a .41 blackhawk I was thinking of stuffing with FFFg to try. I have a bunch of SWC in that caliber that I lubed with SPG so I was thinking of trying it out. I'm now assuming that I'd want to anneal that brass too?

montana_charlie
02-14-2008, 12:02 PM
From your load descriptions, you are testing primers...and testing them with, and without, wads.
I would have started with different powder charges lit by a single primer, but each guy gets to choose what he tests first.

Aside from accuracy, I expect you to learn how much you like that bullet weight.
I'm thinking it will make your (comparatively) light rifle hit you pretty hard.
I don't have one to sell, but I kinda think you'll be looking for a mould in the 300 grain (or less) range.
Your 1 in 20 rifling twist should work well with somewhat shorter bullets.

CM

k8bor
02-14-2008, 12:07 PM
What other bullet suggestions would you have. Whenever I get to looking at all of them, I get confused as to what will hold enough lube, etc.

Was looking at some of the "Big Lube" boolits. Has anyone actually done any accuracy test with those?

montana_charlie
02-14-2008, 12:28 PM
What other bullet suggestions would you have. Whenever I get to looking at all of them, I get confused as to what will hold enough lube, etc.
I don't know enough about it to actually recommend a particular bullet, and you may turn out to be quite satisfied with your 405 grainer.

But, speaking in a general way on the subject, NEI has three styles that all look useful. Those would be their #333, #334, and #335.
They are all gas check designs (for some reason) but I am sure you can order the mould with the GC step cut away.
They all have two lube grooves which look 'generous' enough, but I doubt that an insufficiency of lube is a problem that will bite you very hard in your short barrel.
Heck, those little collar button bullets (that everybody is so hot on for .577 Snider) just have one groove, and you can always put a lube cookie under the bullet if really needed...
CM